Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 77154 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: Scorpion (Page 4)
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »
Multipass

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2013, 11:12:59 AM »
14. The Bourne Identity
Directed by: Doug Liman
Starring: Matt Damon, Franka Potente

This is another movie that's plain fun, not really anything deep or intellectual. This marks as one of the first action films I saw, and while this nostalgia probably plays into my placement, it's still a respectable movie on its own. The story isn't really anything to write home about, but the acting is pretty good, especially on the part of Matt Damon, who manages to capture the determination and yet helplessness of Jason Bourne pretty well. Just an all-around enjoyable movie, and Jason Bourne is a badass.

13. The Matrix
Directed by: Larry and Andy Wachowski
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving

I don't think I need to say much about this movie. This is probably my favourite sci-fi movie (though that term should only be applied loosely here) and it combines it all: a great plot, some great acting from all characters and some great philosophical ideas lying beneath the whole thing that both allow you to simply enjoy the action-fest that it is or to really think about it, whatever you want. Everyone should have probably seen this one, so I'll just say that it's a damn shame that the trilogy which started so strong could never even begin to match up to this movie.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »
I love the Matrix!

Not too big on the Bourne series though.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »
Matrix is a great one. What did you think about the sequels?

Bourne movies are fine, though nothing amazing. Haven't seen Ultimatum yet and they that's the best one.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »
What did you think about the sequels?

It'd be wrong to say that they weren't worth watching, because they did finish the story, but they are lightyears away from the brilliance of the first part. Revolutions is the worst, Reloaded has a few redeeming qualities, like the château fight, which is pretty entertaining, even though rather long.

Bourne movies are fine, though nothing amazing. Haven't seen Ultimatum yet and they that's the best one.

You should definitely watch all of the original trilogy, they are all quite good, but I find the first to be just a little better than the second and third one.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
Two fine choices, though I wouldn't rate Bourne that high, Matrix I think I have in my top 25. I have to check

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
Two awesome flicks there Scrop. Bourne is absolutely a badass.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2013, 11:54:45 AM »
12. Melancholia
Directed by: Lars von Trier
Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Alexander Skarsgård

It is difficult to put this movie into words. Lars von Trier has always been known for his powerful images that he uses in movies to evoke emotions, and of those movies that I have seen, it rarely works as well as it does here. Melancholia tells the story of three people in the face of the impeding end of the world, and while that sounds cliché, von Trier manages to make a gloomy and emotional story out of it. There's nothing of explosions and people running amok like it is in many other end-of-the-world film, no - this movie is more subdued. There just a melancholic, somber mood that permeates this whole thing and doesn't let you go until a long while later. This isn't a movie that I can just watch if I want to enjoy it, but it does what it sets out to do perfectly and is an amazing movie in its own right.

11. Antichrist
Directed by: Lars von Trier
Starring: Willem Dafoe, Charlotte Gainsbourg

Oh look, another von Trier! This movie is an anomaly of a kind in my list, because it has elements that I never really enjoy, such as explicit brutality, but von Trier manages to pack this into a plot that is even more disturbing than the most brutal scenes of the movie ever could be.

The movie begins with what I imagine must be every parent's nightmare: two parents have sex, leaving their child unattended, who dies as a result. Because of this, the woman falls into depression and the man, a psychologist, takes here to their cabin in the woods where they spent their last summer with their son, in order to bridge the gap between him and his wife again.

What follows then is some of the weirdest and most disturbing stuff I have ever seen, both in terms of brutality and in terms of the psychological factor. And despite me not enjoying horror movies in the least, this is one that left an impression on me like few others did. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, because it's not a movie that's meant to be enjoyed, but it left me deeply impressed in a way that no other movie has matched.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2013, 12:08:35 PM »
That makes two that were in my list as well :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ħ

« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »
Nice choice with the Bourne trilogy! Excellent pick!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
Not familiar with either of those two movies.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #151 on: January 28, 2013, 01:15:19 PM »
Like I said when Elite did his list, I hate Melancholia. I gave it a 2.7/10, which would be the category "painful".

I haven't seen Antichrist, but from what you say, it sounds like some disturbing stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #152 on: January 28, 2013, 03:30:09 PM »
Melancholia's been on my Netflix instant queue for a while now. I haven't seen the other, but it sounds interesting.

Offline tapsmiled

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2013, 03:35:24 PM »
I had Antichrist on my DVR for months and eventually erased it.  I do intend to watch it one day.
Do or do not; there is not try.
Trust your Force.  Strong!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
Haven't seen either of these, but I have heard pretty good stuff

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: Elite (Page 1)
« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »
Great list Elite! Lots of great movies listed.

15. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1966)
Great movie. Love the scene where The Ecstacy Of Gold (Metallica's opening theme music) is playing where the guy is running around the graves.

14. A Clockwork Orange

This would be #2 on my list! Incredible performance by Malcolm McDowell.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »
10. Back to the Future
Directed by: Robert Zemeckis
Starring: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd

One of the most well-known and high-regarded time travel movies, this movie has long since become iconic, and for damn good reason. The story is as well-executed as it is funny and absurd at the same time. Both Marty and Doc are some great characters that often have me chuckling at their antics, and they are cast and played perfectly. I'm sure everyone has probably seen this one, so I'll keep it short, to close with: if you have any interest whatsoever in the concept of time-travel, this movie is a must-watch. No excuses.

09. The Intouchables
Directed by: Olivier Nakache, Éric Toledano
Starring: François Cluzet, Omar Sy

When my parents convinced me to go to the cinema with them one day, I had no idea that I was going to see one of the best films I have ever seen and that would leave an impression on me in a way that few films have ever managed.

This movie tells the heartwarming story of Philippe, a rich businessman in Paris, who has to spend his days in a wheelchair and can't move his body an inch below his neck. He is in need of a new live-in carer. Driss, a black, unambitious man without a job appears at the interview in order to get a signature, so that he can keep on getting money, with no intention of getting the job and being extra rude to Philippe in the process. However, a day later he gets a call that he is employed, because he was the only that didn't pity Philippe, but treated him normally. Somewhat reluctantly, Driss takes the job and starts working for Philippe.

What follows is the story of how Philippe and Driss become closer - Philippe educates Driss, who in turn helps Philippe break out of his daily routine that his other caregivers have instilled on him and actually having fun the first time in years, and even meeting a woman who might be the right one for Philippe. Throughout, this movie is full of humour, but never feels respectless towards incapitated people, but rather invigorating and refreshing. I can't really say this any better, but this is a movie that doesn't leave you unaffected, and I would recommend it to everyone, without exception.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:49:12 AM by Scorpion »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2013, 06:39:06 AM »
09. The Intouchables

I think you should swap out a vowel, and start over.   :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2013, 06:52:22 AM »
Never heard that one, but oh hell yea to Back to the Future!

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2013, 07:14:20 AM »
Some strange picks there Scorpion. :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2013, 07:15:15 AM »

I agree. That's why I love these types of threads/lists. Always some weird ones.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2013, 07:50:50 AM »
09. The Intouchables

Eh, come again?

I'll take that as a compliment. :lol

Yeah, I know, but my taste in movies is anything but regular, I've found that a lot of the crowd-pleasers do nothing to me and many movies I like are generally looked down upon.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2013, 08:03:59 AM »
I think he meant The Untouchables

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »
09. The Intouchables

Eh, come again?

The Untouchables.  That's a classic.

"Isn't that just like a wop... brings a knife to a gun fight".

:pwnt:

Edit :ninja: 'd

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2013, 08:06:47 AM »
Oh, ok. Like I said, there's a fair share of movies considered to be classics that I haven't seen, so I didn't recognise the title. Carry on.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
I have seen Back to the Future and it's a good movie, not exactly as high as you put it though.

Have not seen the other one.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never seen Back To The Future.

Keep em coming!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline masterthes

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
 :o that needs to be rectified post haste

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »
Interesting to see such a recent movie as the Intouchables on the list. I'm loving you're more unique picks!  :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2013, 01:39:12 PM »
08. Watchmen
Directed by: Zack Snyder
Starring: Malin Åkerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode

Yes, many of Zack Snyder's movies suck (case in point: 300, Sucker Punch), but he absolutely struck gold on this one. Based on one of the best and most innovative comics that I know, this movie manages to pack 12 books of story into a two-and-a-half hour movie that manages to still do all the relevant parts of the comic justice, which is pretty incredible on its own.

The cast is great as well - there are no actors on board that I had heard of before watching this movie, but they quickly won me over with their awesome acting. Especially Nite Owl and Rorschach are portrayed in a way that perfectly captures the essence of the comics. I still prefer the comics, as a few small details and sub-plots get lost, but that's inevitable and should not be somethign that the movie is criticised for at all. Anyone who is a fan of superhero movies should check this one out, it's definitely my favourite of the genre.

Also, Malin Åkerman = seriously hot.

07. Hot Fuzz
Directed by: Edgar Wright
Starring: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost

This is one of the earliest movies that I remember actively seeing (I only got into movies rather late, at around 12 or 13, I think), and from my first viewing on, I knew that this movie is all kinds of awesome. What begins as a somewhat morbid detective story around a few deaths in an idyllic town that nobody except the new cop Nicolas Angel seems to think twice about ends up as a completely over-the-top battle that is so hilarious that you can't help but laugh at it. Coupled with a unique sense of humour, this is probably my favourite action comedy ever. Awesome throughout and highly recommended to anyone who likes some detective work, humour and shit being blown up.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »
Watchmen! I love that movie. I admit it's got some horrible flaws, but I love it anyway.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »
Yeah as a fan of the book I was very pleased with the Watchmen movie.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2013, 02:04:13 PM »
two great movies! loved watchmen, though i wasn't familiar with the graphic novel when i saw it.  i prefer shaun of the dead to hot fuzz, but hot fuzz is great as well

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »
Haven't seen any of those! People have been telling me to watch Watchmen so I guess I sould get to it.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »
To comment on the Bourne Identity; those movies has some of the best action editing I have ever seen, especially in Ultimatum. The multi camera and angle shots are just uncanny.