Author Topic: DT in the studio again!  (Read 847139 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: DT in the studio again!
« Reply #3745 on: June 06, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline krands85

« Reply #3746 on: June 06, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »
I am not a big fan of having self-titled albums when they aren't your first album, but it is not that big of a deal to where pissing and moaning about it non-stop is worth it.  How good the music on it is is what ultimately matters.
This. I'm just glad these guys are continuing to bring out new music and touring regularly, especially considering how long they've been doing it. If they can top ADToE, I'll be delighted - as it's still my #3 DT album.

I hope they release a song before the album again like with OtBoA, but if not, there's plenty of great stuff on the horizon to keep me occupied until the end of September. Final seasons of Breaking Bad and Dexter, new JLB solo album and GTA5 comes out 1 week before DT12! Plus the in-studio videos look interesting - hope there are several installments of those.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3747 on: June 06, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »
The old System of a Down forum I was a part of used to abbreviate their self titled album as just ST, and they'd refer to it as 'self titled'.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3748 on: June 06, 2013, 01:06:48 PM »
The old System of a Down forum I was a part of used to abbreviate their self titled album as just ST, and they'd refer to it as 'self titled'.

I thought it was Shitty Tunes?
 :rollin

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #3749 on: June 06, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
From Mike Mangini: I cannot wait for it to be heard. Every note. Every song. Every instrument and person in the band. I could NOT be happier and hope everyone that it into DT is as well. Chocolate Cake for sure !!

and from the Cove City Sound Studios FB page:

It was truly an amazing experience helping Dream Theater craft their latest album, self titled "Dream Theater". With Rich Chycki at the helm and our assistant engineer James Meslin, "Dream Theatre" will easily be one of the greatest records ever recorded at Cove City Sound Studios. Thank you very much to all the members of Dream Theater, as well as their tech team for sharing this experience with us!

So, maybe this album is very amazing!!!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3750 on: June 06, 2013, 01:12:59 PM »
From Mike Mangini: I cannot wait for it to be heard. Every note. Every song. Every instrument and person in the band. I could NOT be happier and hope everyone that it into DT is as well. Chocolate Cake for sure !!

It was truly an amazing experience helping Dream Theater craft their latest album, self titled "Dream Theater". With Rich Chycki at the helm and our assistant engineer James Meslin, "Dream Theatre" will easily be one of the greatest records ever recorded at Cove City Sound Studios. Thank you very much to all the members of Dream Theater, as well as their tech team for sharing this experience with us!

:facepalm:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #3751 on: June 06, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »

My first reaction as well :biggrin:
Especially since they got it right three times :facepalm:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3752 on: June 06, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »

OH MY GOURD, IT'S NOT SELF TITLED AFTER ALL. *HUFF PUFF HUFF PUFF*

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3753 on: June 06, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
Hopefully after it comes out we'll be calling it the best fucking DT album ever. :metal :metal :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3754 on: June 06, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »

My first reaction as well :biggrin:
Especially since they got it right three times :facepalm:

Well, you know what they say.  Three out of four ain't bad.

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3755 on: June 06, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »
Hopefully after it comes out we'll be calling it the best fucking DT album ever. :metal :metal :metal

:tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3756 on: June 06, 2013, 01:26:20 PM »
Eh, Awake still exists :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3757 on: June 06, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »
Just got back from class and saw the video.

HAPPENING STATUS: IT'S!!!!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3758 on: June 06, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »
Just got back from class and saw the video.

HAPPENING STATUS: IT'S!!!!

:lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1SZrZbRMA

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3759 on: June 06, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »

My list has Awake at no.5. Don't hate me. :heart

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3760 on: June 06, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »

Yeah, Awake isn't THAT great. Jordan didn't even join the band til 6 years later..  :biggrin:

OH SNAP!

Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3761 on: June 06, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »
I think the title is a missed opportunity. If they wanted to self-title the album, they should have called it "Dream Theatre" to spice things up.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3762 on: June 06, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »

Yeah, Awake isn't THAT great. Jordan didn't even join the band til 6 years later..  :biggrin:

OH SNAP!

:lol  :tup
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3763 on: June 06, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »
Purple. Maybe a guest appearance by Prince?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #3764 on: June 06, 2013, 02:05:21 PM »
Eh, Awake SFAM still exists :)

Awake is my #3 though :)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3765 on: June 06, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »

OH SNAP!

Jordan won't be happy when he knows that according to your alternate history he didn't play on SFAM :P

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3766 on: June 06, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »
Regarding the purple majesty logo and some people referring to this as the "Purple Album."  Here is the symbolism of the color purple:

Link: https://crystal-cure.com/purple.html

"Purple is the color of good judgment. It is the color of people seeking spiritual fulfillment. It is said if you surround yourself with purple you will have peace of mind. Purple is a good color to use in meditation.  Purple has been used to symbolize magic and mystery, as well as royalty. Being the combination of red and blue, the warmest and coolest colors, purple is believed to be the ideal color. Most children love the color purple. Purple is the color most favored by artists. Thursday's color is purple."

EDIT: Also, I think there's more to that majesty logo than we are seeing.  It looks like there's something reflected in it.  It reminds me of Peter Gabriel's Up album, where you could see a reflection of his face inside each of the water droplets.  We'll have to see when a high resolution version of the artwork is released.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3767 on: June 06, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »
The title was revealed on a Thursday.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3768 on: June 06, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
NUGGETZ

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #3769 on: June 06, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »
I would like to know how purple came to be Thursday's color  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3770 on: June 06, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »
Maybe Wednesday was Red and Friday was Blue and they totes fell in love and shipped.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #3771 on: June 06, 2013, 02:29:20 PM »
the JP/cake part of the video, did anyone notice the dry erase board with the songs? looks like 9...

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3772 on: June 06, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
Just when you thought it was over.... "12-Step Reprise"

It will be dance/house music (like those 4 seconds in BAI) consisting of themes from the 12 Step Saga.

I'm calling it.

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #3773 on: June 06, 2013, 02:36:55 PM »
It better not be self titled. :tdwn No album but a debut should ever be self titled.
Tell that to Metallica  :hat

Nobody in the world calls that album "Metallica", or self titled anyway. It is The Black Album.
And considering one reason I hate self titled albums is because they're lazy, the equally uninspired album cover of that album really doesn't help the cause at all. :lol

No, but technically it's named "Metallica", even though it de facto is called "The Black Album". "Dream theater" will of course get the same treatment.

Titles and cover art isn't really that important to me as long as the core (i.e. the music) is good...so let's see what happens on that front :)

Offline Lucien

« Reply #3774 on: June 06, 2013, 02:38:38 PM »
the JP/cake part of the video, did anyone notice the dry erase board with the songs? looks like 9...

This, so our silly 11 song theory was false.

Unless 1 of the songs has 3 parts.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #3775 on: June 06, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »
So the announcement says that it is going to be on a double LP which is standard CD length.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3776 on: June 06, 2013, 02:41:05 PM »
Yep, we know that the album is at least less than 80 minutes in length. No double album.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3777 on: June 06, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »
I say we call it DTDT1 as JP said its their first Self titled album, MORE TO COME!

But i'm most worried about this quote from JP “To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground."

New band direction? POP music it is....

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3778 on: June 06, 2013, 02:45:24 PM »
Yep, we know that the album is at least less than 80 minutes in length. No double album.
Not so fast. One side of an LP holds a bit more than 25 minutes of music. So imagine each side is full to the brim-- or close. Let's just say there's only 22 minutes of music per side. That makes the overall length of the album 88 minutes long, which is approximated two 42 minute discs. Which honestly isn't that far off from where SDOIT is.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3779 on: June 06, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
I say we call it DTDT1 as JP said its their first Self titled album, MORE TO COME!

But i'm most worried about this quote from JP “To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground."

New band direction? POP music it is....

No, the new direction is that every album from now on will be self-titled.  This is just the first.