Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 77219 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: masterthes (Page 20)
« Reply #735 on: August 01, 2013, 12:54:03 AM »
Gladiator is amazing, was on my top 20 too  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #736 on: August 01, 2013, 06:08:14 AM »
Gladiator is phenomenal.  Star Trek VI... one of the better movies in the franchise's history.  Kirk and Bones on the prison planet was awesome.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #737 on: August 01, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »
15. Spaceballs - The film that started it all in my appreciation for Mel Brooks. I love just about every single movie he has produced (with the exception of Dracula. The jury is still out on Twelve Chairs). I think it takes a clever mind to spoof something, much less one of the greatest sci-fi movies of all time. While Spaceballs is not my favorite Brooks movie (that's coming later), Spaceballs probably makes me laugh the most out of all of his movies (I certainly like to quote Spaceballs more). Watching this movie always makes me miss John Candy. If he had taken better care of himself, who knows what great stuff he could have given us (yeah, I realize his star was on the downside even before his death, but you never know). I also wish Rick Moranis would make a comeback. Somebody needs to cast him in something. Oh, and speaking about THAT certain movie...

14. Star Wars: A New Hope - I assure you, this was just a funny coincidence that these too got jumbled together on Flickchart, so I just ran with it. I really don't know what to say about this movie that hasn't already been said. It was the start of something beautiful. A revolution in the movie industry. The birth of a billion geeks/nerds. Darth Vader will always be in my top 3 of favorite screen villains. Such a badass. More from the original trilogy later

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #738 on: August 01, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »
I will predict the favorite Brooks film will be Young Frankenstein.   ;D  That's my first exposure to Brooks ( when I was nine).  So funny to me!  :lol  Very quotable.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #739 on: August 02, 2013, 01:27:19 AM »
Haven't seen Spaceballs, and I feel that Episode IV is a bit slow and dull. It's classic for sure and has some cool moments but for me it's second least good Star Wars movie.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #740 on: August 02, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »
13. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - KHAAAAN!!! Once you guys saw I was putting Star Trek movies on here, I'm sure most of you would guess that number 2 would top them all. When you look at this film, it is such an improvement from the very first movie it's not even funny. The story is so much more compelling, sort of like Moby Dick in Space, with Ricardo Montalban as the obsessed Ahab. While I thought Cumberbatch did an okay version of Khan, there is no way anybody is going to top Montalban. And then there's the ending. Probably one of the biggest gut punch moments in modern cinema. I can't imagine what people's reactions were like when this originally ran in theaters. I don't think Spock's death was as shocking as "Luke, I am your father", but it's pretty close. One of my favorite sequels of all time for sure

Being born in the 80's, I felt fortunate that Disney was rereleasing all the classic animated films in theaters so that I could see them on the big screen. Like I stated earlier in the movie thread, with the exception of The Black Cauldron and The Rescuers Down Under, I have seen all of the classic 2D Disney movies. When the renaissance occured starting with Oliver & Company (yeah, I'm saying it started there and not with Little Mermaid), I thought they were some of the best movies I had seen up to that point, and so when thinking up this top 20, I would have been remiss if I hadn't included something from that era

12./11. Beauty and the Beast/The Lion King - But I couldn't decide on just one. Both these movies were the zenith of the modern 2D era in Disney in my view. When it came to the music, I prefer Beauty and the Beast over The Lion King. For me, the real musical highlight in The Lion King for me is the opening. I got goosebumps the first few times they showed "The Circle of Life" as the trailer. It literally took my breath away, and while the rest of the numbers are entertaining, I don't think they match the enjoyability that "Gaston", "Be Our Guest" or "Beauty and the Beast" have (For the record, I prefer "Beauty and the Beast" to "Can You Feel The Love Tonight"). Being the bookworm that I am I have more affection for Belle than I do Simba, but when it comes to the art and the story, The Lion King aces it for me

And so, we come to the top 10. Any predictions?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #741 on: August 02, 2013, 09:30:29 PM »
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! Of course The Wrath of Khan had to top them all. :tup It's been nice to see some Trek movies make this list!

I don't believe I've seen any of the classic Disney movies since I saw them as a kid. Shame on me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: August 02, 2013, 10:05:08 PM »
And so, we come to the top 10. Any predictions?

Gotta think you've got some LOTR in there.  Terminator perhaps.  You clearly are a sci-fi kinda guy.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sueño

« Reply #743 on: August 03, 2013, 01:10:35 AM »
It sounds terrific; i just moved it up in my queue.  checking to see if Amazon Prime has it...

You will NOT be disappointed.

OMG, I was definitely not disappointed!  what the heck!!??!!?   :hefdaddy

Quality caper, kids.   :tup :tup
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #744 on: August 03, 2013, 03:42:16 AM »
The Lion King is great.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #745 on: August 03, 2013, 03:50:58 AM »
Here's me hoping for someone to fill the Vietnam gap that's been there ever since I did my list :corn
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline masterthes

« Reply #746 on: August 03, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »
10. The Dark Knight - So far, definitely my favorite superhero movie (although Superman is still my favorite superhero. Batman right at number 2). I started becoming a fan of the Bat thanks to Tim Burton in 1989, and then I would pretty much catch the animated series on a daily basis. Then Schumaker had to go and ruin evrything and make Batman almost as corny as the 60's TV series. When it was announced that Christopher Nolan was to going to reboot the movie series, I was a bit skeptical, like I'm sure some of you were. Then Batman Begins came out and blew everything that came out before about Batman out of the water, and it was such a breath of fresh air. When it was announced The Dark Knight would have The Joker would be the main villain, I was very excited. The Joker ranks as my favorite comic book villain, and Heath Ledger did such a great job. I wasn't sure if anybody would top Nicholson's performance, but Heath certainly did just that. It was so sad when he passed away. I will always wonder what would have become of him had he stuck around

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #747 on: August 03, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
Absolutely agree that it's the best superhero movie. It's so dark and thought provoking and pretty much a perfect movie all around. Ledger's performance is nothing short of spectacular, and he really makes the joker one of the most interesting movie villains of all time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #748 on: August 03, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »
*puts on flame shield*

I found Batman Begins to be quite boring, and hated TDK. I haven't watched TDKR or any other comic book / super hero movie since. It's clearly just not the genre for me. :lol

But to end on a more positive note, I'll agree that Heath Ledger did a great job with the character of the Joker.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #749 on: August 03, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »
You can lower the flame shield Blob. This is a no judgment zone  :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #750 on: August 04, 2013, 01:52:51 AM »
The Dark Knight would probably make my top 5...

...of the most overrated movies ever.  Which is a shame because it's actually good.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #751 on: August 04, 2013, 02:16:55 AM »
Would love to be added here. I'm a movies addicted, pretty badly tbh :biggrin
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #752 on: August 04, 2013, 03:53:47 AM »
Awesome. My favorite super super hero movie too.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #753 on: August 04, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »
9. The Prestige - I love magic. Ever since I was little, I was interested in anything dealing with it. I remember always watching David Copperfield specials on TV, seeing the local magicians who came into town and trying to figure out how they did their tricks. I was never any good at actually doing magic tricks, but I've always been a fan. I think it comes from this love of the extraordinary that I've always had, that you can appear to bend the laws of physics and make something spectacular occur. The Prestige is definitely my favorite "reality-based" movie dealing with magic. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman have definitely been two of my favorite actors within the last 15 years. Everything about it is so masterly done, and I think Nolan is definitely the master of delivering well done plot twists (M. Night should try to take some lessons from him)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #754 on: August 05, 2013, 02:25:46 AM »
Prestige is awesome. It only just missed out on my top 20.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #755 on: August 05, 2013, 02:55:18 AM »
I think The Prestige is my fav Nolan's movie. Have seen it recently for the fourth time maybe and it still blows my mind.

me on lastfm

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #756 on: August 05, 2013, 08:06:39 AM »
I think The Prestige is my fav Nolan's movie. Have seen it recently for the fourth time maybe and it still blows my mind.

Have you seen Memento? That's Nolan at his best right there.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #757 on: August 05, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »
8. Young Frankenstein - As guessed correctly, Young Frankenstein is indeed my favorite Mel Brooks film. Brooks had such an awesome tandem of actors to work with in the 70's. It's a shame he kept away from them in the 80's. As much as I love Spaceballs, could you imagine what it'd have been if like Harvey Korman or Gene Wilder played Skroob (I thought I heard in the commentary though that Brooks and Wilder had a bit of a falling out) or Madeline Khan did the voice for Dot?
You have to give Brooks credit for always casting great ensembles, and Young Frankenstein tops them all in my view, from Brook veterans like Wilder and Khan, to the beautiful Teri Garr (I would have loved to have a roll in the hay with her back then), to the hysterical Marty Feldman and Cloris Leachman. This movie was Brooks at the zenith of his powers, and as bad as Dracula was, I really wish he would try to give us one last film

Offline sueño

« Reply #758 on: August 05, 2013, 06:33:53 PM »
8. Young Frankenstein - As guessed correctly, Young Frankenstein is indeed my favorite Mel Brooks film. Brooks had such an awesome tandem of actors to work with in the 70's. It's a shame he kept away from them in the 80's. As much as I love Spaceballs, could you imagine what it'd have been if like Harvey Korman or Gene Wilder played Skroob (I thought I heard in the commentary though that Brooks and Wilder had a bit of a falling out) or Madeline Khan did the voice for Dot?
You have to give Brooks credit for always casting great ensembles, and Young Frankenstein tops them all in my view, from Brook veterans like Wilder and Khan, to the beautiful Teri Garr (I would have loved to have a roll in the hay with her back then), to the hysterical Marty Feldman and Cloris Leachman. This movie was Brooks at the zenith of his powers, and as bad as Dracula was, I really wish he would try to give us one last film

Man, I can't even COUNT how many times I've watched this film!!!  It is supreme in every way -- so quotable, so funny, magnificent cast.  It is nothing short of brilliant.  And I LOVE the theme music/overture.  :)    :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup Five thumbs up!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #759 on: August 06, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
Never seen it. Or even heard of it.

Offline sueño

« Reply #760 on: August 06, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
Never seen it. Or even heard of it.

I am sorry for you.  It is brilliant!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #761 on: August 06, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »
Rectify this immediately. Update will be late tonight because it's trivia night, but I'll give you a hint: 90's Best Picture winner

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: August 06, 2013, 04:34:56 PM »
Braveheart

Offline masterthes

« Reply #763 on: August 06, 2013, 09:46:07 PM »
7. Forrest Gump - Favorite movie to come out of the 90's? Yep. I was always a big history buff, plus it had Tom Hanks starring in it, plus it was directed by Robert Zemeckis (why is that important, I wonder?) so I was definitely intrigued by this project. Out of all the films in this list, this one I identify with a lot. A little personal information, growing up I had a physical condition identical to what Forrest had, although it wasn't as major, but the doctors who treated me also misdiagnosed me with a learning disability, so for many years I was placed in the special ed program, so I definitely identify with Forrest's character. I also have a Jenny of my own in my life

Offline sueño

« Reply #764 on: August 06, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »
That is very sweet, masterthes.   :heart

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #765 on: August 07, 2013, 01:15:58 AM »
I think a lot of people have a Jenny. :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #766 on: August 07, 2013, 02:34:52 AM »
Yes, Forrest Gump is amazing. And identifying with Forrest is probably why I love it too.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #767 on: August 07, 2013, 04:32:16 AM »

Have you seen Memento? That's Nolan at his best right there.

Yes I have. You're probably right, the fact The Prestige isn't written by Nolan himself usually gets Memento into another perspective to me. Loved them all by the way.

me on lastfm

Offline sueño

« Reply #768 on: August 07, 2013, 07:15:39 AM »
I think a lot of people have a Jenny. :)

Not nearly enough.  Not me, ever.   :(

Unless you take quite literally from the story, where it's rather an unrequited love til one fine time and space...then ...gone for good.   :'(   That's me all over.

Anyway.  Great movie, Gump is!   :tup

Offline masterthes

« Reply #769 on: August 07, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »
So we go from the very serious, to the very silly

6. Monty Python and the Holy Grail - If you want to talk about quotable comedies, this has to be right up there. Holy Grail is full of classic scenes , from the Knights Who Say Ni to the French taunting to the Black Knight. Looking back, I don't recall when it was I first saw it, but it was practically love at first sight, which is odd, because i usually like my comedies very straight forward, and while Holy Grail is definitely not their most bizarre movie (The Meaning of Life anybody?), it certainly has it's out there moments. Take for instance, the ending. I hated the ending the first few times I saw it. I was like, what the hell just happened? But after a while, I figured it was just Monty Python being Monty Python (although sometimes I wonder if they just didn't know hoe to end it properly). Years later, the surviving Pythons would turn Holy Grail into a musical which is almost just as awesome as the movie is

Alright, so top 5 starting up tomorrow. I expect you'll see a few suprises