Author Topic: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Stick a fork in this .... It's done!  (Read 47956 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - time travel is a lost art
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
And I like that album a good deal.  I'm not going to give everything 4 or 5 stars, or a B or better.  I have a spine.

Also, get your facts straight: https://www.wpapu.com/rev064.html  B+, bitch.

B+ for that generic power metal??  Must've been aided by the bell curve.  It was allright, but hardly B+ material.  I had more respect for you when I thought it was B-   :lol

Then again, this is coming from a guy who thought Pulse for a Graveheart was bland.  Sometimes there's no accounting for good taste, right RJ?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »
So far I have listened to 0 of the albums listed
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2013, 01:16:26 PM »
Pulse for Graveheart I'm on the verge of giving up on.

Speaking of which, that Soul Secret album is on the brink too.  Just listened to it again... it's pretty unremarkable compared to the plethora of similar artists out there.  It is the very personification of this emotacon: :mehlin

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
As they say in French ... chacun son goût

We will agree to disagree.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2013, 10:45:13 AM »
Since you're Canadian:

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »
That GIF is fantastic.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:27 AM »
Only been 2 days.  :huh:   Will update tonight.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
Randy sure is eating alot of Blue Jay burgers.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2013, 11:19:01 PM »
Hmm, neither of those 2 album's doing much for me in the samples I heard. I'll have to give them a better look later, but they've got a lot of material in front of them.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - V (but which one?) + something to calm YBS a little
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2013, 06:16:50 AM »
hhhmmmm... surprised at the consistent "meh" on Soul Secret.  Oh well, them's tastes for ya!

On with the countdown....

36) The Magnificent – The Magnificent (2011)

Tracks to Try ... Memories, Cheated By Love, If It Takes All Night
While YtseBitsySpider’s bitterness for the lack of Circus Maximus output raged on, Michael Eriksen at least did some work to appease us by fronting this act, and popping out what is one of the best melodic rock albums of 2011.  Released on Frontier records – the home of melodic rock greatness – The Magnificent is a monster, and takes us back to the days when hair/glam metal ruled the airwaves.  None of the 12 songs top the 5 ½ minute mark, and no one will ever accuse the writing (musical or lyrical) to be very deep.  The usual song structure of intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus-outro is prominent, but who the hell cares?  Every single track is top notch, and super enjoyable.  With Michael's voice leading the way, catchy hooks, and fresh melodies, this album is gold (it’s gold Jerry!).  This album takes me right back 20+ years ago to all the late 80s albums that I loved, and really set my musical course.  These kinds of albums were in short supply the 90s, but I’m very thankful for the melodic resurgence of the last 10 years.

35) Symphony-X - V: The New Mythology Suite (2000)

Tracks to Try ... Evolution (The Grand Design), Communion and the Oracle, A Fool’s Paradise
When I did my first Top 50, there were two bands that were too difficult for me to pick a favorite album from (due to my aforementioned leap into an entire discography at once).  No one specifically got me in to Sypmhony-X, they just got enough love around hear that I had to check them out.  They are also the reason I wanted/needed to do this second Top 50 list.  There’s no way I could do a 'top' list without including Symphony-X.  Top to bottom, this album is 5 stars... and as I listen to this I can’t believe there are 35 albums I like better than this.  But, it’s true.  It’s a concept album (more thematic really) about fantastical and mythical societies (Atlantis, Egyptian mythology, aliens).  This is a masterful and well rounded effort by the band.  As much as I have a hard on for Allen’s voice, he doesn’t stand out here like in other SX albums – he weaves his vocals in and around the music so gracefully. Romeo and Pinella are flawless.  I don’t have enough good things to say about this album.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2013, 07:39:53 AM »
yeah, that SymX album is pretty dang good.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2013, 07:45:08 AM »
yeah, that SymX album is pretty dang good.

Indeed.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »
That was my first SyX album, and also my favorite.  It's beastmode in music form.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »
SyX is one of those bands that never clicked with me, i've tried numerous times but nothing special with me

Romeo came off as an Yngwie wanna be ( I am a Yngwie fan going back to his debut on the Steeler album) and the production on the albums always seems thin too me.

I hear lots of people saying Russell is a beast on vocals, but they just never registered with me , is he good ? Yes

Is he a top ten vocalist? not even close in my book

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »
Besides the debut, SX can do no wrong in my book.  Huge fan of Russells vocals.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »
I've given more attention to their albums recently since I've otherwise just listened to a few tracks per album. The Damnation Game is fast becoming a favourite, with Divine Wings and V as great ones too. I definitely prefer their earlier stuff (melodic prog) to the recent albums (PL and Iconoclast) which seems to be more heavy metal oriented.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »
I've given more attention to their albums recently since I've otherwise just listened to a few tracks per album. The Damnation Game is fast becoming a favourite, with Divine Wings and V as great ones too. I definitely prefer their earlier stuff (melodic prog) to the recent albums (PL and Iconoclast) which seems to be more heavy metal oriented.

Here here.  I like PL and Iconoclast well enough, but it doesn't compare to the earlier output - debut notwithstanding.  Can we just forget that even exists?

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »
V is outstanding, very Top 50 worthy. By far their most complete work. Gonna be very interesting to see what 34 albums you think could top that one.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
being that I more a metal guy (my favorite period of time was the late 80's early 90's thrash) would the later albums appeal to me more (PL or Iconoclast)  I know its not thrash but is it heavier than the earlier output

(ps also a big fan of the Shrapnel record days...) so I can appreciate a shred guitarist
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
Try Paradise Lost then.  Meatier than Iconoclast, and less filler.  Iconoclast is like Chinese takeout.   :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2013, 01:36:25 PM »
That Magnificent album is pretty good- I don't have the same love for it many do. Not sure why really- maybe it's just a bit same-y and that takes the shine off.

That is my fave SX album, though I do like the earlier albums nearly as much. Another band I should love but again, with the later output it's all a bit frantic, and Russell doesn't have the chance to shine- he's too busy being Mr Metal these days.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »
SyX is one of those bands that never clicked with me, i've tried numerous times but nothing special with me

Romeo came off as an Yngwie wanna be ( I am a Yngwie fan going back to his debut on the Steeler album) and the production on the albums always seems thin too me.

I hear lots of people saying Russell is a beast on vocals, but they just never registered with me , is he good ? Yes

Is he a top ten vocalist? not even close in my book

Couldn't agree more.

being that I more a metal guy (my favorite period of time was the late 80's early 90's thrash) would the later albums appeal to me more (PL or Iconoclast)  I know its not thrash but is it heavier than the earlier output

(ps also a big fan of the Shrapnel record days...) so I can appreciate a shred guitarist

Paradise Lost is pretty damn solid. So yes, go for it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
The Magnificent is an amazing melodic rock record.  IMO, it didn't age as well as say the latest WET, Danger Danger, Treat or Pretty Maids, but an incredible sound and really really catchy songs, hope for another album from the duo.

V is of course awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2013, 02:31:54 PM »
Better late than never!

Always happy to see Paradox on a list, regardless of the hate the band has gotten that album has always stood out amongst Royal Hunt fans and has always come across fantastic to anybody I know that loves progressive metal. Of course I'm also happy to see DC pop up again on Amaran's Plight, but I do think Paradox is the better album.

Symphony X is a band where any of probably 5 albums I couldn't argue with any or all of them being in a top 50. To me their one problem is to this day they've put out a lot of really great albums, but they never put out that defining masterpiece that stands out amongst the rest.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
Symphony X is a band where any of probably 5 albums I couldn't argue with any or all of them being in a top 50. To me their one problem is to this day they've put out a lot of really great albums, but they never put out that defining masterpiece that stands out amongst the rest.

I guess that just comes down personal preference. Personally, both V and TDWOT would fit the bill of Masterpiece.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »
I don't have any Symphony X, but I'm listening to that track that you have linked in your write up. It's pretty cool. :tup
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2013, 05:29:51 AM »
I don't have any Symphony X, but I'm listening to that track that you have linked in your write up. It's pretty cool. :tup

Oh boy, you are about to go on a nice musical discovery. Stay tuned!

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
Definitely keep checking out Sym X there Cedar, they are one of the Tier 1 bands in progressive metal. You can start just about anywhere in their catalog (minus the debut) and get a pretty good idea what they are all about.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2013, 11:16:44 AM »
If he starts with PL, it's only going to get better.  They've gone downhill significantly the last two albums and have moved toward boring.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »
If he starts with PL, it's only going to get better.  They've gone downhill significantly the last two albums and have moved toward boring.

WURD

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Strangers and Lies!!!
« Reply #170 on: January 19, 2013, 05:10:06 AM »
34) Spock’s Beard – The Kindness of Strangers (1998)

Tracks to Try ... Harm’s Way (that instrumental section at 7:00!), June, The Good Don’t Last
And this was the other band that necessitated a 2nd Top 50 list.  Having to choose from 9 of their albums that I got all within the span of a few months of each other (just after the release of their s-t) was impossible for my first top 50.  So, this time around I’m thankfully unencumbered, and can focus a list just on my musical discoveries just of the last 7 years... of which Spock’s Beard plays a big part.  From SB, (and I’m sure this applies to pretty much all of us) I branched out into everything Neal Morse has touched.  These were the guys that made me realize prog – pure progressive rock... no metal – was alive and well in our generation.  I was never a super huge fan of the prog monsters from the 70s (Yes, Genesis, Kansas etc ...).  However, SB made me a fan of progressive rock.  Their creativity knows no bounds, and no matter what the lineup, they are five of the best artists at their respective craft making.  And when you’ve got Neal Morse doing most of the writing on this one ... *swoons*.  Really not sure there’s an adjective I can find to describe how talented the guy is.  I know there will be flack for my album rankings for SB, but when you’ve got 10 albums as strong as theirs are, you’re gonna end up with a very wide and diverse opinion – especially when their worst album smoke’s the best album from most bands.

33) Starbreaker – Starbreaker (2005)

Tracks to Try... Lies, Turn it Off, Dragonfly
The king of wolves introduced me to these guys in the final round of my roulette, and knocked my fuckin socks off with “Lies”.  Intelligent lyrics, intelligent writing, and exceptional melodic rock sounds coming from the inaugural album from these guys. With Tony Harnell (TNT) leading the effort, and Magnus Karlsson contributing, how could I not instantly love this?  Considering how much he’s contributed to that I love (and stay tuned for more), this was a sure-fire hit.  Another great act on Frontier Records, this is one that should not be missed by any melodic rock fan.  What we hear top to bottom is killer rock tunes with mostly guitar-led melodies, and just a smattering of keyboards here and there.  Couple of slower paced tracks to make sure things don’t get too ‘samey’ provide the right amount of variety.  In lots of places, the rhythm section gets pretty funky and creative, also avoiding any ‘samey-ness’ that can often plague this style of music.  Throw in a nice instrumental at the end, and you have a really sweet 12-track album.

Related Honorable Mention: Love’s Dying Wish.  The sophomore effort from them is another beauty.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:38:01 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2013, 05:31:42 AM »
Love Morse era SB.

And Starbreaker (and Magnus Karlsson in general) is excellent. Great songs, great performances, Melody with muscle. Tony Harnell's best work too.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2013, 06:53:13 AM »
The Spock's Beard album that got me into them!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2013, 09:41:39 AM »
This was my introduction to SB as well.  I personally prefer V, but there really isn't a lot of separation in terms of their albums, particularly their top half albums of which this is definitely one.  My major gripe is that you left off Flow, which I think is the most underappriciated SB song of all time.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »
June is a great song, the first SB I ever heard.