Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 77262 times)

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: masterthes (Page 20)
« Reply #700 on: July 28, 2013, 09:21:31 PM »
The Departed is a brilliant movie.  So many hooks and twists.  Love it.
Agreed. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #701 on: July 28, 2013, 09:24:11 PM »
It sounds terrific; i just moved it up in my queue.  checking to see if Amazon Prime has it...
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #702 on: July 28, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
It sounds terrific; i just moved it up in my queue.  checking to see if Amazon Prime has it...

You will NOT be disappointed. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sueño

« Reply #703 on: July 28, 2013, 09:28:45 PM »
Amazon Prime -- $1.99 rental.   I think it will be worth it...tomorrow night!  :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:49:56 PM by sueño »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #704 on: July 29, 2013, 06:22:18 AM »
*puts on hipster glasses*

I thought Infernal Affairs was better.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline sueño

« Reply #705 on: July 29, 2013, 06:56:41 AM »
¿por qué no las dos?    :hat

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #706 on: July 29, 2013, 07:49:17 AM »
*puts on hipster glasses*

I thought Infernal Affairs was better.

I have that in my DVD collection but still haven't gotten around to watching it.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #707 on: July 29, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
The Departed is fucking amazing, though for movies with 'twists' I prefer The Usual Suspects.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #708 on: July 29, 2013, 10:29:29 AM »
The Departed is fucking amazing, though for movies with 'twists' I prefer The Usual Suspects.

I absolutely adore both movies. As twists go, The Usual Suspects is untouchable.  But as a movie, The Departed is just higher quality and has MUCH stronger re-watching capacity (after watching Usual Suspects a second time with your friends, of course).

Offline sueño

« Reply #709 on: July 29, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »

I absolutely adore both movies. As twists go, The Usual Suspects is untouchable.  But as a movie, The Departed is just higher quality and has MUCH stronger re-watching capacity (after watching Usual Suspects a second time with your friends, of course).

Ah, yes -- The Usual Suspects.

BLEW my mind first time I saw it...I actually applauded at the end.  And I was watching it on DVD!!!  I've enjoyed watching it since because I like to see if I would have picked up the twist earlier in the film, y'know -- what clues am I missing, etc.  Kevin Spacey is ALWAYS great and Benicio Del Toro just cracked me up.

Now I REALLY need to see The Departed.  I'm watching it tonight, I think.  :)

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #710 on: July 29, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »

Ah, yes -- The Usual Suspects.

BLEW my mind first time I saw it...I actually applauded at the end.  And I was watching it on DVD!!!  I've enjoyed watching it since because I like to see if I would have picked up the twist earlier in the film, y'know -- what clues am I missing, etc.  Kevin Spacey is ALWAYS great and Benicio Del Toro just cracked me up.

Now I REALLY need to see The Departed.  I'm watching it tonight, I think.  :)

You definitely should!

But as some in the past have pointed out ( I believe seneca and GuineaPig are two of them), The Usual Suspects RELIES on its twist 100%, therefore, it's movie structure has somewhat of a crutch.  I still love it and I wish I could wipe my memory if only to experience it for the first time again.

Offline sueño

« Reply #711 on: July 29, 2013, 10:42:51 AM »
True.

I guess the later enjoyment for me comes from the actors' performances, regardless if I know how it's gonna turn out.  They're all really good.  One of the few places I can stand to see Stephen Baldwin.   :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #712 on: July 29, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
True, but I never really watch movies more than once anyway (unless they're really damn good or if they have some brilliant replay value) and The Usual Suspects made me go 'Whoaaa!' in such a way that I believed its placement on my list (first one in this thread) was justified.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline sueño

« Reply #713 on: July 29, 2013, 10:58:19 AM »
True, but I never really watch movies more than once anyway (unless they're really damn good or if they have some brilliant replay value) and The Usual Suspects made me go 'Whoaaa!' in such a way that I believed its placement on my list (first one in this thread) was justified.

Definitely justified!

Interesting viewing habits, though.  I have movies I love where I cannot count how many times I've watched them. They're good any time.  In fact, I only buy DVDs of films that I know I'll watch over and again.

I own The Usual Suspects..  ;)

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #714 on: July 29, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »

For sure! I think it would crack mine as well.

"And like that, poof, he's gone".

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #715 on: July 29, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »
*puts hipster glasses on*

Wait, this isn't one of those opinions.

*takes hipster glasses off*

The Usual Suspects is terrible.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #716 on: July 29, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
*puts hipster glasses on*

Wait, this isn't one of those opinions.

*takes hipster glasses off*

The Usual Suspects is terrible.

I knew it was you that hated it  ;)

Offline sueño

« Reply #717 on: July 29, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
silly rabbit...   :\

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: July 29, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »
The Usual Suspects ranks very high on my list.  Flawless movie.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #719 on: July 29, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
So, no thoughts on The Exorcist?

And while I'm here, today's selections are going to be my introductions to two goliath sci-fi franchises

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #720 on: July 29, 2013, 01:33:02 PM »

And while I'm here, today's selections are going to be my introductions to two goliath sci-fi franchises

Oh, The Exorcist is ok too I guess  ;)

And inb4 Godzilla and Independence Day

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #721 on: July 29, 2013, 03:02:30 PM »
I don't plan on watching The Exorcist actually, because I don't really like scary movies and I get a bit uncomfortable with demons and shit when it's treated like that.

The Departed however is awesome.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #722 on: July 29, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »

Oh, The Exorcist is ok too I guess  ;)

And inb4 Godzilla and Independence Day

inb4 Star Wars and Batman.
Squ

Offline sueño

« Reply #723 on: July 29, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »
I don't plan on watching The Exorcist actually, because I don't really like scary movies and I get a bit uncomfortable with demons and shit when it's treated like that.

The Departed however is awesome.

^^^This.

Although, I DID read the book when I was 11 or 12...  :omg:  I honestly don't know how I got it past my mother (I bought it at a second-hand shop).  It was horrible (as in horrifying)...I regret reading it to this day.  There are *still* bad images in my head from it.   :P

NOOOOO desire to see the film.  EVAH.    :tdwn

Offline masterthes

« Reply #724 on: July 29, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »

21. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Seems kind of funny that my first exposure to the Star Trek universe ended up being the least science fiction movie in the series. Those early years of seeing movies in the theater I can't recall why I wanted to see something, but I usally have a very good memory of what I did see, and like E.T., this movie and the one that's to follow remain some of my most pleasurable cinematic memories as a young child. While I had no idea about what happened before the movie took place, I still laughed a lot at the scenes with Spock and Kirk, loved the beauty of the humpback whales, and I thought the Bird of Prey ship was all kinds of cool. I vaguely recalled the scenes involving the Probe did freak me out a bit. After Star Trek IV, I couldn't wait until the next movies came out (I don't think I checked out the precedding titles until I was much older), and then of course, there was The Next Generation, which definitely became one of my favorite TV shows of the 90's

20. Return of the Jedi - I am not too sure if I saw the first two on video or not before this came out, but I will always remember seeing this in the theaters, and liking everything about it (Yes, even the Ewoks. Hell, I had an Ewok plush toy as a kid). More so than with Star Trek though, I became almost obsessed with Star Wars after seeing Jedi. I wanted to get as many of those action figures that they had. I even had an audio cassette of Jedi.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #725 on: July 29, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »
I finally watched Infernal Affair, and though the performances were good, I still prefer The Departed......by a lot.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #726 on: July 30, 2013, 07:40:02 AM »
I saw these two franchises coming.  But if the Voyage Home is on here, The Wrath of Khan better be, too!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #727 on: July 30, 2013, 07:45:38 AM »
Both great films! TVH is one of my favourite Trek movies, even despite being the least scifi-ish in the series as you pointed out.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #728 on: July 30, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »
Haven't seen any of the old Trek movies and I'm not really sure if I want to.

Return of the Jedi is very good, only the third best Star Wars movie though.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #729 on: July 30, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
19. The Matrix - Ready for a confession? I never saw this movie in theaters. Looking at the trailers, while I thought everything about it was beautiful, it just seemed too odd for my tastes. Boy, did I kick myself later. Sure enough, after I rented it, I thought it was a very special, brilliant type of movie and a perfect way to close out the 20th century. And while I'm here, I'm going to make a very controversial opinion. Most of the time, I tolerate Keanu Reeves in 90% of his movies. Granted, he's no Olivier, but he's not exactly Kristen Stewart either. The only real time I thought he truly sucked (pun intended) was in Coppola's version of Dracula. I only bring this up because I personally think he's work in the Matrix movies are probably his best work

18. Pulp Fiction - After my turn around opinion of Quentin Tarantino after having seen Kill Bill, I decided to revisit Pulp Fiction and see if my opinion changed. Naturally, it did. I really loved his use of dialouge and applauded his creativity in making a non-linear storyline. I thought Travolta and Jackson were awesome in this movie, and Uma was so cool as Mia. It still makes me unpleasant when she ODs, and I am still not that fond of Bruce Willis' storyline (except for Christopher Walken's monolouge, which is simply pure gold), but everything else is so good. I am really glad I gave Tarantino another shot.

Coming up tomorrow: one of my favorite Best Picture Oscars from the 2000's, and more Star Trek

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #730 on: July 30, 2013, 10:12:04 PM »
2 solid picks there. Liking your list a lot so far.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #731 on: July 31, 2013, 12:20:23 AM »
Two awesome movies.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: July 31, 2013, 11:17:22 AM »
Yup... nothing wrong with those being on anyone's Top 20.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #733 on: July 31, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
I watched Kill Bill again over the weekend, and if I had such a thing, I think it'd be in my top 5. At this point I might rank it higher than Pulp Fiction. Something that really grabs me by the shorthairs every time I watch it is how awesome the soundtrack is. Just a spectacular bit of film-making all the way around, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline masterthes

« Reply #734 on: July 31, 2013, 09:27:56 PM »
17. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - The original cast has always been my favorite incarnation of the Star Trek series, and this was a fitting send off to the crew (Not counting Generations). This movie had everything: cool sci-fi action sequences, a mystery, Shakespeare. It was also a timely reflection of what was going on in the world at the time with the ending of the Cold War and the dissolving of the USSR. For a while, it was my favorite Star Trek movie, but I would soon discover an even better movie in the series

16. Gladiator - I have always had a thing for historical epics, and Gladiator was no exception. Pretty much everything about this film is flawless. The acting is top notch from every corner. After having seen him in The Informant, Russel Crowe was on my list of actors to keep an eye on. He definitely deserved the Oscar for Gladiator (but I think he should have gotten it more for A Beautiful Mind), and Joaquin Phoenix got screwed. He was just brilliant and sadistic (a friend of mine said the real life Commodus was even worse). I will pretty much always watch this when it's on TV, although I did recently get it on DVD so thankfully I can watch it whenever I want (just as an interesting aside, I do own on DVD all the movies on my list)