Author Topic: Which tune from Dream Theater do you like to play most on the guitar?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Filipe_metalhead

Hi guys,

I've been wondering, which song do you like to play most from the DT archive in the guitar?? I never really listened to When Dreams And Day Unite, and there are really cool songs on the album which contains a really challenge to play on a guitar...

So which of the DT archive songs is your favorite to play on guitar??

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Which tune from Dream Theater do you like to play most on the guitar?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:49:45 AM »
The Dance of Eternity and (not really a song but) Instrumedley.

Home is much fun as well, but so is most of Scenes. As is A Change of Seasons. I've learning that the past weeks and it's lots of fun to play, but such a lot to remember too!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:56:14 AM by Elite »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
 :omg: yeah, I think that "The Dance of Eternity is quite a challange... men, I would love to learn how to play "A Change of Seasons", but I can't  :-\ I don't have a 7th string guitar... But, it's a cool song as well... Right now I'm learning "Afertlife", "Ytse Jam", "On the Backs of Angels" and "Breaking All Illusions...

Oh, and also " The Count of Tuscany" and "Lines In the Sand" - love the solo on this one... and the melody of the part: "We fabricate our demons..."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 05:25:36 PM »
The Dance of Eternity is quite a challenge yes, but it's not nearly their hardest song to play; I can't do the most difficult ones (the solos are the main problem :P )

Yeah, you'll need 7 strings for Dance as well, though their are versions floating around for 6 string. Quite a lot in Seasons could be played on six strings, but then you're missing out on some of the more awesome riffs.

And Afterlife is fucking difficult man, I don't have the strength to continue the picking throughout the whole song :P I've done Ytse Jam, but the other two you're mentioning I've never tried. If you ever want to try something something wacky, try Another Won. It's way more difficult than it sounds :P
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 05:15:46 AM »
that's the point! I already know "Another Won"... Since I listened in the Score DVD for the first time i felt in love with the song, loved the melodies from the riffs, and I learned the solos, riffs, everything...

"Afterlife" isn't difficult at all... If you where used to play Megadeth or Metallica like I was, you wouldn't found that har to keep up with pick. the parts that frighten me are the solos and melodies... The most beautiful and difficult at the same part...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:27:17 AM »
No, the picking is okay, it's just that it's fast throughout the song. My point was mire that when you get to the solos my hand is pretty tired already. You see, I'm didn't start out as a metal guitarist, so some of the fast stuff can be too much for me. I'm really working on that though.
Squ

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »
I've always been a metal fan, and Megadeth was the reason why I started to play guitar, but Dream Theater is the reason why i want to be perfect on it... Even Petrucci has influence in Megadeth like the riff in the middle section of "Fatal Tragedy", on the DVD of Live Scenes From New York he says that it is the Megadeth section... So, if you can look over some of the songs off Rust In Peace and pratice you'll get there... Iv'e already learned the song "Afterlife" it's amazing... i'm still trying to catching well the solo. You need to pratice alternate picking patterns. An advice for you is to learn "The Count Of Tuscany" the main riff is absolutely perfect to achive the domain in alternate picking...

Happy New Year!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
I love playing Surrounded, Voices/The Silent Man, and The Count of Tuscany.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:22:13 AM »
This Dying Soul
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.