Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 76849 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: Scorpion (Page 4)
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »
Love Watchmen!

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2013, 12:07:06 AM »
Hot Fuzz is amazing.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:52 AM »
06. Black Swan
Directed by: Darren Aronofsky
Starring: Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel, Mila Kunis

This movie is probably the best psychothriller I know. The seamless blending of reality and hallucination often leave you wondering what exactly happened, and while that would come across cheap in other movie, Aronofsky makes it work seamlessly. Natalie Portman manages to capture the personality of Nina perfectly, especially in the fluctuations between White and Black Swan. The ending is great as well, with a certain ambiguity to it, and I love how Nina's injury fits so perfectly into the script that nobody notices at first. This movie is probably not for everyone, but if you enjoy a good psychothriller, then you should watch this movie right now.

05. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Directed by: David Fincher
Starring: Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara

Yes, I'm talking about the American version, not the Swedish version of this movie. While both are good, there are a few factors that edge this movie ahead of its Swedish counterpart. For one thing, I very much enjoy Mara's portrayal of Salander and it always felt more in-character than what Noomi Rapace did in the Swedish version. Also, the soundtrack to this movie is completely amazing - Trent Reznor :heart.

For everyone who doesn't know this movie, here's a quick rundown: Mikael Blomkvist (Craig) is tasked with investigating the disappearance of the niece of the businessman Henrik Vanger. With Lisbeth Salander's (Mara) help, he finds out about a series of connected murders in Sweden over twenty years.

Written like that, it does sound a little lame, like a run-of-the-mill detective movie, but the background story of the whole thing gives this movie its identity. If you like thriller movies in any shape or form and aren't completely averse to somewhat graphic scenes, give this one a shot for sure.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2013, 04:13:21 AM »
Black Swan is truly amazing, no doubt. Indeed one of the best psychothrillers out there.

I actually like the swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo more. Which is weird because I am swedish myself and usually pretty mutch loathe swedish movies for having that boring feeling that swedish movies often has. But there's just something about the swedish version I like better. It's better put together and the plotpoints flow in to each other more seemlessly.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #179 on: February 04, 2013, 12:53:51 AM »
04. Inception
Directed by: Christopher Nolan
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Marion Cotillard

This movie is one of the few that completely blew me away on the first viewing, and yet continues to become only better with every subsequent viewing. It has a hell of an intriguing plot and its execution is nothing short of awesome. I'm not really a big fan of DiCabrio, but he shines here, displaying a character depth that is stunning. And that ending... :heart

I'm sure that most people know this movie, but if you don't, you should definitely watch this. It impressively shows why Christopher Nolan is considered by many to be one of the best directors of our day.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2013, 04:44:16 AM »
Inception is so good

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2013, 06:54:02 AM »
04. Inception
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Marion Cotillard

This movie is one of the few that completely blew me away on the first viewing, and yet continues to become only better with every subsequent viewing. It has a hell of an intriguing plot and its execution is nothing short of awesome. I'm not really a big fan of DiCabrio, but he shines here, displaying a character depth that is stunning. And that ending... :heart

I'm sure that most people know this movie, but if you don't, you should definitely watch this. It impressively shows why Christopher Nolan is considered by many to be one of the best directors of our day.

Seeing your avatar combined with your praise of Nolan gives me a great idea of where this list is heading . . .

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:34 AM »
I will neither confirm nor deny anything. :)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »
Ah, Inception. A worthy movie of the number 4 spot.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2013, 03:34:20 PM »
I've seen Inception twice. Both times, I pretty much fell asleep right away til the end of the movie. Is that part of the movie's premise?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
Not too fond on Inception. It's pretty good, but not nearly as good as it's made out to be.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2013, 04:41:41 PM »
Update before I go to bed! I don't expect too much discussion on this one. The top three with pics!

03. A Fish Called Wanda
Directed by: Charles Crichton
Starring: John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline

I doubt anyone would have expected a comedy to be ranked this high, but this is so well-done and hilarious that I can't help but love it. This movie tells the story of a jewel heist, affairs, murdered dogs and pet fish, and it manages to merge all these seemingly random elements into a story that is both cohesive and funny to the extreme. John Cleese (of Monty Python) as the frustrated lawyer Archie  and Jamie Lee Curtis as the con-artist Wanda and his lover are the stars here, but the other actors are brilliant throughout as well, such as Kevin Kline as the semi-intellectual Otto, who pretends to be Wanda's brother, or Michael Palin as the stuttering gangster and animal lover Ken.

I could just go rambling on and on about this, but I doubt I could capture what makes this movie so special, so my advice is to simply watch it if you like well-executed comedy in any shape or form.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
My favorite movie of all time is a comedy, so I have no problem with a comedy this high on the list.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2013, 01:49:06 AM »
I think I've seen this a long time ago. I can not remember it well enough to evaluate it though..

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2013, 09:19:46 AM »
02. The Dark Knight
Starring: Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman

Coming in at #2 and surprising approximately no-one, we have Christopher Nolan's masterpiece, the second piece of his throughout-spectacular Batman trilogy. Everything I love about good action movies is represented here - fights that make you hold your breath, special effects that are so damn well executed, a badass caped crusader and a bone-chilling villain. All the movies in the trilogy are great, but the way that Heath Ledger portrays the Joker's insanity in this movie elevates it past the others. Aaron Eckhart play Two-Face great as well, but it's almost a shame that he's in this movie as well, because he pales against Ledger in almost every aspect. Alone the brilliant acting of those two makes this film worth watching.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: February 05, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
Awesome movie. Like you said, Heath Leadger's Joker elevates this movie from great to McGreatnessville.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #191 on: February 05, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »
I would like to throw my name in for doing a top 20.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #192 on: February 05, 2013, 02:42:52 PM »
I would like to throw my name in for doing a top 20.

:tup

And yeah, The Dark Knight is pretty awesome. If I had done a top 25 it might just have appeared in it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »
I didn't like the Dark Knight as much as other people seem to. I definitely really enjoyed it, but I can think of at least 20 film that I would put higher.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2013, 04:26:39 AM »
Alright, here's my number one. I would like to thank everyone who's followed and commented at this point. :tup

01. Sin City
Directed by: Frank Miller, Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis, Elijah Wood, Clive Owen, Jessica Alba

Based on Frank Miller's comic of the same name, this movie is rather interesting in that it tells the stories of five different people that all live in the same city - Basin City, and whose stories overlap at some points. Each story is dark and grim throughout, and the visuals capture that perfectly - the whole movie is in black and white, except for certain colours which come across as far more intense due to the contrast - red blood or golden hair, for instance. Each story deals with corruption and violence, and while the whole movie is pretty graphic, it never comes across as shock value, but simply as an intense ride from start to finish.

Quite frankly, I can't really say why I love this movie so much, but it remains the only movie that I know that I can watch as often as I want, sometimes multiple times a day (I did that once) while never getting bored of it. The way that each of the characters narrates their own story pulls you irressistably into the world of Basin City, a world that no normal person wants to live in and that is frightening and fascinating at every turn.

I fully appreciate that this movie will probably have many people scratching their heads, especially at the high placement, but I myself have never seen a movie that had a chance of surpassing this one, so if deserves this spot for me.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2013, 05:17:26 AM »
I love Sin City! :)

Offline masterthes

« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2013, 05:18:50 AM »
Nice list Scorpion. I like Sin City as well. Nowhere near number 1, but still enjoy it a lot

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2013, 05:19:58 AM »
Great film, would make the 25. I've PM'd the next people so they can start :)
Squ

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2013, 09:01:26 AM »
Never understood the love for that movie honestly.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2013, 10:21:33 AM »
To my great shame I have not seen this... Just as I haven't seen quite a few of all the other movies on proples lists.

Thank you for your list, very interesting!

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2013, 10:35:23 AM »
And you may start tomorrow :)
Squ

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: February 08, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »
Hi everyone and welcome to Black Ink's Top 20 movies of all time! At first I planned on doing this list visually, uploading my write-ups, or "talk-ups" I guess, to YouTube and posting links here. But I changed my mind and I'm doing it here, but I am still thinking about doing that for the top 3 or 5 or something.

I am also pretty young, meaning two things:
1 - I haven't seen as many movies as a lot of other people has (in total 400-500 in my life probably)
2 - Well I guess you'll have to notice that later

There are also a lot of classics I have so far missed out on that may have made my list had I seen them.

But let's get going with some honorable mentions:

24 - Minority Report (2002) - Great sci-fi that didn't quite make my list
23 - The Game (1997) - Incredible thriller that realy makes your head spin
22 - Sunshine (2007) - Another great sci-fi that truly demonstrates the power of the sun
21 - The Prestige (2006) - One of Nolan's best, a movie that still often crosses my mind

I WILL SPOILER THE SHIT OUT OF A MOVIE IF I FEEL I CAN DO A BETTER WRITE-UP BY DOING SO

20 - King Kong (2005)

Peter Jackson proving himself as a great fantasy director outside the Lord of the Rings universe. I am a huge fan of fantasy movies and a huge fan of long movies since those tend to be the best ones, so this movie just fits in great on my list. Everyone is perfectly cast, Adrian Brody is awesome. Jack Black is really great too, I'm not used to seeing him in serious roles like this but he does it really well and I hope he gets to do more of that in the future.

A classic story combined with new awesome visual effects not only there to make it look fancy but to actually enhance the story. And all that combined with that sweet Peter Jackson-cinematography.

One final thing I have to mention here also is Naomi Watts as Ann Darrow: That girl is just the cutest thing I have ever seen in a movie. It's like every time her face comes on screen my heart just breaks into pieces. I don't know if she always looks this good in movies but in King Kong she the definition of beauty.

8.9/10 - Great

19 - War of the Worlds (2005)

Another 2005 movie. I have always liked Tom Cruise as an actor, say what you will about his life outside the screen but the dude's a good actor. Also I really like this take on an alien invasion story. That along with that seriously gritty and real imegary this movie has makes for a real enjoyable watch. I also like Dakota Fanning who probably is (or were) one the best child actors out there.

While this movie isn't particularly scary there are some seriously intense moments. Anyone who have seen this movie will probably understand that I'm thining about the basement scenes with the alien camera and then the aliens sneaking around while the main characters tries to hide from it. The first time watching that is some intense shit. Tim Robbins character's finale is also really haunting with Dakota Fanning singing that lullaby with her eyes closed with you hear the silent struggle between Cruise and Robbins in the background.

I have seen some complaints about the ending being rather random and abrupt, and while I understand those complaints I do not share the opinion of that dragging the movie down at all. I think it's a great ending and it gives the movie some class to have the aliens not surviving our atmosphere rather than having a giant battle between men and aliens as the climax.

Also; Morgan Freeman narrating. Boom, win.

8.9/10 - Great

Hope you will enjoy my list, next update tomorrow!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:48:21 AM by BlackInk »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #202 on: February 08, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
I couldn't even make it all the way through King Kong. The LOTR directing style just didn't work for King Kong imo. Everything was so artificial, for example the horrible looking stampede that looked so fake that it just took me entirely out of the movie, and the big sweeping landscape pans in every single scene.
And knowing the original, the new one felt like it was just one-upping the original for the sake of padding it out.
"So you've got a dinosaur lying down? Well we'll have a whole stampede of them crushing people!"
"Fighting a T-rex? Oh yeah, well our King Kong fights TWO T-rexes! In mid air while falling off a cliff!"

I thought Jack Black did a pretty good job though, and it was refreshing to see him play a character that wasn't just Jack Black. He should do more of it.

Oh, and Faye Wray >>>>>>> Naomi Watts. No contest there.

Never seen War of the Worlds.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »
I do understand that over-the-top feeling you're describing, my favorite parts of the movie is the New York scenes and some of the boat scenes that focuses on the cast. though I have no problem with those scenes you were talking about and maybe that is because I've never seen any of the other King Kong movies so this is the original to me and then everything just feels like how it's supposed to be.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
I really enjoyed King Kong.  War of the Worlds?  Not so much.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: BlackInk (Page 6)
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2013, 02:49:46 PM »
I WILL SPOILER THE SHIT OUT OF A MOVIE IF I FEEL I CAN DO A BETTER WRITE-UP BY DOING SO

18 - Black Swan (2010)

Yes, I love this movie. And no, it's not because of the Mila Kunis-Natalie Portman naked and getting it on stuff.

I first saw this movie to prepare for the Academy Awards in early 2011 and I did not have very high hopes. All I knew was that it was about ballet dancers in New York or whatever. Not the typical guy's favorite genre. But then this movie got going and it just started getting freakier and freakier. Stuff started to happen and I was like "dude, I did not expect this shit...". I don't know if I have a favorite scene in the movie, but I certainly enjoyed the climax of the whole thing. I also loved that scene when Nina looks into her mother's painting room and the eyes on one of the painting movies briefly, that was scary. Not scary in the "oh my god get me out of here I want to scream" scary, just the "what the hell is going on here" scary.

9.0/10 - Amazing

17 - Memento

Another Nolan movie, what can I say? The guy knows how to make'em.

I really agree with what that poster says. "A new classic among thrillers", "a masterpiece". This movie has a really interesting concept and was one of those holy shit movies for me when I first started getting interested in filmmaking. Guy Pierce is perfect as Leonard Shelby, he plays the character perfectly which must be hard, to play a character who really doesn't even know who he is. But Pierce does it really well and I can really say that I buy him as a character.

One of the best moments of the movie is when it suddenly cuts to Leonard running and he starts to figure out why he's running while doing it. Then he sees that Dodd guy and thinks "oh I'm chasing this guy", but Dodd pulls a gun on him and Leonard realizes "no... he's chasing me...". That's an awesome and funny scene that are one of the many like it in this brilliant movie.

9.0/10 - Amazing
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:48:39 AM by BlackInk »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »
Memento is so minblowingly unbelievably good.  Awesome movie!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2013, 02:34:48 AM »
Memento is probably my favorite movie, so great pick!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »
With the exception of War of the Worlds, I approve of this list so far

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
Is there a line-up for this thread?  'Cause I'd like to do a list.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."