Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 77205 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: Elite (Page 1)
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2013, 12:01:34 PM »
Two more stellar movies :hefdaddy

My Dad's bestie was a forward observer for the Marines during two tours in 'nam and he said that the boot camp part of the movie was the most spot on depiction of it he'd ever seen.

And OFOTCN is just... so classic.  "It's.... MEDICATION TIME... " :xbones

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
Wow, I always thought the boot/training camp was sort-of surreal, yet somehow accurate. In any case, it adds to the film, but I can also imagine it being very realistic! Anyway, as said, it won't be the last 'nam film on my list.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:42 PM »
Full Metal Jacket is great. I don't think I have ever seen someone look so insanely evil as the guy who goes crazy does at the end of his storyline.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2013, 08:28:55 AM »
Full Metal Jacket is great. I don't think I have ever seen someone look so insanely evil as the guy who goes crazy does at the end of his storyline.

Try Jack Nicholson in The Shining.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
My excuses for yesterday, I came home late from a band practice and didn't want to do the write-ups then, because I was tired. But here we go with yet two more!

9. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Directed by: Frank Darabont
Featuring: Tim Robbins & Morgan Freeman

"Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free." How can any list be complete without this one? The film tells a remarkable story of an equally remarkable friendship between innocent banker Andy Defresne (Tim Robbins), convicted of murdering his wife and her lover, sentenced to two life sentences in prison and Ellis 'Red' Redding (Morgan Freeman), a smuggler, who are both serving time in prison. Throughout the years, the two bond and Dufresne works his way up through the prison society, becoming the caretaker of the prison library on the way and helping to improve the prison's terrible state by exploiting financial loopholes in the system, overseen by the warden, who kind-of exploits Dufresne presence in prison. Here as well, I won't mention the story all too much, because this is just one of those movies you need to have watched and it ranks stupidly high in every single film/movie list and while it is very good, on my own list I can not place it higher than this, because for me, it lacks one of two things; brilliant or interesting character development (which IS there, just not as much as in other films, I believe) and something captivating about it, which this film didn't have for me. That said, it's still brilliant for the originality of the plot, which you'll have to watch, I'm not spoiling it and for the way the story progresses. Awesome film, but for me, not all that worthy of all the accolades it gets. But who am I? This list is my own and I'm not a film critic, so maybe I'm wrong.

8. Platoon (1986)
Directed by: Oliver Stone
Featuring: Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe & Tom Berenger

Blasphemy, how can I put anything above imdb's #1 film of all time, expecially yet another Vietnam film? Simply put, because I think Platoon is better, and here's why. Platoon is the first Vietnam film I ever saw and I remember watching this for the first time, being struck by the amazing depiction of a crazy time in USA's recent history. To give a short idea of why this film is good, here's a short review I shamelessly stole from elsewhere: "Though many might argue with the claim, Oliver Stone’s ode to his time in Vietnam was the first film that actually combined the tenets of a traditional war film with the counterculture perspective that had quickly become the post-‘60s norm. While it’s good vs. evil narrative base is a bit too broad to keep things wholly classic, the individual performances and personal point of view from the ex-Vet writer/director maintain the movie’s Hell on Earth ideals."  Especially the last sentence is why this film is good. Charlie Sheen plays an amazing performance as young soldier Chris Taylor, who becomes an inhuman monster, completely devastated by what happens in the war he's fighting. I'm not going to bother commenting much on the storyline, because, while it is what makes this film stand out, to me the most important aspect of this whole film is Chris Taylor's character development of this film. The insanity of the war is caught on tape here brilliantly, from the actual war itself, to the war inside the heads of all the soldier there, waiting to die, not knowing whatever the hell is going to happen to them and slowly going crazy. This film grabbed me by the guts and took hold of my head and inspired me to watch many other Vietnam films. There are few which I rank higher and this was a great starting point for me. Amazing film, that's all that needs to be said.
Squ

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »
Shawshank Redemption is WAAAY overrated IMO.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »

Yes it is, it was kind of the point I wanted to make. It's still good though, but the 8 films I put above it are all in another league for me.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »

Probably, but it's still a great movie.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2013, 06:07:38 PM »

So is Platoon.  Albeit neither are bad movies (*cough cough The Usual Suspects cough*)
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
The Shawshank Redemption is one of the classics I actuallt like a lot and actually deserves the "classic" stamp.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2013, 01:02:50 AM »
Shawshank could very well be overrated, but it's still an awesome movie.  So is Platoon.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
Wow! I've been very busy the last week, that's why I didn't do any updates, as I kind-of neglected it for a while. I'm actually typing the write-ups on the spot, so that's probably why it's taking me rather long. Anyway, here's the next two!

7. Pulp Fiction (1994)
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Featuring: John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson & Uma Thurman

Here's another one I don't think needs any introduction. Personally, I believe this is Quentin Tarantino's biggest accomplishment out of the all the good stuff he has made and hence, it is the only film directed by him on my list. What he does here is very refreshing in the way that the story (if there is any, you could say it's a series of very weird sketches if you want, yet if you can demonstrate that well enough, I might actually believe it) isn't told in a chronological way, but rather in a very weird, almost 'circling' kind of way. There is one overarching plot, but it's not until around the end of the film that this starts to make any sense, but this film definitely isn't about the story (hence the title!), but about the way the story is told. At least, that's what matters to me. So, what do we have? We start off with two bandits who try to rob a diner. We are then transporting to an unknown place, unknown time where Vincent (John Travolta) and Jules (Samuel L. Jackson) are on their way to an unknown location in a car and the chatter seemingly useless dialogue before storming into a hotel room and killing some people in one of my favourite movie scenes of all time. The story changes to Vincent and his gangster boss's wife, Mia Wallace (Uma Thurmann) whom he takes out for dinner. After dinner, she overodses while Vincent is in the bathroom and he has to rush her to a friend's place to give her an adrenaline shot to the heart. And that's not even half the film. See, it doesn't make any sense at all, especially since most of the dialogue is completely and utter bullshit, insofar as many people I've watched this film with disliked it for the lack of anything going on. Then why is it good? To me, it's good because it's different. The film keeps you watching as you want to know whatever is going to happen, IF anything is going to happen at all. The nearly absent story still manages to be compelling to me and while this is not a film I could watch every week (or even every year for that matter), it remains good everytime, for reasons I cannot explain properly. Just watch it.

6. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Directed by: Irvin Kishner
Featuring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford & Carrie Fisher

The film with the biggest spoiler in the history of cinema. That's this one, yet somehow, I had no idea when I first watched it. I must have been around 11-12 and this film in particular fuelled my love for Star Wars in the years to come. In terms of cinema, this film is by no means 'better' than any of my previous mentioned films, but for this one, it's the emotion and nostalgia that counts for me and it is for that reason that this is my favourite Star Wars film and one of my favourite science fiction films of all time. Of all the films on my list (and probably of all the films in the whole world) this is the one I've seen the most, rivalled only by the other 5 Star Wars films. I know this one by heart, exactly when what's going to happen and even who says what in some places. It's kind of ridiculous, maybe, but I love it. To me, there's nothing bad about this film. Though this one doesn't have some crazy-ass huge battle to wrap it up (unless you count the lightsaber duel at the end as such, or the amazing opening battle (THOSE AT-ATs AND SNOWSPEEDERS!)), this one has the most interesting story, the best character dialogue and interaction and one of the biggest 'Whoa!'-moments in any film I have ever seen. The cinematography is gorgeous, the world George Lucas created seems very real, and no scene in the entire movies feels rushed or insignificant. The music is absolutely brilliant, ans anyone who has ever seen Star Wars or heard its music will almost certainly assert to that. The only tragic thing about this film is the acting by Hamill and Fisher, who despite having two of the three lead roles, never seemed to take off after this film, whereas Ford has played in numerous others. Darth Vader serves once again as the archetypal villain, but we are introduced, briefly, to an ever higher power, the mysterious Emperor. Star Wars almost feels like a fairy tale and, frankly, it is one, but in a completely different setting and this is the best chapter of this fairy tale. If you've never seen Star Wars, even if you're not a fan of science fiction, I recommend you watch it and be overwhelmed by it. I guess it helps if you're young or naive, as the films create a world to indulge in and one that really touched my heart.

---

Tomorrow I shall enter the top 5, with two more astounding, yet very different films :)
Squ

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2013, 06:27:47 AM »
Both great movies. My only gripe about Pulp Fiction is that it's not really about anything, random stuff is just happening. But that is also one of the things that makes it cool and special.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2013, 06:33:09 AM »
I don't mind it when there's no real plot. :) 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »
Both great movies. My only gripe about Pulp Fiction is that it's not really about anything, random stuff is just happening. But that is also one of the things that makes it cool and special.

Did you actually read my write-up? Because that's basically what I said as well.
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2013, 07:20:26 AM »
Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece.  One of my favorite scene's in cinema ever... Christopher Walken and the watch.

"He died of ... dysentery"   :rollin

Empire... epic film is epic.  One of the first movies I ever remember seeing in the theater's.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »

Did you actually read my write-up? Because that's basically what I said as well.

Sorry, rushed through all of DTF today, only skimmed the Pulp Fiction one and read your Empire write-up more thoroughly... Heh... I read it now though and yeah it seems like we more or less agree on everything.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2013, 08:19:42 AM »
I'm really liking Elite's list, and I agree 110% on what he said about Empire Strikes Back

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2013, 08:46:18 AM »
Empire Strikes Back is good. Pulp Fiction really overrated though, IMO. I like movies with a really strong, intriguing plot, and as you mentioned this doesn't really have one.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »
How does Pulp Fiction not have a plot? Also, the dialogue is the best part.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »
How does Pulp Fiction not have a plot? Also, the dialogue is the best part.

Yeah, the dialogue makes the movie. Plotwise, it's a total mess of random stuff. I think that if this movie was released today and chronologically, few would like it. Except for the dialogue.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Oh, boy, we enter the top 5! This list is almost done. Here's two very different films, with one similarity. Enjoy.

5. 12 Angry Men (1957)
Directed by: Sidney Lumet
Featuring: Henry Fonda (and 11 other actors)

Another film that has had near unamious acclaim by anyone I know who has watched this. This is kind-of an oddball in my entire list, because this one is hands-down the oldest film on my list and it's a very special one because of one very simpel reason: the entire film, save for a short prelude and ending, takes places in the same room. That's right; the same room, no flashbacks, no interruptions, just like that, through the whole film. In the same room you say? Well, how can it be any good if poeple don't go anywhere or nothing interesting happens? Simply put; they don't need to, as enough happens in the room and that's where the strength of this film lies. 12 men are asked to be the jury for a case that seems clear cut from the start; a young Puerto Rican boy is on trial for allegedly killing his father and if he is quilty, that will mean a death sentence for the boy. As you may have guessed, the whole film takes place in the room where the 12 men meat up and discuss their opinions on what happened. Sounds boring? It most certainly is not. This film has some of the best character interactions I've ever seen on screen and is filmed and brought to the big screen beautifully. Henry Fonda plays the mains protagonist here in the heated discussion and he does the job wonderfully. Oh, it;s in black and white though, but I'm sure you won't mind, the film itself is too good to go unnoticed.

4. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

Directed by: Sergio Leone
Feauting: Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale, Charles Bronson & Jason Robards

Here's the *other* Western movies on my list and like 12 Angry Men (completely unrelated), this one has Henry Fonda playing one of the lead roles as well! (coincidence? well, yes actually). From he films opening sequence, which is gorgeous by the way, the viewer is thrown into the story which unfolds more and more as you watch it. Yes, I know every film does that, basically, but here it is compelling, because this film is driven by its story, accompanied by some of the best cinematography ever. Forget 3D, high definition and all that shit, this here is the best looking film in the world, even after all those years. So if the story is so important, it should be interesting, which it most certainly is. We have a mysterious man playing the harmonica (dubbed 'Harmonica' for lack of any other given name). We have railroad tycoon Morton and his hired gun annex assassin Franka and we have a bandit gang led by 'Cheyenne'. Furthermore, there happens to be this piecae of land, which is very important, because the railway has to cross this, as it's the only place with a water source. As it happens, this land has an owner; even after Frank killed him and his three sons, he forgot about the newly wed bride, who is now the owner of her husband's property. This setting makes for a very special story, especially in the way our protagonist (if you can call him that) 'Harmonica' and Frank interact with each other. It's another Western movie, but not one that focuses on the 'cowboys' and what not. Yeah, everybody has a gun, but this isn't Clint Eastwood or any other turned-into-a-cowboy-forever-actor. It's just a genuine, albeit fake, story of fictional characters in a setting that works really well. Oh, and did I mention yet I think this is the best looking film in the world? The music helps as well. Thank Ennio Morricone and Sergio Leone, for this masterpiece.

--

As there's only 3 more to go, here's the full list so far:

HM's:
- Trainspotting (1996)
- Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
- 2001: A Space Oddyssey (1968)
- Goodfellas (1990)
- Jurassic Park (1993)
- The Men Who Stare at Goats (2009)

20. What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993)
19. Melancholia (2011)
18. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
17. Se7en (1995)
16. The Lord of the Rings III: The Return of the King (2003)
15. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)
14. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
13. The Usual Suspects (1995)
12. The Godfather (1972)
11. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
10. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
9. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
8. Platoon (1986)
7. Pulp Fiction (1994)
6. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
5. 12 Angry Men (1957)
4. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
3. ??
2. ??
1. ??

Anyone who can guess any of the top 3 gets a cookie.
Squ

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
12 Angry Men is indeed awesome
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2013, 08:20:25 PM »
12 Angry Men! :hefdaddy :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
Impressed you'd go THAT old school.  I'll always remember the line Woody had from Cheers, that he was performing in a stage production of 12 Angry Men.... "But there's only 6 of us, so we have to be twice as angry."

:lol :lol

Prediction... not a 'nam era war film, but I'll go with Saving Private Ryan.  Not sure how you can't rank Apocalypse Now as the greatest 'nam era war film though, so I'll say that's still to come.  And to complete the war trifecta, Tropic Thunder.  :jets:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2013, 12:08:55 AM »
Haven't seen any of those yet actually.

Maybe one of the Nolan movies will make the top 3? And by that I mean the 3 that usually makes people's lists: The Dark Knight, Inception and Memento. Most likely in your case, looking at the rest of your list, I'd say probably Memento.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2013, 02:01:43 AM »
I'll go for an Arnonofsky or a Kubric. :)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »
I don't see Reservoir Dogs yet...

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
The Godfather part II or perhaps Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »
I don't see Reservoir Dogs yet...

..and it won't show up. I said in my write-up for Pulp Fiction that that is my favourite Tarantino..

Thanks for the comments :) some of you are perhaps right. Number 3 will show up a bit later tonight.
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »
2 more and the last honourable mention (which is a special one).

3. Alien (1979)
Directed by: Ridley Scott
Featuring: Sigourney Weaver (among others)

Did anyone expect this one? Nor did I and when I initially started making my list, I forgot about this one, but I had to include it anyway. And wow, did it end up high on my list or not? WHat we have here, is in my opinion the best science fiction film ever made (of course, only counting the ones I have actually seen) and - not only that - this is also the scariest film I have ever watched in full. I must have been around 10-12 when I first saw this and it's the impact that it had on me back then that makes it score so ridiculously high on my list. I was scared shitless and literally couldn't fall asleep for about two weeks straight. I've always had problems falling asleep anyway, but this film augmented that to insane degrees of insomnia. And it wasn't because I was scared of an alien popping up from under my bed or anything, but the way the story in the film was told. This way seem very silly nowadays and I probably wouldn't really find it scary if I ever saw it again now (last time must have been some years ago, can't really remember), but the way it scared me then was more than enough to warrant it being on this list. This film is about a shapeship that discovers a tracking signal on a nearby planet and the passengers are awakened as they set to discover what the source was from. They come to an alien vessel, in which numerous egg-like things are planted and out of one of them a creature jumps that attaches to the face of one of the passengers. He's taken on board, where they succesfully take the thing off, but when everything seems alright, an alien bursts out of his stomach, killing him instantly before it escaped. So now the ship is in space again, with an unknown creature on board that grows rapidly and stalks the passengers, killing them off one by one. That's the gist of it and it's brilliant. There's some backstories going on as well and our hero is Sigourney Weaver, playing warrant officer Ripley, which in itself is a stand-out for the male-dominated genre of science fiction for a woman to portray the main character. Without spoiling much more, I will just say that this is a unique work in science fiction and that it's just awesome all the way through, scaring you to death occasionally, not particularly by sudden random scares, but by the atmosphere's it creates. This film spawned 3 sequels and a film that linked the Predators from the science fiction film Predator (which is pretty awesome as well, I must say), but none of those sequels manage to live up to this one, at least for me. In space, no-one can hear you scream.

Honourable Mention: The Shining (1980)
Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
Featuring: Jack Nicholson

I had to give this one a mention for the same reason Alien is on the list; this film holds my itle as scariest film ever. The only reason it's not on the list is because I have never watched it in full. I stopped watching about half-way (I was about 12 again, I think), because I couldn't take it anymore. That fucking kid on his tricycle, those twin, the blood coming out of the elevator, it was too much for me and I was once again scared to death and couldn't sleep for days, because of what I saw. By now, I believe I've seen most of it through random clips (and I still don't like watching it), but I have yet to view the thing in full.

2. The Deer Hunter (1978)
Directed by: Michael Cimino
Featuring: Robert DeNiro, Christopher Walken & Meryl Streep

Not another Vietnam film! Well, yes, this is yet another Vietnam film and one of my all-time favourites. With this one, as well as with the number one, which is coming tomorrow, I'm not going to comment muc on the plot, since this has to be viewed in order to be experienced. Spoil yourself all you want by reading the (very lengthy) description on wikipedia, but I'm not doing it. This film takes place in Vietnam for a good part of it, but it actually starts out in a small town in Pennsylvania, where 4 friend prepare for marriage and military service. What ensues is the most heartbreaking story I have ever seen to film, my number 1 doesn't top it and nothing does and that's what makes this film good. The way it's filmed, the way the characters are, their traits and personalities and how they deal with the shit that's thrown to them is portrayed beautifully and pretty much impossible to describe without starting to talk nonsense, instead of just experiencing it yourself. There's a couple of recurring theme throughout the film (of which the most notable is Russian Roulette, which was highly controversial, apart from the fact that making films about Vietnam in the first place was a controversial act in itself). Robert DeNiro is our protagonist, playing Michael, the reluctant 'leader' of his group of friends and the way his character develops from beginning to end is nothing short of brilliantly executed. The Vietnam scenes are horrifying to watch, basically, but they still manage to maintain a level of reletive 'neutral-ness' if you prepare yourself not to be overwhelmed by them, although that's probably very difficult. Then why the title? Yeah, the title doesn't really show this to be a film about Vietnam, but the gist is that they all hunted deer before going into military service. Actually, the deer hunting plays a pretty big role in the overall plot, as the act of hunting is very important for the character development. I suppose I've rambled on long enough without really saying anything, so I recommend you watch this one as well if you haven't yet. It's a pretty overwhelming film all in all and one that left me sick in my stomach and heartbroken at the same time. This is some of the best the Vietnam genre has to offer.

---

NUMBER 1 will arrive shortly. :)
Squ

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »
The Deer Hunter is great!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »
Yes, it is!
Squ

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2013, 02:07:28 AM »
Alien is awesome and I pretty much agree with everything you said. It's not as high on my list mostly because of the out-dated movie making tech. I know it's kind of douchy to diss a classic because of dated effects and stuff like that, but when something looks fake it takes me out of the movie a bit. Still great though.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2013, 04:53:25 AM »
It certainly didn't look fake to me! And the majority of my list would be 'outdated' then :P
Squ