Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 76848 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: jingle.boy (Page 23)
« Reply #840 on: September 01, 2013, 06:20:48 AM »
I'd like to be added to the list too!

:tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #841 on: September 02, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
#16 – Team America:World Polce (2004)

Ahh.... the source of my avatar.  This is easily the raunchiest movie I’ve ever seen.  I remember my boss telling me about it back when it first came out on video, and it being in the old Thunderbirds style – bad puppeteering (you can still see the strings).  But the puppets are simply a means to an end – shock value comedy to the extreme.  The story is so ludicrous, the voice-acting is elementary school quality, and to say the dialogue is profane would be the understatement of the century.  South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone take their craft to the big screen – and it’s kinda amazing I liked this movie so much, as I really can’t stand South Park (Blame Canada!).  There are so many moments that had me in tears I was laughing so hard, but at the end of it, still said to myself “What the fuck did I just watch!?!?!”

Memorable Quotes (no way I can list just one)
“I'll drill two holes through your dick so that when you pee it shoots out in all different directions”
“Let me explain to you the kind of man Gary is. He's a man who knows that when you put another man's cock in your mouth, you make a pact. A bond that cannot be broken. He's a man so dedicated that he will get down on his knees and put that cock right in his mouth.”
“Jesus this is a nice limo” “Yes it is, now suck my cock”

And this just basically sums up the entire movie.
“We're dicks! We're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the Film Actors Guild are pussies. And Kim Jong Il is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. But sometimes, pussies can be so full of shit that they become assholes themselves... because pussies are an inch and half away from ass holes. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!”

Oh, and America: Fuck Yeah!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #842 on: September 02, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »
Now this one I've seen. Awesome movie, one of the absolute best comedies I have ever seen.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #843 on: September 02, 2013, 08:45:55 PM »
I've still yet to have seen a single movie on this list. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: September 02, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
I've still yet to have seen a single movie on this list. :lol

:sadpanda:

It's probably going to be at least a few more entries before we do get to something in your memory banks.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: September 08, 2013, 06:02:19 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates... crazy week at work.  Will drop two here, and try to hammer out a few more so I'm not doing this on the fly.

#15 – Rudy (1993)

There are 2 movies where it is perfectly acceptable for a man to cry.  The true story of Daniel Ruettiger is one of them.  Long before he was Samwise Gamgee, Sean Astin was “Rudy” - a kid who grew up as the son of a steel-mill foreman (Ned Beatty) in a blue-collar town; who always dreamed to play football for Notre Dame.  And after the death of his childhood friend, he was determined... no committed to make it happen.  Entered college in his 20s, and as is said later in the film by Charles S. Dutton “Your five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin' and hardly have a spec of athletic ability”.  And he wasn’t the brightest kid either.  But, he got people to believe in him the way he believed in himself.  And that’s the real story here... belief in yourself, and if you put forth the effort – day in and day out – others will do for you as well.  This is a story of overcoming monumental odds, doing the seemingly impossible, and achieving exactly what you’re aiming for.

Spoilers:
The tears start building when every single player gives up their jersey for Rudy, then he leads them out on the field, and the closing scenes, when the whole stadium is chanting his name, and he gets the sack and is carried off the field.... you can’t help but be on top of the world yourself – for Rudy.

Memorable quote – “Are you ready for this?”  “I’ve been ready my whole life”
Memorable scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27D4k3dCXPg

#14 – Dead Poet’s Society (1989)

I saw this movie in the theatres back in ’89, and cried in the theatre.  At first I was like “why the fuck is Mork in a dramatic role?”  But man, this established Robin Williams as more than a comedic genius. He’s an acting genius.  I’m sure everyone here knows this movie, as it’s the source of a lot of the inspiration for A Change of Seasons – “Carpe Diem” comes from this movie, along with the sample at 8:10. 

The movie is about a group of boys attending prep school in 1959, and the professors are all dryer than a popcorn fart.  However, one professor – Michael Keating (Robin Williams) – stood above all others.  Through poetry, Keating ushered these 17 year old boys into manhood, teaching them REAL life lessons valid in any era.  He inspired passion, desire, drive, free thinking ... when the boys had never been given the right by the school or their parents to have any of those.  Yet unfortunately, the school and their parents were unprepared to follow them for the ride, and ultimately, there are tragic consequences when they try to snap the boys back to their ‘place’ in life.  The over-bearing and crotchety school administration refuses to allow the boys to blossom, forcing them into a mould of what they believe is best.  The final scene will always bring a tear to my eye, demonstrating that one man can have a monumental impact on one’s life.

Every teenager here at DTF needs to see this movie if they haven’t already.

Memorable quote – “For the first time in my life, I know what I want to do; and for the first time, I’M GONNA DO IT!!”
Memorable scene - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8co7G1Ud3os (skip to 2:20 for the truly memorable part).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #846 on: September 08, 2013, 07:19:36 AM »
Okay, now we're back to the movies I haven't seen again.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: September 08, 2013, 10:01:26 AM »

You're shitting me!  You've never seen Dead Poets Society?  I thought every DT fan has!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #848 on: September 08, 2013, 11:03:16 AM »
I've seen DPS, although not because of DT. Great movie :tup

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #849 on: September 08, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »

You're shitting me!  You've never seen Dead Poets Society?  I thought every DT fan has!

Haha no, didn't even know it had some connection to DT?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: September 08, 2013, 03:47:54 PM »

Haha no, didn't even know it had some connection to DT?

:youfail:  Read my commentary on Dead Poets Society. Then go watch the movie.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #851 on: September 08, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »
DPS is amazing, nice addition!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #852 on: September 08, 2013, 07:04:02 PM »
The last 3 movies are a must to own.

Also  MATT DAMON..........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #853 on: September 08, 2013, 11:36:35 PM »
#15 – Rudy (1993)

#14 – Dead Poet’s Society (1989)

they're no Best of the Best or anything, but they're not bad.  :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #854 on: September 09, 2013, 02:34:36 AM »
Read my commentary on Dead Poets Society. Then go watch the movie.

Ah, sorry, when it's a movie I haven't seen I only dare to skim the write-up because I don't want anything to be spoiled when I see the movie later on. But I saw now that you write "spoilers" if there are any.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: September 09, 2013, 05:33:06 AM »
The only movie I've seen so far is Last Boys Scout, and it's killer.

I've never seen Dead Poets Society, and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: September 15, 2013, 05:18:16 AM »
Well, Jesus... thank god I saved this from going to page 3.  Sorry for the delay folks, more on that below.  For now:

#13 – Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

My only entry from the 70s... but it is an absolute timeless classic.  In true Monty Python form, it’s really a collection of loosely connected skits that feature King Arthur and his quest (along with the Knights of the Round Table) for the Holy Grail.  I’m really not sure how to describe this one.  The themes of the skits just come so far from left field sometimes, the first response is usually “what the hell??”, followed by utter laughter.  Monty Python is like a good wine... it’s best enjoyed on the second sip, or in this case, viewing.  It only gets better each and every time you watch it.  The ending however, is just way too bizarre, kinda leaves the moving on a deflating note, rather than a glorious conclusion.  BlackInk, if you say you haven’t seen this, you are a horrible, terrible person.  I have two sound bites on my computer from this movie (“Message for you sir” for email, and “Go away or I shall taunt you a second time” for shutting down).

Bring out your dead, European and African swallows, flesh wounds, “NI!”, Brave Sir Robin running away, shrubbery, and a ferocious rabbit.  What more could you ask for in a movie?

Memorable Quote (only one!?!?  Go to the IMDB page, and the ‘quotes’ page is pretty much the entire script!):  “I’m not dead yet”.
Memorable Scene:  there’s sooooo many, but this is my favorite - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSo0duY7-9s

As for the holdup, work has turned out to be busy as shit the last month, and thus I haven't gotten a chance to 're-watch' many of the remaining movies.  I'm going to be traveling 3 of the next four weeks which means two things... I'm not going to be able to be on DTF much, and I'll be able to re-watch most/all of them on my flights.  I don't want to be a holdup on this, so if Toro wants to step in, I'll finish my list when he's done (assuming he doesn't fire them off in a couple of weeks).  I'll PM him.  Otherwise, I'm gonna be lucky to get one or two updates a week.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: September 15, 2013, 05:19:51 AM »
Never could get into Monty Python. Wasn't my kind of humor at all.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #858 on: September 15, 2013, 05:20:35 AM »
I can't tell you how many times I've played this movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #859 on: September 15, 2013, 05:43:07 AM »

Likewise. I haven't seen the Holy Grail (which makes 8/8 so far that I haven't seen, I do believe!), but the other Monty Python stuff I've seen wasn't funny at all. I didn't find the linked scene at all funny either. :dunno:

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #860 on: September 15, 2013, 05:44:43 AM »
Yeah same here.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: September 15, 2013, 05:49:07 AM »
Must be an Aussie thing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: September 15, 2013, 05:50:09 AM »
The TV show was very hit and miss as were the films but they did have enough classic moments to make up for it & The Holy Grail is pretty much perfect.

Better than life Of Brian & The Meaning of Life for definite.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #863 on: September 15, 2013, 11:25:06 PM »
So I'm gonna star my top 20 with jinlge.boy's blessing.

I'm not gonna do much write ups because I'm kind of busy too, so this is gonna be short but here we go:

20.- Billy Elliot(2000)
I love the soundtrack, the Billy/Dad releationship always gets me, and that ending is perfect.

19.- Chasing Amy(1997)
I still believe Kevin Smith wrote this movie in a big meta way. He doesn't fool me, he had his own Amy and then he lost her so he did a movie.
It's funny, it's sad and it's my favorite Kevin Smith movie.

18.- Children Of Men(2006)
DAT STAIRCASE SCENE.

17.- Mononoke Hime(1997)
Beautiful movie. The animation is incredible. The action scenes are breathtaking and this fucking thing is the creepiest thing I have ever seen:

16.- Full Metal Jacket(1987)
For being such a dark movie, it sure as hell it's quotable as fuck.
The bootcamp scene alone is a perfect 10/10, the second half is not quite as good, but, it's still worth it.
Also this is the only Kubrick movie you'll see in my list.

I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #864 on: September 16, 2013, 03:56:19 AM »
Only seen Children of Men and Full Metal Jacket, both are totally worthy of a top 20 spot.

BlackInk, if you say you haven’t seen this, you are a horrible, terrible person.

Haha, lucky for me that I have seen this movie then! It is absolutely amazing and one of my favorite comedies of all time. I think Life of Brian is a little better. But they're both great.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #865 on: September 17, 2013, 05:10:58 AM »

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #866 on: September 17, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »
Children of Men is a great movie. Michael Caine cracks me up in this movie with his "Strawberry Cough". But on the serious side it's really quite gripping too, especially the end.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #867 on: September 18, 2013, 04:18:23 AM »
The Holy Grail is fucking brilliant!

And Full Metal Jacket is a favourite of mine too :D
Squ

Offline toro

• wazzup
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)
« Reply #868 on: September 20, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »
Next batch guys:

15.- In Bruges (2008)

This is one of the most quotable movies ever, it amazing how a movie can be so funny and dark at the same time.
I just love this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PN6xemdjik

14.- A Bronx Tale (1993)

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent."
God I love this movie, even if it is a little bit too much like a Scorsese movie.
I love the father/son releationship, this movie hits me everytime I see it.

13.- Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

It's sweet, funny, sad, depressing, uplifting and a lot more. A movie that can be all those things is a great movie in my book.

12.- Collateral (2004)

This movie has the best Tom Cruise performance.
The soundtrack and editing are top tier, and the writing is even better, even if the ending is kind of obvious in hindsight.
Also, the bad guy won.

11.- Casino

It's better than Goodfellas.
COME AT ME BROS!

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #869 on: September 20, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »
Only seen Little Miss Sunshine. It was really depressing, but I actually liked it, perhaps not this much, but it was good.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #870 on: October 03, 2013, 01:07:50 PM »
Jesus christ this thread is death.
I'm gonna necro bumb it.

10.- Ratatouille (2004)

Pixar has an incredible track record, but this one is my favorite.
I love cooking even tho I have no interest on becoming a chef and people always ask me why I like this movie so much because I'm not studying gastronomy, but I think this movie speaks about the love for art or creating things.
And the soundtrack is perfect.

9.- Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight
I know having 3 movies bundleup together is cheating but IDGAF.
The story of Celine and Jesse is great, each movie has a different atmosphere, and the writing is great.
Before Sunrise is one of the most romantic things you will ever see and Before Midnight is as real as it gets.
One of the best trilogies ever.

8.- Almos Famous (2000)
The first time you fell in love with a shitty band made into a movie.
I can't really explain why I like this movie so much, but I just like it. A lot.

7.- Cinema Paradiso
Another movie about loving stuff.
This movie is a love letter to cinema, everything about it it's about the love for your craft.
Ennio Morricone's score is so beautiful it makes me want to cry.
And avoid watching the director's cut at all cost, because it takes everything away from the ending montage.

6.- City of God
Ze Pequeño is the most evil character to ever be put into a movie. Nuff said.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #871 on: October 03, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
Ratatouille is a good pixar movie, but number 10? That's--- impressive?

My dad keeps saying I should watch City of God with him, and I want to, and I will, it just feels like it's going to be depressing and I'm not in that mood right now. But I'm sure I'll like it when I finally watch it.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #872 on: October 03, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »
My dad keeps saying I should watch City of God with him, and I want to, and I will, it just feels like it's going to be depressing and I'm not in that mood right now. But I'm sure I'll like it when I finally watch it.
City of God is not exactly depressing. It's just hard to watch because some gruesome stuff happens.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #873 on: October 03, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »
Oh God yes, that guy is one evil mofo

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #874 on: October 03, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »
City of God is excellent.  It's even more awesome for including Tower of Power's "So Very Hard To Go" in the soundtrack.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.