Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848006 times)

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #1540 on: April 01, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »
Well I knew what forsaken was about, but it doesn't have meaning, its just about a vampire really, right?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1541 on: April 01, 2013, 08:37:31 PM »
Well I knew what forsaken was about, but it doesn't have meaning, its just about a vampire really, right?

Yes, but it's worded very nicely. It does have a sense of poetry about it, unlike, "Get into my car, let's go for a drive" for example.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1542 on: April 01, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »
Did you just say Ytse Jam has a lyrical meaning? ??? :mehlin

It doesn't have lyrics, but of course it has emotion and meaning. I mean think about Dance of Eternity; you know what that's about don't you? It takes real brilliant men to portray a feeling as specific as wild sex with a terribly guilty conscience of a senator purely through music. That's why there is not a single note of that song that could be altered or edited and the song still mean the same thing, unlike all the pop songs today..

Ytse Jam is an "in your shallow face you sleepwalking sheep, I'm F-ing MAJESTIC" song to me.

Well that's what the descriptive words in the song are about. But now that I think about it, couldn't this hot vampire chick (who is ever so wonderfully portrayed by the music and lyrics) saying "Give yourself up to me" end up being the same concept as the devil saying "I can give you power beyond anything, All I ask is that you worship me" ? maybe? I was gonna listen to the whole album again soon, so I'll see if maybe I still think that's the case.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1543 on: April 01, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »

Yes, but it's worded very nicely. It does have a sense of poetry about it, unlike, "Get into my car, let's go for a drive" for example.

to be completely honest, I think the lyrics of both songs fit their own TOOOOONNNE perfectly. One is a realistic story (realistic enough it happened to a guy in the band) and requires a more personal approach, more in a talking manner, while the other is fantasy and imagination of a mysterious beautiful creature. The emotions and complexities take place in different aspects of the stories.

« Reply #1544 on: April 01, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »
to be completely honest, I think the lyrics of both songs fit their own TOOOOONNNE perfectly. One is a realistic story (realistic enough it happened to a guy in the band) and requires a more personal approach, more in a talking manner, while the other is fantasy and imagination of a mysterious beautiful creature. The emotions and complexities take place in different aspects of the stories.

I like the last part the most, in TCOT. Everything from "Could this be the end?" is actually pretty cool... So maybe it's not the lyrics themselves that I don't like, but the phrasing. I'm pretty sure that if half of TCOT wasn't screamed out by Portnoy, I (and probably many others) would like it a lot more.

But strictly from a written perspective, Forsaken has a kind of poetry that songs like TCOT lack. As to how they fit their tone, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1545 on: April 01, 2013, 10:45:37 PM »
i see your point. I think the part of TCOT that really won me over was the instrumentals and time signatures everywhere. And the chord structure. And everything else. Its just freakin amazing XD

lol but i see your point. Nice conversation, thank you!

« Reply #1546 on: April 01, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »
Oy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuCGMvyE4C0

Am I the only one who thought that was a ridiculously redundant question and that there were many much more interesting and specific questions they could have chosen?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1547 on: April 01, 2013, 11:39:24 PM »

Am I the only one who thought that was a ridiculously redundant question and that there were many much more interesting and specific questions they could have chosen?

Absolutely.  I mean, it's a lame question to ask anyway (you get a chance to ask the band a question and that is what you ask?), and for them to pick that particular one was just odd.  It reminds me of the old Rockline show where fans could ask the band a question on the air and you'd have fans asking the dumbest and most predictable questions. :facepalm:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1548 on: April 01, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »
They're probably flooding right now with... "WHEN IS POTRNOE COMING BACK...INDONESIA PLS" questions, so it's wouldn't seem strange for them to pick a very generic one. Hope the next one is far more interesting, though.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1549 on: April 01, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »
They should have one where the question is, "Why doesn't John Myung talk more?"  One of the others can ask him the question, he doesn't a word and merely shrugs, and that's it.  Clip over.  Would be epic trolling on their part. :hat

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1550 on: April 02, 2013, 03:57:19 AM »
[OT]

Maybe people just don't figure it out, since UAGM has pretty obscure lyrics, but (even because of this) after an in-depth analysis, we can find out that it's the most Awake-ish song of the album in terms of lyrics&meaning, so we could say it's the most "advanced" in some ways, a graceful bridge that connects Images and Words with the next album.

UAGM elements:

- mental distress/disorder - it shows evidence of paranoia (1), emotional instability (2), and general mental sickness (3)

nervous flashlights scan my dreams, liquid shadows silence their screams (1) (fearing that others can read your mind is one of the main paranoid attitudes)

I smile at the moon / argue with the clouds (2)

stealing beauty from my eyes (1) - (something from inside you that is being stolen by others is another typical paranoid thought)

Outside the soundness of your mind (3)

- christian religion - some lyrics are very reminiscent of the Holy Scriptures.

by your hand I've awakened, bear this honor in my name

under glass moonlight...the night awaits the lamb's arrival

The moon itself is a messianic bride symbol just as the sun is a messianic bridegroom symbol. Just as the moon has no light of its own but reflects the light of the sun and therefore shows its glory, so is the bride with the bridegroom.

The lunar cycle is a time prophecy that has to do with the bride. If you overheard someone talking about the monthly cycle, most of you would assume the topic of conversation was a woman's monthly cycle. You see, the moon and a woman's fertility cycle are linked together.

The obscure phrase "the bride subsides to her survival" could actually be connected with Eve. The first woman Eve, who was taken out of the First Adam's body is seen in Genesis 3 as having her ultimate salvation tied to her fruitfulness. There is, in this, a connection between her salvation and the lunar cycle that is her period of fruitfulness.

So these are all the reasons why I think it's a very Awake-ish song, blessed with very profound and evocative lyrics.

[/OT]

Apart from this, I could say that, to me, lyrics represent more or less 1/3 of the beauty of a song, so they're still a very important element to my taste. I'd be the happiest man around if DT could get back to the amazing lyric level they had back in the early days. I'm looking forward to the next album and see if they can come up with some good lyrics.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:08:27 AM by The Stray Seed »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1551 on: April 02, 2013, 04:35:50 AM »
I feel like the songs that people praise with "thought-provoking" don't really mean anything... I've tried analyzing Breaking All Illusions, Metropolis, etc. through and through again and I've come to the personal conclusion that it's pretentious gibberish, which is how I feel about Myung lyrics in general (I love JMX! But I just don't understand all the love for his lyrics!)

I don't understand these lyrics.

They must be pretentious gibberish.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1552 on: April 02, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »
You can't dance to lost not forgotten. Must be musically pretentious gibberish.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #1553 on: April 02, 2013, 08:45:28 AM »
Speaking on lyrical creativity, the one phrase in a DT song that has always stood out over the rest is within AIA:

"I've been trying to justify you... In the end I will just defy you..."

I always loved that phonetic marriage between "justify" and "just defy"  :biggrin:

... And it's an awesome song  :metal
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1554 on: April 02, 2013, 08:50:42 AM »
Heck yea! Yet another song with a message I live my life by.

People tell me "slow down, you're thinking too much" and I know it's simply because it's over their head. Thus the reason I don't let them touch the way I play.

It's amazing to know John Petrucci has felt EXACTLY the same way I have felt at some points.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #1555 on: April 02, 2013, 08:58:35 AM »

Absolutely.  I mean, it's a lame question to ask anyway (you get a chance to ask the band a question and that is what you ask?), and for them to pick that particular one was just odd.  It reminds me of the old Rockline show where fans could ask the band a question on the air and you'd have fans asking the dumbest and most predictable questions. :facepalm:

I thought it was a silly question, my understanding is that most musicians work the music first and then work in the lyrics.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1556 on: April 02, 2013, 09:01:01 AM »
Speaking on lyrical creativity, the one phrase in a DT song that has always stood out over the rest is within AIA:

"I've been trying to justify you... In the end I will just defy you..."

I always loved that phonetic marriage between "justify" and "just defy"  :biggrin:
Me too :D I also like the message of the lyrics of AIA and can relate to it really well - I want to be honest and not change to please others.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: April 02, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »

Like people putting their hands up at a Guest Guitarist Clinic and then when they get picked they just go

" LOL Y R U SEW GUD LOL "

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1558 on: April 02, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »

THANK YOU. :clap:

It reminds me of the old Rockline show where fans could ask the band a question on the air and you'd have fans asking the dumbest and most predictable questions. :facepalm:

I agree but... their person taking the phone calls keeps track of what's being asked - I can't remember what question I was going to ask Billy Duffy and Jerry Cantrell, but I was told to ask the one about additional dates for their band at the time.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1559 on: April 02, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »
Well the first post in this thread is Jan 4th so we're coming up on 3 months and one would guess they are getting pretty close
by now...hopefully.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1560 on: April 02, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
...72 minute song divided into 12 sections...

You mean The Whirlwind?
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1561 on: April 02, 2013, 04:52:12 PM »
The album will contain a whirlwind of nuggets... :neverusethis:

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1562 on: April 02, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »
I feel like the songs that people praise with "thought-provoking" don't really mean anything... I've tried analyzing Breaking All Illusions, Metropolis, etc. through and through again and I've come to the personal conclusion that it's pretentious gibberish, which is how I feel about Myung lyrics in general (I love JMX! But I just don't understand all the love for his lyrics!)

I don't understand these lyrics.

They must be pretentious gibberish.

Even if they do have some sort of meaning, they just really bother me. I feel like they are trying to get some sort of deep message across, but don't manage to and end up sounding ridiculous. They seem rather self-indulgent to me. Radiohead, for instance, manages to have really thought-provoking lyrics without sounding silly, like they really understand what they're trying to say, and don't make it obvious. I honestly don't think if a band member was asked what Under a Glass Moon was about, they'd be able to give you a good answer...

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1563 on: April 02, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »
The keep messing up the rhythm in the middle section of metropolis part 1 every time I listen to it. I have no idea what time signature they think they're playing in, but obviously these guys just don't know what they're doing. Sounds ridiculous. I totally can't even bop my head to it!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:28:45 AM by 6degrmatichaosonaxmasmorn »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1564 on: April 03, 2013, 12:08:53 AM »
The keep messing up the rhythm in the middle section of metropolis part 1 every time I listen to it. I have no idea what time signature they think they're playing in, but obviously these guys just don't know what they're doing. Sounds ridiculous. I totally can't even bop my head to it!

You should've put that in green, shouldn't you? Or am I mistaken?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1565 on: April 03, 2013, 12:44:54 AM »

You should've put that in green, shouldn't you? Or am I mistaken?

B.Lee

He means sarcasm green, if you have no idea of what Blee is talking about  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1566 on: April 03, 2013, 12:50:56 AM »
Hey guys, DT is in the studio again. Shocking, I know.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1567 on: April 03, 2013, 02:28:07 AM »
 :omg:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1568 on: April 03, 2013, 02:59:34 AM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1569 on: April 03, 2013, 04:58:20 AM »
 :eek
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline novenpeter

« Reply #1570 on: April 03, 2013, 10:49:52 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExKRUJMoyk4

Dream Theater Twitter Q&A with Jordan Rudess, How do you start a new song composition?

« Reply #1571 on: April 03, 2013, 11:06:08 AM »
That's pretty cool. Definitely more interesting than, "Do you write the music first or the lyrics?"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #1572 on: April 03, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »
He means sarcasm green, if you have no idea of what Blee is talking about  :tup

yes I know about sarcasm green. I'll change it

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1573 on: April 03, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »
Quote from: bosk1
If you really need sarcasm green, you're probably missing the point.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1574 on: April 03, 2013, 11:32:05 AM »
That's pretty cool. Definitely more interesting than, "Do you write the music first or the lyrics?"

Still nothing new, really. Although it's understandable that they are deliberately avoiding precise questions on the new record, besides the JM exception.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco