Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 842041 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #4165 on: June 10, 2013, 12:12:38 AM »
Am I the only one who's uncomfortable with this whole transcribing of the screenshot and making a midi out of it?

I feel it's a slippery slope where if it gets out of hand artists might not want to release anything (studio diaries, photos, etc) for fear that people will be able to figure out things that were supposed to be a surprise or, even worse, somehow release that music "first" and then claim that DT ripped them off.

That's basically it, I'm not going to go on a huge rant or anything, just thought I'd try and voice my concerns.  I won't be listening to this until after the actual album comes out and then I can say "yeah, that's pretty cool".  But can you imagine if it's almost EXACTLY like the album?  That would definitely be a red flag if I were DT for any future releases (ie no more studio diaries or photos) and that would definitely be a bummer.

I *do* realize that there are very few fanatics like us who have the skills and passion to actually pull something like this off and that the vast majority of DT fans won't ever come across this and will be none-the-wiser.  It's just rubbing me the wrong way.

I do see your point, but I work under the assumption that they wouldn't stick anything in a video they didn't want to be seen. All we've really got is trivial working titles, a chart showing supposedly how many tracks the album will have, and a few bars of one instrument of one song.
I think of it like a nugget, or a challenge for the real diehard fans who want to go the extra mile for a bit of info, stuff you'd otherwise miss while watching it casually. And as this thread shows, it's been effective at creating some buzz and interest leading up to the album, which is a good thing.

I think you have to consider the artist.  Dream Theater don't strike me as the type to freak out about this kind of thing.  I think, if anything, they'd be impressed and amused by the ingenuity and dedication of their fanbase. 

Probably this too. I think they'd be proud to have such a dedicated fanbase that can take a blurry screenshot from a video and turn it into actual music from the album!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #4166 on: June 10, 2013, 01:02:42 AM »
... OK, I was wrong! I was a fool to argue with Robwebster. I mean, he has "webster" in his name. He must be a genius...

I never claimed to be the best blacksmith in Skyrim FUCK OFF YOU WANKER!

I'm sorry.

Friends?
Totes. And I'm sure you'll be a great blacksmith one day.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #4167 on: June 10, 2013, 01:03:48 AM »
I actually hope DT sees this so they continue to see the extent to which their fans go. And if they do, I would want them to know we all go this far because of the extent that they go to make incredible music and make the world a better place.

Anyway, I definitely think they'd get a kick out of this in a good way. And even if it's not in a good way, they simply won't show a shot of midi on the screen in the next video. These videos are already so meticulously edited anyway, you can tell they put in each thing on purpose.

somehow release that music "first" and then claim that DT ripped them off.

I would think these songs are already copy-writed or protected in some way, right?

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4168 on: June 10, 2013, 01:18:01 AM »
Sorry was late at night

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #4169 on: June 10, 2013, 01:51:06 AM »
Am I the only one here who can't stop listening to that midi sequence?
I couldn't get it to play in any of my usual media players, so I downloaded a specific midi player for it. It let me choose different 'instruments' to play the sequence through and I was sitting listening to it over and over with all these different sounds.  :lol I even recorded some of them and laid them all out in Audacity to make a 'song' out of them - had some bass, drums, guitar and synth all playing together and saved it as an MP3  :facepalm:
any chance of posting the mp3 so those of us checking in on mobile devices can hear it please :hefdaddy
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #4170 on: June 10, 2013, 01:55:11 AM »
Could someone upload a Youtube video of it or something? None of the links are working for me, including Blob's.

I don't know what device you're on, but I guess it doesn't support the old midi file. Here's an mp3 link. Let me know if this works for you.
https://www.blobvandam.com/link/dt12_new_song.mp3
ignore last post and thanks muchly :tup
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4171 on: June 10, 2013, 02:03:28 AM »
Could someone upload a Youtube video of it or something? None of the links are working for me, including Blob's.

I don't know what device you're on, but I guess it doesn't support the old midi file. Here's an mp3 link. Let me know if this works for you.

Sounds sweet, guessing its on guitar or something

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4172 on: June 10, 2013, 03:16:11 AM »
Sorry was late at night

Rich is awesome.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #4173 on: June 10, 2013, 05:45:36 AM »
I can't wait.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #4174 on: June 10, 2013, 06:59:58 AM »
So, we know by the words of JP that this album is gonna be a celebration of what dream theater truly is and represents. But DT has shown many different aspects through the years and on the other hand an album, by its own nature, needs a coherent mood/style/imprint. You can choose to be eccentric, and this is something usual for prog, but the tracks on the album must be tied together by a common thread. I think it will be quite the challenge for them to show the various aspects of DT in a single album and release a CD that works well as a whole.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #4175 on: June 10, 2013, 07:36:43 AM »

Sounds sweet, guessing its on guitar or something

Someone make a note of this so when it is determined which actual song was figured out, they can post it.  I'm sure they is someone on here that will know almost immediately.  It might even be good to include which songs we knew the lyrics for also.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4176 on: June 10, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »
I think it will be quite the challenge for them to show the various aspects of DT in a single album and release a CD that works well as a whole.

I don't doubt DT can and will achieve that, though.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online Dream Team

« Reply #4177 on: June 10, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
So, we know by the words of JP that this album is gonna be a celebration of what dream theater truly is and represents. But DT has shown many different aspects through the years and on the other hand an album, by its own nature, needs a coherent mood/style/imprint. You can choose to be eccentric, and this is something usual for prog, but the tracks on the album must be tied together by a common thread. I think it will be quite the challenge for them to show the various aspects of DT in a single album and release a CD that works well as a whole.

I'm pretty sure he also said this about OV and ADTOE. It also could have been a very apt description of SFAM.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4178 on: June 10, 2013, 08:26:32 AM »
My only concern with an album that shows everything about DT, is that it might not show anything new for DT, and won't have a lot of experimenting. I'm hoping it's something that manages to sound like DT, but yet sound nothing like anything they've done before. I don't want an album as safe as ADTOE again.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4179 on: June 10, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »
I think the rhythmic experimentation facilitated by MM, which has been hinted at by the band, should ensure the album won't be as safe as ADTOE.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:43:50 AM by cyberdrummer »

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #4180 on: June 10, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »

I'm pretty sure he also said this about OV and ADTOE. It also could have been a very apt description of SFAM.

Good point, but neither of them was self-titled, if you know what I mean.

@Blob: I agree with what you said, and I still don't know if the drumming alone may ensure there's enough experimentation in the album.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4181 on: June 10, 2013, 08:41:57 AM »
I think the rhythmic experimentation facilitated by MM that has been hinted at should ensure the album won't be as safe as ADTOE.

THIS.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4182 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »
I think the rhythmic experimentation facilitated by MM that has been hinted at should ensure the album won't be as safe as ADTOE.

I definitely get that feeling too, and just having a completely fresh member included in the writing process is bound to add something new over ADTOE. The comments about the self titled album representing everything about DT worry me a bit though, given that ADTOE didn't exactly thrill me either.
I'm hoping it doesn't mean it's going to sound too familiar, and means it's going to represent their core elements well while still progressing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4183 on: June 10, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Don't you think that Turn Of Events was purposefully safe though ?

Kind of a " we've been through a lot recently but we're still the DT you know and love ".

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4184 on: June 10, 2013, 08:58:54 AM »
I'm still waiting for JP to bust out some atmospheric guitar soundscapes.  That's something they haven't really explored yet.  That combined with JR would be  :omg:
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #4185 on: June 10, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »
I think SFAM is a perfect example of what DT is and represents. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4186 on: June 10, 2013, 09:11:11 AM »
Didn't JP say in the Score documentary that 8VM is the essence of what DT is all about? Could be that it was their newest one, so they automatically felt that way.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4187 on: June 10, 2013, 09:12:58 AM »
Don't you think that Turn Of Events was purposefully safe though ?

Kind of a " we've been through a lot recently but we're still the DT you know and love ".

Yes, but for me it was safe to the point of being a little too familiar, and I'm hoping the next album isn't purposefully safe too.
I want a DT album that gives me something I don't get from any other DT album, that gives me a reason to listen to this album, instead of making me want to listen to SFAM. :lol

Let's see what the addition of MM brings to the table! :tup

Offline JPX

« Reply #4188 on: June 10, 2013, 09:17:28 AM »
I'm still waiting for JP to bust out some atmospheric guitar soundscapes.  That's something they haven't really explored yet.  That combined with JR would be  :omg:

Did you miss the album where they wrote a song called The Count of Tuscany?

Offline JPX

« Reply #4189 on: June 10, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »
My only concern with an album that shows everything about DT, is that it might not show anything new for DT, and won't have a lot of experimenting. I'm hoping it's something that manages to sound like DT, but yet sound nothing like anything they've done before. I don't want an album as safe as ADTOE again.

Well JP did use the term "completely break new ground" in the press release so that makes me hope that we'll get some familiar stuff and some new sounding stuff.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4190 on: June 10, 2013, 09:22:08 AM »
I'm thinking of something more complex than a solo backwards guitar.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4191 on: June 10, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »

Well JP did use the term "completely break new ground" in the press release so that makes me hope that we'll get some familiar stuff and some new sounding stuff.

Oh did he? Maybe my mind focused on the wrong bit! :tup Maybe I'll just wait until I actually hear the album before I make any more judgement, hm? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4192 on: June 10, 2013, 09:32:15 AM »
I would take anything the band members said about the new album like that with a grain of salt.  They always say things like that about every new album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4193 on: June 10, 2013, 09:34:40 AM »
I would take anything the band members said about the new album like that with a grain of salt.  They always say things like that about every new album.

I think the self titled thing has me placing more importance on their comments than I should. I should be thrilled about a DT album that has it all!

Offline JPX

« Reply #4194 on: June 10, 2013, 09:36:57 AM »

I agree, but I think it is a legitimate statement this time given the introduction of Mangini. My hope is that he brings a new element to the writing akin to when Jordan first joined.

Either way I'm excited but I would like something truely "progressive" from Dream Theater this time around.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4195 on: June 10, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
And that goes for every band in existence, even for those bands whose members' tastes and opinions match yours, which renders any sort of prediction based on their statements impossible. I totally agree with JLB on the subject of everything about DT, but then he said Octavarium is one of his fave DT albums and that the recording of SC was the most fun he's had in the studio since Awake, and the majority of both albums makes me want to gauge my eyes out :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JPX

« Reply #4196 on: June 10, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »

How do you achieve something that is both "complex" but also "atmospheric soundscapes"? They seem to be two different things?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4197 on: June 10, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »

What is "solo backwards guitar?"  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4198 on: June 10, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »
Every band keeps saying "this is our best album", "there's something for everyone", etc. every time a new release is coming out. I try not to let my expectations grow too high so that I can be positively surprised if the record turns out to be really great. That said, it can be hard at times :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4199 on: June 10, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »

What is "solo backwards guitar?"  :lol

It's when you play the guitar with the string side turned toward you. Very hard to do.