Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847996 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #1750 on: April 11, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »
Get off the fence and use it, JMX.
This, I'd like to hear prominent use of the Stick in some actually good song (read: not New Millennium).
I love New Millennium. Anyway yes, I'd love to hear some chapman stick on the new album.

Hopefully hanging out with Tony Levin this past tour can encourage JM to pick up the damn Chapman! LOL

Btw, the new Stick Men album rules.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1751 on: April 11, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
i find it interesting they chose this question to respond to considering his response.  I mean they must be getting tons of questions, and it was my assumption they're choosing to respond to the questions that will get the most fan excitement, like info about an instrumental/jm lyrics for example.  why answer a question that will get a negative fan response? unless they are just toying with us... :justjen

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1752 on: April 11, 2013, 10:45:40 AM »
Where are all the fellow NM dislikers?

You won't find 'em here, look another way.
xDDDD

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1753 on: April 11, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »

I'm just gonna ruin all their fun and say right here.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1754 on: April 11, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »

I'm just gonna ruin all their fun and say right here.
Right here too.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1755 on: April 11, 2013, 03:34:31 PM »
Question:  Will JM use the Chapman stick on the new record? 

Answer:  No.

Source:  https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/dream-theater-john-20130411/?cmpid=20130411/dream-theater/facebook/news-link/chapman-stick

Carry on, ladies and gentlemen.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1756 on: April 11, 2013, 03:46:56 PM »
Question:  Will JM use the Chapman stick on the new record? 

Answer:  I guess it's possible but idk

Source:  https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/dream-theater-john-20130411/?cmpid=20130411/dream-theater/facebook/news-link/chapman-stick

Carry on, ladies and gentlemen.

FTFY haha

Big news everyone!!! John Myung probably won't use the chapman stick on this album, but it's not impossible!!!  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1757 on: April 11, 2013, 04:21:23 PM »

You won't find 'em here, look another way.

:)

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #1758 on: April 11, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
John Petrucci
As of today, all writing, drum and guitar tracking (with the exception of solos) for the new DT album is complete! Will finish up bass next week...pumped!!

Aaaaaaaand it's almost done!
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1759 on: April 11, 2013, 05:46:42 PM »
 :omg:

Actually didn't know they had started tracking. thought they were still writing it !!!

Amazing !

Now just Vocals, Mix & Master !

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1760 on: April 11, 2013, 05:49:35 PM »
And keyboards, which is a very long process considering all the synths Jordan uses in the studio.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: April 11, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »
Not if he's all ready to go and switches via MIDI like he does live.

If he's got all his parts written then it shouldn't be that long.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: April 11, 2013, 05:55:39 PM »
I'd say we're well on course for a September release or earlier.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1763 on: April 11, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »

That wasn't really what I meant. He likes experimenting a lot and recording several layers of sound, which usually takes some time. Either way, it's really exciting that their recording process is almost coming to an end.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1764 on: April 11, 2013, 09:52:22 PM »
Aren't they tracking and writing kinda simultaniously these days?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1765 on: April 11, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
Aren't they tracking and writing kinda simultaniously these days?

Only for demos. I imagine after they get the songs perfected, they begin tracking the real album.

Offline Captain Reddot

« Reply #1766 on: April 12, 2013, 12:53:50 AM »
It's nice to know that they've taken time over writing and haven't pulled a Train of Thought, because we all know they can do that...the fact that haven't hopefully means they've written some properly awesome music.
“I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously ... I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously: I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen, I mean, what does it all mean when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird.”
― Frank Zappa

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1767 on: April 12, 2013, 03:44:21 AM »
It's nice to know that they've taken time over writing and haven't pulled a Train of Thought, because we all know they can do that...the fact that haven't hopefully means they've written some properly awesome music.
I know most people might disagree, but Train Of Thought is "properly awesome music" :P

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1768 on: April 12, 2013, 03:47:26 AM »
I know most people might disagree, but Train Of Thought is "properly awesome music" :P
Agreed.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1769 on: April 12, 2013, 03:56:02 AM »
I think TOT is better than 8V, SC and BC&SL, although they spent more time writing those three albums.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1770 on: April 12, 2013, 04:30:20 AM »
I think TOT is better than 8V, SC and BC&SL all of their albums except for SFAM, although they spent more time writing those three albums.
Agreed :P

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1771 on: April 12, 2013, 06:33:57 AM »
Can someone who knows the process better than me explain why the bass wouldn't be tracked with the drums BEFORE the rhythm guitar was tracked?

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
« Reply #1772 on: April 12, 2013, 06:37:46 AM »
The way the uptate was worded, it seemed to imply that both guitar and bass were tracked roughly simultaneously, and JP just happened to finish his parts a few days earlier than JMX.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1773 on: April 12, 2013, 06:38:54 AM »
Because they have most likely already recorded a bass track for everything to play along with, just not the version you'll hear on the album eventually. In my experience you make a (fake) recording of everything first to track the drums on, then you just add everything at random. Apparently DT chose to properly track Rhythm Guitar first, but it doesn't really matter in what order you track everything, as long as you do drums first and vocals last.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #1774 on: April 12, 2013, 07:02:42 AM »

he only does that live in order to save on the amount of gear he brings out (typically only 1 keyboard/controller). notice the studio pics; he has a wide array of keyboards to record with. once the recording process is done, then goes back and recreates all of the sounds from the various keyboards with his one master keyboard.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: April 12, 2013, 07:22:32 AM »
Because they have most likely already recorded a bass track for everything to play along with, just not the version you'll hear on the album eventually. In my experience you make a (fake) recording of everything first to track the drums on, then you just add everything at random. Apparently DT chose to properly track Rhythm Guitar first, but it doesn't really matter in what order you track everything, as long as you do drums first and vocals last.

You generally track bass after guitar if it's heavy intricate music so the bass can follow the guitar better.  if it's the other way around it can get a bit mushy sounding.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #1776 on: April 12, 2013, 07:37:31 AM »
I'm sure the guys arranged the songs beforehand, so the order shouldn't really matter. Personally I often record guitar before I do the bass when I'm doing one man band recordings. It depends on the genre, the song and which part came to my head first. For Metal I often record the guitar first, while I'm always tracking the bass first while recording funk. I guess it depends on which instrument will be the most busy.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1777 on: April 12, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »

You generally track bass after guitar if it's heavy intricate music so the bass can follow the guitar better.  if it's the other way around it can get a bit mushy sounding.

It actually doesn't matter in what order you record the instruments.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1778 on: April 12, 2013, 10:03:17 AM »

Agreed.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1779 on: April 12, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »

But shouldn't the bass be following the drums? I for one would be looking forward to what kind of awesome rhythms the Mangini/Myung combo could lock into.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1780 on: April 12, 2013, 10:10:58 AM »

But shouldn't the bass be following the drums?

^Not generally the case for metal.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #1781 on: April 12, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »

Sonically it doesn't, no not really.  But performance wise it absolutely does.  Say you're laying down a guitar track.  You'll get a much better performance playing along to the drum track rather than with just a click for a scratch track.  Same goes pretty much for all of the instruments in the band. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1782 on: April 12, 2013, 11:34:07 AM »

Sonically it doesn't, no not really.  But performance wise it absolutely does.  Say you're laying down a guitar track.  You'll get a much better performance playing along to the drum track rather than with just a click for a scratch track.  Same goes pretty much for all of the instruments in the band.

Definitely, but most recording processes are composed of a backing track and the actual recording. I'd bet some money that DT has their demo backing track and they're recording over that, but every recording process is different but who knows.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #1783 on: April 12, 2013, 11:44:22 AM »
This was on Mike's Facebook Page.

Quote from:  Mike Mangini
Thought this would be good to know for us drummers: Did any of you study mallets in school, but not want to? I didn't want to spend my time doing that, but as my private teacher told me, I'd be thankful I did so I can know where I am in a song part referred to as the "F minor ..." and also compose and not just be a drummer suggesting rhythmic things to existing parts (that's why drum parts are not of a copywrite nature) as that means one is really not a songwriter unless the drums initiate a NEW idea. The App is Sample Wiz. Makes for a lot of fun!

May The Force Be With You.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1784 on: April 12, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »
I know it's just my musical snobbery speaking, but I always had more respect for drummers/percussionists who knew their way around tuned percussion.  Vibes, marimba, even bells.  Knowing notes and key signatures and stuff, versus just knowing how to hit things.  That's a totally oversimplified way of putting it, of course, but you know what I mean.