Author Topic: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Stick a fork in this .... It's done!  (Read 47943 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - 2012 Album of the Year
« Reply #385 on: April 17, 2013, 07:19:07 AM »
And thanks for the nod to Grandma, though it's Grandma Borrego, Grandma Dunn is still kicking butt and taking names. :)

Ahh... gotchya.  Which grandma was the one that was gonna buy this album based on your review?  :lol

That would be Grandma Dunn. :lol

That was hysterical. For the masses, upon reading my review, my loving Grandma, who was 88 at the time, asked me where she could pick up a copy of the album. I kinda gently told her I didn't think it was her type of music. :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #386 on: April 17, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
I know I'm in a minority here but I just don't love this album like others do. It's ok, don't get me wrong, but it is a bit of a favourite around these parts and I just don't feel the same.
Decent album but nothing really memorable for me. As I've said before I'm not the biggest Prog Metal fan and a prog metal band has to really stand out these days to get my attention. This one just... didn't.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #387 on: April 17, 2013, 07:55:54 AM »
That's alright.  You've still got awesome tastes in music.  Everyone has their own little fail every now and then.   :biggrin:  Mine's probably Opeth, PT, and PoS.  None of them do much for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #388 on: April 17, 2013, 08:11:15 AM »
I knew what the album was going to be when I saw the thread title. Great album once it clicked!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #389 on: April 17, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »
That's alright.  You've still got awesome tastes in music.  Everyone has their own little fail every now and then.   :biggrin:  Mine's probably Opeth, PT, and PoS.  None of them do much for me.

Me neither, though I have heard a couple of PT albums that were ok. Just don't know when I'd be in the mood to listen to 'em.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #390 on: April 17, 2013, 09:41:21 AM »

I understand Opeth and PT, but I would have thought that POS would be up your alley, actually. Do you have any idea what's with their music that bothers you?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: April 17, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »

I understand Opeth and PT, but I would have thought that POS would be up your alley, actually. Do you have any idea what's with their music that bothers you?

Hard to say.  They just don't float my boat.  I have Entropia and The Perfect Element.  They're not bad, but not terribly enjoyable either.  Just my opinion.  Listening to them for the past hour to see if my opinions/tastes have evolved since I last spun them. 

Nope.  They just have a depressing feel to me.  Some songs I liked, but for the most part... meh.

Gonna give Road Salt 2 a go, since I remember Nick giving them a very high review, and his tastes an mine often line up (as is evidenced by the number of albums/bands on this list I discovered from WPaPU).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #392 on: April 17, 2013, 10:28:54 AM »
So one of your next updates is going to be 2011 Album of the Year, right?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: April 17, 2013, 10:54:11 AM »
Yes ... and it was far too low on your v2 list.

Finish the damn thing, will you?!?!?!?   :censored

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: April 17, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
That album is a masterpiece.... the live show was in CD quality ...  sick bunch....

Have they changed the female vocalist or did I dream about that? 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: April 17, 2013, 11:30:27 AM »
Don't know if it will be a permanent change, but IIRC from their FB feed for the last show, they had to go with a replacement for Dilenya - health reasons.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »
oh.. so it wasn't a dream.... well I wouldn't be torn apart to be honest....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #397 on: April 17, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »
They did, here is video of the new girl doing Worlds of Wonder...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MwujfDbMl4

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #398 on: April 17, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
They did, here is video of the new girl doing Worlds of Wonder...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MwujfDbMl4

I like that song.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #399 on: April 17, 2013, 01:46:58 PM »
The news of Simon's death was one of the most painful things for me last year, and lemme tell you, it was a shitty year in general so it had a lot of moments to contend with.

Also that album got glowing reviews everywhere, pretty much. I think mine is the best I ever wrote. But I like RJ's better :lol :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #400 on: April 17, 2013, 01:50:03 PM »
It's not the best circumstance, but I must admit that the widespread emotion after Simon's death made me check them out, and I eventually got into them. A great album indeed.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #401 on: April 17, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »
I think mine is the best I ever wrote. But I like RJ's better :lol :metal

Thanks, that means a great deal coming from you. :heart

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: April 17, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »
Also that album got glowing reviews everywhere, pretty much. I think mine is the best I ever wrote. But I like RJ's better :lol :metal

Can you provide a link to yours.  I'd love to read it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #403 on: April 17, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »

Can you provide a link to yours.  I'd love to read it.

Here it is....
https://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=11168

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: April 17, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »
This album was okay, but didn't really move me like it did the rest of you guys.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: April 18, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
https://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=11168]https://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=11168

Damn Milena, that was a nice write up!

On with the countdown.  Busy day this morning, so I didn't have a chance to get to this until now.

4) Frameshift – An Absence of Empathy (2005)

Tracks to try ... Human Grain, Blade, Miseducation
One of my favorite bands/vocalists in the late 80s/early 90s was Sebastian Bach.  After Skid Row’s third album in ‘95, the band lost their way, and Bach started performing in theatre and Broadway.  This proved to be a wise move, as he was able to take care of his voice unlike many from that era (paging Mr. Dokken... Mr. Don Dokken). Fast forward a decade to 2005 and Henning Pauly’s second Frameshift production, An Absence of Empathy.  Pauly + Bach turned out to be a beautiful match for the theme of this album, which explores numerous and disturbing forms of violence – murder, rape, war, and torture, with two tracks exploring each issue… one song taking the side of the victim and one the aggressor; or two songs from two different perspectives on the same topic.  The concept of the album was actually a collaborative effort between Pauly and Shawn Gordon from ProgRock Records (therecordlabel.net... there it is again!).

“Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent”

This quote gives you a good idea what this album is about. It is about violence, human violence to be precise. It is ever present and, in varying degrees, ingrained in all of us. Violence is in all of us, but the question is what factors determine who lets it show through and how does it show itself. The same questions haunt the protagonist of An Absence of Empathy. He is a curious individual who wants to know why the media is filled with news about murder, rape and war and he is afraid that he might have the potential for violence himself. He starts to research the subject, but this is not enough because it can’t show him what motivates the person that acts violently, what plagues them, and it doesn’t make him feel the pain of the victims. His desire to understand one of humanity’s most basic traits leads to a series of vivid dreams that appear to be so real that he can’t escape this dream world until it is all over. In them, he becomes the killer, he becomes the rapist, he becomes the soldier, he becomes the mother crying for her daughter who was raped.

What starts slow, and quickly sets the stage for a varied and frantic prog-metal album, the opening track, Human Grain, is based on a heavy and rich riff that is accompanied by dramatic guitar/keyboard arpeggio unisons, and what I can only describe as ‘scratchy’ keyboards. It sets the stage for the raw and visceral forms of violence and disturbing emotions that this album explores.  Henning provided all the musical work outside of the drumming, and showcases his immense talent across multiple instruments, especially with some of the guitar solos.  However, the real show throughout the album is Bach’s vocals, and how Pauly was able to truly get the best out of Bach – who’s solo albums since are good, but nowhere near the vocal quality Pauly was able to extract from him.  Bach delivers powerful and gritty melodies, passionate and emotive ballads, along with screams and wail’s better than anything I ever heard during his “prime” years with Skid Row.  His vocal delivery allows the listener to mentally “step” into the minds of the character’s he is portraying – a mother mourning for her raped daughter; a man’s fit of rage resulting and the murder of his wife; a serial killer; a rebellious student on a viscous rampage.

This is by far the heavier of the two Frameshift albums, understandably due to the themes.  The album has a flow that leaves you wondering what happened to the last 75 minutes, as it goes by without even noticing its length.  Human Grain, Just One More and Miseducation provide a fantastic opening 1-2-3 punch of heaviness right out of the gate; In An Empty Room and What Kind of Animal are the emotional and touching ballads, with both Bach and Pauly pouring their heart into the music; in a paradox, I Killed You and How Long Can I Resist are a couple of upbeat and fun tracks; Blade is the grand poobah of the album, providing a haunting drum beat and choir to support the passionate screams of Bach as the historical (native?) character defends his land from oppressors.

Sadly, Pauly and Bach came to litigious blows around the release of the album, differing on their views as to the level of input Bach had in the vocal delivery and lyricism.  I love Bach’s vocal talent, but it’s generally known that he carries around a 10 pound ego in a 5 pound bag.  It’s an incredible shame, as they combined to give me one of my favorite album discoveries in the last couple years, and I believe had intentions of working together again.  :sadpanda:  Alas, it will never happen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - It’s too bad this collaboration turned sour
« Reply #406 on: April 18, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »
Thanks for making me check out this album again, it's incredible.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: April 18, 2013, 04:52:18 PM »
 :tup :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2013, 04:30:39 AM »
Not heard this one. Unweaving is the only one I've heard, which was okay.
I like Seb's voice- at least on those forst two Skid Row albums.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »
Paul, if you're a fan of those first two SR albums (as I am), I got a feeling you'd really like this.  This is COMPLETELY different from Unweaving the Rainbow - it's quite dark and heavy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2013, 04:41:44 AM »
Not heard this one. Unweaving is the only one I've heard, which was okay.
I like Seb's voice- at least on those forst two Skid Row albums.

Yeah, I think you'd like this.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2013, 04:44:54 AM »
:blush

I dig Unweaving The Rainbow -> I dig Pauly
I dig early Skid Row -> I dig Bach
Yeah I think this would be cool. The concept sounds SUPER interesting.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: April 19, 2013, 04:48:59 AM »
:blush

I dig Unweaving The Rainbow -> I dig Pauly
I dig early Skid Row -> I dig Bach
Yeah I think this would be cool. The concept sounds SUPER interesting.

Just be prepared that it is NOTHING like Unweaving the Rainbow... but I think given your tastes, you'd like this as well.  Thankfully the whole album is up there on Grooveshark (I think it's on Spotify too)... because there ain't squat on YT.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: April 19, 2013, 05:06:56 AM »
The whole album really is just quality music, no matter what you like.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: April 19, 2013, 05:27:08 AM »
Just be prepared that it is NOTHING like Unweaving the Rainbow... but I think given your tastes, you'd like this as well.  Thankfully the whole album is up there on Grooveshark (I think it's on Spotify too)... because there ain't squat on YT.
Grooveshark usually saves the day for me since we don't have Spotify in Serbia yet. There isn't anything from Unweaving The Rainbow on YT either, I think.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - No shortage of brains with this Scarecrow
« Reply #415 on: April 19, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
3) Avantasia – The Scarecrow Saga (2008-2010)

Tracks to try ... (how do I pick just three!?!?) Another Angel Down (The Scarecrow), The Wicked Symphony (The Wicked Symphony), Journey to Arcadia (Angel of Babylon)

If I can do a five album pentalogy as a single entry, than I can sure-as-shit do a trilogy as a single entry.  I like to think that “The Wicked Trilogy” would’ve been a better name for these three albums, but it is The Scarecrow Saga.  It was actually the DTF member Scard that first mentioned Avantasia to me, at a meetup before DTF’s ADTOE show in Toronto in Oct '12.  I even wrote the name of the band down to check them out.  Alas, I completely forgot.  Thankfully, a few weeks later, Nick rolled them on WPaPU (Toy Master specifically), and I thought ‘wow, these guys sound like Alice Cooper, but way proggier!’.  :lolpalm: (for those that don’t know, Alice Cooper is the lead vocalist on that song).  Well, that was enough to go and check them out, and upon hearing that the title track from The Wicked Symphony was a vocal three-way with Allen and Lande, well – schwing! – gotta get this one. 

While these albums are loosely based on a concept, the story is not nearly as tight or interwoven as the previous multi-album ‘alogy’ I wrote about just three entries ago.  From the booklet of The Scarecrow, Tobias offers the following introduction to the storyline “The Scarecrow is a tragic story of a lonesome creature, emotionally isolated from his environment and suffering from a distorted sensory perception. His feelings for the love of his life unrequited, he sets off on a journey exploring the left-hand path, striving for inner peace, sloughing his way to approval and eventually facing temptation at the inner depths of the human soul.”  What follows on the three albums is breath-taking.  Guest musicians that truly are prog household names - Khan, Lande, Allen, Catley, Somerville, Kiske, Andre Matos – along with legendary rock household names – Cooper, Owens, Meine, Olivia – all who have a character driven reason for their vocals and participation.  Layer in musical contributions from Eric Singer (Kiss, Alice Cooper), Oliver Hartman, Jens Johansson (Stratovarious, Star One), Simon Oberender (Beyond the Bridge), Alex Holzwarth (Rhapsody, Sieges Even, Blind Guardian) and Sascha Paeth... well, wow.  The Scarecrow is packed with 11 beastly tracks, and doesn’t disappoint for a single, solitary second.  The follow up double album combination nearly equals it.  I wouldn’t say there’s ‘filler’ in either The Wicked Symphony or Angel of Babylon, but those weren’t able to sustain the sheer awesomeness that The Scarecrow did.

Those that followed my first top 50 know of the love I gave to Arjen’s projects (two Star One and two Ayreon made that list), largely because of the vocal and musical diversity he delivers with such a wide range of talent.  Well, the honors in that department go to Tobias Sammet this time around.  Where Arjen writes grandiose stories spanning multiple albums, and Ayreon tends to be a keyboard led style of prog, Tobias does the same but in a prog-symphonic-power metal way.  In case you hadn’t figured it out after 47 entries, that’s the kind of music that I’ve been most attracted to over the last few years.

Before we get into the top 2, I have a related honorable mention for The Scarecrow Saga, and this is going to be as long as (perhaps longer than) some of the earlier entries.  It’s kinda cheating to get another entry in, but it can’t go unmentioned. 

2.5) Avantasia - The Flying Opera (2011)

Track to try - Promised Land
(this really should be ranked 3.5, but I had to get the writeup on the above three stated first)

Around The World in 20 Days ... hitting Europe, Asia and South America in 2008.  Fuck Europeans, Asians, and South Americans!  Actually, fuck North Americans for not appreciating metal enough to bring the best acts here for shows/tours.  What I would do to see Avantasia (cost effectively).  Filmed over two shows (Wacken Open Air Festival, and Czech Monsters of Rock), this is an absolutely essential DVD to any metal collection.  It’s flawless... absolutely flawless.  Tobias is on fire and a fantastic front man; Jorn owns the stage and slays his performances; Matos is a beast; Catley is almost preacher-like in his delivery; Kai Hansen fills in for Alice Cooper amazingly; Somerville provides so much passion and is beyond brilliant in a backing role - and you know it’s a monster cast of vocalists when Amanda Somerville is your BACKING vocalist (along with Cloudy Yang).  Musically, Hartman and Paeth form the musical dynamic duo on guitars, and Felix Bohnke is a monster on the skins... dripping with sweat the entire time.  You know when a live performance is so good that it’s borderline painful to listen to the studio version of a song... yeah, that’s what it’s like with all 16 tracks on this one.  There isn’t a single track here that I would rather hear the studio version.  I’ll still listen to the studio albums, but can’t do so without visualizing the performances from the DVD, or wishing deep down that I was listening to the live version.  As I said, this is as essential to my DVD collection – as much as Score, LSFNY, Rush in Rio, End of An Era, How The West Was Won, Operation:Livecrime and Live On Earth. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25:12 PM »
The Scarecrow Saga is truly amazing, one of the best power metal offerings that I've heard (though I'll concede that it isn't pure power metal, but it certainly has its roots there). The new album is pretty great as well, certainly better than Angel of Babylon or The Wicked Symphony, taken on their own.

I wouldn't quite agree with the necessity of The Flying Opera, though. Maybe it's because I have only heard the audio parts, but I didn't have the same reaction to it that you had. Yeah, half of the versions are better than the studio versions, but I really dislike the long banter part during Sign of the Cross / The Seven Angels. They should have just cut it and played both songs in full.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #417 on: April 19, 2013, 01:13:27 PM »
My love for Avantasia is a huge thing. I really enjoy them all. The dvd of the Flying Opera was really good, not heard the cd version as I prefer to watch live albums than just listen these days.

I'll track down the Frameshift and get back to you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: April 19, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
My love for Avantasia is a huge thing. I really enjoy them all. The dvd of the Flying Opera was really good, not heard the cd version as I prefer to watch live albums than just listen these days.

I'll track down the Frameshift and get back to you.

I bought it as a combined DVD/CD set, but like you... I prefer watching over JUST listening to live concerts whenever possible.

As for Frameshift... click the Human Grain link and the whole album is up to try at Grooveshark.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: April 19, 2013, 04:58:42 PM »
One of my fav bands, although I still think the debut is Avantasia's best.  ;D

The CD/DVD is incredible.