Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 76850 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)
« Reply #875 on: October 03, 2013, 09:54:40 PM »
The only one of those I've seen is Cinema Paradiso, but I'd actually definitely go with the Director's Cut, at the very least see it after seeing the international cut.
It just adds an extra layer to the story that gives the story a bit more purpose to me. I saw it directly after the international cut, and it took nothing away from the ending imo, but added to it.

But it does have great music. I can still recall the main theme off the top of my head, and I've only seen the movie a couple of times, and this was probably over 5 years ago.

Also, it's the source of the middle Italian sample from DT - Take The Time, which is why I initially got it. Turns out it wasn't a half bad movie. Bonus! :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #876 on: October 19, 2013, 08:06:03 PM »
Just bumping this in case anyone still wants to follow it.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #877 on: October 20, 2013, 03:15:12 AM »
I do.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #878 on: October 20, 2013, 05:29:00 AM »
I do.

As am I.  I should also be ready to finish off mine in the next few weeks.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #879 on: October 20, 2013, 09:14:30 AM »
Is toro ever going to finish his? Otherwise next person up may go as far as I'm concerned.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #880 on: October 20, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
Shit sorry guys let me just get this over with:

5.- The Big Lebowski (1998)
The funniest most quotable movie I have ever seen.

4.- 7 samurais (1954)
Amazin movie.

3.- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1996)
DAT GRAVEYARD STAND-OFF

2.- Lost In Translation (2003)
Everything.

1.- True Grit (1969/2010)
I love both versions for different reasons. The 1969 on is pure nostalgia for me, but I loved the remake too, which I believe is a better movie.

Sorry for the delay.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #881 on: October 21, 2013, 05:10:34 AM »
4.- 7 samurais (1954)
Amazin movie.

1.- True Grit (1969/2010)
I love both versions for different reasons. The 1969 on is pure nostalgia for me, but I loved the remake too, which I believe is a better movie.

Only two I've seen, can't say I really like either. Seven Samurai is definetely a classic and I respect it for that, but it is horribly out-dated.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #882 on: October 21, 2013, 07:09:34 AM »
Re: top 5. Love Lebowski. Tried watching 7 Samurais but just couldn't get into it. May try again sometime. Want to see GBU. LiT is just okay, might break top 100 for me. Loved the True Grit remake, never seen original

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #883 on: October 24, 2013, 10:12:45 PM »
but it is horribly out-dated.
That's funny, because one of the main reasons the movie is so high on my list is because I think it stood the tests of time. Yeah, the technical aspect of it is outdated, but the general subject and story is still amazing.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #884 on: October 24, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »
The remake of True Grit was outstanding  :tup
The Big Lebowski is godly
Lost In Translation is pretty good
Haven't seen the other two.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #885 on: October 24, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
The only one of those I've seen is Seven Samurai. I don't think it's any more outdated than any other movie from its era. It holds up better than a lot of other movies I've seen from the time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #886 on: October 25, 2013, 02:41:37 AM »
Yeah when I say out-dated I mean technically. The story is still a classic, but the slow and dull 50s-style of it almost forced me too sleep.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #887 on: December 20, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »
Bump or is this thread officially dead?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: December 20, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »
I've been meaning to finish mine - I've got the list, just wanted to re-watch them so I had something meaningful and intelligent to say about them!  Think I've got 7 or 8 to re-watch still.  Maybe I'll get around to it over the holidays.  Whoever is next on the list (theliloutkast) is free to go as far as I'm concerned.  If not, I'll try to get mine re-started and finished.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #889 on: December 20, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
My Top 10:

10. The Godfather: Part II (1974)

Brilliant sequel.

9. Memento (2000)

Exciting movie, interesting concepts.

8. Red Beard (1965)

One of Kurosawa most emotional movies.

7. There Will Be Blood (2007)

Milkshake.

6. Seven Samurai (1954)

Cinematography.

5. Barry Lyndon (1975)

My expectations before seeing it: "Gonna be good but it will not rival Space Odyssey..."

After seeing it: Kubrick, your motherf*cker! This guy can do a movie about anything and it will be a masterpiece  :rollin

4. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Better effects than today's movies  :P

3, 2 and 1 : The Human Condition (1959/61, yeah, three 3-hour movies)

Best thing i ever watched, nothing comes close (also, one of my favorite performances ever by Tatsuya Nakadai).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:33:36 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #890 on: December 23, 2013, 08:48:08 AM »
I've always heard good things about Barry Lyndon but never had the desire to watch it for some reason.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #891 on: December 23, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
Barry Lyndon is amazing! Definitely watch it :) just do it

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #892 on: December 23, 2013, 01:12:32 PM »
The funny thing is that i watched Barry Lyndon just after Space Odyssey and was not expecting something so fantastic  :D
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #893 on: December 25, 2013, 03:33:48 AM »
I can look into restarting this after Christmas is over. To be honest, I kind of forgot about this thread when people stopped posting in it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #894 on: October 04, 2019, 01:08:11 PM »
Bump.

haha... beat ya.

I'd love to finish my list of sometime in the near future.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #895 on: October 04, 2019, 01:23:46 PM »
I think I have figured out my top 20 *David Lee Roth voice* for shore! I can go whenever, unless Chad wants to finish first. :neverusethis:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: October 04, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
I think I have figured out my top 20 *David Lee Roth voice* for shore! I can go whenever, unless Chad wants to finish first. :neverusethis:

I'm sure you'll be faster, you go ahead and start.  I've got another list to finish first.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #897 on: October 04, 2019, 10:59:43 PM »
My personal top 10:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Taxi Driver
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Paris, Texas
5. 2001
6. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
7. Jurassic Park
8. Halloween (1978)
9. Alien
10. Terminator

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: October 04, 2019, 11:23:30 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: November 22, 2019, 10:05:48 AM »
Okay I finally figured out my top 20. I had to really focus on what I personally love as opposed to what is critically acclaimed, and there are a few of those on here, and not really many deep cuts, but they're the 20 films I most enjoy. Really I just thought about the films I've watched the most, or can still watch from start to finish and enjoy, so those are the two most important factors in determining my list. I'll have #20 posted tonight.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: November 22, 2019, 10:43:04 AM »
Giggity

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: November 27, 2019, 02:12:39 PM »
Okay I'm super late, contrary to what I said in my last post here, but I finally got it. And here we go. I scoured through many lists of "top [x hundred] movies of [insert decade here]" just to be sure, but these are honestly my top 20 favorite films ever so far in my life. Note that I'm not a huge movie buff, and I mostly like comedies, so if anybody's still reading these lists, I'm sure I'll probably ruffle some feathers with what's in here and what's absent, but whatever. Let's go!

Requiem For A Dream

Released on October 27th, 2000
Directed by Darren Aronofsky
Starring Ellen Burstyn, Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, and Marlon Wayans

I'm going to spoil some things that happen in this film. It's a film about drug use, but this film holds so much in it that simply knowing what happens isn't enough to ruin the film. Requiem for a Dream is a film to be experienced, and isn't for the weak of heart.

Based on the 1978 novel "Requiem For A Dream" by Hubert Selby Jr., Requiem For A Dream is a film about four individuals, all addicted to drugs, and their ever-growing desparation from drug use. It is dark, it is bleak, it is tragic. It is not a film to watch on a rainy day - or is it actually the perfect film to watch during a storm?

The film starts off as bright as it will ever get. Harry Goldfarb, played by Jared Leto, is a heroin addict, and he sells it, along with his friend Tyrone (Marlon Wayans) and girlfriend Marion (Jennifer Connelly), because they aspire for greater things in life. One of them is that Harry and Marion want to open a clothing store, because Marion is an aspiring clothing designer, and Tyrone wants to get out of a bad neighborhood and make something of himself. Harry's mother, Sara, lives at home watching TV all day. Yes, this is the happiest the film gets.

Over the course of this movie, each character descends into a drug-fueled abyss. Sara gets a call that she has been invited to appear on her favorite game show, and a shady doctor prescribes her amphetamines to suppress her appetite, because she is obsessed with fitting into an old dress so she looks good on camera, and the amphetamines make her lose her grip on reality. Harry begins to get sick and his arm gangrenous from shooting up heroin. Marion starts to whore herself out for more money and drugs, and all of this takes its toll on her relationship with Harry. Tyrone is arrested and has to suffer through withdrawal symptoms, racism, and abuse. Much of the film is a slow burn and we get to see montages of these characters doing their thing, doing drugs and suffering the symptoms drug addicts tend to have. One of the most heartbreaking things to me is watching Sara slowly get more and more delusional and out of touch with the real world, sitting all alone in the dark in her apartment with just her TV, and not understanding what is going on with her son.

The film ends with heartbreaking imagery of all the characters in fetal positions, and a peek into Sara's delusional mind, believing that she's won the game show, and her son comes to congratulate her and hug her. Sara is the only one with *some* kind of happiness in her ending. Harry gets his arm amputated. Marion puts herself through humiliating prostitution and lays around the ruins of her ambitions. Tyrone is sick and abused and left alone to rot in a prison cell.

Requiem for a Dream has amazing editing and some wonderful cinematography, as well as a believable script, excellent casting and performances from the lead actors, and cemented Darren Aronofsky as one of my favorite directors, with a couple more of his films just barely missing the cut for this list, namely Black Swan which also shares a couple similarities with this film, namely the drug use and the lead characters' inability to moderate their behavior and keep their dangerous habits in check. It's an extremely dark film and could even be triggering for anybody who is or was an addict. It's also extremely powerful. Not many films leave a lasting impression on me after seeing them, but Requiem for a Dream has stuck on my brain ever since I saw it 15 years ago. Big favorite of mine, even if I don't watch it too often because it's such a heavy film to digest.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:16:05 PM by Kattelox »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #902 on: November 28, 2019, 05:41:20 AM »
Man, that does sound pretty facing heavy. Never seen it, but I do love me some Jennifer Connelly.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #903 on: November 28, 2019, 05:59:34 AM »
Man, that does sound pretty facing heavy. Never seen it, but I do love me some Jennifer Connelly.

Yeah, I kinda hate Paul Bethany, just a little.

Never heard of this film. Doesn't sound like my cup of heroin.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: November 28, 2019, 08:43:52 AM »
It's not for everybody that's for sure, but I fell in love with Aronofsky's work after one viewing. Highly recommended if you want something heavy.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: November 29, 2019, 07:57:34 AM »
Kill Bill, Vol. 1

Released October 10, 2003
Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Starring Uma Thurman, Lucy Liu, Vivica A. Fox, Michael Madsen, Daryl Hannah, David Carradine,
Sonny Chiba, Julie Dreyfus, Chiaki Kuriyama, Gordon Liu,
and Michael Parks

Kill Bill is an homage to multiple genres of films: martial arts, spaghetti Westerns, Japanese action movies, and even anime. Kill Bill is a two-part story about The Bride (Uma Thurman) chasing down and seeking revenge on a group of assassins who tried to kill her and her unborn child at her wedding. Part 1 begins at the start of her journey and takes her all the way to Japan where she battles the yakuza in the heart of Tokyo, but not before she stops to see a legendary swordmaker named Hattori Hanzo, who makes and gives her the finest sword he has ever made, which is her primary weapon in this tale of revenge.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 isn't necessarily a complex film - there's not a big message it's trying to send, and it's not trying to be deeper than what it is: a fun, obnoxious revenge film with a whole lot of ass-kicking. There are some sick characters in here that serve some very memorable moments: Lucy Liu decapitating one of her own henchmen, Gogo, a 17-year old girl, proving to be an expert with the Meteor Hammer (spiked ball on a long chain she whips around), The Bride slamming a man's head between a door and wall repeatedly. It is brutal, hard to watch at times, yet I can't look away.

The film is split into chapters that get their own title cards, another thing that gives the film its character. The Bride also narrates much of the film, particularly when we get backstories on the people she's hunting down. I really enjoy that, because the dialogue has this uniquely Tarantino flavor to it that you don't get anywhere else. It's witty and dry and almost poetic in a way that's hard to describe without hearing it.

To this day the Crazy 88 battle sequence toward the end is one of the nuttiest action scenes I've ever seen in a western film. The floor is painted red by the end of it and I'm almost exhausted just watching it, but there are some awesome fights in this one, particularly with Gogo, one of Lucy Liu's character's top fighters. Also, the anime sequences are awesome. Top notch, high quality animation, with blood sprays that make the ones in the real life portions of the film look tame by comparison. I really can't recommend Kill Bill enough to someone who's looking for a quirky over-the-top action film with some amazing editing and a killer soundtrack.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: November 29, 2019, 08:01:31 AM »
I can get behind your love of Kill Bill vol. 1. Good choice.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #907 on: November 29, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
Kill Bill Vol. 1 isn't necessarily a complex film - there's not a big message it's trying to send, and it's not trying to be deeper than what it is: a fun, obnoxious revenge film with a whole lot of ass-kicking.

Bolded the keyword that describes this film  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: November 29, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »
Shockingly, I've never seen the Kill Bill movies.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: November 29, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »
What's your stance on action movies/Tarantino, Chad? I'm NOT a Tarantino fan by and large, and I don't often watch action movies (they largely bore me to tears) but the Kill Bills are good old fun and a thrill to watch even the third or fourth time. Check 'em out!