Author Topic: Silversun Pickups  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Ryzee

Silversun Pickups
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »
So I'd heard of this band for a while now and was familiar with some of their songs from the radio, but I decided to pick up their newest album Neck of the Woods on a whim and holy crap!  This band is really good!  I'd recommend them to fans of bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Mew (Zantera I'm looking at you) or anybody that likes some good alt-rock. 

Anyway, since I think it's official that I'm now a fan of this band, I wanted to see if their were any other fans out there that could recommend some more of their stuff to check out.  Right now I'm eyeing their previous album Swoon, since it has the track "Panic Switch" that I really dug from the radio.  Anybody else like this band?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Silversun Pickups
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »
I've actually been meaning to check them out for ages, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Hopefully I can change that soon. I am very familiar with their song "Lazy Eye" (which is in one of the Guitar Hero games, and Rock Band 2), and I both love playing it, and love the song itself. If the rest of their stuff is as good as that song, I'll be blown away.  :hat

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »
I like them. Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings) is probably my favorite song of theirs (Substitution comes in at a close second; followed by Surrounded (Or Spiraling) )They're nothing spectacular and nothing blows me away by them, but by that same regard, all their music seems to be very energetic and most songs I listen to by them get me grooving. Panic Switch was definitely a radio-hit a few years ago and I've certainly over-played it to enjoy it anymore (thus I don't see it as a classic since I've heard certain songs thousands of times and still come back to them). All in all they're a talented band.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »
I've actually been meaning to check them out for ages, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Hopefully I can change that soon. I am very familiar with their song "Lazy Eye" (which is in one of the Guitar Hero games, and Rock Band 2), and I both love playing it, and love the song itself. If the rest of their stuff is as good as that song, I'll be blown away.  :hat

Check them out dude, I think you'd really dig it.  I'm a noob fan so I feel weird giving recommendations but, uh, check out the newest album!  :D

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »
Neck of the Woods was one of my favorite albums last year. Bloody Mary is a killer song.  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:08:52 PM »
I've got Swoons and really like it. It's Nice to Know You Work Alone is my favorite song of theirs.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:24:45 PM »
Huge fan here.
Swoon is one of my favorite albums of all time. I didn't care much for the new album though..

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »
Huge fan here.
Swoon is one of my favorite albums of all time. I didn't care much for the new album though..

Interesting.  What were your issues with the new album if I may ask out of curiosity?  It's basically been my only real exposure to the band so far but I think it's great, so if their back catalog only gets better than I'm in for a treat!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 09:54:36 AM »
I don't know why, but it's the same way with a lot of my friends. They love Swoon, but hate Neck In The Woods. Personally, I think they're on par with eachother. Carnavas is the one I find to be the weak link (too many songs that just aren't memorable). Never heard Pikul.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 10:50:48 AM »
Saw them open for Muse in 2010.  They've got some good songs and a cool sound but like TioJorge said, nothing really blows me away.  Haven't heard anything off the new album though. 

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 11:20:52 AM »
Pretty much what skydivingninja said.  I was going to see them open for Muse, so I checked out a few of their songs.  Panic Switch was really good, but it was the only one that really stood out to me.  They were fun to see live, but after the show, I never really followed up on them.

I may check out the new album sometime. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:41:51 AM »
Their basslines are actually really fun to play. 

Offline HGinCT14

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 11:45:41 AM »
My girlfriend was the one that turned me on to them a few years ago.  I have the Carnavas album and I'll have to say the although Swoon isn't necessarily bad, hell it's better than what most everybody else has been putting out the last few years, Carnavas is leaps and bounds above it.   I think part of it is a shift in the line-up, secifically they picked up[ a new drummer after the Carnavas tour I think.

Some of my top picks to check out include:

Melatonin (Carnavas track 1)
Well Thought Out Twinkles (Carnavas Track 2)
Waste It On (Carnavas Track 6)
Panic Switch (Swoon Track 5)

Side-note: I didn't realize that the singer was a guy till last year.  There is a girl in the band but she's the bassist.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »
She also looks like Maggie Gyllenhal. 

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 11:50:51 AM »
 :lol  Yeah I knew there was a female in the band and I kind of always assumed she was the vocalist too from what I'd heard on the radio.  It's all good though, I love bands like Coheed & Cambria, Rush, Mew, etc. so guy singers that sound like girls are kind of my thing  :P

All kidding aside though the singer kind of sounds like Billy Corgan more than anyone/anything else to me.  That combined with the backing vocals from the female bass player is what really gives me that Pumpkins vibe.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 02:17:45 PM »
Huge fan here.

Interesting.  What were your issues with the new album if I may ask out of curiosity?  It's basically been my only real exposure to the band so far but I think it's great, so if their back catalog only gets better than I'm in for a treat!

It just didn't click with me.
I don't feel like the songwriting was as good as the other 2 albums.
One of my issues with their previous albums was that they have a keyboard player, yet, he doesn't really do anything prominent. I was hoping he'd step up a bit on the new album. He definitely did, and but I feel like he did a bit TOO much.. It's just too "synthy" in some places.
That being said, it does have some fantastic songs(Mean Spirits, Out of Breath)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:23:55 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »
Right on.  I think the "synthyness" you were referring to is one of the things I dig about it.  But yeah, Mean Spirits is the stand out track for me so far for sure  :tup

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 08:10:41 AM »
I... thought the singer was a woman at first too.   :lol At least until I watched a live video after I got into them.