Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 76847 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)
« Reply #910 on: November 29, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »
What's your stance on action movies/Tarantino, Chad? I'm NOT a Tarantino fan by and large, and I don't often watch action movies (they largely bore me to tears) but the Kill Bills are good old fun and a thrill to watch even the third or fourth time. Check 'em out!

Well, if/when I get to the rest of my list, you'll see the two flagship QT movies right up there, along with another he wrote.  So, I'm a big QT fan.  Which is what makes this so shocking.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #911 on: November 29, 2019, 11:40:39 AM »
What's your stance on action movies/Tarantino, Chad? I'm NOT a Tarantino fan by and large, and I don't often watch action movies (they largely bore me to tears) but the Kill Bills are good old fun and a thrill to watch even the third or fourth time. Check 'em out!

Well, if/when I get to the rest of my list, you'll see the two flagship QT movies right up there, along with another he wrote.  So, I'm a big QT fan.  Which is what makes this so shocking.

Wow yeah, that is shocking then. PF is on your list? I can't fucking stand that one.  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: November 29, 2019, 02:00:30 PM »
PF is on your list? I can't fucking stand that one.  :rollin

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #913 on: December 03, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
The Road

Released November 25th, 2009 (in North America)
Directed by John Hillcoat
Starring Viggo Mortensen, Kodi-SmitMcPhee, Robert Duvall, Charlize Theron, and Guy Pearce

The Road remains to this day the only film I've watched on impulse at the theater, and I'm so glad I did. I showed up too early for another film I was anticipating, so I chose this because it had Viggo Mortensen. I left the theater sad and cold. I watch movies alone, and this film really makes you feel alone in the world with Viggo's character and the kid.

The Road is based on a book of the same name by Cormac McCarthy. The Road takes place in a post-apocalyptic United States. The event is never explained or talked about. Nobody really has a name in this film. Viggo's character is 'the dad' or 'the man', the child is called 'the boy' and The Man's late wife, who has a few minutes of screentime, is just called 'The Woman.' There are very few characters in this film outside of The Man and The Boy. The entire film follows them traveling down the east coast in an effort to reach Florida, specifically a harbor, from which they might be able to get further south to a warmer, hopefully more livable climate.

That's it, that's the film. It's the tale of a father struggling to protect his little boy in a world that is beyond dying - it is gray, dead, a husk of its former self. You hear ominous booms and rumbles in the distance that are never explained, and the skies are always miserably dark. So many people have died, and food so scarce, that people have even turned to cannibalism. The Man and The Boy have no protection except for a handgun with two bullets left in the chamber, reserved for themselves if it comes to that.

Thematically it's all about survival and inner strength and squeezing tight to what you can hold on to in your life. Every encounter with another human is a very tense affair. Who do you trust, and how much can you trust them, in a world where there's only the slightest sliver of hope for anybody, and no guarantee of food of any kind? Do you show kindness and mercy? Do you kill on sight? Do you fall asleep with a stranger? Viggo Mortensen does some brilliant acting without speaking in a lot of scenes. He really looks like a haggard, tired, broken man with no patience for anybody else except his son, and his son acts as a good foil for that type of character, and the conflict is visible on Viggo's face for much of the film.

My favorite thing about The Road is The Man teaching his kid how to survive and be strong. The best scenes are the ones where the kid disagrees with his dad, or vice versa, when they butt heads - learning from each other in the process. The dad hates that the kid has to grow up in hell on Earth; the kid hates that the dad doesn't show any warmth or kindness to other people. The kid's naive nature clashes with the dad's protective nature and other times they're two peas in a pod. They're all they have for each other. And when they come across a below-ground shelter full of food and a house that hasn't been destroyed yet, you really feel like they've finally hit a well earned victory, even if it won't last forever.

The magic of this film is in the little moments, like when they find a vending machine and the kid gets his first taste of Coca Cola. Or when the boy helps comfort his father as he develops a cold out on the road one night. It's such a sad, hopeless film, yet in those moments I feel hope for them and their love for each other is palpable. The Road is all about the journey, not the destination, and the last act is so god damn heartbreaking to me that it's hard to watch. I don't know if this is a tougher watch than Requiem for a Dream, but it feels a lot more personal. Super powerful movie that's stuck with me from the first viewing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: December 03, 2019, 04:26:50 PM »
I watched this one when I was watching all the movies from Victims of the Modern Age. Telly liked it - for being as bleak and dreary as it was. Nice write up  :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: December 03, 2019, 04:55:39 PM »
I watched this one when I was watching all the movies from Victims of the Modern Age. Telly liked it - for being as bleak and dreary as it was. Nice write up  :tup

Cool!!  :metal

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #916 on: December 04, 2019, 07:37:21 AM »
I really need to watch this, I heard a lot of good things and Arjen Lucassen made a song of it. But then I've read the book and that is so bleak and depressing as hell. So while I want to watch it, I also kind of dread watching the movie if it is in the same tone, because it will probably put me in a dark mood.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: December 04, 2019, 07:41:35 AM »
I really need to watch this, I heard a lot of good things and Arjen Lucassen made a song of it. But then I've read the book and that is so bleak and depressing as hell. So while I want to watch it, I also kind of dread watching the movie if it is in the same tone, because it will probably put me in a dark mood.

It definitely won't cheer you up, that's for sure. If you recall the scene with the house and the basement, that is one of the most disturbing scenes I've seen on film. And it's masterfully shot in my opinion. Give it a watch sometime, since you've read the book - I'd love to know your opinions on the adaptation.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #918 on: December 04, 2019, 07:44:16 AM »
Yeah, that scene was brutal. Especially because it was only hinted at what was happening and you had to make the connections yourself. Sick stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: December 09, 2019, 12:09:18 PM »
The Shining

Directed by Stanley Kubrick
Starring Jack Nicholson, Shelly Duvall, Scatman Crothers, and Danny Lloyd

I just love this movie to death. There are very very few horror movies I enjoy, and they all tend to be psychological, like The Shining. This is a movie I'll stop to watch no matter what when it's on TV. It's so damn good. The slow pace does not bother me at all, because it actually makes it better. It's The Shining. Nuff said. Don't need to explain a thing about this movie. If you haven't seen it, watch it, duh. Everything about it rules.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: December 10, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »
I'm officially bored (much easier to write at length about music than films). Here's the rest of the list  :rollin

1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. Goodfellas
3. Tommy Boy
4. Uncle Buck
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
6. Pineapple Express
7. Step Brothers
8. This Is The End
9. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
10. Toy Story
11. Finding Nemo
12. Forrest Gump
13. A Clockwork Orange
14. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
15. Kill Bill, Vol. 2
16. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
17. The Shining
18. The Road
19. Kill Bill, Vol. 1
20. Requiem For A Dream

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #921 on: December 10, 2019, 11:31:46 AM »

Pretty good list none-the-less.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #922 on: December 11, 2019, 02:53:36 AM »

This is one of my favorite movies from the "completely-stupid-and-pointless" category. So stupid, yet so hilarious.  :metal ;D :biggrin: :metal

And there are some other good movies in your list.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: December 11, 2019, 06:30:22 AM »

This is one of my favorite movies from the "completely-stupid-and-pointless" category. So stupid, yet so hilarious.  :metal ;D :biggrin: :metal

And there are some other good movies in your list.

Give him the map Scott. GIVE HIM THE MAP, SCOTT!!! :lol