Author Topic: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Stick a fork in this .... It's done!  (Read 47947 times)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Strangers and Lies!!!
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
TKOS is my favorite SB album. They were firing on all cylinders.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2013, 03:37:38 AM »
That Starbreaker album is absolutely perfect, still listen to it regulary, it's just incredible.  Great combo, Karlsson and Harnell.  And this really showed Magnus spread his wings early on a little in terms of style, as opposed to a lot of his most recent outputs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »
Spock's Beard is a band I still haven't gotten into. They're probably the most well established prog band I don't own anything from. I know I should correct that.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
Spock's Beard is a band I still haven't gotten into. They're probably the most well established prog band I don't own anything from. I know I should correct that.

Yes, you should.  While everyone has their own personal preferences, you can pretty much start anywhere. I think it's generally accepted that Feel Euphoria and Spock's Beard are their least best albums, but even in saying that, they're still very good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2013, 03:24:40 AM »
I think I own 2 or 3 SB albums, but never really delve into them, I should get them out.  I don't even know what albums I have.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - SyFy + X (but which one?)
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2013, 08:25:07 AM »
32) Stargate – Beyond Space and Time (2012)

Tracks to Try ... Save the World, Age of Aquarius, The Power Within
So, I’m sitting in the airport in San Antonio last summer, and I get this Spotify/FB message from RJ telling me to check this album out.  Sure, what the hell??,  I got a few minutes to spare.  I click play, and after song 2 (song 1 is an introductory setup), my response is “Mother of god that was spectacular”.  If you want a real review of this, head on over to LadyObscure.com - https://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/stargate-beyond-space-and-time/.  I can’t really do anything better than the good chef already said.  So, I’ll simply paraphrase ... and by paraphrase, I mean copy-and-paste. 

The instant the opener ends, the album jumps into high gear, and rarely lets up.  With the exception of the one “ballad”, every song is done at an overly caffeinated pace, but in a textured and competently balanced way. This relentlessness is one of many highlights of this band, echoing earlier prog metal pioneers who paved the way.  the maturity in their playing is very clear, these guys are familiar with each other’s boundaries, and push them at every opportunity. Keyboards are done as a background, a pacesetting and harmonic element. Bass is a lead and a rhythm element, a resounding heartbeat. Drums carry the beat, but with enough flair on the side to really stand out in a fantastic fashion. Vocalist Flavio Caricasole fits the music wonderfully, lows are done at a subdued tone, and most high notes are pure, though there are one or two that should have been re-thought.

31) Royal Hunt – X (2010)

Tracks to Try ... Army of Slaves, King For A Day, Blood Red Stars
Royal Hunt’s first 9 albums were incredibly keyboard led, not surprising with keyboardist Andre Andersen being the heart and soul of the band.  And it served them well.  This is Mark Boal’s second of two albums that he provided vocal duties for, and (in my opinion) is the better of the two.  The overall formula doesn’t change very much for this album – great vocal melodies, smart lyrics, a marching rhythm section, and backing vocals that add a ton of color to the songs.  However, in X they give a more guitar led album, and a more aggressive sound than most of the previous releases – hell, there are even songs without keyboard solo’s!  Andersen shows his diversity in this regard, and it serves the album well.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2013, 08:27:25 AM »
I think I own 2 or 3 SB albums, but never really delve into them, I should get them out.  I don't even know what albums I have.

If you want to get right to their best stuff, I'd say these are the best ones:

Neal Morse Era:
The Light
V
The Kindness of Strangers
Snow

Post Neal Morse Era:
X
Octane

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:04 AM »
Stargate :metal :metal :metal

It's one of the albums from last year I keep going back to just cause it's so much fucking fun!!!!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2013, 08:35:31 AM »
I did enjoy that Stargate album quite a bit, although to be honest, I never really warmed to the singer's voice.  It's not bad, per se, just....not really my cup of tea.  But I'd still give that album 3.5 / 5 stars

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2013, 01:03:23 PM »
Not really digging the Stargate track. It's ok I guess...

I ama big fan of Royal Hunt, and they don't often disappoint. X is a really good album but there are several I'd choose over it. this being newer stuff you've been exposed to though I see why it's here.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
I'm going to be biased here, but I can't imagine a non-D.C. Cooper Royal Hunt album being better than the first two he was on.  When I get my copy of X in a couple of days (assuming the USPS doesn't screw up like they did on Saturday) I'll be able to make a more definitive statement.

Just listened to Save the World.  Nice...but nothing special.  I can think of several bands I expect to see now that I know you have that should be higher than that, but you got both of these above Paradox so I'm pretty sure the list is already FUBAR  :biggrin:

Also, I think Barry and I have a psychic link.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2013, 04:31:45 PM »
I'm going to be biased here, but I can't imagine a non-D.C. Cooper Royal Hunt album being better than the first two he was on.  When I get my copy of X in a couple of days (assuming the USPS doesn't screw up like they did on Saturday) I'll be able to make a more definitive statement.

Just listened to Save the World.  Nice...but nothing special.  I can think of several bands I expect to see now that I know you have that should be higher than that, but you got both of these above Paradox so I'm pretty sure the list is already FUBAR  :biggrin:

Also, I think Barry and I have a psychic link.

Fear is their best for me. I prefer the John West albums to DCC.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2013, 04:47:09 PM »
Fear and The Mission were really good.  I don't blame their fall on the singer.  I just think:

Paradox > Moving Target >> Fear > The Mission >> everything else they've done >>> Eyewitness

And really, there aren't enough > signs to give my real opinion of Eyewitness.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »

If you want to get right to their best stuff, I'd say these are the best ones:

Neal Morse Era:
The Light
V
The Kindness of Strangers
Snow

Post Neal Morse Era:
X
Octane

Pretty sure I have Octane.  I need to get X, Collision Course was really good so I definitely need to check X if it's better.  I love Mark Boals too.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure the list is already FUBAR  :biggrin:

At least this list will get finished, so bite my left one.  :biggrin:

Tastes: why the fuck can't everyone just have the same as mine?  :rollin thankfully the man with the biggest knife around here has my back.

As I said with SB as well, when you get all albums of a discography within a short period of time, it's hard to distinguish the love for each of them when they're all as awesome as what RH and SB have put out. Yes, I even like Eyewitness. The margin of difference between how much I like each the albums in those two discography's isn't very wide.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2013, 12:27:52 AM »

Tastes: why the fuck can't everyone just have the same as mine?  :rollin thankfully the man with the biggest knife around here has my back.

Got it covered bro...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2013, 07:41:12 PM »
Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Also, I need an update to mock  :-*

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »
Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Also, I need an update to mock  :-*

I have a new nickname for you ... Venkman.

Give me 10 minutes or so, and I'll fire it up.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - There will be no mocking this update Doc
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
I dare you to mock me!

30) Ice Age – Liberation (2001)

Tracks to Try ... Musical Cages, When You’re Ready, To Say Goodby, Part III: Still Here.
I discovered these guys from a writeup on LadyObscure by yorost, and man oh man, what a great album (yes Mason, I know it was on your Top 50 under-rated, but I was staying away from listening to new items from that list until after my roulette... plus, no recognition for unfinished work!).  Liberation is their second effort, and unfortunately their last full-length album.  Right off the bat, you hear that vocalist/keyboardist Josh Pincus is a vocal dead-pan for Dennis DeYoung.  It’s eerie.  Given I’m a big fan of Styx, when you add this vocal sound in to some really great, complex, technical modern-day prog, and it’s a terrific recipe for awesome.  This album is mostly prog, but the band displays some excellent diversity with songs (or portions of) leanings towards a metal flair, ballads... but mostly comeback to a traditional prog musical sound with equal parts keyboards and guitar, both providing very dramatic chords, riffs, and melodies.  When You’re Ready in particular hits on pretty much all of those musical components.  Pincus gives the pipes a rest in Musical Cages - a monster of an instrumental, showcasing the band’s talent – not only their playing talent, but compositionally as well – perhaps more so.  12 tracks on this album, but 4 of them are mere interludes/segue between the real tunes – so it’s really 8 tracks/55 minutes.  That’s a solid track:time ratio for a modern prog album.

29) Tears of Anger – In The Shadows (2006)

Tracks to Try... Light Up My Fuse, In The Shadows, Full of Lies
Coming to the end of my roulette, I was eliminating participants in a playoff format, and RJ submitted a song with his heart, and not his head... and got the boots for it.  However, never one to take no for an answer, he still gave me some songs for what would have been the final round.  Too bad his heart betrayed him, because he just may have won given the songs he gave me, one of them being Light Up My Fuse from this album.  And wow... with band members that are (or have been) with Evergrey, Mind’s Eye, Beyond Twilight, and others, ‘twas a foregone conclusion that this would result in an :evilmonkey: instant purchase.  This album doesn’t get too far outside its own box – that box being balls out melodic metal.  And it’s a box I’m happy to stay in for my listening pleasure.  The longest track is 4:55, so you won’t find a lot of musical experimentation here.  I love the continuous head-bang-worthy killer and grinding guitar riffs.  The keyboard accompaniment is great, knowing when to jump in front and lead this parade, and when to stay in tow.  There’s impressive drum work that has its own dramatic flair.  And the vocals from Bjřrn Jansson make this a beauty album from the eponymous opening track, to the 12th and final one, I’m Coming Home. 

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
It's a shame that Ice Age didn't make more albums, because they showed tons of promise. The Guardian of Forever has one of my favorite choruses...ever. So dramatic. The Blood of Ages is also amazing. Every song on that album is good, but those are my faves.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: January 22, 2013, 09:31:01 PM »
It's a shame that Ice Age didn't make more albums, because they showed tons of promise. The Guardian of Forever has one of my favorite choruses...ever. So dramatic. The Blood of Ages is also amazing. Every song on that album is good, but those are my faves.

:iagree:  Top to bottom, it's A+.  I had a hard time calling out three tracks.  I could've picked any three outside the transition tracks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: January 22, 2013, 09:46:05 PM »
The Lhasa Road (No Surrender) is required listening.  It's the best song they ever did, so even in an update where you I shouldn't have had to mock you, here I am, forced to mock you.  Come at me bro (see picture above).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2013, 03:22:50 AM »
Another 2 to add.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2013, 04:07:26 AM »
I just played the Tears Of Anger track and "Light up my fuse, I'll explode in your face" just sounds so :zydar: :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2013, 05:27:40 AM »
The Lhasa Road (No Surrender) is required listening.  It's the best song they ever did, so even in an update where you I shouldn't have had to mock you, here I am, forced to mock you.  Come at me bro (see picture above).

:bringiton:

Now you're just reaching to come up with reasons.  Is that gun even real??  Looks like you got it from the garage sale of a former costume designer from The A-Team.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2013, 05:45:29 AM »
Doc, that gun picture is awesome :lol

Also, I don't know any of those two, I should add them to my list.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2013, 06:14:36 AM »
Another 2 to add.

I think you'd dig Tears of Anger for sure.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2013, 06:24:03 AM »
That's a real AK-47.

And you should get that Ice Age album Elite.  YouTube The Lhasa Road (No Surrender) and tell me that doesn't rock your face off.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2013, 06:36:28 AM »
That's a real AK-47.

Cool.  Maybe the new nickname should be "Face"?   :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
Absolutely LOVE that Ice Age album  :metal

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »
Absolutely LOVE that Ice Age album  :metal

I'm bound and determined to have an update where you don't know one or both!  Seriously, I think you are on top of everything I've fired off so far.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »
Ice Age - Liberation is quite the gem. It was a band on my radar for many years but never really pursued and eventually forgot about until, by luck, I saw this in the used cd section when perusing a store just a couple months ago. Had to pick it up. It must have been fate.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2013, 10:27:28 PM »
*gets electric cattle prod*

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:41 PM »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »
Well, I let no update Wednesday slide since that is wpapu day.  Thursday was the second consecutive time you went at least 2 days between updates so I broke out the electric cattle prod.