Author Topic: 2013 Ten Thousand Mile Challenge v. Log it here!  (Read 30450 times)

Offline Ħ

2013 Ten Thousand Mile Challenge v. Log it here!
« on: December 31, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »

All right, so since enough people are interested in this, I've decided to go ahead and make this log thread. Post your miles here! Remember to include a) your means of exercise, b) how many miles you went, and c) the new DTF total.

For example:

Quote from: Reply 56
Ran 5 miles. DTF total: 71 miles
Quote from: Reply 57
Biked 6 miles. DTF total: 74 miles

It doesn't have to be that formal. Just be sure to include all the right information so the next poster can know what to build off. And if you want to log your miles at the end of the week/month/year, feel free to do that too.

Conversions are based on calories burned. (props to rumborak for the suggestion)

Exercises with a 1:1 mileage ratio:
Cardio machines (sans bike)
Running/Jogging
Hiking
XC Skiing

Exercises that need converting:
Biking - divide in half
Sports - 10 minutes is equivalent to a mile
Swimming - multiply by 4
Walking - divide in half

Ask for other conversions if you need them.

Start logging tomorrow! Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:34:24 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

Re: 2013 Ten Thousand Mile Challenge v. Log it here!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
blkaiotgb, I need to convert from KM to miles now? Ah well. I'd like to propose a few switches too. Biking is so efficient that maybe divide by four if it's to be in contention with running mileage-wise. Also, XC skiing is pretty much up there with running.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »
Most of us are Americans, so mileage seems like the best way to go. You can easily use google to convert. Just type "4 kilometers to miles" and it should do it.

There are obviously many ways to bike and run, and perhaps some ways of biking are four times as efficient as running. But quick research shows that running a mile burns about 100 - 120 calories, and biking a mile burns about 40 - 50 calories. So let's just divide by two for biking.

As it is now, XC Skiing would fall into the "Sports" category. So 10 minutes of XC skiing would equate to a mile. Does that seem correct to you?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »
Nah, it's not sport in the same way as ice hockey would be. Generally, a 50km xc race takes as long as a marathon. So if anything, it should have the same requirements as running. Never should have brought it up..

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:49:05 AM »
I'm not sure if I'll bother posting my runs up here, but we'll see how we go. Not sure excatly how far I run either.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »
Alright, let's start this. Biked around ten kilometres, which is 6.2 miles, so we're counting 3.1 miles.

DTF total: 3.1 miles.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:49:38 AM »
A little help here...not quite sure which conversion to use for an 'INSANITY' DVD workout. I did the 47 minute 'Max Cardio Conditioning' DVD and then the 17 minute 'Cardio Abs' for a total of 63  minutes. Is that considered under the 'sports' conversion? Let me know how I should convert that use because I forsee me using these DVD's in lieu of my running regiment quite a bit when running isn't an option. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »
Yeah, anything cardio like that should go under Sports. So you'd give yourself about 6 miles.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 11:36:39 AM »
Yeah, anything cardio like that should go under Sports. So you'd give yourself about 6 miles.
Alrighty then.

1/1/2013 - INSANITY Max Cardio Conditioning and Cardio Abs, 63 minutes =  Sports Conversion.. 6 Miles

Personal Total: 6 Miles

DTF Total: 9.1 Miles

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 11:40:41 AM »
I'm not sure if I'll bother posting my runs up here, but we'll see how we go. Not sure excatly how far I run either.

If you or anyone else who isn't sure how far you run when you run wants to know...there is a great site called 'Map My Run' where you can chart out your run on what looks like a Google map and it will tell you how far your run was....the elevation....calories burned, it's a pretty cool site. I use it a lot to plan out different runs and know how far they are. A simple internet search will lead you to the site.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 12:10:24 PM »

If you or anyone else who isn't sure how far you run when you run wants to know...there is a great site called 'Map My Run' where you can chart out your run on what looks like a Google map and it will tell you how far your run was....the elevation....calories burned, it's a pretty cool site. I use it a lot to plan out different runs and know how far they are. A simple internet search will lead you to the site.
That'd be useful for bike rides too.

Offline jsem

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
I've done that Google thing. The elevation charts are horrible btw, and I don't trust the calories burned. But distance wise, it gets pretty close. Bicycle computers are always the way to go though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
I've done that Google thing. The elevation charts are horrible btw, and I don't trust the calories burned. But distance wise, it gets pretty close. Bicycle computers are always the way to go though.
Calories burned are always tough to trust...either on cardio machines or online calculators that just take the bare minimum info. and then calculate it. If you're a real calorie counting stickler..there are plenty of apps and programs out there to help out. The only calories I count are what I'm taking in, I try to stay between 1500 and 1800 a day and then just exercise at least 40 minutes 5 days a week. That seems to work for me.
  Like I mentioned, I like 'Map My Run' because I can chart out different runs before hand and know how far I've gone. If I did bike, I'd probably invest in one of those nice Garmins or some other GPS device. But I don't bike so I'll stick with whats comfortable for me.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
1/1/2013 - Doing nothing.
Personal Total: 0 Miles

DTF Total: 9.1 Miles
I love beautiful things.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »
I ran around 5 miles this morning, not sure exactly, maybe a little more, little less.

Personal Total: 5 miles

DTF Total: 14.1 miles

Offline Ħ

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »
Biked 10 miles today. I went a little hard with the running in December and I got shin splints. Gonna let those heal a bit before I get back at it. Biking's cool too, though.

Miles Biked: 10

DTF Total: 19.1 miles

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 03:02:08 PM »
Walked about eight kilometres or so, which is 5 miles.

DTF Total: 21.6 miles
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
1/2/2013 - INSANITY Max Interval Circuit 60 minutes =  Sports Conversion.. 6 Miles       (Anyone else who has done Insanity think this DVD is the toughest one?
                                                                                                                                  It kicks my behind every time)

Personal Total: 12 Miles

DTF Total: 27.6 Miles

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 10:15:21 PM »
Well shit...didn't know we were doing this but glad I made it to the gym today:

I walked/ran 4 miles today.  Don't depend on me too much though..I work a million hours a week and I don't have time to get to the gym too often.

Personal total:  4 miles.

DTF Total:  31.6 miles

If I wore a pedometer and logged my steps throughout the day, would those count too?  I'm on my feet for my entire shift at my second job...
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:04 PM »
If you walked, you divide your miles in half...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 10:24:02 PM »
I do most of my walking/running on an elliptical and the electronics don't work so it doesn't chart my distance.

:(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »
If you walked, you divide your miles in half...

I ran for half of it...so instead of 4 should I call it 3?  I refuse to say 2  :P

You guys can decide amongst yourselves.  I'm going to bed.
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »
I do most of my walking/running on an elliptical and the electronics don't work so it doesn't chart my distance.

Just go by the 10 minute rule. 10 minutes = 1 mile.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 10:48:36 PM »

Really? Never heard of that before. Is that for running or walking?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsem

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 01:44:26 AM »
I think it's a made up rule for this challenge or whatever.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »
Oh, this is cool.  :tup
I swam 1.9 miles yesterday and ran 4.5 miles today.

Personal total: 12.1 miles

DTF Total:  43.7 miles

Offline Ħ

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »

Really? Never heard of that before. Is that for running or walking?
Running. It's not accurate, but it generally you will burn 100 calories per 10 minutes with moderate intense exercise. And you'll burn about 100 calories per mile you run. So while it's a rough conversion, it's the best I can think of for this group challenge.

And for walking (which is not moderate intense exercise), just divide what would have been your mileage by 2.

There's no need to be super strict if you don't know, or if you go back and forth between running and walking. Just guesstimate it using the conversions.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
I was lazy on Tues night and used the golfcart all night... (doesnt help that we had 30 mph winds that night.) I should be able to knock out a couple today through sunday though
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jsem

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
Ran 4.7km, ~2.9 miles, a real crap day because of the icy and slippery roads I ran on.

DTF Total: 46.6 miles

Total km ran: 4.7
Total km biked:
Total km xc skied:

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 06:46:45 PM »
Back to the gym today after a couple weeks off during the holidays.  Did a bunch of strength training, but ran 1.5 miles as a warmup.

Miles Run: 1.5

DTF Total: 48.1 Miles

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 07:40:09 PM »
1/3/2013 - INSANITY Max Interval Plyo 55 minutes =  Sports Conversion.. 5.5 Miles       

Personal Total: 17.5 Miles

DTF Total: 53.6 Miles

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 08:47:08 PM »
1/2/13, 1/3/13: 2.5 miles (elliptical) each day.

Personal total: 5 miles

DTF total: 58.6 miles
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 02:22:57 PM »
Ran 5.9km, ~3.7 miles

DTF Total: 62.3 miles

Total km ran: 10.6
Total km biked:
Total km xc skied:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
For some reason I always feel so 'lazy' when I take a day off of exercise. I know it's needed and healthy to allow your body to rest and recharge...but I still end of feeling like I 'should' have done at least 'something'. So, no contribution today from gmiller.... :-[

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »
  Just registered for a half marathon Trail Run at Quiver River State Park here in Missouri. I ran it last year and it is a bear! The elevation changes are unreal....the race is called the 'Quivering Quads' and it certainly lives up to it's name. On a road half marathon I usually finish between 1 hr 50 minutes to 2 hours. My time on this Trail Half Marathon last year was 2 hrs 18 minutes....the hills and terrain were just killers.
  I remember hitting the 10 mile mark and thinking to myself 'Oh, good...only three more miles'......to which my legs replied ' oh yeah well we've had enough!' The last three miles proceeded to be brutal, so I'm going to try and do a better job of pacing myself and fueling my body this year and beat that time.