Author Topic: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Stick a fork in this .... It's done!  (Read 47966 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - hawt chicks: vocally and visually
« Reply #280 on: January 29, 2013, 12:09:18 PM »
There's two I've never heard of, so now at 17/28

Oh, the irony... since I discovered progstreaming.com because of your album!

And I'll bitch-slap anyone who posts that I'm using "irony" wrong.   >:(  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #281 on: January 29, 2013, 12:40:02 PM »
Too easy.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #282 on: January 29, 2013, 01:05:45 PM »
That Beautiful Sin album is some hot stuff.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: January 29, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »
Magali is the one and only  :heart

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #284 on: January 29, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
I dunno, I think these women are hotter:

Simone Simons
Sharon ven Adel
Floor Jansen
Tarja
Martina Hornbacher

and that's just off the top of my head.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: January 29, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »
I didn't say Manda and Magali were the HOTTEST two chicks, just that they are hawt.  I mean, they're better (visually) than Ann Wilson!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
I dunno, I think these women are hotter:

Simone Simons
Sharon Den Adel
Floor Jansen
Tarja
Martina Hornbacher

and that's just off the top of my head.

:heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

The others not so much.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: January 30, 2013, 03:01:55 AM »

Scorpion doesn't agree.

I agree though, amazing album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2013, 03:58:15 AM »

Scorpion doesn't agree.

I agree though, amazing album.

Oh come on. As I said, I liked it fair enough, the rest during that round was just better. No need to be like this. :(
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: January 30, 2013, 04:01:12 AM »
I'm just joking man, I really couldn't care less to be honest, don't take it so seriously.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2013, 04:09:00 AM »
Well, it did sound a fair share more serious than it was probably intended. All good, though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #291 on: January 30, 2013, 04:26:22 AM »
:tup Nemesea

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2013, 08:38:25 AM »
I know I'm just a tad behind but I wanted to comment on Amaranthe. As I said in another thread, I really want to like this band, but I feel they're too samey. Well I'm listening again, and much like into Eternity, I can tolerate the growls because they are done tastefully, melodically, whatever, but I don't think the band really needs them (Amaranthe, not Into Eternity), although I don't see them disappearing anytime soon. That being said, goddamn this band is catchy as fuck. As far as the female vocals, I've been trying to find more bands like this vocally, cause I'm not really into the operatic style of old Nightwish anymore. I just really like the poppy style female vocals over metal, and this does the trick. Although the album is on the samey side, it's definitely an enjoyable listen and I can see it growing on me even more.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #293 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »
Nearly a week with no updates...  :police:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »
Anyone know where Chad has disappeared too?  :'(

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2013, 04:23:26 PM »
Just touched base with him today. All good, he'll be back.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: February 26, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »
Sweet

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: March 26, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
Back by lack of any demand whatsoever....

For those that don't watch the stickied threads, I shall continue once 'da fox' is done his list.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Intermission is almost over
« Reply #298 on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:20 AM »
I guess I will continue to follow..........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: March 27, 2013, 04:26:44 AM »
FOLLOWING!!!!!!  :censored :censored :censored :censored :censored

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: March 27, 2013, 05:03:46 AM »
Rock on!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: March 29, 2013, 06:07:45 AM »
Ok, so with Crazy's list almost a week without an update, and Doc busier than a one-legged-man in an ass-kicking contest, I'm gonna go since there's only Rich's list active.

22) Threshold – Subsurface (2004)

Tracks to try ... Ground Control, Mission Profile, Pressure
So I get this PM out of the blue from Doc late in 2011 saying I should check these guys out, and he links me to Dead Reckoning.  I have a listen, and while it was really good, I wasn’t floored at first.  I was intrigued enough to check out the rest of them though, and it dawned on me that this was the band that Damian Wilson (who at the time I loved predominantly through his contributions to Star One and Ayreon) was accredited too.  But Dead Reckoning didn’t sound at all like Wilson :lolpalm:.  A little investigation was due.  Little did I know that there were 8 studio albums under their belt.  Went and sampled a few (ironically, I first landed on a compilation CD)... and I was sold – hook, line and sinker.  I can’t believe that I didn’t dig deep into them given my love for Wilson’s voice.  There are two school’s of fandom for Threshold... those that prefer Mac, and those that prefer Wilson.  I’ll go with the latter, but just by a smidge.  Subsurface is the fourth album with Mac’s vocals, and this one settled in the zone that I most love – great heavy tracks, a couple of slower paced ones, a 10 minute monster, and even a ballad.  Karl Groom (Guitars) and Richard West (keys) do the bulk of the writing and production, and here they combine a great blend of heavy guitars, flowing keyboards, and an ultra-tight rhythm section.  Seriously, they are so tight on this album, it almost stings... but in a good way.  The first two opening tracks (Mission Profile and Ground Control) are as good as any opening pair, ever.

Related Honorable Mention: Clone.  You’d think with my love of concept/thematic albums, Clone would be here, but there’s a certain ‘je ne sais quoi’ that leads me to prefer Subsurface.  Clone is damn good though.

21) Roswell Six – Terra Incognita:Beyond the Horizon (2009)

Tracks to try ... The Winds of War, I Am The Point, Beyond the Horizon
April 1st, 2012.  No fooling.  Last year’s spring sale at TheRecordLabel.net provided a few awesome haul’s (some showing up on the list and honorable mentions), this being the best of the bunch (oh, and this year's sale just started - go there nao!).  I was actually looking at the second Roswell Six album, as it was musically composed by Henning Pauly, but Nick insisted this was crucial as well... and with JLB as one of the lead vocalists, how can one resist?  This album has a rather unique story behind it.  It was actually the brainchild of novelist Kevin J. Anderson – along with his wife Rebecca, Shawn Gordon (owner of the label), Erik Norlander, Lana Lane, and bassist Kurt Barabass (see Amaran’s Plight, #42)... they all met in Roswell, NM, hence the name Roswell Six.  The album is based on Anderson’s novel “The Edge of the World”, the first in a fantasy trilogy.  It has an incredibly impressive lineup... musically you’ve got Gary Wehrkamp, Chris Quirarte (Prymary), Chris Brown (Ghost Circus) accompanying Kurt.  Vocally, Lane and LaBrie as mentioned, along with Michael Sadler (Saga) and John Payne (one-time with Asia).  All deliver stunning performances.  I had heard some of Norlander’s music before casually, but this album cemented me as a fan – and wow... Lana Lane.  Her nickname ‘Queen of Symphonic Rock’ is pretty spot on (rock, not metal... lest the Simone/Floor/Sharon fans offer an argument).  Norlander is heavy into the keyboards, along with grand and sweeping melodies both on the keys and all manner of strings.  This is a great symphonic album, with lots of recurring melodies, diverse range of songs – ballads, instrumentals, moody/soulful, upbeat/rockin... all perfectly accompany Anderson’s lyrical adaptation of the novel.  I ended up loving the album so much, that I bought the novels – which are fantastic if you’re a sci-fi/fantasy reader.

Related Honorable Mention: Terra Incognita: A Line in the Sand. Henning Pauly’s written contribution to the novel trilogy - for the second book.  There are some lineup changes, with additional contributions from Steve Walsh, Arjen Lucassen, Alex Froese, and one of my fave female vocalists ever, Canadian Sass Jordan.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - restart complete (#22/21)
« Reply #302 on: March 29, 2013, 06:58:07 AM »
Subsurface is probably my second or third favorite Threshold album, behind Hypothetical and maybe March of Progress.  The funny thing is Clone would contend for my least favorite Threshold album even though I like that album.  In general I've prefered the Mac albums, but I tend to like the early Damien albums more than most Threshold fans.

And while the Terra Incognita album isn't bad, I'd take most Threshold over it.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: March 29, 2013, 07:05:34 AM »
Threshold are alright, I never really got into 'em. I actively dislike Terra Incognito though. IMO, it's a bad album that, despite featuring JLB, shockingly few people here picked up on, and for good reason. But I probably won't follow this thread much, just to avoid becoming a malevolent troll. But I will say that, if jingle.boy where in my car, he wouldn't be anywhere near the radio :D ;) ;)

And we wouldn't be turning on red... lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: March 29, 2013, 07:25:16 AM »
Threshold are alright, I never really got into 'em. I actively dislike Terra Incognito though. IMO, it's a bad album that, despite featuring JLB, shockingly few people here picked up on, and for good reason. But I probably won't follow this thread much, just to avoid becoming a malevolent troll. But I will say that, if jingle.boy where in my car, he wouldn't be anywhere near the radio :D ;) ;)

And we wouldn't be turning on red... lol

:rollin :rollin 

*rage honks*

It's all good.  I can take any comments/criticisms.  I appreciate it.  While it's nice to have people simply agree with my musical tastes (because I'm the best in the world at what I listen to), it's perfectly acceptable for anyone to have their own opinions - they'll just have to understand that they are wrong!   :lol :lol  jk.  Not sure if you've peeked at the list so far (I think the last page has a summary).  Gotta think there's something in there you'll agree with.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: March 29, 2013, 07:32:23 AM »
I did look at the summary. About 1/3rd I don't know, 1/3rd I know but don't like, and maybe 1/3rd I kinda like. I do love me some Seventh Wonder and SymX's Mythology Suite.

I guess for me progressive metal is becoming increasingly like a "musical theater" combination. I like prog, and I like metal, but for some reason when you put the two together it's almost always cheesy, even though it sounds like it'd be good. I tend to still like and listen to stuff I've heard from before, but it's very hard for me to get into new stuff now, and when I do I wind up just not really liking it.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #306 on: March 29, 2013, 09:55:51 AM »
I concur on the magnificence of Wilson's voice. It sold me on March of Progress.He is quickly becoming one of my favorite vocalists. Even though he's not on all Threshold album's, there is enough there that I plan on picking up the rest of their catalog.

Never heard of Roswell Six, gonna check out.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: March 29, 2013, 11:13:19 AM »
That's my issue with Wilson. I absolutely love his voice, but I can't stand Threshold. I really like him with Arjen, though.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #308 on: March 29, 2013, 11:25:50 AM »
That's my issue with Wilson. I absolutely love his voice, but I can't stand Threshold.
Tried Headspace? It might solve both your Wilson problem and your modern prog metal problem :)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: March 29, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »
That's my issue with Wilson. I absolutely love his voice, but I can't stand Threshold.
Tried Headspace? It might solve both your Wilson problem and your modern prog metal problem :)
I haven't, but just listening to the first song, I'm glad I did. The keys especially sound really good and unique.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #310 on: March 29, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
Not the biggest Threshold fan, though I liked most of Dead Reckoning. Not heard this album, will give it a go.

The Roswell Six albums got lumped in with the prog metal also rans- they didn't stand out at all from hundreds of others when I gave them a listen. Again, will give them another go.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #311 on: March 29, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »

Maybe I need to give that one a few more spins, but after the few I have given it, not even Wilson was able to elevate that album into something very memorable. Headspace just hasn't clicked for me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: March 29, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »
Headspace was kinda middle of the road for me as well - it was good, but I haven't gone back to it much.  I think Roswell Six (this one with Norlander) is kinda hit and miss.  I have a feeling it will be a 'miss' for you Paul.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #313 on: March 29, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »
The Headspace album has just recently started clicking for me.  It's awesome!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: March 31, 2013, 12:30:39 AM »
20) Frameshift – Unweaving the Rainbow (2003)

Tracks to try ... La Mer, The Gene Machine, Origins and Miracles
It’s early September 2011.  I’ve pre-ordered my copy of A Dramatic Turn of Events.  Impatient however, I’m previewing the leaks, but alas, no lyrics.  So, I go searching online for them... most are posted.  However, for This is the Life, the lyrics I found are nothing like what the song is.  WTF.  Something about a river and Eden.  A little more investigation suggests that this is indeed a song with James LaBrie on the mic.  So what the hell!?!?  I’m now led to discovering Frameshift, and all things Henning Pauly (thanks for the extra push Mason).  Holy hell this is one excellent album – truly in the prog vein of early Genesis, Spock’s Beard and the like.  Pauly takes his inspiration on the lyrical theme from the writings of Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist.  Every song touches on a different concept about human evolution, and this is yet another album on this list with an extremely diverse range of musical styles – ambient, atmospheric, folk, funk, metal, orchestral, rock, and what might almost be considered dance.  In 2003, James proves he’s truly on the rise again.  Having just finished ToT, then this, on to The Human Equation, then Octavarium and Elements of Persuasion in 2005.  Wow... quite a string of strong performances – each uniquely different.  With James on top of his game, Pauly took the opportunity to write several different vocal layers, and with more than a few a capella moments for James to truly shine.  Pauly’s talent knows no ends, as he handles all the musical responsibilities (sans drums), arrangements, production... the whole gambit.  There are a few musical minds in this day and age I consider to be in the ‘genius’ category, and Pauly is definitely one of them.

19) Flying Colors – Flying Colors (2012)

Tracks to try ... Blue Ocean, Kayla, Infinite Fire
What the hell could go wrong with a lineup of two Morse’s, Portnoy, Dave LaRue and Casey McPherson?  Absolutely nothing with a capital N!  In fact, just the opposite... everything is right about this album.  From a purely prog standpoint, this is one of the releases of the year from 2012.  This album starts out with its best foot forward in Blue Ocean, and then puts it into cruise control for the rest of the album... and when you’ve already been musically slapped senseless and “Wow’d” beyond belief, cruise control sounds and feels pretty damn fine.  I’d never heard Casey McPherson before this, and man he’s got a smooth voice... like a nice 12 year old scotch, it just goes down incredibly smooth, and hits you with a certain undeniable warmth.  And Morse... well, I highly doubt anyone following this list hasn’t heard something from him.  He’s a sonic treat.  18 months into the split, and I believe it’s this album that shows definitively that MP leaving Dream Theater was a good thing for both of them.  Portnoy has been able to be in ‘constant motion’, and this particular project proved he excels when collaborating with a variety of musicians (although, he and Neal clearly make a magical pairing), with fantastic results all around.  Portnoy’s drumming is clean and crisp, the Morse’s work wonderfully in tandem, and LaRue has some impeccable and captivating moments.  The band gives lots of different styles in the 12 tracks, keeping the album fresh even after dozens of listens.  I can’t wait for their live blu-ray to come out sometime this year.