Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 846822 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #3780 on: June 06, 2013, 02:48:19 PM »
the JP/cake part of the video, did anyone notice the dry erase board with the songs? looks like 9...

How can you see that? It's way too blurry and in the background....

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3781 on: June 06, 2013, 02:50:30 PM »
DTDT1, DTDT2, DTDT3... etc... reminds me of structuring organic molecules in chemistry...

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3782 on: June 06, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »
I've seen it. I'm a fan of them on FB! I just don't see this image being anything official. I think it's just a temporary promo image until they have an album cover, because Hugh Syme wouldn't use the wrong Majesty logo, and it doesn't look like his style. It just looks like a quick (although nice) rendering to me.

"The wrong" logo? What?

The real majesty logo isn't that squished vertically, or that rounded, and it's not that symmetrical along the vertical axis either. Those bars are supposed to cross lower down. Also, the curves on the beam tails are way too sharp, and the serifs are nowhere near wide enough.

Also, I just noticed that the lighting on this majesty logo looks wrong.  The shadow is perfectly sitting in front of the logo, which means the lighting would need to come directly from the back.  Meanwhile, the front left side of the majesty logo also seems to have light hitting it, but there's no shadow behind the logo to account for that light.   :huh:   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3783 on: June 06, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
WDADU is the first era.

DT12 is the second era.

I do not think we will have DTDT2 or DTDT3 just because he said "more will come".

He most likely wasn't intending for fans to think there would be some unoriginal Dream Theater II or Dream Theater III, and I would much rather not know what the album is called so that I may anticipate learning the name.

Predictability is not the nature of a progressive band.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3784 on: June 06, 2013, 02:53:39 PM »
Yep, we know that the album is at least less than 80 minutes in length. No double album.
Not so fast. One side of an LP holds a bit more than 25 minutes of music. So imagine each side is full to the brim-- or close. Let's just say there's only 22 minutes of music per side. That makes the overall length of the album 88 minutes long, which is approximated two 42 minute discs. Which honestly isn't that far off from where SDOIT is.
That still doesn't make it a double album. Isn't a double album recognized as 100 minutes in order for each sale to count as 2 (a double album)?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3785 on: June 06, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
Well it appears as though there will be 9 songs on the album. This perhaps diminishes the chances of a song that is 20+ minutes long, UNLESS it's a double album.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3786 on: June 06, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »
I don't think it'll be a double album, they most likely would've mentioned that in today's PR.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #3787 on: June 06, 2013, 02:58:44 PM »
Does anyone else get really annoyed when people say "This is definitely DT's best album"? I'm hoping just as much as anyone that this album kicks ass, but I can't stand it when people claim for absolutely certain that this album will be their best, that it'll beat Images, Awake, and SFAM. I'd love for it to be their best, but no one can make that judgement until we can actually listen to the album.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3788 on: June 06, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
Yep, we know that the album is at least less than 80 minutes in length. No double album.
Not so fast. One side of an LP holds a bit more than 25 minutes of music. So imagine each side is full to the brim-- or close. Let's just say there's only 22 minutes of music per side. That makes the overall length of the album 88 minutes long, which is approximated two 42 minute discs. Which honestly isn't that far off from where SDOIT is.
That still doesn't make it a double album. Isn't a double album recognized as 100 minutes in order for each sale to count as 2 (a double album)?
Oh, I don't know anything about that. Six Degres was not a double album under that definition, either. Nor are most of the double albums from the vinyl era.

Offline liran95

« Reply #3789 on: June 06, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »
Well it appears as though there will be 9 songs on the album. This perhaps diminishes the chances of a song that is 20+ minutes long, UNLESS it's a double album.

What about Octavarium? It contains 8 songs (which isn't really that far) and it has a 20+min song.
We can only hope  :)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3790 on: June 06, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »
Self titled?  Not a problem for me, in fact I find it cool that they do it this deep into their careers.  Obviously they could have done this earlier but chose not to and I trust their reasons for doing it now.  I DO NOT think it is a jab at MP as some have speculated.  I just don't see that as part of their overall character.  I'm sure they are all WAY beyond wasting any time on petty jabs. 

I like to see this as their way of saying "Hey, by the way we are Dream Theater.  We have been working our asses off for 30 years to produce some of the best music on the planet and we thought we would catch our breaths, look into the crowd, smile and say HI"

Nothing sinister here, it is kind of like when JLB acknowledges the crowd after 2 or 3 blistering opening tunes and then he takes a moment to give a shout out and introduce themselves.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3791 on: June 06, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »
I like to see this as their way of saying "Hey, by the way we are Dream Theater.  We have been working our asses off for 30 years to produce some of the best music on the planet and we thought we would catch our breaths, look into the crowd, smile and say HI"

:clap:

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3792 on: June 06, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »

:clap:

heh..heh...I got the clap from Lonestar....heh heh.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #3793 on: June 06, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but did anyone notice the lyric sheet from the DT studio photos on the Cove City Sound facebook page? You can actually read it clearly!

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3794 on: June 06, 2013, 03:56:15 PM »
Hopefully after it comes out we'll be calling it the best fucking DT album ever. :metal :metal :metal
Eh, Awake still exists :)

My list has Awake at no.5. Don't hate me. :heart
Yeah, Awake isn't THAT great. Jordan didn't even join the band til 6 years later..  :biggrin:

OH SNAP!

:lol
Jordan won't be happy when he knows that according to your alternate history he didn't play on SFAM :P
Damn, why did I think Awake was 1993?
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #3795 on: June 06, 2013, 03:59:21 PM »
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but did anyone notice the lyric sheet from the DT studio photos on the Cove City Sound facebook page? You can actually read it clearly!

"I'm running from the enemy inside
Searching for the life I left behind
These suffocating memories
Are etched upon my mind
And I can't escape from the enemy inside"

The song could very well be called "The Enemy Inside".

• EB
« Reply #3796 on: June 06, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »
Or just Enemy.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3797 on: June 06, 2013, 04:06:31 PM »
Or just 'The'

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #3798 on: June 06, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
Or just "Dream Theater"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3799 on: June 06, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »
Or just ""

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3800 on: June 06, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »
Or just "Self Titled"

Seriously, The Enemy Inside sounds like a cool song title.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3801 on: June 06, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »
Sounds like something you'd see on ToT  :-X

Offline av450

« Reply #3802 on: June 06, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
Or just "Self Titled"

Reminds me of The Enemy Within by Rush

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3803 on: June 06, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »
Or just "Self Titled"

WWRD
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #3804 on: June 06, 2013, 04:18:22 PM »
Or just "Self Titled"

WWRD

Dream Theater are too smart to follow Reagan. Nice try.

:neverusethis:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3805 on: June 06, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Or just "Dream Theater"
I predict this will be quite the running joke in a few years :D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3806 on: June 06, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
Or just "Self Titled"

First thing I thought.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3807 on: June 06, 2013, 04:27:08 PM »
The lyrics sound like something Redemption would do.
Maybe Ray Adler does guest vocals in return for the guest vocals done by JLB for Redemption :o

• EB
« Reply #3808 on: June 06, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
How about that custom baritone with the floyd rose!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3809 on: June 06, 2013, 04:44:17 PM »
Self titled?  Not a problem for me, in fact I find it cool that they do it this deep into their careers.  Obviously they could have done this earlier but chose not to and I trust their reasons for doing it now.  I DO NOT think it is a jab at MP as some have speculated.  I just don't see that as part of their overall character.  I'm sure they are all WAY beyond wasting any time on petty jabs. 

Nothing sinister here, it is kind of like when JLB acknowledges the crowd after 2 or 3 blistering opening tunes and then he takes a moment to give a shout out and introduce themselves.

forevermore?

INTO THE NIGHT?!

BLISTERING?!?!?!1
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #3810 on: June 06, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »

I'm wondering what that guitar on the right is. It clearly says JP13, but doesn't seem to have a piezo and the neck color seems to be a lot brighter.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

• EB
« Reply #3811 on: June 06, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »

I'm wondering what that guitar on the right is. It clearly says JP13, but doesn't seem to have a piezo and the neck color seems to be a lot brighter.
That's the one I was talking about. I'm pretty sure it's a baritone - the neck profile seems longer than normal. It's got a floyd rose too which is odd. Never seen that on any of JP's Music Man guitars.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #3812 on: June 06, 2013, 05:23:10 PM »
Maybe it's a special for John. There's at least no such guitar at Music Man's site, but then again the regular JP13 hasn't been released yet either. The Floyd is kinda downgrading the looks of the guitar IMO (which it would on any guitar).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:46:04 PM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3813 on: June 06, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »
I'd love to see DT to truly embrace their prog side and finally have an album with several short unaccompanied songs, like a short piano or acoustic song, ala Yes' Mood for a Day, The Flower Kings' If 28 or Rush's Hope.  They sort of did that on SFAM by having Through My Words, except that that had some singing, too.  It could give an album a more cohesive and better flow by having several transitional pieces like those that act as sort of a brief comedown between two 10-minute plus tunes.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #3814 on: June 06, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »

"I'm running from the enemy inside
Searching for the life I left behind
These suffocating memories
Are etched upon my mind
And I can't escape from the enemy inside"

The song could very well be called "The Enemy Inside".

Yay! First piece of lyrics already...