Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 77161 times)

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: masterthes (Page 20)
« Reply #770 on: August 07, 2013, 06:26:11 PM »
I've always sorted my "real" friends from random associates depending on if the like/get Holy Grail.  People seem to either love it or hate it.

I have loved it since age 12 and know it by heart.  The "intermission theme" is the ringtone on my phone!   :metal
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #771 on: August 07, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »
Epic movie is epic.  That is all that needs to be said
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #772 on: August 07, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »
I fucking love The Holy Grail  :metal
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #773 on: August 08, 2013, 01:42:50 AM »
Holy Grail is awesome. Never fails to make me laugh.

Although... What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

:eek

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #774 on: August 08, 2013, 01:55:06 AM »
Oh yes, the holy grail! Fantastic! :D
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline sueño

« Reply #775 on: August 08, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »
Holy Grail is awesome. Never fails to make me laugh.

Although... What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

:eek

European or African?  :justjen
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline masterthes

« Reply #776 on: August 08, 2013, 08:23:36 AM »
What is your favorite color?

Offline sueño

« Reply #777 on: August 08, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »
Blue!  I mean....AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #778 on: August 08, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
I watched it again this morning, it's delicious. Perfect thing to watch when you're dead tired early in the morning!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline masterthes

« Reply #779 on: August 08, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
5. Back To The Future - The start of one of the best trilogies ever (I don't care what you might say, I love Part III). This is just an all around fun movie. Michael J. Fox was one of my favorite actors in the 80's, and Christopher Lloyd is so lovably whacky as Doc Brown (the only difference between his character here and in Taxi was really just a higher IQ). Lea Thompson is so pretty as Lorraine, and Crispin Glover is well...Crispin Glover. Everything about this movie is simply perfect for me, and that score! Always gives me the chills when I hear that main theme. The only musical score that gives me even more goosebumps is...well, let's save that for tomorrow, shall we?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #780 on: August 08, 2013, 04:17:24 PM »
Back to the Future is amazing, all three parts.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #781 on: August 08, 2013, 06:08:20 PM »
Not to mention a very underrated performance, especially in the sequels, by Thomas Wilson, who played Biff.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #782 on: August 08, 2013, 10:43:59 PM »
Back to the Future is amazing, all three parts.

This! I love the score too. With every single note, you know exactly what movie it's from. Alan Silvestri did an amazing job of creating a distinctive tone and style for the music, and it's as iconic as the movies are.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #783 on: August 08, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
the modern day (1985) scenes in Doc's place are awesome.  The Rube Goldberg breakfast maker and dog feeder were great as well as the scene where Marty blows out the giant speaker.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #784 on: August 09, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
4. The Empire Strikes Back - Start that beautiful orchestra and get that story slide going. The Empire Strikes Back is probably the greatest sequel ever (yes, even better than the second Godfather). Let's just list all the things that make this film great: John Williams' score, the battle at Hoth, Yoda, Leia and Han falling in love, Vader being more of a badass then he was the first time, Lando, Boba Fett, possibly the best lightsaber duel in the history of EVER, and the confession of all confessions. I wish I was older and at the movie theater when it first came out so I could see the audience reactions. Who could have seen that coming?

Offline sueño

« Reply #785 on: August 09, 2013, 04:14:23 PM »
4. The Empire Strikes Back - Start that beautiful orchestra and get that story slide going. The Empire Strikes Back is probably the greatest sequel ever (yes, even better than the second Godfather). Let's just list all the things that make this film great: John Williams' score, the battle at Hoth, Yoda, Leia and Han falling in love, Vader being more of a badass then he was the first time, Lando, Boba Fett, possibly the best lightsaber duel in the history of EVER, and the confession of all confessions. I wish I was older and at the movie theater when it first came out so I could see the audience reactions. Who could have seen that coming?

It was a collective, "WHATTTT???!!!???"  :omg:  :omg:  :o :o in my theatre!  :D  And the talk of my freshman homeroom (and every other room) after that weekend.

Fan-stinkin'-tastic!!!    :hefdaddy  It's my favorite of all the Star Wars films.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #786 on: August 09, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
TESB is brilliant. My fav Star Wars film as well. I agree on everything you wrote about it!
Squ

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #787 on: August 09, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
Two really cool movies, Empire is the better one here for me too.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #788 on: August 10, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »
3. The Princess Bride - Don't know how many people will be suprised by tonight's pick. When compiling this list, I always had the clearest intention of including it. I just slightly suprised myself that it was this high up there. Here's a shocker for you though, I never saw this movie until my sophmore year in high school after we had read the book in English class (The book is incredible by the way. My favorite required reading in school). I think it just passed me by in the 80's simply by accident, but when I finally saw it, it was love at first sight. It's clearly a more pleasant experience than the book (as perfect as the movie is, I would be interested if they would remake it as a more faithful adaptation to the book). The casting is simply perfect. I always have loved Cary Elwes dry sense of humor. Robin Wright makes a stunning debut as Buttercup. Mandy Patinkin is awesome as Inigo. When he finally delivers those iconic lines to Count Rugen at the end of the movie, you want to stand up and cheer. Of course there's Andre the Giant as the lovable Fizzik. Christopher Guest is absolutely malicious as Rugen and Chris Sarandon does a great job as the overly confident Humperdink, and Wallace Shawn, Billy Crystal, and Carol Kane make the most of their cameos.

The highlight for the film for me will always be the duel between Wesley and Inigo. Arguably the greatest swordfight in cinema history

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #789 on: August 11, 2013, 06:03:51 AM »
Another one I haven't seen unfortunately.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: August 11, 2013, 06:25:44 AM »
Fantastic movie.  Haven't seen it in probably 25 years since it was first out as a rental.  Can't remember if I saw it in the theaters or not.  Patinkin is absolutely brilliant.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #791 on: August 11, 2013, 04:07:18 PM »
2. The Lord of the Rings - Yep, it's my list and I'm considering it as one long 10 hour spectacle of awesome (with the extended versions combined, it's probably more like 12). I absolutely adore these movies and I think the first two should've won Best Picture as well (I'll allow A Beautiful Mind I guess winning over Fellowship, but to tell me Chicago was better than Two Towers?!). I consider Lord of the Rings to be one of my favorite books of all time, and actually I only started reading it when I heard it was being made into a movie, and reading it I seriously thought there was no way it could be done. It was too ambitious, but I guess if you allow yourself a whole 10 years devoted to something, then I guess anything is possible. I really don't know what to add to this because almost everybody has had these films on their lists, except to say I can't wait for the second part of The Hobbit, and Ian McKellen got screwed for best Supporting Actor (Gandalf is definitely top 5 in my favorite literary character list)

So what on Earth is at number one? Where can it go from here? I'll tell you in 24 hours

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: August 11, 2013, 05:40:41 PM »
Holy crap you're moving fast.  Gotta really start watching my list now.

Great movies.  They would come close to the top of my list too.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #793 on: August 11, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
Hey guys, i'm back and spent a few weeks trying to get settled and situated in beautiful southern California!

masterthes, nice list! And I love that you have Young Frankenstein in your selections Absolutely one of the greatest comedies. I think I'll have A Shot In The Dark and Ghostbusters right up there with that film. I like Monty Python and the Holy Grail a lot, but I actually am quite more fond of Life of Brian as far as those Monty Python movies go.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #794 on: August 11, 2013, 11:28:15 PM »
Just checking in, having been following too closely. LOTR as one combined pick, gotta be number 1!

Also,

The Dark Knight would probably make my top 5...

...of the most overrated movies ever.  Which is a shame because it's actually good.

speaks the truth.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #795 on: August 12, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »
I get the "Lord of the Rings is one long movie" thing, I know several people who thinks that as well. If I saw it like that it would be my number one without doubt. Awesome movies all three.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #796 on: August 12, 2013, 03:14:56 AM »
Lord of the Rings is definitely not one movie.  That's cheating!
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: August 12, 2013, 06:21:19 AM »
Lord of the Rings is definitely not one movie.  That's cheating!

His list; his rules.  Doesn't bother me.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #798 on: August 12, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »
A brief recap before the unveiling:

25. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
24. Kill Bill
23. The Exorcist
22. The Departed
21. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
20. Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi
19. The Matrix
18. Pulp Fiction
17. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
16. Gladiator
15. Spaceballs
14. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
13. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
12. The Lion King
11. Beauty and the Beast
10. The Dark Knight
9. The Prestige
8. Young Frankenstein
7. Forrest Gump
6. Monty Python and The Holy Grail
5. Back To The Future
4. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
3. The Princess Bride
2. The Lord of the Rings

and the number one movie on masterthes list is none other than....

Offline masterthes

« Reply #799 on: August 12, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
1. The Wizard of Oz - I imagine when Victor Fleming shuffled off this mortal coil he must have felt like one of the luckiest person on Earth. He ended up being the director of two of the most revered classics in cinema history, both in the same year! One of course being Gone With The Wind, the amazing epic movie about the South during the Civil War which wound up winning Best Picture that year, and, if you consider inflated ticket prices, is still considered tyhe highest grossing film of all time. Then you have The Wizard of Oz, the family classic about a girl from Kansas who has an unfortunate encounter with a tornado and gets sent to the land over the rainbow.

I told you at the beginning when I considered my long love affair with motion pictures there were two that stand out in my mind that made me become a genuine fan. One was E.T., and then The Wizard of Oz really cemented it for me (I'm pretty sure The Wizard of Oz came after E.T.) I think Oz had more of an impact on me growing up because it has more a sense of wonder than E.T. has, plus it's a more happier story. Also, after having seen the movie, I would get many books dealing with The Wizard of Oz: the actual book (I have a lovely hardcover edition of The Annotated Wizard of Oz), I have a book on the making of the movie, the spin off Wicked is one of my favorite books of all time (and I adore the musical). "Over the Rainbow" is still my favorite original song from a movie. Of course, it didn't become my favorite movie overnight, The Wicked Witch absolutely terrified me as a child (oddly enough though, I was fine with the monkeys)

So, there you have it. Constructing this list was very tough considering I've probably seen close to 1500 movies so far in my lifetime, so thank you for following and hoped you enjoyed the journey, but just like Dorothy it's time to click my heels and bring this journey home, because after all, there is no place like it 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: August 12, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with that topping anyone's list.  It's probably the first film I ever remember seeing.  Classic beyond classic.

Give me a couple of days, and I'll start my list, starting with the honorable mentions.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #801 on: August 12, 2013, 08:41:09 PM »
I love The Princess Bride too.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #802 on: August 13, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with that topping anyone's list. 

Not at all. Nice choice. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #803 on: August 14, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »
Interesting choice, I know the story but have never seen it though. Does the muppet version count?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: August 15, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »
To save this from dropping to page two, I'm gonna start up with some honorable mentions.  I got six of them to mention.... 3 now; 3 on the weekend, then I'll fire up the real list by the end of the weekend or early next week.

I have the list compiled and ranked, but want to re-watch a couple of them to have an insightful and meaningful writeup.  I've re-watched most of 10-20, and hope to find time to re-watch the top 10 within the next month or so.  My goal is to be done this by the end of September... that's one writeup every couple of days or so.  Hopefully that pace will suffice for everyone.

Fletch – infinitely quotable.  It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the movie front to back, but man I will watch this anytime it’s on the tube.  Gonna fire this one up with jingle.son sometime soon.  I think he's at the right age.

Monty Python and the Meaning of Life.  Just a whole collection of brilliant skits.  If Fletch is infinitely quotable, this is doubly so.  The number of times I watched this in high school, baked out of my f’n mind... probably why I don’t remember all of the movie.   :lol

A Few Good Men.  Quite the ensemble cast.  While the final courtroom scene may be one of the most well known scenes in film history, the laying of the foundation to get to that was done superbly.  This was the first time I’d seen Pollack in a dramatic role, and wow, he was awesome.  Fan for life.