Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 842163 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #4095 on: June 09, 2013, 07:06:13 AM »
Sunbathing by the sea, having my girlfriend feeding me with huge chops of watermelon, earphones blasting that midi file in my ear over and over. It's gonna be a hot DT summer! Thank you dtforums.org

For some reason I pictured the situation with hefdaddy's face instead of yours. I need some rest.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #4096 on: June 09, 2013, 07:43:53 AM »
The midi is done!
There are a few things to note before listening to the midi: I transcribed each note based on what I saw within the snippet where they showed a midi grid of one of JR's keyboard sections in one of the new tracks. Since the video doesn't indicate the speed at which the song is played at, the bpm I applied might be completely wrong. This also goes for whether any sustain was used. so, I didn't bother adding any sustain. The biggest thing to note is that nearly the entire upper register of notes in the keyboard grid are missing from the video. So it is clearly going to sound choppy and incomplete at times.
So,...
Here is a 30 second midi file of the keyboard section from one of Dream Theater's new songs! -> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_N2BKOBrBNLMDFrSDFZQ0VRVjg/edit?usp=sharing

Fantastic work! :hefdaddy There is no chance in hell this album is going to suck!! Very excited! :metal

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #4097 on: June 09, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »
Midi sounds awesome  :tup

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4098 on: June 09, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »
Can you email the file to luciendangiers@gmail.com? I can't obtain it   :'(
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #4099 on: June 09, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »
Can you email the file to luciendangiers@gmail.com? I can't obtain it   :'(

Check out Blobs post on page 117

Offline Lucien

« Reply #4100 on: June 09, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
Thanks! I'll listen to it after Quicktime decides to finish instaling on my computer, I thought I didn't need this stupid apple software

Offline Lucien

« Reply #4101 on: June 09, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »
That sounds REALLY cool.  :tup

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #4102 on: June 09, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
Can't believe we actually got the MIDI transcribed, that's awesome. :lol

We are such a ridiculous community. :D

It's stuff like this that makes me glad I joined DTF :heart

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4103 on: June 09, 2013, 09:12:44 AM »
I want to listen....but eh, I can wait for the single. I'm more interested in the artwork and tracklist, which I expect by the end of the month.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lucien

« Reply #4104 on: June 09, 2013, 09:13:57 AM »
I want to listen....but eh, I can wait for the single. I'm more interested in the artwork and tracklist, which I expect by the end of the month.

I'm expecting a tracklist sooner, but a single comes probably within the first week of July.

Snippets probably come a month or so later.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #4105 on: June 09, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »
Here's a recent interview of JR:

https://www.bravewords.com/news/205394

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #4106 on: June 09, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »
Could someone upload a Youtube video of it or something? None of the links are working for me, including Blob's.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4107 on: June 09, 2013, 10:38:15 AM »
Could someone upload a Youtube video of it or something? None of the links are working for me, including Blob's.

I don't know what device you're on, but I guess it doesn't support the old midi file. Here's an mp3 link. Let me know if this works for you.
https://www.blobvandam.com/link/dt12_new_song.mp3
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #4108 on: June 09, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »
In all honesty, it reminds me of this, at least the beginning of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6daPF-SikY

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #4109 on: June 09, 2013, 10:48:09 AM »

I don't know what device you're on, but I guess it doesn't support the old midi file. Here's an mp3 link. Let me know if this works for you.

Thank you, it worked! Sounds awesome!

Offline Shine

« Reply #4110 on: June 09, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »
Maybe I'm totally off the mark here, but I'm kind of picking up an Awake vibe from this. Seems kind of dark. Clearly we'll need so more instrumentation before an obvious comparison can be drawn, but I could see this album kind of heading in that direction.
lake of fire

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4111 on: June 09, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »
Well, ADTOE had a total I&W vibe....
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4112 on: June 09, 2013, 10:53:52 AM »

Thank you, it worked! Sounds awesome!

Glad it worked. :tup Might help out a few other people who can't use the other link too.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4113 on: June 09, 2013, 11:22:11 AM »
Windows Media Player should be able to play MIDI files just fine, not sure why people are having problems!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4114 on: June 09, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Windows Media Player should be able to play MIDI files just fine, not sure why people are having problems!

But not everyone has a superior Windows machine. Some people might be checking the forum on their little mobile toys. :blob: :P

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #4115 on: June 09, 2013, 11:34:23 AM »
True. I'm connecting through iPhone and I had to download an app to be able to listen to the midi file. It's called Sweet Midi, btw, and worked pretty well.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4116 on: June 09, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »

But not everyone has a superior Windows machine. Some people might be checking the forum on their little mobile toys. :blob: :P

Well they better get with it and stop relying on cell phones...

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #4117 on: June 09, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
Yeah that does sound really cool

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4118 on: June 09, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »

Well to be fair, it wouldn't be right to discriminate against people using cell phones, considering JR probably performed that section using his cell phone. :neverusethis:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4119 on: June 09, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »
Sunbathing by the sea, having my girlfriend feeding me with huge chops of watermelon, earphones blasting that midi file in my ear over and over. It's gonna be a hot DT summer! Thank you dtforums.org

For some reason I pictured the situation with hefdaddy's face instead of yours. I need some rest.
I love you too
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4120 on: June 09, 2013, 12:16:05 PM »

Well to be fair, it wouldn't be right to discriminate against people using cell phones, considering JR probably performed that section using his cell phone. :neverusethis:

Using your phone to create music is one thing, relying on it to listen to files, use GPS, and various internet things is another. Get a damn computer, and learn how to use a map.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4121 on: June 09, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »
In all honesty, it reminds me of this, at least the beginning of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6daPF-SikY

Haha, that made me laugh.

I like it a lot. It has a nice rhythm and If what i'm hearing in my head is close to the actual thing then we're in for a treat. I can just imagine manginis insane drums playing cool patterns.now I'm all excited for DT^2
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4122 on: June 09, 2013, 12:57:48 PM »
I too am excited for DT12

-troll-

seriously though listening to that made me wanna listen to ADTOE.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #4123 on: June 09, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
From the way it sounds to me, I don't think the tempo will be that far off. It's a neat little snippet and it's the first taste of what's to come, even if that taste is stripped down to one ingredient, and might not be cooked properly.  :lol
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #4124 on: June 09, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »
From the way it sounds to me, I don't think the tempo will be that far off. It's a neat little snippet and it's the first taste of what's to come, even if that taste is stripped down to one ingredient, and it might not be cooked properly.  :lol

Dream Theater are master chef's. They own Hell's Kitchen.

:lhk:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #4125 on: June 09, 2013, 02:27:35 PM »
Dream Theater are master chef's. They own Hell's Kitchen.

:lhk:
Don't cross the cooked step.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4126 on: June 09, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »
Am I the only one who's uncomfortable with this whole transcribing of the screenshot and making a midi out of it?

I feel it's a slippery slope where if it gets out of hand artists might not want to release anything (studio diaries, photos, etc) for fear that people will be able to figure out things that were supposed to be a surprise or, even worse, somehow release that music "first" and then claim that DT ripped them off.

That's basically it, I'm not going to go on a huge rant or anything, just thought I'd try and voice my concerns.  I won't be listening to this until after the actual album comes out and then I can say "yeah, that's pretty cool".  But can you imagine if it's almost EXACTLY like the album?  That would definitely be a red flag if I were DT for any future releases (ie no more studio diaries or photos) and that would definitely be a bummer.

I *do* realize that there are very few fanatics like us who have the skills and passion to actually pull something like this off and that the vast majority of DT fans won't ever come across this and will be none-the-wiser.  It's just rubbing me the wrong way.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4127 on: June 09, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »
Am I the only one who's uncomfortable with this whole transcribing of the screenshot and making a midi out of it?

I feel it's a slippery slope where if it gets out of hand artists might not want to release anything (studio diaries, photos, etc) for fear that people will be able to figure out things that were supposed to be a surprise or, even worse, somehow release that music "first" and then claim that DT ripped them off.
I don't really think so. It's all in good fun and I don't even think DT expected anyone to pause it and transcribe it, just like the progress chart. If anything, I think they actually might be kind of impressed that someone was able to transcribe from a YouTube video.

That or JLB would tell us we need to get a fuckin' life.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #4128 on: June 09, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »
Yeah, it's definitely super cool and impressive that someone transcribed it, but what PetFish said was kinda my initial reaction to it.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4129 on: June 09, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
I think you have to consider the artist.  Dream Theater don't strike me as the type to freak out about this kind of thing.  I think, if anything, they'd be impressed and amused by the ingenuity and dedication of their fanbase. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa