Author Topic: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - Stick a fork in this .... It's done!  (Read 47949 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - More Jorn, and a one-time supergroup
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »
Masterplan 2 is quality, probably my favourite of theirs. Heard AP a good while ago and don't remember much about it other than it was pretty typical prog metal. Stellar lineup though. Will have to listen again as I trust your judgement in these things Chad.

Took a few spins to really appreciate.  It's a beast... almost 80 minutes.  The three 10+ minute songs can be a chore at first, but there's some awesome music in there.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »
Tried that Masterplan album, it just didn't stick to my ribs.  I do love the Beyond Twilight stuff that he's on though.  And that Amaran's Plight album is great - that was one of those $2.00 specials from The Laser's Edge.  Well worth it.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2013, 12:26:45 PM »
picked up the Amaran's Plight   it was okay  didn't blow me away ..but than again  I have yet to find a prog-metal band that didn't come off as a second class DT to me..

I know I'm missing out on alot with this thinking , the only band that has really stirred my interest in them is Eumeria recently and maybe its because they are clones almost to the point that its a blatant rip-off of DT

Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
picked up the Amaran's Plight   it was okay  didn't blow me away ..but than again  I have yet to find a prog-metal band that didn't come off as a second class DT to me..

I know I'm missing out on alot with this thinking , the only band that has really stirred my interest in them is Eumeria recently and maybe its because they are clones almost to the point that its a blatant rip-off of DT

Well, we are still only in the 40s Bill.  Pace yourself.  There's bound to be something forthcoming that might pique your interest.

Barry... at $2, your damn right you got your money's worth.  I think I paid full price for it at ProgRock Records, and it was worth it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »
Masterplan 2 is great, it was my first of theirs and I think it's probably their best edging out their self titled debut.

Amaran's Plight I have yet to check out, but has been on my wishlist for some time now. For some reason, I tend to prioritize Super Group album's a little lower, so it may be awhile before I pick it up.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2013, 04:20:15 PM »
Masterplan  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Everyone knows where I stand on that band, incredible.

AP, is a terrific album.  I actually picked it up in the clearance bin for $5 and laughed after I discovered the deal I got.  Great album with some incredible names.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2013, 04:29:15 PM »
and Kurt Barabas (nobody you know) on bass.

Actually, I do know Under the Sun and they were quite good. Never heard Amaran's Plight, though.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2013, 04:58:44 PM »
and Kurt Barabas (nobody you know) on bass.

Actually, I do know Under the Sun and they were quite good. Never heard Amaran's Plight, though.

Well, then you're the first I've ever heard of.  There's more to come of Kurt.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »
The story so far:

50) Amaranthe – Amaranthe (2011)
49) After Forever – After Forever (2007)
48) Lord – Set in Stone (2009)
47) Magnitude 9 – Reality in Focus (2000)
46) Prymary – The Enemy Inside (2009)
45) Darwin’s Radio – Template for A Generation (2010)
44) Royal Hunt – Paradox (1997)
43) Jørn – Out To Every Nation (2004)
42) Amaran’s Plight – Voice in the Light (2007)
41) Masterplan – Aeronautics (2005)

I'd be curious to know how everyone's doing so far.

Update tonight or tomorrow morning.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
So Jingle do you like prog metal, or....?

:P

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2013, 01:16:24 PM »
Only got a measly 2/10 so far, 3/14 if you count the honorable mentions. At least I've got a list of a few more things to check out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »

So Jingle do you like prog metal, or....?

:P

Never tried to hide it.

Like my first top 50, there ain't a lot of variety here – this list will be about as diverse as a ‘60s Klan convention. I know what I like, and I stick to it.  I said it to open my first Top 50, and it's worth repeating.  You won't find any bands/albums that require the words "post" or "core" to describe their style/genre. This time around, the only thing missing is classic and glam rock.  It's gonna be pretty much Melodic and Prog ... Ranging from pure prog, to some pretty heavy metal.  If that kinda music doesn't float your boat, no sweat. Just want everyone to know what they’re in for. 

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »
Oh yeah I know man, I'm just being a dipshit.  No worries- I like prog metal too!  :D

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2013, 02:27:57 PM »
2 out of 10

Magnitude 9 – Reality in Focus
Amaran’s Plight – Voice in the Light

Offline Lowdz

Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - The story so far
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
6 so far for me. I expect there'll be plenty more  ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - PelleK + Bill, you gotta try this one
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2013, 06:18:17 AM »
40) Damnation Angels – Bringer of Light (2012)

Tracks to Try ... Pride (The Warrior’s Way), I Hope, Bringer of Light

Here is the reason that The Anabasis got bumped.  As soon as I discovered these guys (fronted by PelleK -  pronounced Pella-Kay), the symphonic prog-metal that these guys pound out just feels like such a better fit for his voice and style than pure-prog.  Sorry Barry.  They formed in Britain late 2006, and as previously mentioned, are fronted by the brilliant vocalist PelleK.  What strikes me most about this band/album is the extremely well rounded compositions they have.  With all the familiar sounds that I love (symphonic elements like Nightwish, hugely powerful vocals like Circus Maximus, grinding guitar melodies like Symphony X, and ripping guitar solos like Dream Theater), they still manage to create a sound uniquely their own.  PelleK has an amazing voice and range, that words can do no justice.  You must listen to truly appreciate.  It’s reminiscent of a pre-vocal injury James LaBrie.  All in all, a very high quality album from start to finish, highlighted by the 10 minute Pride (The Warrior’s Way).

Related Honorable Mention: PelleK’s 2012 solo Bag of Tricks.  Less symphonic this time, more melodic.  Still great stuff.

39) Lost In Thought – Opus Arise (2011)

Tracks to Try... Blood Red Diamond, New Times Awaken, Beyond the Flames.

It’s criminal that I only have this in the 40s, that’s how good this album is.  Come back to me in a year, and this would likely be top 20 – nahh.... top 10, it just keeps getting better with every listen.  This came to me twice within a couple of weeks – first from Nem out of the blue, and then Nick played Blood Red Diamond on WPaPU.  These guys bring the full complement of prog-metal weapons - complex musicianship, but not so complex that it feels out of place, blazing solo’s (including some sweet keyboard/guitar duel’s), dynamic range of keyboard sounds... and more than a couple homage’s to their influences – with some specific nods to Dream Theater.  Reminds me a lot of Circus Maximus’ first effort ... great compositions, excellent musical talent and the vocals – wowzer!  They knock your socks off with the very first verse of Beyond the Flames, and then just keep getting impressing throughout the album.  Nate Loosemore (vocals) is pretty fuckin amazing, with a very similar sound and range to Johnny Tatum of Eumeria if you’re familiar with that band.  For a first album, this is really impressive, and I’m kinda bummed the album they were working on in 2012 (got as far as working in the studio) seems to be on indefinite hold... hopefully not cancelled outright.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2013, 06:25:09 AM »
That Lost In Thought album sounds like a must-try, aside from specific nods to Dream Theater, unless their approach to specific nodding is different from Circus Maximus' (though, since you have mentioned them, it most likely isn't :D), but that's not a really big detractor anyway. Tried Damnation Angels before but I passed on them, they are good but it doesn't sit right with me right now.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
never heard of either, checking out samples of Lost in Thought at the moment. This one is going near the top of my quickly expanding wish list.

Checking Amazon, it says the Damnation Angels - Bringer of Light album is not yet released. Maybe that's just in the US.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:47:38 AM by Orthogonal »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
It was released March of 2011, and I can see it on Amazon.com - but because they are signed to a Japanese label for that album, it's an import pretty much everywhere - $40+ for the physical copy..  You may want to look at Amazon .mp3 download ($9 there). 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2013, 04:38:52 AM »
Two more to add to the list.  I know 5 so far.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2013, 05:30:22 AM »
Just an FYI, chad, but for the next album, we're going to be taking more of an Ayreon approach, with PelleK, a female vocalist who shall for the time being remain nameless, and the lead vocalist from Images of Eden, Gordon Tittsworth sharing the lead vox.  Oh, and the album will be FAR heavier than the debut.

I absolutely LOVE that "Lost in Thought" album, btw  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2013, 08:45:35 AM »
Just an FYI, chad, but for the next album, we're going to be taking more of an Ayreon approach, with PelleK, a female vocalist who shall for the time being remain nameless, and the lead vocalist from Images of Eden, Gordon Tittsworth sharing the lead vox.  Oh, and the album will be FAR heavier than the debut.

I absolutely LOVE that "Lost in Thought" album, btw  :tup

:caffeine:  sounds awesome man!  That will definitely be an instant purchase.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2013, 08:53:40 AM »
I've got two so far, you weren't kidding about this list's potential damage effect to my wallet.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2013, 09:50:30 AM »
Sorry mang.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »
It was released March of 2011, and I can see it on Amazon.com - but because they are signed to a Japanese label for that album, it's an import pretty much everywhere - $40+ for the physical copy..  You may want to look at Amazon .mp3 download ($9 there).

Weird, even though they list a price, it isn't actually purchasable, it says it will be available on Feb 22, 2013.

https://www.amazon.com/Bringer-of-Light/dp/B00B094MXG/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1358108172&sr=1-4&keywords=damnation+angels

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Jingle.boy's Top 50v2 - time travel is a lost art
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:44 AM »
38) Presto Ballet – The Lost Art of Time Travel (2008)

Tracks to Try ... The Mind Machine, One Tragedy at a Time, You’re Alive
During my roulette, King struck out the first couple of rounds.  Then, with Presto Ballet (specifically One Tragedy at a Time – who’s intro is a nice tip of the feathered cap to Yes and specifically “Leave It”), he struck pay dirt.  These guys rock it.  Great keyboard led prog music that is wonderfully produced.  It’s no wonder or surprise as soon as you listen to this album that the band was formed largely as a tribute to Yes, Kansas and those prog beasts of the 70s.  This is their 2nd release, and yet another gem in the arsenal of ProgRock Records (see Prymary #46).  I can’t describe them any better than they describe themselves on their website – “classic 70's feel, their songs herald a return to a time when music was at its most colorful and influential. With tasteful guitar parts, crunching Hammond organ and rich vocals the band faithfully follows the path blazed by their heroes so many years before”.  Colorful is a great adjective for their music.  The keyboard compositions bring about a wonderfully warm atmosphere to every single track – and there are only seven of them on this album, averaging 8:40 in length.  Ronny Munroe does a fantastic job on the vocals, providing DeYoung, Anderson (Jon... definitely Jon), and Walsh (not Joe!) type moments.  King, you’ve got some great shit in your 18,000 song library.  Thanks for this one.

Related Honorable Mention(s):  I just grabbed their latest two releases (again, therecordlabel.net) – Love What You’ve Done With The Place and Relic of the Modern World.  Both exemplary.

37) Soul Secret – Closer to Daylight (2011)

Tracks to Try... Rivers Edge, Aftermath, Pillars of Sand, Behind the Curtain
I’ll give a virtual tie to Nick and Nem on who helped me discover these guys, with the edge to Nem since she gave the nod to this album, and it is the one that makes this list.  Like Lost in Thought, it really pains me to leave this so low.  It’s just awesome prog-metal.  What these guys create is a smörgåsbord of all the sounds and elements of prog that I absolutely adore.  The 8 song album is filled with twists and nice little sonic surprises in every song.  There’s beastly drum work; pounding rhythms, aggressive guitars, raw and edgy vocals, keys that are smooth and soothing one moment, and violent in another, fantastic instrumental sections... all topped off with the obligatory time and key changes that are blissfully stitched together.  And what kind of prog-metal album would it be if there wasn’t a 10+ minute closer.  Epic is such an overused word in the world of prog music, but if there’s an ‘epic’ element to this album, it’s the almost 17 minute Aftermath - If Lost in Thought is like the next Circus Maximus, then these guys are like the next Redemption.

Related Honorable Mention: Flowing Portraits. Their initial release is bloody amazing too.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2013, 10:01:04 AM »
Sorry mang.

No you aren't.

Soul Secret is a solid album. :tup

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2013, 10:45:06 AM »
Presto Ballet  Question

This is a band I have been meaning too check out for along time as I am a huge fan of Kurdt's riff he wrote while in Metal Church. I know the band isn't even in the same category but how promiment (sp) are the guitars and riffs in general

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »
That Presto Ballet album is cool. The drummer is fantastic (I believe he's no longer in the band now), and so is the meaty production. Lots of Styx, Kansas, and Yes feel going on. I wish there were a couple more guitar solos though. There's a part in One Tragedy at a Time that's screaming for one.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »
I love the little "jazz odyssey" breakdowns in the Soul Secret songs I've listened to so far.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
Presto Ballet  Question

This is a band I have been meaning too check out for along time as I am a huge fan of Kurdt's riff he wrote while in Metal Church. I know the band isn't even in the same category but how promiment (sp) are the guitars and riffs in general

Guitar's are not very prominent, and they certainly aren't heavy at all ... I was more taken with the keyboard work.  Obviously, the guitars are there, and control the main riffs and melodies for the most part, but they didn't stick out to me as the driving force behind why I love the music.

I love the little "jazz odyssey" breakdowns in the Soul Secret songs I've listened to so far.

Yeah, I'm listening to Aftermath right now, and they got everything going on in this song.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »
In honor of this thread, I will listen to that Soul Secret album again.  It better be better this time around...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »
In honor of this thread, I will listen to that Soul Secret album again.  It better be better this time around...

Dude, you rated Burning Point/Ignitor a B-.  If it doesn't get at least a B+ in comparison to that, you're in Nick-fail territory.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:19 AM »
And I like that album a good deal.  I'm not going to give everything 4 or 5 stars, or a B or better.  I have a spine.

Also, get your facts straight: https://www.wpapu.com/rev064.html  B+, bitch.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »

Yeah, I've had that one for a while and it just hasn't really registered with me neither, but I, too, will give it another try.