Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 848283 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #385 on: January 21, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »
That's already been proven false.

Just listened again, and yes - FALSE. The sound effects at the end of TCOT are (or meant to sound like) nature sounds, like a marsh or lake or bog or swamp, with birds and frogs all around, water waves splashing on a shore, etc. etc.

Then I played the Keyboard Stem for OTBOA (so GLAD I got those), and it's definitely MorphWiz sound effects, not nature-y at all. It sounds like synth sounds with weird unintelligible vocals as weird samples, with some interesting looping effects thrown in.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #386 on: January 21, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
Are we closer than before?

Closer to a release date, yes.

Not if the release date is pushed one day forward every day. :3

Online The Letter M

« Reply #387 on: January 21, 2013, 02:52:05 PM »
Are we closer than before?

Closer to a release date, yes.

Not if the release date is pushed one day forward every day. :3

Like the Luna Park DVD/Blu-ray???

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #388 on: January 21, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »

Just listened again, and yes - FALSE. The sound effects at the end of TCOT are (or meant to sound like) nature sounds, like a marsh or lake or bog or swamp, with birds and frogs all around, water waves splashing on a shore, etc. etc.

Then I played the Keyboard Stem for OTBOA (so GLAD I got those), and it's definitely MorphWiz sound effects, not nature-y at all. It sounds like synth sounds with weird unintelligible vocals as weird samples, with some interesting looping effects thrown in.

-Marc.
Well it doesn't make sense to me why they would use something that sounds similar instead of just using the actual thing.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #389 on: January 21, 2013, 03:08:03 PM »
Stevetheater's picture is quite amazing.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: January 21, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »
Maybe they're not MEANT to be the same thing ?  ::)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #391 on: January 21, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »

-Marc.
Well it doesn't make sense to me why they would use something that sounds similar instead of just using the actual thing.

Whichever one you are referring to, it's because the band uses samples ALL the time. I'm pretty sure each album has a song with samples of SOMETHING in it, whether it's vocals, sound effects, noises, or other things that cannot be created in the studio with instruments. I mean, the scream in "Finally Free" that Victoria does is a well-known scream sample. Makes sense to me - sometimes they go with whatever sounds right to them, and who am I/are we to argue what they think sounds right at the time for their music?

-Marc.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #392 on: January 21, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »
Lol generic thunderclap in ANTR
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #393 on: January 21, 2013, 03:29:46 PM »
Lol generic thunderclap in ANTR

This generated a thought in my head. The beginning of ANTR always reminded me of the song Black Sabbath, and ironically TGP also has the bells.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #394 on: January 21, 2013, 03:31:15 PM »
Quote from: Mike Mangini
Made it safely to NY. Can't wait to get to fabulously fun kit tomorrow !

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #395 on: January 21, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »
Quote from: Mike Mangini
Made it safely to NY. Can't wait to get to fabulously fun kit tomorrow !
Why is it, when he writes more than two words, I melt.

WE WANT TO SEE SOME OF THAT. PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: January 21, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »
Today I rewatched the TSCO-Docu after almost a year and he was so sweet there, when speaking of his wish to get into the band, not just as a gig, but as a stable home. He is a magnificent human being.
- Marco

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #397 on: January 21, 2013, 03:44:33 PM »
Today I rewatched the TSCO-Docu after almost a year and he was so sweet there, when speaking of his wish to get into the band, not just as a gig, but as a stable home. He is a magnificent human being.
This. He's almost as fabulous as me.

c:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: January 21, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »
When I was still re-evaluating how I felt about Mangini in the band, I came to the conclusion he is a beast of a drummer, but I knew DT wouldn't select anyone inept anyway - I needed some proof that he'd be just as committed and bound to the band as MP was before he left. And then I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DpsTNDufUg and my confidence solidified. You just know he means it, when he says it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: January 21, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »
When I was still re-evaluating how I felt about Mangini in the band, I came to the conclusion he is a beast of a drummer, but I knew DT wouldn't select anyone inept anyway - I needed some proof that he'd be just as committed and bound to the band as MP was before he left. And then I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DpsTNDufUg and my confidence solidified. You just know he means it, when he says it.

Yes, that video definitely speaks the ultimate truth about him. I'm so glad he's in the band :)
- Marco

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #400 on: January 21, 2013, 04:04:08 PM »
James LaBrie was tagged in Stephen van Baalen's photo

I have to conclude that is SteveTheater?

;D Yes Guilty!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #401 on: January 21, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »
Stevetheater's picture is quite amazing.

They always are.   :D

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #402 on: January 21, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »

Yes, Yes, Yes.  Every day I know how much Mangini is soooo perfect for DT.  I really think that DT is about heart and feel and MM just embodies this so much.  I CANNOT wait for the next album!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #403 on: January 22, 2013, 01:12:19 AM »

New pic from the studio.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: January 22, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »
Was this already posted? I don't know, but these days bring new questions it seems that being pic-redundant is fashionable  :laugh:

Anyway, all hail the new, mighty, JP13!

- Marco

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #405 on: January 22, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »
Those are different pickups than what we usually see on a John Petrucci guitar. I wonder what's up with that?
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: January 22, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
I love the silver color :drool:

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #407 on: January 22, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

• EB
« Reply #408 on: January 22, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
Those are different pickups than what we usually see on a John Petrucci guitar. I wonder what's up with that?
I noticed that as well. I guess no Crunch Lab this time around. Hmmmmm. Maybe new signature pickups?
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #409 on: January 22, 2013, 03:26:54 PM »
I noticed that as well. I guess no Crunch Lab this time around. Hmmmmm. Maybe new signature pickups?
But I just got a Crunch Lab and a Liquifire :P. I guess that's the world of guitar gear for you. :lol

• EB
« Reply #410 on: January 22, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
But I just got a Crunch Lab and a Liquifire :P. I guess that's the world of guitar gear for you. :lol
SO DID I! hahahahahaha  :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: January 22, 2013, 03:31:48 PM »
Anyone actually got a MM JP ?

How do they feel etc ?

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #412 on: January 22, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »
SO DID I! hahahahahaha  :rollin
They sound awesome, so if there is going to be a change, I hope they sound even better.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #413 on: January 22, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #414 on: January 22, 2013, 08:35:42 PM »
I love the silver color :drool:

I've actually never liked the silver.  I didn't mind it 10 years ago for any 7-string song but it just doesn't do anything for me.  The ones I *really* like are the BFR with the quilted wood, not the flame, but JP rarely plays those.  My dream guitar that I hope to own one day is the quilted red BFR.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #415 on: January 22, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
James LaBrie was tagged in Stephen van Baalen's photo

I have to conclude that is SteveTheater?

;D Yes Guilty!

It's good, but it looks like the back cover of a James LaBrie album, with the side showing errie faces being the front.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: January 22, 2013, 08:54:09 PM »
True that. Nothing says "this is a JLB album" like stock images of b actors on the cover.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #417 on: January 22, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »
Was this already posted? I don't know, but these days bring new questions it seems that being pic-redundant is fashionable  :laugh:

Anyway, all hail the new, mighty, JP13!

It's so nice to see this without the nasty "Ball Family Reserve" inlay at the 12th fret.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #418 on: January 23, 2013, 12:46:38 AM »
We almost see every piece of their instruments and NOW I want to see James' microphone :neverusethis:
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: January 23, 2013, 02:27:58 AM »
I don't know anything about gear so in that aspect I'm mildly enthustiastic about the pics, but on the other hand I'm super excited about them being in the studio and posting something from it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.