Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 77217 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: masterthes (Page 20)
« Reply #805 on: August 15, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
Only seen the Meaning of Life out of those. It's great, but certainly not the best of the Monty Python movies.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #806 on: August 15, 2013, 05:56:13 PM »
Only seen the Meaning of Life out of those. It's great, but certainly not the best of the Monty Python movies.

You're right, it isn't.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #807 on: August 17, 2013, 03:25:19 AM »
I'd like to be added to the list :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: August 17, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »
Few more honorable mentions:

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.  Every high school kid from my generation wanted to be Ferris.  The dude oozed cool.  Plus, Sloane.  ‘nuff said.

Diggstown.  Watched this movie over and over in first year university.  Seemed like it was always on in the common room.  Great rapport between James Woods and Louis Gossett Jr.  Never try to hustle a Hustler;  Actually, never con a con-man, especially one who's better than you are.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles.  Another infinitely quotable movie.  The chemistry between Candy and Martin is uncanny.  Pillows, discarded car rental agreements, and going the wrong way (“how does he know which way we’re going?”).  Brilliant comedy.

Car rental counter  Definitely NSFW

Full list to start tomorrow.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #809 on: August 17, 2013, 11:15:46 AM »
What a great pick for an honorable mention in Diggstown.  Man do I love the drama and comedy in that movie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #810 on: August 17, 2013, 02:31:02 PM »
Not seen a single one of those.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: August 20, 2013, 05:39:10 AM »
First, couple of guidelines to set the stage for the list about to come.  I haven’t watched too many “classic” movies (ie, pre 1970s).  I know of them, I tip my hat to the importance of them, I just haven’t watched them.  I mean to, but there’s just not a lot of disposable time on my hands.  A lot of my movie watching was done in the 90s.  Between finishing High School, attending Uni, being single and childless for a few years (I was married in ’99; kids born in ‘00), I had a lot of disposable time to watch movies.  Unsurprising, the list is dominated by movies from that decade.  Also, I decided that I would NOT include any movies that are multi-part sequels/trilogies – I mean, how do you chose just one from the LOTR or Die Hard movies?).  I’ll do that list (I’ve got 20 of them) later down the line when everyone else has had their turn.

And with that... here we go.

#20 - The Last Boyscout (1991)

Bruce Willis had just come off the second Die Hard movie, so he’d really established himself as a leading action star.  Daymon Wayans though?  WTF??  Homey the Clown, why were you playing co-lead in an action movie?  But suck-me-sideways, it worked.  Wayans as Jimmy Dix, an “elite” quarterback kicked out of the NFL for drug use and then caught up in a corruption scandal, with Willis as Joe Hallenback, a down-and-out ex-Secret Service agent that always does the right thing.  The chemistry between the two of them was really good.  Wayans gave the performance of a lifetime – expertly combining a nice amount of comic relief in the role.  Who knew he could be a damn fine actor in this capacity.  He convincingly plays this wannabe tough guy.  22 years later, the movie has a bit of age on it, but it would still hold up today.

Oh, add in Halle Barry (nothing more than a cameo really) as a stripper in a thong and tittie tassels.  Probably a body double though.  Meh, who cares.

Memorable scene/quote:  Jimmy Dix - "Feels like I've been rode hard and put away wet".

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #812 on: August 20, 2013, 06:28:54 AM »
Memorable scene/quote:  Jimmy Dix - "Feels like I've been rode hard and put away wet".
You could have put almost any line from this movie here. Great pick :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: August 20, 2013, 06:43:45 AM »
Oh yeah...

I spilled my warm cup of piss

The sky is blue, water is wet, women have secrets.

Where you goin?
To the bathroom, okay. You wanna come? The doc said I shouldn't lift anything heavy.

Sooooo many.  These two were gold together.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: jingle.boy (Page 23)
« Reply #814 on: August 20, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
Haven't seen this one either. Feels like your list are going to be a lot of new titles for me, nice.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: August 22, 2013, 05:28:20 AM »
#19 – Tommy Boy (1995)

The first of many movies to come from 1995 (what a great year for movies), this is the first of two movies where SNL cast-mates Spade and Farley made the leap to the big-screen.  The chemistry between these two was off-the-charts.  Premise of the movie is that a down-on-his-luck kid that can’t get a break; Dad dies, and evil stepmom (Bo Derek) and boyfriend (Rob Lowe) try to swindle Dad’s company from him if Tommy doesn’t sell enough of the new products to save the company.  So, Spade and Farley go on a sales road trip.
Spade and Farley are absolute gold together.  The catch phrases that came from this movie are endless.  Spade’s facial reactions are priceless, usually playing the deadpan card.  You had to know that Farley ad-libbed his way through about ˝ of his lines, and likely had his co-stars struggling to keep a straight face.  Sadly, Farley was taken from us FAR too soon. 

Memorable scene - desktop demo
Memorable quote - "But why do they put a guarantee on the box?"
                                Tommy: "Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit"
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:38:30 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #816 on: August 22, 2013, 08:02:40 AM »
The scene in the diner, after Spade smacks him in the face, cracks me up.  I love his "sale" and how he tears up the bread.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #817 on: August 22, 2013, 08:04:19 AM »
Once again, haven't even heard of this one.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: August 22, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »
The scene in the diner, after Spade smacks him in the face, cracks me up.  I love his "sale" and how he tears up the bread.

I ALMOST put that as the 'memorable scene', even had the YT link copied. In the end, the one I did link preceded and was the source of the diner scene.

So many good scenes.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #819 on: August 22, 2013, 08:34:04 AM »
Does this suit make me look fat?

No, your face does.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #820 on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:20 AM »
I haven't seen a single movie thus far on the list, including the honorable mentions.

I feel inadequate
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: August 22, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »
I haven't seen a single movie thus far on the list, including the honorable mentions.

I feel inadequate

So you should!  :jets:

If you haven't seen any of these, I can pretty much guarantee it wont be for a few more selections before we get to something you have seen.  I did try to throw in a few relatively unheralded and unconventional choices - because it would get kinda boring to see the same movies over-and-over-and-over-and-over again on these lists.  Stay tuned though, there are plenty of recognizable flicks to come. 

Although, I am kinda surprised... Planes/Trains is easily a Tier 1 comedy of all time.  Same on A Few Good Men (but a drama obviously).  And go watch The Meaning of Life.  Required Monty Python material right there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #822 on: August 22, 2013, 10:39:08 AM »
I haven't seen any of these either. Actually, I think I once saw The Meaning Of life, because I mistakenly thought it was supposed to be a comedy movie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: August 22, 2013, 11:28:49 AM »
I haven't seen any of these either. Actually, I think I once saw The Meaning Of life, because I mistakenly thought it was supposed to be a comedy movie.

Oh come on now. All the angels in heaven are topless but with fake plastic boobs and every day is Christmas at a Las Vegas style variety show! What could be funnier than that?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #824 on: August 22, 2013, 11:35:52 AM »

Oh come on now. All the angels in heaven are topless but with fake plastic boobs and every day is Christmas at a Las Vegas style variety show! What could be funnier than that?

By British humour standards, probably only men cross dressing as women. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #825 on: August 22, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »
Manty Python are geniuses and I don't think anyone will ever be funny in that way as good as they were ever again.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #826 on: August 22, 2013, 02:41:04 PM »
Tommy Boy is great. Too bad Chris Farley didn't take better care of himself. Now we have to deal with Kevin James

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #827 on: August 22, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »

I feel inadequate

So you should!  :jets:

If you haven't seen any of these, I can pretty much guarantee it wont be for a few more selections before we get to something you have seen.  I did try to throw in a few relatively unheralded and unconventional choices - because it would get kinda boring to see the same movies over-and-over-and-over-and-over again on these lists.  Stay tuned though, there are plenty of recognizable flicks to come. 

Although, I am kinda surprised... Planes/Trains is easily a Tier 1 comedy of all time.  Same on A Few Good Men (but a drama obviously).  And go watch The Meaning of Life.  Required Monty Python material right there.

A Few Good Men is amazing, though it missed a great opportunity.  It should've ended with Cruise repeating the "...so this is what the inside of a courtroom looks like."  Such an incredible cast in that one.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: August 25, 2013, 07:45:20 AM »
#18 – 2 Days in the Valley (1996)

This movie reminds me (to some extent) of Pulp Fiction – it’s a collection of stories, that all come together in the end.  Great cast – James Spader, Eric Stoltz, Danny Aiello, Teri Hatcher, Charlize Theron (mmmm we get her nekid in this one!), and Jeff Daniels.
Spader plays an intellectual psychopath, pulling the strings on many of the other characters in a murder-for-hire plot.  Aiello is a rundown, past-his-prime thug/hitman; Daniels as an angry seasoned cop, with Stoltz as his up-and-coming young whipper-snapper with way too much enthusiasm.  The net of it though is that this movie is Spader’s.  He owns the screen.  Coming off the heels of Crash (which I have yet to see, but have heard he’s brilliant in that too), it really established him as a top-notch actor.  Sure, maybe he doesn’t have the star/drawing power of most A-list’rs, but he’s absolutely brilliant.  I’m not gonna give away all of the sub-plots, but this is a fun one to watch... lots of comedic moments woven into this crime-thriller.

Memorable scene/quote – “I may be an asshole, but I've worked hard to become one.”

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #829 on: August 25, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
Once again, haven't heard of it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: August 25, 2013, 03:31:37 PM »
Chad, though I've seen every movie so far, most would not make my top 20 but I like them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: August 25, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »

Well, I appreciate you following none-the-less.

King... I hear ya.  A few of the next ones will be a little 'out there' as well, but then into some more predictable titles one might expect to see in a Top 20 list.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #832 on: August 26, 2013, 01:21:37 AM »

Well, I appreciate you following none-the-less.

Of course, always interesting to get introduced to some new stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: August 31, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »
#17 – Searching for Bobby Fisher (1993)

This is based on the true story 7 year old chess prodigy, Josh Waitzkin.  The movie chronicles a father (Joe Mantegna) that pushes his son to be the best he can; becomes a 'Chess Father' obsessing for his son to be all that he can be as "the best" finally realizing that he's pushed him too far, and hasn’t allowed him to just be a 7 year old kid – which Mom (Joan Allen) desperately wants him to be.  Ben Kingsley plays the professional chess teacher, while Lawrence Fishbourne plays Vinnie, a street chess player that Josh almost idolizes.  Both have opposite views as to how to best propel Josh to greatness – Kingsley trying to make him tough; Fishbourne trying to help him have fun.  The movie features constant interludes with Max Pomerac (who plays Josh) providing a narrative about the real Bobby Fisher’s life and legacy.  It’s a feel good story, and Josh goes through the ups and downs of being a true prodigy, hating the “sport” and what it's turning him into, until he finally embraces himself and all that he can be as a chess champion.
I absolutely love the cast – Kingsley is brilliant in everything he does.  More to come with him later.  Much later

Memorable scene/quote - You've lost, you just don't know it yet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: August 31, 2013, 08:38:10 AM »
Excellent pic Chad.  A very good movie.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #835 on: August 31, 2013, 09:07:41 AM »
Agreed. Really liked this movie when it came out

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #836 on: August 31, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »
Guess what? Haven't heard of it..

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #837 on: August 31, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
Yay! The first one I've seen. A good movie, too  :tup :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #838 on: August 31, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
I love that movie.  And it is so awesome when he says that quote.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #839 on: September 01, 2013, 12:04:19 AM »
I'd like to be added to the list too!
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.