Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848296 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #665 on: January 29, 2013, 01:37:04 PM »
 :metal :metal  YES MANGINI ALL OVER ME

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #666 on: January 29, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
:mangini:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #667 on: January 29, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »
Oh HELL yes. :victorydance:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: January 29, 2013, 02:04:07 PM »
Blame DT not coming up with updates for the derailing of this thread ::)
:lol

Oh boy I wonder what DT are up to right now.

:rollin  :rollin  :rollin

So glad I stumbled into this thread today

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #669 on: January 29, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
We need a NSFW warning on that shit or something.  People see that, they wonder WTF kind of sites I visit these days.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #670 on: January 29, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »
New interview on the Homepage...

Quote from: John Petrucci
When people hear the drumming on this album, they’re gonna be pretty freaked out. Mangini is an animal.

:omg:  :tup

That's what we like to hear. :tup
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #671 on: January 29, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #672 on: January 29, 2013, 02:26:16 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #673 on: January 29, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »
I feel really tempted now to change my avatar back to my very first avatar on this forum, which was...

In honour of MM  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2013, 02:30:44 PM »
Amen Bob! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #675 on: January 29, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »
I feel really tempted now to change my avatar back to my very first avatar on this forum, which was...

In honour of MM  :lol

Do it!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: January 29, 2013, 02:39:09 PM »
Clockwork Angels isn't exactly muddy, but it does have that dense, compressed sound that seems to be so popular these days.  You can hear most of the instruments well enough, but it still feels like there's no room for anything to breathe.

It really hit me how blah it sounded when I realized that the soft parts and the loud parts were exactly the same volume. It lacks dynamics.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #677 on: January 29, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »
Yep.  A victim of the volume wars.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #678 on: January 29, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #679 on: January 29, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
It's cool that they have Richard Chycki with them, but ultimately it doesn't really matter who they get to engineer, mix and master if they don't drop the loudness trend. It can sound better, but it won't sound great if the new album is as compressed as the previous ones. Andy Wallace has made some great sounding records, but it didn't help that much on ADTOE. It is not about the know how. It is about the attitude. And the decision about the final loudness levels might not be solely up to the band either. The label may have their say in that too. Though with DT I doubt that.

From what I've heard from Richard Chycki and Jens Bogren (EoP, Static Impulse, Watershed, Ghost Reveries, Night is the new day, Deconstruction), most of them are better than the competition. I like how good those guys can make a loud/compressed album sound. But those albums are still limited in sound quality because of the lack of dynamic range. Deconstruction for example sounds quite bad IMO.

If they had Steven Wilson on board then I'd be more optimistic about the sound quality. He has quite a good track record with dynamic albums.

Also just happened to come across this video and it has some comments from known producers about loudness war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qUcgg2vMX_s

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #680 on: January 29, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
I thought Death Magnetic was the turning point. No album has come close to sounding that bad since then that i've heard.

The Blackening was also pretty horrendous and World Painted Blood but since then I think albums are slowly getting more dynamic.

I love how Uno! & Tre! sound. They're not metal albums but they're really clear and not clippy unlike 21st Century Breakdown which distorted like buggery in the really loud parts - most notably on East Jesus Nowhere in the " Beautiful People " muted section.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #681 on: January 29, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »
That's an interesting Youtube clip.

What I don't understand is how a band like Dream Theater with the ears and training and skills they have and making the music they make can allow the Loudness War to determine how their music is finally released.  Also, many of the listeners of this type of music are musicians and audiophiles and aren't stupid yet we're given sonic-ly dumbed-down remedial-listening recordings.

Nobody listens to Miley Cyrus or Nickelback for the amazing soundscapes and musical nuances, so no big deal.  But any music that is similar in scope to what Dream Theater does should absolutely never be loud just cuz that's what pop stars do.

RoadRunner didn't sign DT to make them zillions of dollars on the pop chart so why can't DT give the finger to the Loudness War and do what's right for the music they make?  It's like the elephant in the room, everyone knows about it but nobody does anything about it, like lip-syncing.

Offline TL

« Reply #682 on: January 29, 2013, 07:22:25 PM »
With ADTOE (which was less compressed than BC&SL, which was less compressed than SC), I think it was less giving in to the loudness war, and more just not really thinking of that when going into the mixing/mastering process.
That said, it is a bit frustrating that a band like DT don't place more importance on dynamic mixing and mastering.

With Clockwork Angels, Geddy straight up said in an interview that they 'compromised' on the sound quality, which is frustrating, because there's no way a band like Rush would need to compromise on something like that, and they seem very aware of the dangers of overcompression post-Vapor Trails.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #683 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »
I think you overestimate how much control the artist has...Rush has intimated that they had no say in, and were displeased with, the degree of compression/"loudness" on CA.  They basically said it was out of their control.
(this was in response to PetFish)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #684 on: January 29, 2013, 11:48:32 PM »
I think you overestimate how much control the artist has...Rush has intimated that they had no say in, and were displeased with, the degree of compression/"loudness" on CA.  They basically said it was out of their control.
(this was in response to PetFish)

I hope at least they could specify who they want to master their albums.  The mastering engineer on the last two albums has been someone named Brian "Big Bass" Gardner.  Honestly, if you're a MASTERING ENGINEER and your nickname is BIG BASS then you're doing your job wrong (or right I guess, since that's what the industry wants now).
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #685 on: January 30, 2013, 02:20:28 AM »
Why can they not release several versions for playing on differing equipment ?
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #686 on: January 30, 2013, 02:34:01 AM »

Because it would cost them more money to create separate masters of the album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #687 on: January 30, 2013, 04:47:13 AM »
Back to Dream Theater........

Quote from: John Petrucci
I feel like now he’s just Mike Mangini unleashed.

:biggrin:

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #688 on: January 30, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »
I hope MM doesn't get to the point where he pulls a Petrucci and people die from the fact he was unleashed.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #689 on: January 30, 2013, 10:11:27 AM »

i am sure it would be worth it in the long run I would gladly pay a bit more for a fuller sounding album to play on my good sterio :-)
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #690 on: January 30, 2013, 10:13:42 AM »

i am sure it would be worth it in the long run I would gladly pay a bit more for a fuller sounding album to play on my good sterio :-)

Oh I would too, but audiophiles etc are a tiny minority, so it probably wouldn't be financially viable to them, at least not enough for them to care to do it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: January 30, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »
We live in the ear bud generation.  Audiophiles nuts are such a small minority these days.  I'm with you though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: January 30, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »
I use decent in-ear headphones for my music when i'm out and about simply for convenience.

Indoors I use my speakers.

Fortunately I was bought up by a guy who made his own speakers and always had top of the range systems.

The worst offenders are people who listen to music using their mobile SPEAKERS :/

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #693 on: January 30, 2013, 11:34:03 AM »
Earbuds for the Gym

Nicer Over-ear headphones or my Laptop's built in JBL speakers at home

Car Speakers for the road

Cell phone speakers are ridiculous, but they can work in a pinch. If I'm snowboarding, I've had a enjoyable time just turning on some music and putting my phone in my jacket's chest pocket.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: January 30, 2013, 11:40:35 AM »
;D

The only time I ever use the iPhone speaker is when i'm in the shower and wanna listen to music whilst i'm in there...

I put it on the shelf and position it to get the least amount of treble as possible :P

The shelf is outside the shower I might add :p

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #695 on: January 30, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »
We live in the ear bud generation.  Audiophiles nuts are such a small minority these days.  I'm with you though.

Don't underestimate good in-ears. I even prefer lying in my bed with my in-ears over sitting in front of my speakers.

Offline Groundhog

« Reply #696 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:39 PM »

But would it really? I mean from what I've gathered mastering engineers usually make couple of versions for the band to choose in the first place. Bob Ludwig for example had 3 versions for Axel Rose to choose for Chinese Democracy. Isn't that part of the service? Or am I totally lost here?

Don't underestimate good in-ears. I even prefer lying in my bed with my in-ears over sitting in front of my speakers.

To put it simply: crappy sounding album + crappy in-ears = crappy sound. Good sounding album + crappy in-ears = better sound than the first combination. It's just a myth that overcompressed loud albums sound better on cheap in-ears.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: January 30, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »

I'm just using that earphones don't allow the airieness (no such word but it works) of listening to a stereo.  I have noise canceling earphones that I love but we know compression is made for I-pods and cars these days.  And lets be honest.  That's 85% of how I listen to music these days.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: January 30, 2013, 03:20:50 PM »
When i'm at home - i either listen to music on my decent studio monitors or my decent studio headphones if it's late...

Out and about I don't really give a crap about quality since it's primarily for entertainment whilst i'm on a walk.

But I hate the iPod earbuds and always get a good pair from HMV that aren't very expensive but give you loads of bass and they have those cushion-y things on ;D

Plus I import CDs into my iTunes as 320kbps as well.

Offline TL

« Reply #699 on: January 30, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »
With the mastering on Clockwork Angels, I don't really buy that the band had little to no say. Considering their audience, and the point they're at in their careers, their label forcing them to have a more compressed mix just doesn't seem like something that would happen. More likely, whoever they were working with suggested mixing it the way they did (or mixed it that way and presented it to them), and they went along with it.

It was released by Roadrunner. This is the same label that released Storm Corrosion. They seem to let bands and artists on their label do their own thing their own way for the most part.