Author Topic: 2013 Ten Thousand Mile Challenge v. Log it here!  (Read 30456 times)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: 2013 Ten Thousand Mile Challenge v. Log it here!
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
mostly on dirt paths in the park with lots of terrain

I started trail running two springs ago and have been in love with it ever since. Something about running/jogging through the woods...navigating the terrain that is more rewarding in a way. I leave the iPod in the car on trail runs and just enjoy the peace of it. Running in my second half marathon trail run on March 10th...first one was definately a lot different than a road half marathon.

Half marathon trail run?  That's intriguing.  IU'll have to see if there's on in my neck of the woods, as I might be interested (my shins would murder me in my sleep for attempting one on a road).

And yeah, trail running is awesome...I ran XC in high school, and have always tried to have some semblance of it in my life since then.  I even chose apartments in grad school based on ease of access to trails.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2013, 07:37:34 PM »
Half marathon trail run?  That's intriguing.

There's a State Park here in Missouri, Quiver River State Park....and they have an annual Half Marathon Trail Run called the 'Quiver River Quivering Quads Trail Run'. I ran it for the first time last March and man...they weren't lying about the quivering quads part. A lot of elvevation changes and the terrain at times was pretty intense. At one point they had volunteers spaced out about 20 yards apart for about 1/4 mile reminding you that just off to your left was a bluff that dropped about 60 foot straight down to the River below. I mean, you weren't right on top of the drop off....but it was maybe 10 yards from the trail. Close enough where you wouldn't want to tumble.  ;)
  If you like that type of running I'd search a bit. I don't know where you reside...but we have a local Footwear store called 'Fleet Feet' that has an online Run Calender that I reference a lot to make sure I don't miss a cool run.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »
Hmmm....
https://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_new_york_july_fourth_trail_half_marathon.html
Didn't think NYC would have one, but I was wrong!  4th of July is a brutal day (weather-wise) for something like that, though.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2013, 07:55:58 PM »
Hmmm....
https://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_new_york_july_fourth_trail_half_marathon.html
Didn't think NYC would have one, but I was wrong!  4th of July is a brutal day (weather-wise) for something like that, though.
Yeah that's a tough call. If it were to stay in the low 80's...that is do-able (for my taste.) When you start nearing the 90 degree mark...that begins to get miserable..for me at least. I don't know about NYC's climate but StL is notoriously humid which really makes those warm runs a bit more uncomfortable.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2013, 10:55:26 AM »
All right, just a recap of the journey so far. I started off the year only able to do 3-4 miles of running at a time, and maybe 6 miles biking. I could only do about 8 chinups and 20 pushups (which is not much considering I'm a lightweight). Now I can run about 6-7 miles, and bike about 12-13 miles, with 15 chinups and 30 pushups. Major improvement. I'm eating very healthy too, and definitely seeing and feeling the improvements.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »
All right, just a recap of the journey so far. I started off the year only able to do 3-4 miles of running at a time, and maybe 6 miles biking. I could only do about 8 chinups and 20 pushups (which is not much considering I'm a lightweight). Now I can run about 6-7 miles, and bike about 12-13 miles, with 15 chinups and 30 pushups. Major improvement. I'm eating very healthy too, and definitely seeing and feeling the improvements.

Awesome improvement in a short span!  Cleaning up ones diet can definitely facilitate some quick improvements, and once your body gets used to the fact that you're going to be asking it to do things, progress can happen quickly.

Ran 2 miles.

Personal: 22 miles
DTF total: 359 miles

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »
Yea, that's a great improvement! You'll be doubling that in no time, too!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Ħ

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2013, 11:08:41 AM »
Awesome improvement in a short span!  Cleaning up ones diet can definitely facilitate some quick improvements, and once your body gets used to the fact that you're going to be asking it to do things, progress can happen quickly.
Thanks. I never took seriously the effects of a healthy diet, but now that I started, I feel SO good. Absolutely terrific. The best I've felt since, well, ever. In just a week's time. I truly believe it is the top factor that contributed to my growth. I would highly encourage anyone to try following a strict nutritional regimen for a week or two. The results are overwhelmingly positive, most of all psychologically. You just feel good all day. Lean meats, lots of fruits and veggies, limited carbs, and healthy fats like nuts and avocado. It's easier than it sounds.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
Ended up doing an indoor ride today, since it has been raining all day.

1/13/13: Indoor trainer ride. 45.5 miles.

Personal Total: 279.4 miles

DTF Total: 379.8 miles

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2013, 08:44:30 PM »
Was going to take the day off but did the quick INSANITY Cardio Ab DVD.......

1/13/2013 - INSANITY DVD - Cardio Abs = Sports Conversion = 2 Miles

Personal Total: 53 Miles

DTF Total:  381.8 Miles

Offline Fisi

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »
Almost forgot to mention running 4.5 miles yesterday.

Personal total: 39.0 miles
DTF Total:  386.3 Miles

Offline Jonathan

• DT.net Member
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »
5.6 miles today.

Personal total: 14.9 miles
DTF total: 391.9 miles

Offline jsem

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
XC skied >7.1km = 4.4 mi.

The trails were virtually non-existent in this place (closest to my home) so it wasn't that fun. It was pretty intense though. My poor technique almost requires there to be good track laid down for me to ski at a reasonable speed.

Total km ran: 24.4
Total km biked:
Total km xc skied: 7.1

DTF Total: 396.3 miles

Offline Ħ

« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
9-mile run today. Farthest I've ever ran.

Biking: 46 miles
Running: 235 miles

DTF total: 405.3 miles

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2013, 06:12:49 PM »
9-mile run today. Farthest I've ever ran.

Great Job H!!! :tup   You are one inspired man.....

What pace are your miles at? These days my outdoor miles are anywhere between 8:15-and 8:45 depending on how hard I want to push it. My 'trail' miles are closer to 9:00 minutes. If I treadmill it I can run much faster because I force myself to keep pace with the treadmill.

Anyway....Awesome Work!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »
Thanks man. I learned yesterday that there's a half marathon in my city in about three weeks. I'd love to compete.

I'm running at about a 9:00 pace on the treadmill (it is set at 6.7mph). Still a sissy when it comes to running outside.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »
Thanks man. I learned yesterday that there's a half marathon in my city in about three weeks. I'd love to compete.

I'm running at about a 9:00 pace on the treadmill (it is set at 6.7mph). Still a sissy when it comes to running outside.

I encourage you to go for it! If you are up to 9 miles already I think you can handle the Half Marathon. After a certain point it's all about heart and determination anyway. Really it is. You could find a ton of reference material online to help you squeeze in a quick train...it'd probably have you do two more 'long' runs like that and a host of shorter back to back runs during the week to get your legs used to being tired. I'd give it some thought and do it...but be careful....it gets addicting ;D

Offline Ħ

« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
For sure, I think I will!

be careful....it gets addicting ;D
Yeah, the registration is $70. This is going to be worse than nicotine.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2013, 06:53:59 PM »
For sure, I think I will!

be careful....it gets addicting ;D
Yeah, the registration is $70. This is going to be worse than nicotine.

I literally just signed up for another mud run on May 18th three minutes ago, one that the National MS Society puts on, and it was $67.73 to register. On top of the fact that they like you to raise a minimum of a $100 a person. These events and races do start to add up. There's a Zombie Run in April I've been contemplating but of it's the same cost as it was last year that one was $80.

Paying someone so you can run......I'm definately in the wrong business.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »
I just registered for the MWCCC collegiate cycling season here in the midwest and the BDS Spring Ohio Race Series at the pro level. I got a race every weekend starting the first week on March through June. Going to be tough!!

1/14/13: Another indoor trainer ride. Fuck the cold. 38.9 miles.

Personal Total: 318.3 miles

DTF Total: 424.8 miles

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
1/14/2013 - INSANITY DVD - Pure Cardio = Sports Conversion = 4 Miles

Personal Total: 57 Miles

DTF Total:  428.8 miles

Offline jsem

« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2013, 06:05:42 AM »
Just pulled a wisdom tooth out, so I won't be doing anything here for the next few days... Sucks. A lot of snow has fallen today, so the tracks will be SO much better soon.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
Get well soon jsem!

13 mile bike. Turned it up to 11 (the resistance).

Biking: 59 miles
Running: 35 miles

DTF Total: 435.3 miles

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »
Any ideas as to how yoga could be converted? Definitely more of a workout than walking and jogging from my experience.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »
2 miles elliptical.  Sissy, but it was at 6:30 AM, jetlagged in a hotel fitness center, which counts for something.

Personal: 24 miles
DTF total: 437.3 miles

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »
1/15/13: Indoor interval trainer ride with the cycling team. Absolutely brutal workout. 33.2 miles.

Personal Total: 351.5 miles

DTF Total: 453.9 miles

Offline Ħ

« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »
I was strongly considering incorporating a strength routine with the running. I am in excellent cardiovascular shape, but I'm a total weakling when it comes to exerting force. I was recommended Stronglift's 5x5 lifting program, which runs three days of the week. Basically, it is two alternating workouts that emphasize heavy compound lifts. You do 5 sets of each with 5 reps each. If you can complete all the reps, you bump up the weight by 5 pounds the next week. The website reads like a scam but it's incredibly popular and recommended as a good beginner routine.

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 5x5

So my training schedule would look like this:

Monday: long run (9+ miles)
Tuesday: Workout A
Wednesday: medium run (6 miles)
Thursday: Workout B
Friday: medium run (6 miles)
Saturday: Workout A
Sunday: Rest

Rinse and repeat (starting with Workout B on Tuesday).

I'm posting this to ask the more experienced people here....is this overdoing it? When push comes to shove, I'd give up strength training before running. But are they mutually compatible?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
2.5 miles for me today

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »
H, it's all about how you feel doing it. Try it for a week and see how your body feels. If you feel good or a bit sore, you're doing it right. Its hard to determine what is overdoing it (unless its something ridiculous), so it largely depends on what you body can physically handle and no one can determine that except for you.

Offline Jonathan

• DT.net Member
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »
I think that's a good start, H. Just keep the weights low and focus on technique in the beginning. You don't want to lose your motivation because of some stupid injury caused by heavy weight/poor technique. But like I said, I think that looks like a great start!  :smiley:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot my 4.5 miles yesterday.

DTF Total: 460.9 miles (with mine and Chino's)
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Jonathan

• DT.net Member
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
Oh yeah. I ran 3.7 miles today with approx 12 kg ballistic vest.

Personal total: 18.6 miles
DTF total: 464.6 miles

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2013, 03:56:27 PM »
1/16/13: Another trainer ride today. Winter is not allowing me to ride outside. The warm weather last week was such a tease... 46.5 miles. Rest/easy day tomorrow and I'm excited. I need an easy day after the brutal past week of rides.

Personal Total:  398.0 miles

DTF Total: 487.9 miles

Offline jsem

« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2013, 04:33:10 PM »
Newly fallen snow, rock hard xc tracks. This tooth is killing me :(

@H: That probably isn't too much, unless your running intensity is insane. You should soon put in interval training in your running too. You're getting miles in, which is good, but if you want to improve your cardiovascular, attain a higher VO2 max and improve your anaerobic capacity you should definitely consider HIIT.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2013, 06:24:53 PM »
1/16/2013 - 6 Mile Trail Run at Mastadon State Park....got a good weather day, temp. made it into the mid 40's (F) I'm starting to get some cabin fever concering workouts. INSANITY DVD's are only so much fun.

Personal Total: 63 Miles

DTF Total:  493.9 miles