Author Topic: 2013 Ten Thousand Mile Challenge v. Log it here!  (Read 30449 times)

Offline Ħ

Re: 2013 Ten Thousand Mile Challenge v. Log it here!
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »
Thanks guys for the advice!

Biking: 59 miles
Running: 39 miles

DTF Total: 497.9 miles
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »
2.1 miles elliptical...

Personal: 24 miles
DTF total:  500 miles (I would walk)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Fisi

« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
4.4 and 4.5 miles of running.

Personal total: 47.9 miles
DTF total:  508.9 miles

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »
3.0 this morning.

Personal total: 9.5
DTF Total: 518.4

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2013, 04:36:14 PM »
1/17/2013 - 6 Mile Trail Run at Mastadon State Park....they are calling for a couple more days of mild weather here in StL so I'm going to try and take advantage of it

Personal Total: 69 Miles

DTF Total:  524.4 miles
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
1/17/13: Took it incredibly easy today and I needed it. Easy pace. 8.7 miles.

Personal Total: 406.7 miles

DTF Total: 528.8 miles
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2013, 06:48:25 PM »
ResultsMayVAry.....have you ran enough to give me a comparrison on if your legs 'fatigue' the same...I mean, does it 'feel' different biking on tired legs than running on tired legs? When I run on tired legs it pretty much feels like one of those dreams where you're running as fast as you can but it feels like your not moving.
  I'm just curious because I've only really only biked once in a Sprint Triathalon. I bought the bike for $150 the day before the race....rode it 26 miles....then took it back to Walmart for a full refund. I know different muscles are being utilized...curious as to how the legs respond to fatigue.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »
They do, generally. But it all depends on the condition of your legs. Usually, you can go longer on a bike with fatigued legs than running, because you're more efficient with your energy on a bike than just running. I'm able to go a LOT further on the bike than running, but that's just me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »
So for the past two days....well, this is embarrassing...I've had some gastrointestinal problems. Really bad. Very little has come out. And running/biking/living in general has gotten very uncomfortable. I just want it to pass. I hate this feeling. :(
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »
So for the past two days....well, this is embarrassing...I've had some gastrointestinal problems. Really bad. Very little has come out. And running/biking/living in general has gotten very uncomfortable. I just want it to pass. I hate this feeling. :(

Should we get a conversion ready for 'time spent sitting on the toilet'.....ya know....for when it all decides to come out? :biggrin: That could be considered hard work depending on how it all comes out....literally.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2013, 09:51:31 PM »
I think that'd fall under the "Sports" category.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
Biking: 67 miles
Running: 41 miles

Biked 2 miles then got shinsplints. :( Then biked 8 miles.

DTF Total: 534.8 miles

Aaaand I blew. And feel great! In fact, I think I'll go back to the gym today for another round.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #152 on: January 18, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »
Biking: 71 miles
Running: 42 miles

DTF Total: 537.8 miles

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #153 on: January 18, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »
2 miles elliptical (gradually creeping up the pace, a couple of weeks ago was ~ 10 minute miles, now down to ~8:15)

Personal: 26 miles
DTF total: 539.8 miles
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #154 on: January 18, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »
Posting my total from yesterday:

1/18/13: Indoor trainer ride. 22.5 miles.

Personal Total: 429.2 miles

DTF Total:  551.1 miles

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »
1/19/2013 - 9.5 Mile Hike at Castlewood State Park.....beautiful day outside today in StL

Personal Total:  78.5 Miles

DTF Total:  560.6 miles

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:10 PM »
Ran two miles.

Personal total: 28 miles
DTF total: 562.6 miles

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #158 on: January 20, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
1/19/13: Rode outside yesterday. Great weather. 43.0 miles.

Personal Total: 472.2 miles

DTF Total: 584.1 miles

Offline Ħ

« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
The last couple of days have been real lousy due to the constipation thing. But I feel like I'm getting my stride back. Gonna go running later today.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »
Ran three miles.  Last outdoor workout for a few days, due to work and the impending cold snap.

Personal total:  31 miles
DTF total:  587.1 miles

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2013, 03:03:08 PM »
yeah, it's about to get real cold here in StL also. I think I'm going to do the 2nd Month of INSANITY to offset not being able (wanting) to run due to the cold weather. 2nd Month are longer workouts and more intense....

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
I've been thinking...I think you're undervaluing your Insanity workouts.  You're currently equating ten minutes of Insanity with one mile of running.  In terms of effort level, a ten-minute mile is a comfortable jog, and Insanity is substantially more effort than that.

With that in mind, here's an thought:
-Figure out you approximate heart rate during Insanity
-Figure out how fast you need to run to match that heart rate (I'm guessing ~7 minute miles or faster)
-Recalibrate with heart rate in mind...for example, 35 minutes would be five miles, instead of 3.5 miles.

What do people (Especially H) think about this?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2013, 03:33:36 PM »
I mean, there are already clear flaws in the conversion system. Biking a mile, for example, is 3-4x easier than running a mile (going by calories). So there's a problem there too.

A mile of running burns 100-120 calories. If you think you're burning way more than that in 10 minutes, then give yourself a conversion that you think is fair.

I hope you guys don't think I'm in charge here. I just put the thing together. It seems like enough people are involved to where I don't need to do much anymore. Give yourself a rough conversion that seems right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »
I've been thinking...I think you're undervaluing your Insanity workouts.  You're currently equating ten minutes of Insanity with one mile of running.  In terms of effort level, a ten-minute mile is a comfortable jog, and Insanity is substantially more effort than that.

With that in mind, here's an thought:
-Figure out you approximate heart rate during Insanity
-Figure out how fast you need to run to match that heart rate (I'm guessing ~7 minute miles or faster)
-Recalibrate with heart rate in mind...for example, 35 minutes would be five miles, instead of 3.5 miles.

Hmmm.....I agree that the workouts are tough and my heartrate is definately higher doing those DVD's than if I were to tone my runs down to a 10:00 pace. But, in the DVDs there is some down stretch time, usually 5 or 6 minutes and then there is the 30 seconds of rest every 3 minutes. If 'H' or anyone else wants to suggest a re-callibration I'm down for it...but honestly if it's too big a hastle then we can just keep it like it is.
  I can tell you one thing though...after 60 days of INSANITY I can definately tell the difference in my leg strength and endurance now when I go out and trail run.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »
I mean, there are already clear flaws in the conversion system. Biking a mile, for example, is 3-4x easier than running a mile (going by calories). So there's a problem there too.

A mile of running burns 100-120 calories. If you think you're burning way more than that in 10 minutes, then give yourself a conversion that you think is fair.

I hope you guys don't think I'm in charge here. I just put the thing together. It seems like enough people are involved to where I don't need to do much anymore. Give yourself a rough conversion that seems right.

I'll admit that I'm probably overthinking things.  I'm an analytical scientist, and always try to make sure that how I'm modeling/calculating something is as accurate as possible...and I'm not very good at preventing that from leaking into my personal life (how my wife puts up with it, I'm not sure).  :lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »
Ran 6 miles.

Biking: 71 miles
Running: 48 miles

DTF total:  593.1 miles

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2013, 09:36:08 PM »
Working out at the gym over the last week:

Running: 7 miles

Personal Total: 7 miles

Dream Theater Forums Total:

600.1 miles
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2013, 10:37:20 PM »
The 600 mile mark!!  :)

I ended up taking the day off and that wasn't planned. That's a first in a month or two! :lol

Offline Fisi

« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »
4.5 and 4.4 miles of running.

Personal total: 56.8 miles

Dream Theater Forums Total: 609.0 miles

Offline Ħ

« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2013, 04:12:19 PM »
Started lifting today. Squats and bench press not too bad. Barbell rows HARD. My lower body is fairly strong, particularly my quads and calves. However, my upper body is generally pretty weak, with my bis, back, and shoulders being EXCEPTIONALLY weak. Hopefully this imbalance will correct itself in the coming months.

Also, biked 9 miles.

Biking: 80 miles
Running: 48 miles
Squat: 45x5
Bench: 45x5
Barbell Row: 45x5

Started at the lowest weight possible to get form/etc all worked out. It's supposed to go up by 5 pounds each workout though, so it'll get tougher soon.

DTF Total: 613.5 miles
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:09:49 AM by Ħ »

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2013, 05:33:25 PM »
Unplanned day off...my shins announced their displeasure with me at 4 AM.  Time to buy new running shoes!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
1/21/13: Had a great trainer ride today. 46.6 miles.

Personal Total: 518.8 miles

DTF Total: 636.8 miles

Offline Fisi

« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
4.6 miles of running today.

Personal total: 61.4 miles

DTF Total: 641.1 miles

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2013, 01:36:28 PM »
90 minutes work-out today.

DTF Total: 650.1 miles
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!