Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847837 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #1505 on: April 01, 2013, 06:49:16 AM »
And the original absolutely destroys it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1506 on: April 01, 2013, 07:37:07 AM »
In general, I agree with ? that lyrics can't save a bad song or trash a good one, but they can certainly enhance or diminish the effect of a song.

I don't agree completely with that. It's true that good lyrics can't save a bad song, I see that all the time, but I believe aweful lyrics can completely trash a good musical piece, not only diminishing the effect of it.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1507 on: April 01, 2013, 07:42:15 AM »
In general, I agree with ? that lyrics can't save a bad song or trash a good one, but they can certainly enhance or diminish the effect of a song.

I don't agree completely with that. It's true that good lyrics can't save a bad song, I see that all the time, but I believe aweful lyrics can completely trash a good musical piece, not only diminishing the effect of it.
Ok, if the lyrics are REALLY poor, they can ruin a song, but this hasn't happened to me with any DT song yet. The Count of Tuscany is a top 20 song for me and the rest of the songs with less stellar lyrics are also weak musically.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1508 on: April 01, 2013, 07:46:36 AM »
Are we talking about good Dream Theater lyrics? Under a glass moon, Learning to live, Lifting shadows of a dream, Space dye vest, Trial of tears, Disappear, The Ministry of lost souls, Breaking all illusions, Beneath the surface... The thought-provoking, truly amazing ones.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1509 on: April 01, 2013, 07:52:31 AM »
Yes, I've always wondered why many people seem to think lyrics are and have always been DT's weakness.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1510 on: April 01, 2013, 08:08:54 AM »
And the original absolutely destroys it.

I can't stand the original.  I don't think I've ever heard anything by Trent Reznor that I like.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1511 on: April 01, 2013, 08:22:30 AM »
Fair enough, I really enjoy some of his stuff. He does great scores as well - did you watch The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? He did the score for that one, I really dug it. It had an awesome version of the Immigrant Song.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline novenpeter

« Reply #1512 on: April 01, 2013, 09:43:16 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuCGMvyE4C0

Dream Theater Twitter Q&A with John Petrucci Do you write the music first and then write lyrics?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1513 on: April 01, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »
HOW MANY SHEETS DO THEY HAVE IN THEIR HANDS  :omg:
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1514 on: April 01, 2013, 09:56:15 AM »
Poor James couldn't sit on a couch (I know it's been like that in all the videos, but I didn't pay attention to it until now)! :lol

I knew JP would give an answer like that, DT's music isn't that vocal-driven. Interesting that this got posted right after we had been discussing lyrics in this thread!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1515 on: April 01, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »
 :corn

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1516 on: April 01, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »
Fair enough, I really enjoy some of his stuff. He does great scores as well - did you watch The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? He did the score for that one, I really dug it. It had an awesome version of the Immigrant Song.

Oops, I forgot he did that.  Some of the music in that movie was okay.  I thought his take on Immigrant Song was interesting.  I don't know if I liked it, but it was interesting.

Most of Trent's stuff, actually all of it that I've heard, seem to be going for the "OMG so fucking hardcore, so intense, so violent, so industrial, melt your face off" thing, and honestly, I was kinda into that like 20 years ago, but not now.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #1517 on: April 01, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
Yes, I've always wondered why many people seem to think lyrics are and have always been DT's weakness.
From what I see I think it might be because on the grand scheme of things Lyrical quality might be an overall 7 or 8 out of 10, while the music is a solid 11 out of 10.   JP and JMx are musians first, poets second imho.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1518 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »
Most of Trent's stuff, actually all of it that I've heard, seem to be going for the "OMG so fucking hardcore, so intense, so violent, so industrial, melt your face off" thing

Not all of his stuff with NIN or any of the other side projects he's done is 100% about that. ::)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1519 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
From what I see I think it might be because on the grand scheme of things Lyrical quality might be an overall 7 or 8 out of 10, while the music is a solid 11 out of 10.   JP and JMx are musians first, poets second imho.

What about Kevin, though?  :)  And I don't think you need to be a proper poet to write 10/10 lyrics, like JP, JM and JLB have done in the past.
- Marco

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #1520 on: April 01, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »

What about Kevin, though?  :)  And I don't think you need to be a proper poet to write 10/10 lyrics, like JP, JM and JLB have done in the past.
Well it certainly doesnt hurt I suppose.  But you have to thinkk that at somepoint in the studio they must have completed a song and went "Damn... now we gotta make up words to go with that...."
Not everything is lyrically inspired I don't suppose LOL
Kevin? well he was just tortured inside so yeah, lots of great lyrics there!
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #1521 on: April 01, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »

I noticed that Mike Mangini doesn't have a sheet in his hand in this one. Maybe I just can't see it?  :huh:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1522 on: April 01, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »
I feel like the songs that people praise with "thought-provoking" don't really mean anything... I've tried analyzing Breaking All Illusions, Metropolis, etc. through and through again and I've come to the personal conclusion that it's pretentious gibberish, which is how I feel about Myung lyrics in general (I love JMX! But I just don't understand all the love for his lyrics!)

Examples for me of DT songs with good lyrics are The Great Debate (the best lyrics DT have written in my opinion), Voices, Misunderstood, and maybe Blind Faith, Lines In the Sand, and The Mirror.

...Also Honor Thy Father loljk

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1523 on: April 01, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »
Most of Trent's stuff, actually all of it that I've heard, seem to be going for the "OMG so fucking hardcore, so intense, so violent, so industrial, melt your face off" thing

Not all of his stuff with NIN or any of the other side projects he's done is 100% about that. ::)

Maybe not all, just all that I've heard.

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #1524 on: April 01, 2013, 01:45:19 PM »

To be fair to Honor Thy Father the lyrics do an incredible job of letting you know exactly the feelings and emotions the writer was trying to convey. :D

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1525 on: April 01, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »
it's pretentious gibberish

Those are the best lyrics  :metal

Offline philmcson

« Reply #1526 on: April 01, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »

One sheet with 5 questions, the other ones are blank  ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1527 on: April 01, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »

:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1528 on: April 01, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »

All lyrics and no bass makes John a dull boy.
- Marco

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1529 on: April 01, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin              :clap:

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1530 on: April 01, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »
I feel like the songs that people praise with "thought-provoking" don't really mean anything... I've tried analyzing Breaking All Illusions, Metropolis, etc. through and through again and I've come to the personal conclusion that it's pretentious gibberish, which is how I feel about Myung lyrics in general (I love JMX! But I just don't understand all the love for his lyrics!)

Examples for me of DT songs with good lyrics are The Great Debate (the best lyrics DT have written in my opinion), Voices, Misunderstood, and maybe Blind Faith, Lines In the Sand, and The Mirror.

The point of gibberish lyrics is that anyone interprets them as he wants to. Out there are some broken hearted people who will say that it's a love song, some philosophers who see it as a song about the meaning of life and possibly even some skinheads who will say it's a song about white supremacy. Such lyrics make everyone happy and give the band the maximum possible profit due to the large target audience.

But seriously, if an artist wants to write about something personal but he doesn't feel comfortable with telling the public all personal details, he can write such a song to express how he feels without revealing what exactly happened to him.
For my part, I just care about how the lyrics sound. In case of BAI, i feel like the sound of the words that James sings give additional strength to the song.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1531 on: April 01, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »
For my part, I just care about how the lyrics sound. In case of BAI, i feel like the sound of the words that James sings give additional strength to the song.

For me, it's more about how they're worded. I mean, I don't give a shit about WHAT Forsaken is about, but the words, "Out of an ivory mist, I felt a stinging kiss, and saw a crimson stain on her lips," are fucking beautiful! I honestly think that was the best Pettrucci lyric in a long time.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: April 01, 2013, 03:54:29 PM »
By DT's lyrics? I've been moved by vacant and by the story in SFAM and by Johnny Cash's hurt, that got to me a lot :'( mainly due to it pretty much being about him dying

tell me you're joking. that's a cover song...

I meant his cover of it, he made it into an extremely emotional song

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1533 on: April 01, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »
If anyone thinks songs like Lifting Shadows off a Dream have gibberish lyrics, you can have a great long talk with me.

In the past year of listening to Dream Theater, I have slowly been learning and figuring out what songs with these types of lyrics mean. So many songs like this or Learning to Live have such PROFOUND philosophies throughout that are often portrayed through metaphors. The reason two people can interpret them differently and both be correct is because the author's ideology is consistent and it applies to many different personal situations.

If you haven't been thinking about these things while listening to DT up to this point- congratulations, you have a lot to look forward to.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1534 on: April 01, 2013, 05:43:29 PM »
The only DT lyrics I have problems with are the ones that make no sense and are pretty General phrase and stuff, like pull me under, under a glass moon, forsaken, status seeker (and almost all of WDaDU) 6:00.
Just to name a few, well I can't understand what they mean at all, I don't know if they do or not...

Offline j

« Reply #1535 on: April 01, 2013, 06:38:21 PM »
I feel like the songs that people praise with "thought-provoking" don't really mean anything...

Although I don't agree with your specific examples, there's definitely a good point here that can apply to DT at times.  But personally--if forced to choose between different types of suboptimal lyrics--I would much prefer ambiguous lyrics whose words at least "sound" good phonetically or that paint some kind of a picture despite not making much sense on the surface, to poorly-executed, contrived lyrics or pedestrian lyrics that sound like they were written by a first grader a la parts of TBOT.

I think these are some of DT's very best songs lyrically, other than the two I've crossed out.

-J

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1536 on: April 01, 2013, 07:23:04 PM »
The only DT lyrics I have problems with are the ones that make no sense and are pretty General phrase and stuff, like pull me under, under a glass moon, forsaken, status seeker (and almost all of WDaDU) 6:00.
Just to name a few, well I can't understand what they mean at all, I don't know if they do or not...

-I don't quite know what UAGM is about yet , it seems to be about marriage, but may have a double meaning.
-I DO know what 6:00 is about, and it's one of those big philosophies that I live my life by. It's one of the axioms that provides a theme of that entire album- part of the common thread. Has to do with taking command of your own freaking life even if it seems easier to just go with the flow. In the end, if you let others decide what's best for you, it eventually catches up to you and you have to dig yourself out of a hole- get unstuck from the web if you will- and finally start following your own dream, whether in regards to your career or love or anything else. But it's harder and harder the longer you wait. "It's too late for me.........nnnnNOW"
-Pull Me Under is about death, which other songs on I&W expand on. It really makes me start to think about the importance of Taking the Time and Learning to Live. Seize the day if you know what I mean.
-JP explains what Forsaken is about in Chaos in Progress and, much like tDEN, is not really a philosophy like those others, but is rather just a fun story. It has to do with a vampire I think.
-Status Seeker goes along with Fortune in Lies and Ytse Jam, I think. It's basically saying to a shallow man that there is more value to more things in life than just the superficial things he sees.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1537 on: April 01, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »
Did you just say Ytse Jam has a lyrical meaning? ??? :mehlin

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1538 on: April 01, 2013, 08:05:09 PM »
I feel like the songs that people praise with "thought-provoking" don't really mean anything...

Although I don't agree with your specific examples, there's definitely a good point here that can apply to DT at times.  But personally--if forced to choose between different types of suboptimal lyrics--I would much prefer ambiguous lyrics whose words at least "sound" good phonetically or that paint some kind of a picture despite not making much sense on the surface, to poorly-executed, contrived lyrics or pedestrian lyrics that sound like they were written by a first grader a la parts of TBOT.

That pretty much sums up DT's lyrics for me and well put. Pseudo-poetry over dictation.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1539 on: April 01, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »
Did you just say Ytse Jam has a lyrical meaning? ??? :mehlin

Of course! But it's a little B-line. I mean, Myung pretty much always uses that kind of wording in every day speech.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"