Author Topic: Wanna read my dissertation?  (Read 2140 times)

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
Wanna read my dissertation?
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:55:25 AM »
Ok this is a bit of a weird one, but basically I wrote my Music degree dissertation a couple of years ago on Progressive Metal and why it's such a sausage fest... some of you may remember me posting a survey in here at one point.

It has been a while since I did it and I'm not so convinced it's particularly good anymore, but I got a first class mark for it and several people have at different times requested to read it. I finally got it onto my new laptop, so if anybody is vaguely interested send me your e-mail address and I'll wing it across. Constructive criticism and opinions welcome, but seeing as it's been and gone and done and dusted ages ago there might not be too much point :P Unless this thread wants to debate how shoddy my ideas are... anyway, up to you. Let me know guys  :metal
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Wanna read my dissertation?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 08:56:27 AM »
Sure, I'd be interested.

EDIT: Right, I missed the part about the e-mail address. PM sent. :lol
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:52:31 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »
You had me at sausage-fest.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:11:14 AM »
Oh cool, sending you mine, really interested!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
Mite b cool

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:43:24 AM »

Offline philmcson

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
Read the first 17 sites. Well, at first I thought that all metal genres are dominated by men, but seems they are not, and that the female prog metal concert attendance is built mainly by "bored girlfriends and wives" gave me quite some laugh  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 10:24:57 AM »
You had me three weeks ago when you first mentioned sausage-fest.

Fix'd for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline philmcson

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 10:26:13 AM »
Read all of it. Great dissertation, especially the chapter about Adorno's essay (political context!!!!!!!). Really interesting  :tup :tup :tup

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »
Read all of it. Great dissertation, especially the chapter about Adorno's essay (political context!!!!!!!). Really interesting  :tup :tup :tup

Aww thank you! I think that was my favourite chapter too. And probably the one that is least obvious and less already known by all prog metal fans :)
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »
Read the first 17 sites. Well, at first I thought that all metal genres are dominated by men, but seems they are not, and that the female prog metal concert attendance is built mainly by "bored girlfriends and wives" gave me quite some laugh  :lol

Haha I forgot I put that there. Wasn't meant offensively... :)

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »
Also hope it's obvious that I didn't actually submit it with THAT title, I just changed it for the lolz afterwards...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 11:25:59 AM »
It does sound interesting.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline philmcson

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »
Also hope it's obvious that I didn't actually submit it with THAT title, I just changed it for the lolz afterwards...

Haha right  :biggrin:

Have you tried to publish it in some kind of scientific journal or would that actually be too long. Maybe the abstract......?!

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
I've never tried publishing it anywhere, no. I wouldn't know where to start! Though it would be pretty fucking cool to do.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »
At our university they gave us some advice which, I think, can be applied to all sciences - list the journals from Current Contents, first the one with big Impact Factors. Send it to one of your choice and even if it'll be rejected they'll most likely give you some feedback on why they wouldn't publish it and what you need to change in order for it to be published. If they reject without any chance of publishing it later, work your way down to the magazines with lower IF and so on.....

Although, we have some doctors of science here on DTF who'll surely be able to give you more detailed advice  ;)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »
I'm up to chapter 4 right now (the Adorno stuff) and I'm liking it so far, you bring up a lot of interesting points that I hadn't thought of before.

Though I can't believe that you said "bitching" in a dissertation. :lol

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 01:15:18 PM »
At our university they gave us some advice which, I think, can be applied to all sciences - list the journals from Current Contents, first the one with big Impact Factors. Send it to one of your choice and even if it'll be rejected they'll most likely give you some feedback on why they wouldn't publish it and what you need to change in order for it to be published. If they reject without any chance of publishing it later, work your way down to the magazines with lower IF and so on.....

Although, we have some doctors of science here on DTF who'll surely be able to give you more detailed advice  ;)

Cheers bud! I mean, it's not really a science at all, it's more the Arts, but I'll bear it in mind. I haven't aimed to get it published though it's a nice feeling for people such as yourselves to read it!

I'm up to chapter 4 right now (the Adorno stuff) and I'm liking it so far, you bring up a lot of interesting points that I hadn't thought of before.

Though I can't believe that you said "bitching" in a dissertation. :lol

Haha yeah. I also said 'fretwanking' with my own little footnote definition. Can kinda do what you want in the Arts, I suppose. Really glad i brought up a couple of things you hadn't thought of, the whole thing seems as though it'd be very obvious to fans of progressive metal, but given that it was for a general classical orientated music degree course I wanted to do something I was passionate about and that they wouldn't already know much about. Have to say getting a first in that was one of the most awesome feelings in my life.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
Your definition of wankery had me spitting iced tea all over the place.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 04:10:07 PM »

Oh god, I didn't even catch that at first! :lol Did you have that in your final version that you handed in or did you add it later, like the title?

Anyway, I finished reading it and it was a good read, the only problem I had was that I don't really think that the argument "people who listen to pop are more likely to accept other things without question" holds any water.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 04:19:21 PM »
As a musicology student who happens to enjoy progressive metal and never gets any study-related material on the subject, I'm very much interested.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
PM sent.  I'm more of a science guy myself but I'm very interested in issues of gender so this sounds like it'll be worth a read.  Plus, I get to learn what wanking is, apparently.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »

Oh god, I didn't even catch that at first! :lol Did you have that in your final version that you handed in or did you add it later, like the title?

Anyway, I finished reading it and it was a good read, the only problem I had was that I don't really think that the argument "people who listen to pop are more likely to accept other things without question" holds any water.

Yeah, I had fretwanking in. It's an important piece of the dissertation! I had a discussion with my supervisor and he was fine with it :)

Yeah I can't even remember what I tried to argue in that section, was that my argument or Adorno's? *should know this* :P

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 06:08:10 PM »
I'm super interested! Pm sent
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 07:02:19 PM »
I would gladly read it.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.