Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847770 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #1470 on: March 28, 2013, 08:20:54 PM »

If that is true then they don't need to be videos. They could just be audio clips.

Well then it's settled. DT, if you are reading this, please... no more videos unless they are ZOMG1080pHIGHDEF!!!!!111 Because they are not worth anyone's time. Either release your updates on 3D BluRay or on some form of lossless audio format we can download... because 320 on youtube is not worthy of your fans.

Holy crap, do you belong to the AT forum? 'Cause that's the only other place I know with that penguin.

Honestly I have know idea what that is :lol

It's just one of several penguin emotes I have found to use around here. :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1471 on: March 28, 2013, 09:41:26 PM »
Guys, what if the instrumental is a 30 second spacey intro that leads into the first song of the album??

That would suck. It should be a 10 minute super indulgent piece of epic... Wankery (for the lack of a better word, although wankery in DT's case is awesome), that leads into the second track.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Dacling

« Reply #1472 on: March 28, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »
Guys, what if the instrumental is a 30 second spacey intro that leads into the first song of the album??

That would suck. It should be a 10 minute super indulgent piece of epic... Wankery (for the lack of a better word, although wankery in DT's case is awesome), that leads into the second track.

It should be 5 minutes of ultimate wankery that makes the dance of eternity look like a exercise  in simplicity and the other 5 minutes a mellow and emotion to the point that it makes Hell's Kitchen and Eve look weep from it's beauty.

« Reply #1473 on: March 28, 2013, 09:50:53 PM »
It should be 5 minutes of ultimate wankery that makes the dance of eternity look like a exercise  in simplicity and the other 5 minutes a mellow and emotion to the point that it makes Hell's Kitchen and Eve look weep from it's beauty.

And constantly changing.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1474 on: March 28, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »
Didn't he write Breaking All Illusions though ?

I have to say I was really underwhelmed with that song.

And the lyrics were nothing spectacular.

You're a cool dude, but damn you're a negative Nancy sometimes.

Offline Cable

« Reply #1475 on: March 28, 2013, 10:33:33 PM »

Those lyrics were infinitely better than any lyrics from the previous two albums, any song on those previous albums. They may not have been Shakespeare but a major improvement... ADTOE in itself was a major lyrical improvement

Agreed. BAI may not be LSOAD or ToT, but it was a step back in the right direction compared to most non Myung lyric albums.

JM's attitude was refreshing to hear for some reason; the band has X amount of songs that will need lyrics, and I'll take one.
---

Offline j

« Reply #1476 on: March 29, 2013, 02:39:14 AM »

I wouldn't call them "spectacular" either.  But they were *miles and miles* better than anything from the previous album.

-J

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1477 on: March 29, 2013, 02:45:37 AM »

THERE'S NOT A SINGLE THING IN THE UNIVERSE THAT'S BETTER THAN THE FACT THAT FREAKIN MR MYUNG ANSWERED MY QUESTION.

Wait, that was you who asked the question?

If so, that means that both questions so far have been from members of Dream Theater Forums! (AdamEastment and you.)

Yup! I am pretty sure we'll dominate these questions hehe!
Dudes, we totally rule over everything :metal whenever I visit any of their personal fanpages, I always find one or two or three DTFers that I am aware of commenting under posts with awesome shit :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1478 on: March 29, 2013, 02:47:06 AM »
It was you?  :omg: I didn't understand it, he didn't read it properly, I think. This must be quite exciting for you, dear teenage weakling  :laugh:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #1479 on: March 29, 2013, 03:58:24 AM »

:omg: wait, is it April Fools Day??!!

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #1480 on: March 29, 2013, 07:42:28 AM »

To each his own, I guess. I, for one, find that "Breaking All Illusions" is easily the best song the band has written since "Lines in The Sand" and I do enjoy the lyrics. They're not devastatingly or achingly beatiful but they're pretty interesting and well-written.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1481 on: March 29, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
Always good to hear from JM, that' some good news. Also, four pages.  :lol

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #1482 on: March 29, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
wait, these vids aren't in 5.1???

meh.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1483 on: March 29, 2013, 11:51:03 AM »
WAIT, THE BAND IS SITTING IN A RELAXED DEMEANOR INSTEAD OF STANDING WITH ARMS CROSSED AND LOOKING BAD-ASS??? and it's not in 5.1 digital high definition surround sound?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1484 on: March 29, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »
the video is only 39 seconds so it can't be any good
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1485 on: March 29, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
Where was the video's audio mixed? Such a horrible sound...shame on them.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1486 on: March 29, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »
They didn't let James sit on a couch. They've let down the fans. :(
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1487 on: March 29, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
I don't know how anyone could be expecting to be blown away by any lyrics.  My reaction to BAI was about the same to ToT.  Beautiful thought provoking lyrics, unique to JM's style.  Exactly what I wanted and expected.  Of course in a way it was surprising in a good way...but I pretty much had faith it would be somewhat catchy, somewhat epic, somewhat thought provoking, and the rest was pretty much a pleasant surprise. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1488 on: March 31, 2013, 04:59:46 AM »
From JLB's twitter :

James LaBrie ‏@Piratecjs 4 h

All the music progress for DT and Solo stuff is amazing!! RAAWKK!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

« Reply #1489 on: March 31, 2013, 08:57:50 AM »
I wanna heaaaar!!!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: March 31, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
Has anyone here ever literally been moved by lyrics ?

To the point of "  :'( I never thought of that " or "  :-\ Man that is so true. "

Or even made a lifestyle change ?

I dunno - maybe I just don't care about lyrics that much.

I only notice when I really like them for rhythmical or humorous or clever reasons but never like  :heart so moving...

Or if they're incredibly bad.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1491 on: March 31, 2013, 12:59:56 PM »
I have
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: March 31, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »
I feel the same way. I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't care about lyrics, but when I hear a song for the first time, I am usually more tuned in to the music. The second listen, and more, if there are any, I will focus more the lyrics and take in the song as a whole.

There are rare occurrences when lyrics will move me, but that is a function of what is going on in my life when I hear the song for the first time. When it looked like my high school girlfriend and I were splitting up, I heard 'Long, Long Time' by Linda Ronstadt in my car (I remember it vividly). At the time, those lyrics were the most beautiful and moving I had ever heard. And I still think about that situation to this day when I hear that song.

I am moved quite often by literature and film, but I think for me there is just so much more time invested in the story, compared to a 5 minute long song.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: March 31, 2013, 01:06:41 PM »
It can happen to me to be moved by lyrics, but that usually happens very far into my relationship with the song. Just like Cool Chris said, I don't care about the lyrics (and not being English-speaking helps) until the fourth or fifth listen or so. With bands I'm not really an avid fan of I can even never feel the need to check them out.
- Marco

« Reply #1494 on: March 31, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
Has anyone here ever literally been moved by lyrics ?

To the point of "  :'( I never thought of that " or "  :-\ Man that is so true. "

Or even made a lifestyle change ?

I dunno - maybe I just don't care about lyrics that much.

I only notice when I really like them for rhythmical or humorous or clever reasons but never like  :heart so moving...

Or if they're incredibly bad.

I honestly don't care about lyrics that much, I can still enjoy a song and not care if the lyrics suck. But sometimes, a song, or even just a couple of lines, really hit home with me, so yes, I have been moved, and in no small part by DT's lyrics.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: March 31, 2013, 05:45:04 PM »
By DT's lyrics? I've been moved by vacant and by the story in SFAM and by Johnny Cash's hurt, that got to me a lot :'( mainly due to it pretty much being about him dying

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1496 on: March 31, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »
I'd have to say that it's equally the lyrics AND the music for me.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1497 on: March 31, 2013, 07:18:35 PM »
I'd have to say that it's equally the lyrics AND the music for me.
For me as well. An that is why SC and BC&SL didn't 'do it' for me really. Don't get me wrong , I love DT and anything they produce musically (to me) is far and away better than 90% of the music out there. But this two albums were very lyrically lazy IMO.
 ADTOE was a step back in the right direction if you ask me. I'm hoping they use more of JLB's lyrics personally. The songs he writes tend to be very good. Sounds like JMX is down for a song, I wish I were more but ill take whatever he gives and JP's lyrics were much improved on ADTOE.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1498 on: March 31, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »
Well said, Gary. :tup

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1499 on: March 31, 2013, 07:42:16 PM »
I think DT generally has bad lyrics. There are exceptions, and it hardly affects my enjoyment of DT songs at all (they're my favorite band, period). But I will admit that their lyrics are just bad.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1500 on: April 01, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
Yeah there are a few DT songs with good lyrics like Disappear, Six Degrees or A Change of Seasons which are really great lyrical works. Other than those and a few others DT lyrics are either just average or a bit silly.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: April 01, 2013, 02:48:16 AM »
You guys have crazy legitimate opinions  :laugh:
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1502 on: April 01, 2013, 02:56:32 AM »
I love great lyrics; DT wrote lots of them in the early days and there have been some brilliant lyrical moments on later albums too, but the music itself is the reason why I listen to DT, or any other band. Great lyrics can't save a song if the music is bad, but weak lyrics don't make a song worse if it's musically excellent.

Offline 425

« Reply #1503 on: April 01, 2013, 04:48:26 AM »
For me, it's like 80-90% music and 10-20% lyrics. In general, I agree with ? that lyrics can't save a bad song or trash a good one, but they can certainly enhance or diminish the effect of a song. For example, Scarred is a very good song, and would be one regardless of lyrics, but you have to agree that the overall effect of the song would be diminished if James was singing about his pet cat, Tibbles. And vice versa for any song with bad lyrics. Good, fitting lyrics can enhance a good song, and bad lyrics can diminish it. But the lyrics do not make the song good or bad. Even Scarred, Tibbles edition, would be a very good song. Just not as good as the real one.

But yes, I love lyrics when they do shine, and I think James LaBrie is especially good at times at emphasizing good lyrics. And early on, Dream Theater wrote some amazing lyrics. I think Images and Words and Awake are both pretty well flawless in the lyrical department. So, yes, the quality declined later (and now appears to be on the rise again), but don't neglect some of the lyrical greatness DT has achieved in the past.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #1504 on: April 01, 2013, 06:40:33 AM »
By DT's lyrics? I've been moved by vacant and by the story in SFAM and by Johnny Cash's hurt, that got to me a lot :'( mainly due to it pretty much being about him dying

tell me you're joking. that's a cover song...