Author Topic: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: toro (Page 25)  (Read 77155 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: Elite (Page 1)
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2013, 08:23:11 AM »
Maybe, but it's harder to make a tall black murder alien in space look real than most other stuff in movies one your list (that I have seen). So it's understandable, it being released in 1979 and all.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2013, 08:47:04 AM »
Shawshank Redemption is WAAAY overrated IMO.

So is Platoon.  Albeit neither are bad movies (*cough cough The Usual Suspects cough*)

Shawshank (and Pulp Fiction) may be a tad overrated, but are still great.  Hardly anyone overrates Platoon anymore (akin to accusing Randy Rhoads as currently being overrated).  Heartily agree with The Unusual Suspects.  Another really overrated movie is Forrest Gump.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2013, 08:56:33 AM »
Another really overrated movie is Forrest Gump.

Nope.  :hat
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2013, 05:40:25 PM »
I'm too tired and busy to wrap up my list tonight, as I still have to do the write-up for it, but it will be here tomorrow night (my time) and it will be awesome :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
So, here we are finally, at my number one. Thanks everybody who has been following this, I hope you enjoyed my write-ups as much as I did writing them and reliving the films in my head as I went. This one is very special to me and I hope my write-up will shed some light on the why.

Not sure how you can't rank Apocalypse Now as the greatest 'nam era war film though, so I'll say that's still to come.

You're right, I can't. In fact:

1. Apocalypse Now (1979)
Directed by: Francis Ford Coppola
Featuring: Marlon Brando, Martin Sheen & Robert Duvall

"The horror... the horror.." And as I heard those words when the screen turned to black, I realised I had just seen the best film that has ever been made. There is no contest, out of everything I have seen, no film comes close to the magnitude of absolute brilliance that this film is. After Platoon, this is the real film that started my love for Vietnam films. I must have been 15 the first time I watched it and I didn't even watch all of it. I jumped in about halfway at the amazing Wagner-sequence. For those who haven't seen it; this film takes the bombastic qualities of Richard Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries' to a whole new level and has been cited often as being some of the best parts of the film. But let's be frank, this film has no best part, in the same way that it doesn't have a weak part AT ALL. At almost 2.5 hours, the length is very daunting and the 'Redux' version is even longer, clocking in at over 200 minutes, but even that one doesn't have you lose interest in the slightest. To me, what makes this movie stand out (apart from really everything) is the way it is filmed, the way the story is told, the atmosphere it creates and the way it left me after I had seen it in full for the first time. Scenes that explicitly do this very well are the opening scene, the Wagner sequence, the Do-Lung bridge scene and the final 10-15 minutes.

So, before commenting more on what is good about this film, let me first explain what the hell this is from people who have never seen it. Apocalypse now is (yet another) Vietnam film, but one that is VERY different (yet again) from the other three that have been on my list. The gist of it is simple; US Army Captain Ben Willard (Martin Sheen) gets orders to follow the river Nung into the neutral Cambodia to kill the rogue US Army Special Forces Colonel Walter E. Kurtz (Marlon Brando), who is leading his own army of Montagnard (French for 'mountain folk', the indigenous people of Vietnam) troops and has supposedly gone crazy. Willard starts following the river on a boat with a group of other soldiers and his trip to Cambodia is what's depicted in the film. Along the way, Willard and his crew encounter various different things, which all have one thing in common; people are completely going crazy and they are getting more and more crazy the further the head down the river, with its pinnacle at the scenes involving the Do-Lung bridge, which is in my opinion one of the strongest movie scenes I have ever seen regarding the utter helplessness of the young people waging a war against their enemies, but far more notably, against themselves. This film doesn't show a war against the Vietcong as much, but more so the inner battle against darkness inside the US army and this scene in particular represents a turning point for our main character, who up until then had been fairly ignorant or neutral about whatever he saw, but as we get closer to the end (and the end is where it really happens), Willard, like every other person encountered earlier, turns into a monster.

And this brings me to the following; I personally believe this film isn't showing us a war, it's merely using this as a backdrop to show the viewer the loss of humanity in the face of war. The more he enters the jungle and the further down the river he goes, the people he encounters lose their morals and judgement and I think this film portrays this principle very, very well and it is what makes the ending so strikingly amazing, yet utterly unbelievable. The ending can not be watched without having seen the rest of the film, in order to fully understand the impact it will have on you as you watch it, after having seen all this terrible, psychologically gruesome stuff before. To judge a film based on its ending and its ending alone isn't what I'm trying to do here and while I will say it's brilliant and my favourite ending to any film ever, it's once again the road that leads up to there that makes it as great as it is. I honestly can not imagine ever seeing a film again in my life that will strike me in such a way as this film has done to me. It's, again, not one I watch often and it's one you should take the time for to immerse yourself in it, but this film gave me not only a new outlook on film as a whole, it also managed to jump right to the spot of undoubted favourite film ever. Not a shot or scene is wasted here and everything has a purpose. Numerous people have analysed this film and its scenes and everything is in there for a reason and there's nothing I would change about the entire thing. More so than with any other film on this list, I implore you to watch this very soon, if you haven't yet.

---

Thanks, once more, for reading!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:42:59 PM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline FreezingPoint

Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: Elite (Page 1) - #1: This is the end.
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »
Have you ever read Heart of Darkness? I enjoyed the book, or most of it, and have thought about watching Apocalypse Now because of it. Might do that now because of your write up. Well done for all of them.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2013, 04:41:30 PM »
I haven't yet, but I intend to do so one day! I hear good things about it.
Squ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2013, 08:26:30 PM »
I really enjoyed reading your list! While I personally have had issues enjoying war movies in the past, it has been interesting to read your take on a couple of them.

Thanks for taking the time to share!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
Really good writeups Rich.  Clearly you've got a lot of passion for most of these movies.  When it gets to mine, doubt I'm gonna have as much to say.  "I like cuz it funny" is about the extent of what I'm coming up with.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
Man, another probably great movie I haven't even seen. But it being your number one, I will try to take the time and watch it this week.

Thanks for the list, a lot of really great ones!

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2013, 01:50:34 AM »
So much Vietnam!

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2013, 04:00:44 AM »
Great movie and a worthy finish of your list, though I wouldn't rate it as highly.

Anyway, I'll start sometime this afternoon, I've got quite some stuff to do.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2013, 04:52:24 AM »
I hate Heart of Darkness, love Apocalypse Now though

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2013, 04:58:51 AM »
I've been meaning to see this movie, but haven't yet. I'll be sure to remedy that.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2013, 05:31:59 AM »
Great movie and a worthy finish of your list, though I wouldn't rate it as highly.

I'd suggest starting a new thread... as we do for the Top 50 album series.  That way, you can modify the title, and this doesn't get super cluttered/long.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2013, 05:43:22 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad people enjoyed reading all this :)

I really enjoyed reading your list! While I personally have had issues enjoying war movies in the past, it has been interesting to read your take on a couple of them.

I can imagine they can be quite gruesome in one way or another. A good way for me is to detach yourself from the horrible stuff that goes in in wars and just focus on what the film is trying you to tell, however much it may be horrifying in one way or another, kind of like a 'reflection' on the ridiculous stuff mankind pulls itself into.

Really good writeups Rich.  Clearly you've got a lot of passion for most of these movies.  When it gets to mine, doubt I'm gonna have as much to say.  "I like cuz it funny" is about the extent of what I'm coming up with.

Thanks! Yes, I do try to write a bit more than 'I just like it because I think it's good'; that doesn't work with me, I need explanations as to why I like it, so that's what I tried to do with all those :)

So much Vietnam!

I know! :eek

Yes, take your time :)

I hate Heart of Darkness, love Apocalypse Now though

From what I have gathered, they are both very different. A;though the themes are supposedly (?) similar, the setting is obviously very different, but please correct me if I'm wrong, for I have yet to read it.

I've been meaning to see this movie, but haven't yet. I'll be sure to remedy that.

YES

I'd suggest starting a new thread... as we do for the Top 50 album series.  That way, you can modify the title, and this doesn't get super cluttered/long.

So, you're suggesting we use this thread as a 'tracker'-thread from now on instead of everyone posting their lists in here? I suppose that could work; we may even start 2 threads at the same time. Do we need a mod's permission to do this?
Squ

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2013, 06:18:33 AM »
So, you're suggesting we use this thread as a 'tracker'-thread from now on instead of everyone posting their lists in here? I suppose that could work; we may even start 2 threads at the same time. Do we need a mod's permission to do this?

Don't think we need a mod's permission... only if you want this stickied - but there's already quite a few stickied up there.  If you're gonna stick around, and willing to maintain this as a 'tracker' thread, that'd be cool. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2013, 06:18:37 AM »
I'd wait for a mod's permission, because that would be rather cluttery, after all. I'd have no problem with simply using this thread, though.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »
NO problem at all with your Top 3, and with your honourable mention.  Both Alien and The Shining scared the shit out of me the first time I saw them, too - I remember seeing Alien in the theater when it first came out (I was 9), and even though it really doesn't follow the book very closely I think Kubrick's version of The Shining clearly surpasses the miniseries that was done for it several years later (plus, Shelley Duvall was perfect as Wendy - Rebecca DeMornay as Wendy was a GROSS miscasting).

The Deer Hunter is a VERY depressing movie, but very good at the same time.  You just cannot argue with DeNiro as Michael, and it was the first time I saw Christopher Walken in anything.  Just tragic.  Of course, you could say the same things (or some of them) about Apocalypse Now.  I think I prefer the Redux version, as Coppola was forced to cut a lot out of the version that was originally released in theaters.  Phenomenal movies, both of them.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11:44 AM »
So yeah. My list, here it is. I'll just continue in this thread, if needed, it can be split, I think.

A word of warning beforehand: I haven't seen many films that many people consider "absolute classics", so expect the number of those to be fairly small.

20. Déjà-Vu
Directed by: Tony Scott
Starring: Denzel Washington

There are many, many time travel movies out there and there are few that actually bring something new to the table and manage to treat this topic in a way that it doesn't feel stupid, but rather well-thought out and enjoyable. Déjà-Vu manages to do exactly that by using multiple timelines that are frightingly complex - you are guaranteed to not understand it the first time, yet it still is a very enjoyable movie all the same and doesn't leave you unsatisfied or with the feeling that it was too contrived, but rather with the desire to see it again. It's not really anything groundbreaking or anything, simply a time-travel movie done well, with some acting that serves its purpose.

19. Apocalypse Now
Directed by: Francis Ford Coppola
Featuring: Marlon Brando, Martin Sheen & Robert Duvall

I first saw this movie in History class, when our teacher was too lazy to actually prepare something, so he put on this movie, because he had a history class the same and day and wanted to watch it with them. It certainly looked cool (well, the eighty-something minutes that we watched), but it didn't inspire me to check out the whole thing for some reason.

Fast-forward another year and we are discussing musical scores in Music class and we are, lo and behold, using Apocalypse Now's famous scene with the Ride of the Valkyries, which sent chills down my spine from the first moment. The same day, I got the movie from a friend and watched it over night. I fell asleep during the first class the next day, but it was worth it.

This movie is awesome throughout. It has some of the most impressive shots of Vietnam that I know and the acting, especially the portrayal of how people become inhuman through the cruelty of war is superb. A great, great movie and it pains me to rank this so low, but there are other movies that I enjoy a whole lot more, I'm afraid, even though they aren't really that significant.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2013, 09:18:47 AM »
Anything with Denzel Washington is awesome.

Rich... you'll have to continually edit the thread title if we're just gonna have one big thread.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2013, 09:31:57 AM »
The trailer for Deja-Vu always played before movies on DVD some years ago and I have always found the trailer to be very intriguing, though I have never gotten around to watch it.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Top 20 Films/Movies Thread - Up now: Scorpion (Page 4)
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2013, 02:22:22 PM »
18. The Game
Directed by: David Fincher
Starring: Michael Douglas, Sean Penn, Armin Mueller-Stahl

I would have probably never seen this movie if my dad hadn't insisted that I would like it. It hadn't really sounded all that interesting when I had read about it but I didn't really have anything else to do that evening, so I joined my dad in watching it, and I'm happy that I did. This is one of the more interesting thrillers that I have seen and it has a rather unique plotline as well.

The gist is this: Nicolas van Orten, rich and successful business is visited by his brother on his birthday, who gives him a gift voucher for a 'game' at a company named Consumer Recreation Service. He is initially opposed to the idea, but he eventually goes there and has to undertake lengthy tests - only for CSR telling him that he is unfit for the game. But a surprise awaits him when he gets home...

What I really like about this movie is how unpredictable it remains throughout (well, that's the feeling that I had when I first saw it, anyway), and you are constantly wondering what will happen to Nicolas next and where exactly danger is lurking, just waiting to strike. There are some rather logically flawed parts at the end, but that doesn't really make the movie any less enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a good suspense movie that's a little different than the usual mold.

17. Inglourious Basterds
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Michael Fassbender

There are few movies that manage to really do such a complicated topic as the Third Reich justice and manage to take it into an alternate history that is both well-constructed and believable. This film, however, does so perfectly. The interweaving stories of Shoshanna, a Jewish girl planning to assassinate the Nazi leadership, the Basterds that are trying to do the same from a totally different angle and amidst all that, Friedrich Zoller and Hans Landa, two Nazis following their own, vastly different agendas that, despite their cruel deeds don't come across as complete assholes, but rather as human, just like those hunting them are.

The characters are all very well-cast, with each of them filling out their role perfectly - be it Brad Pitt as the Apache leader of the Basterds, the Austrian Christoph Waltz as the devious Col. Hand Landa or Til Schweiger as Hugo Stieglitz, a former Nazi turned traitor (which is his only role that I can stand, by the way), every actor fits into their role perfectly. It is also pretty cool that the movie uses three different languages throughout, giving it a very real feel (and I understand all of them, so that's an added bonus). It's kind of long, but the time watching it really does fly. This is a historically-inspired movie done right.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
Can't go wrong with Tarantino :tup
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:46:35 PM by SomeoneLikeHim »
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2013, 03:26:30 AM »
Both awesome, it's funny that your backstory of how you first came to see The Game is pretty much exactly the same as mine. Dads huh?

And agree with the comment above: You can't really go wrong with Tarantino.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2013, 11:43:09 AM »
Two more updates! (Not that anyone seems to care :'()

16. Fight Club
Directed by: David Fincher
Starring: Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Helena Bonham-Carter

A word beforehand: this movie contains one of the best plot twists that I have ever witnessed. It makes sense when you know it, but you would have never, ever thought of it on your own. At first, the plot seems fairly insignificant, but only as the movie progresses do you realise both the magnitude of the whole thing and just how expertly the movie had you fooled.

To not spoil it for those that haven't seen the movie, I won't say anything more about it here, at least not plot-wise. I can, however, still add the the cast is phenomenal - both Brad Pitt and Edward Norton do a great job of bringing the main characters to life and Helena Bonham-Carter proves once again that she is a very gifted actress. The depictions of brutality are a point of criticism for some, but it works in the context of the movie very well, just as the electronic soundtrack does, even though I'm not a fan of such music normally.

Everyone who hasn't seen this one should hurry up and do so. I did so, again, yesterday, but nothing can compare with watching it for the first time, and I envy everyone who still has that experience before them.

15. The Fifth Element
Directed by: Luc Besson
Starring: Bruce Wills, Gary Oldman, Milla Jovovich

This is one of the first science-fiction movies that I ever saw, and to this day it remains one of my favourites. It has many of the classic elements of a science-fiction movie (aliens, evil powers, the one hero who is somehow stronger than all the enemy soldiers combined), but there are enough unique elements thrown into the mix so that this movie doesn't become clichéd and boring - above all, humour.

Many of the characters in this movie (though none more than Chris Tucker as Ruby Rhod, an intergalactic talk-show host) make you laugh at the weirdest moments without making the whole thing feel forced or anything. Gary Oldman shines as the villain Zorg, an industrialist hired by Evil itself, and while Bruce Willis seems to be playing the role of the aged army veteran that is still surprisingly good at what he once did in pretty much every movie, there is no denying that he does it well. Milla Jovovich is great as well - she really manages to play a being that, despite looking human, actually is very far from it, very convincingly.

This movie isn't really all that sophisticated or intelligent, but I have always enjoyed it for what it is - a not-too-serious science fiction movie, and while I probably have a soft spot for it being my first sci-fi movie, that doesn't mean that it is anything less than a very good movie.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »
Fight Club is awesome. The first time I saw it my mind was blown. The second time it all made sense. Great film.

Haven't seen the other one
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2013, 01:47:23 PM »
Anything with Denzel Washington is awesome.

Your post reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHmjiiqCHSs
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
I don't think Fight Club is a good movie.  The movie loses itself to its own sense of cool.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »
Can you explain that a little more in depth, please?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »
It's supposed to be a satire, but ends up not being satirical because of the way it portrays Tyler Durden.  The whole idea of the movie is that one should reject nihlism and grow the fuck up, but the film spends the majority of its runtime idealizing the lifestyle its trying to critique.  And that's how Tyler Durden became an iconic "cool" character, even though he wasn't meant to be.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »
I see what you mean, but that never really bothered me when watching the movie. Then again, I'm not the guy that really thinks a lot about movies, I just sit back and watch them and have a good time, so that might have something to do with that.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »
I think the first half of the film definitely does that, idolize Tyler Durden, but that's important.  It lulls the audience into believing in Tyler and his message but the second half does not... it pulls the rug out from under the audience (even before the twist). I think the movie does that rather well, but YMMV I guess.

I will not say that Fight Club is perfect (there are one or two instances where the film stretches credibility) but I still love it and Fincher is a great director.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2013, 08:12:32 AM »
Love Fight Club, it was the first movie I saw that had one of those big twists in it. So yeah, that's a great pick.

Not a huge Fifth Element fan though. Like you said the movie is funny and humerous in unexpected ways and that's really cool, but overall it's a mediocre movie for me.