Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848106 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #1365 on: March 28, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
Is this the first time since 2003?
If you don't count Raw Dog.

Nobody counts Raw Dog.

That skeleton has been tossed in the closet by both the band and the fandom, with a complete and total agreement and coordination :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1366 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:28 AM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1367 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »
Man, I'm going to have to get someone to pick this up for me so I can listen to it as soon as I get back from Australia.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1368 on: March 28, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »
I'm beyond excited.  :metal

He also mentioned that they finished the instrumental, so I wonder how far they are along in the process. I bet they have probably finished writing and are tracking/working on vocals.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1369 on: March 28, 2013, 10:41:46 AM »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1370 on: March 28, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
Man, I'm going to have to get someone to pick this up for me so I can listen to it as soon as I get back from Australia.

Question: you won't have any access to a CD player for two years?  :o
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1371 on: March 28, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »
More JM lyrics isn't a surprise, but an instrumental song? :omg: I hope it will be better than SOC and the song I pretend doesn't exist. If it's like Eve or Hell's Kitchen (I know it won't be, but let me dream!)... :caffeine: BTW, am I the only one who chuckled a bit at the beginning of the video, upon seeing the pic with that familiar Mangini expression? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1372 on: March 28, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »

Nobody counts Raw Dog.
What is Raw Dog? :neverusethis:

More JM lyrics isn't a surprise, but an instrumental song? :omg: I hope it will be better than SOC and the song I pretend doesn't exist. If it's like Eve or Hell's Kitchen (I know it won't be, but let me dream!)... :caffeine: BTW, am I the only one who chuckled a bit at the beginning of the video, upon seeing the pic with that familiar Mangini expression? :lol
I chuckled more at how James couldn't think of what to do with his papers while appearing relaxed :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1373 on: March 28, 2013, 10:59:22 AM »

Well sure, it would be nice if it was better, but that's a pretty tall order.  If you didn't like SoC, what is one you did like?

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #1374 on: March 28, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »

Well sure, it would be nice if it was better, but that's a pretty tall order.  If you didn't like SoC, what is one you did like?

I may be biased because I dove head-first into "DT fanboy" mode during ToT, but what is there NOT to like about SoC? I am a huge fan of Hell's Kitchen but that overarching/opening riff on SoC is just so catchy and intense!  :metal
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: March 28, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »
SOC is just much longer than it needs to be - it's like a 5- or 6-minute song stretched out to 11 minutes and gets boring towards the end. There are lots of good ideas, but they are repeated to the point where they get stale.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #1376 on: March 28, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »
SOC is just much longer than it needs to be - it's like a 5- or 6-minute song stretched out to 11 minutes and gets boring towards the end. There are lots of good ideas, but they are repeated to the point where they get stale.

I've always heard longer was better.... :neverusethis:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1377 on: March 28, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1378 on: March 28, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »
I still have not yet heard Raw Dog.  I'm pretty sure it's the only DT song I haven't heard.

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #1379 on: March 28, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
Great great news!
I asked and encouraged JM to write more lyrics on the last M&G and he was pretty receptive with my suggestion. At that moment, I knew he would be doing lyrics for this.
Can't wait!  :rollin :mehlin
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1380 on: March 28, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »
IT'S A TRICK!  JOHN MYUNG IS WRITING LYRICS FOR THE INSTRUMENTAL!   :yeahright
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: March 28, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
I've always heard longer was better.... :neverusethis:
Obviously I'm not a true prog fan, my favorite DT song isn't even 8 minutes long :neverusethis:
I still have not yet heard Raw Dog.  I'm pretty sure it's the only DT song I haven't heard.
It's better not to listen to it! :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1382 on: March 28, 2013, 11:21:37 AM »
IT'S A TRICK!  JOHN MYUNG IS WRITING LYRICS FOR THE INSTRUMENTAL!   :yeahright

damn it bosk! You ninja'd me as I was posting this

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1383 on: March 28, 2013, 11:25:17 AM »

It's actually not aweful, just not very interesting.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: March 28, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »
I'd buy the album even if it was just qn instrumental and a song with JMX lyrics!
 :biggrin: I CANT CONTAIN MYSELF!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1385 on: March 28, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »

It's actually not aweful, just not very interesting.

At this point, I'm not even sure where I'd find a copy.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: March 28, 2013, 11:35:37 AM »
I never see people list DT's instrumentals in their top 20 DT songs, let alone among DT's best songs, yet everyone pees themselves a little at the thought of a new one.

I know I am alone on this, but DT's instrumentals are nothing special, and just unnecessarily sideline 1/5 of their talent.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1387 on: March 28, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »
I never see people list DT's instrumentals in their top 20 DT songs, let alone among DT's best songs, yet everyone pees themselves a little at the thought of a new one.

Then you must never see my list ;), cause Erotomania is a borderline top 5 DT song for me, and Hell's Kitchen is always in my top 20, too.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1388 on: March 28, 2013, 11:39:51 AM »
Eve was #4 on my list ;)

Nobody counts Raw Dog.

That skeleton has been tossed in the closet by both the band and the fandom, with a complete and total agreement and coordination :D
Maybe the press release will be along the lines of James' comment that Score was their last official DVD: "The album also features the first Dream Theater instrumental since Stream of Consciousness, which was released in 2003." :biggrin:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1389 on: March 28, 2013, 11:47:50 AM »
Eve was #4 on my list ;)

Nobody counts Raw Dog.

Maybe the press release will be along the lines of James' comment that Score was their last official DVD: "The album also features the first Dream Theater instrumental since Stream of Consciousness, which was released in 2003." :biggrin:

That would be amazing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1390 on: March 28, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »
Please make this happen, anyone.

I know I am alone on this, but DT's instrumentals are nothing special, and just unnecessarily sideline 1/5 of their talent.
While I generally agree that something James-some is always better than something James-less, I have two DT instrumentals in my top 10, and I can't remember actively disliking one... even TDOE is only just a bit boring, nothing offensive to my senses.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1391 on: March 28, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »
Not necessarily excited by the instrumental, but definitely looking forward to more lyrics by JM.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: March 28, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »
I am hoping for a quiet instrumental, like Eve and H'sK, rather than a crazy "showoffy" piece :D
- Marco

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1393 on: March 28, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »
I am so jealous of you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1394 on: March 28, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
I am hoping for a quiet instrumental, like Eve and H'sK, rather than a crazy "showoffy" piece :D
This.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: March 28, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
OMGzzzz Myung HE Speeeks I cant even omfg i cant i'm done wtf omfg i cant im done im don im done.   

[/fangirl bollocks]

In other news : What is the deal with uploading those YouTube Q&A vids in 360 ?

Rudess can upload pics of nothing slathered in crappy Instagram effects but they can't upload videos in 720 ?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: March 28, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »
I don't see why we need the (what were they... a minute long) videos in HD... Lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: March 28, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »
If that is true then they don't need to be videos. They could just be audio clips.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1398 on: March 28, 2013, 12:39:09 PM »

Question: you won't have any access to a CD player for two years?  :o

Answer: The rules on music vary from mission to mission, but typically, we're not supposed to have anything, music or otherwise, that would reduce our capacity to focus on our work. As such, it'll have to wait until I return to America.

That said, I'm super excited to hear more about this new album. I definitely place it at the top of the ever-growing list of albums I need to get when I return.

That would be really cool, I listened to Eve yesterday, and I still can't believe that it never had an official release outside of the Silent Man single.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:44:18 PM by Cedar redaC »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: March 28, 2013, 12:39:37 PM »

If that is true then they don't need to be videos. They could just be audio clips.

Well then it's settled. DT, if you are reading this, please... no more videos unless they are ZOMG1080pHIGHDEF!!!!!111 Because they are not worth anyone's time. Either release your updates on 3D BluRay or on some form of lossless audio format we can download... because 320 on youtube is not worthy of your fans.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"