Author Topic: DT album ranking  (Read 210958 times)

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: DT album ranking
« Reply #770 on: March 05, 2014, 08:59:45 PM »
That's like most people's rankings flipped  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #771 on: March 05, 2014, 09:02:22 PM »
Due to him using commas instead of periods, I feel an urge to graph his ranking in my computer's graphing device.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #772 on: March 06, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »
I don't think I've posted my rankings with DT12 in it yet.

1. Awake (always)
2. Images and Words
3. Scenes from a Memory
4. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
5. Octavarium
6. Train of Thought
7. Falling Into Infinity
8. When Dream and Day Unite
9/10. DT12 and A Dramatic Turn of Events (unusual for me to have albums equal to each other)
11. Systematic Chaos
12. Black Clouds and Silver Linings

« Reply #773 on: March 10, 2014, 12:34:40 PM »
I've been re-listening to most of their albums and this is the list I've come up with:

1. Awake- Not a skippable song in there. Absolutely love the second half of the album, culminating with Space Dye Vest which was so epic live!
2. Scenes- Narrowly misses out on top spot because I need to be in the right mood to listen to it. Some amazing solos!
3. Train of Thought- Big fan of this album, like that it's a lot heavier/darker and just something a bit different. I think this was the album I first heard of their's all the way through and really dug it!
4. Black Clouds and Silver Linings- Giving this album more credit on recent listens, really enjoyed all the songs but my favourites are Count of Tuscany and Best of Times (Killer solo).
5. DT12/Dramatic Turn of Events- Both solid and inseparable in my honest opinion. Good stuff. Love Breaking All Illusions and Illumination Theory.
6. Images and Words- Like it a lot, but not as much as many here. Highlights are Under a Glass Moon (heard at High Voltage fest and really dug it since) and Pull Me Under
7. Systematic Chaos- One of those albums I rarely go back to. My dad absolutely loves this and would make it into his top 3 though. Regular discussions about it haha!
8. Falling Into Infinity- Not enough on here to be in the top 5 in terms of big quality. Got a lot of time for Peruvian Skies.
9. Octavarium- Listening to now. It's definitely one of the couple of albums I rarely listen to.
10. Six Degrees- Okay so, the song that got me into DT was the first time I heard Glass Prison blasting out of my dads car speakers. I was hooked from there. But the album is very hit and miss from then on. Ta for the memories anyway!
11. When Dream and Day Unite- Doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. Ytse Jam is fun.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #774 on: March 10, 2014, 12:58:17 PM »
1. A Dramatic Turn of Events
2. Images and Words
3. Octavarium
4. Scenes from a Memory
5. Awake
6. Dream Theater
7. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
8. Falling Into Infinity
9. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
10. Train of Thought
11. Systematic Chaos
12. When Dream & Day Unite

I'm going to use this paragraph to compare their two most recent efforts. I really like DT12, don't get me wrong, but its ranking is based on the fact it only really contains two genuine "goosebumps" moments for me. The ending of The Bigger Picture, and the ending of Illumination Theory (plus the subsequent hidden track). On the other hand, ADTOE is absolutely full of those moments. The chorus of BMUBMD, most of This is the Life, Bridges, Outcry, Far From Heaven, Breaking All Illusions. Just, a stunning effort, and that's why I've ranked it top.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:03:31 PM by RoeDent »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #775 on: March 10, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »

Wow.  While the album generally is praised, I think this may be the first time I have seen anyone actually rank it #1.

Anyhow, I guess I'll do an updated one.  This is difficult to do for a variety of reasons.  There are so many variables, and my opinions have changed over time.  And I genuinely like every single album of theirs.  But here's my attempt.

1.  Six Degress -- Not a flawless album, but LOTS of highs, and the highs are VERY high indeed.
2.  SFAM -- The whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.
3.  ADTOE -- The highs aren't quite as high as Six Degrees, but this is by far the most consistent album they have ever done.
4.  I&W -- Groundbreaking.  But a bit inconsistent.
5.  Awake -- Worthy follow-up to I&W.
6.  Dream Theater -- Still digesting this one, but this spot feels about right.
7.  Octavarium -- I REALLY like a lot of songs on this album, but there are some "misses" for sure.
8.  Systematic Chaos -- More than any other album, this one has the most polar opposites on my "likes" and "dislikes" list.
9.  Falling Into Infinity -- Took me awhile to appreciate.
10.  Train of Thought -- Dark.  Solid.  Great closing with Vacant/SOC/ITNOG.
11.  Black Clouds -- Nightmare and TCOT are terrific.  TSF is nice, but needed focus.  The rest falls a little flat.
12.  When Dream and Day Unite -- Standard complaints:  production and Charlie's vocals.  But some good songs.  Reunite shows off how good some of the songs are.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BMcP_2112

« Reply #776 on: March 10, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »
Systematic Chaos
Scenes From A Memory
Octavarium
Images and Words
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
A Dramatic Turn of Events
Train of Thought
Dream Theater
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Awake
Falling Into Infinity
When Dream and Day Unite

:metal

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #777 on: March 11, 2014, 02:42:24 AM »
Update

1 - Six Degrees
2 - Scenes from a Memory
3 - Images and Words
4 - Awake
-
5 - Train of Thought
6 - Octavarium
-
-
-
7 - Falling Into Infinity
8 - When Dream and Day (Re)Unite
9 -  Dream Theater
10 - A Dramatic Turn of Events

-
-
-
-
-
11 - Systematic Chaos
12 - Black Clouds Silver Lining

EDIT: Swap ADTOE and DT12 place.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:35:15 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #778 on: March 11, 2014, 03:46:32 AM »
1. SFAM --- not flawless, but still breathtaking
2. TOT --- my first DT album, always been a fan of metal and this album does the heavy side of DT justice
3. SDOIT --- perfect mix of soft and heavy songs, the title track is a bit weak
4. ADToE --- a really consistent album, the only song I am not a fan of is LNF
5. Awake --- this would be in top 3 if "A Mind Beside Itself suite" didn't drag it down
6. BC&SL --- underrated, but some of the songs could have used some trimming down
7. Octavarium --- great heights, very low lows (I am looking at you TALW)
8. SC --- good album, it's only this low because the rest of DT's discography is that good, TMOLS drags it down a bit
9. DT12 --- still hasn't clicked, I am not a  fan of the short song format (it worked on Awake, not really this time) and IT is ruined by the orchestral section
10. I&W --- never really clicked, I just get bored listening to it
11. Falling Into Infinity --- has only a few songs worth listening to
12. WDADU --- can't get past the production and Dominici's vocals

Offline Pingvin

« Reply #779 on: March 11, 2014, 04:51:53 AM »
1. SFAM - I love every second of it. Just flawless.
2. I&W
3. Awake
4. FII
5. SDOIT
6. TOT
7. Octavarium
8. ADTOE
9. SC
10. BC&SL
11. DT12 (too early to put it here, I think, but we'll see.)
12. WDADU

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #780 on: March 11, 2014, 05:15:41 PM »
2. Images and Words

3. Octavarium
4. Scenes from a Memory
5. Awake
6. Dream Theater
8. Falling Into Infinity
10. Train of Thought
11. Systematic Chaos

I'm going to use this paragraph to compare their two most recent efforts. I really like DT12, don't get me wrong, but its ranking is based on the fact it only really contains two genuine "goosebumps" moments for me. The ending of The Bigger Picture, and the ending of Illumination Theory (plus the subsequent hidden track). On the other hand, ADTOE is absolutely full of those moments. The chorus of BMUBMD, most of This is the Life, Bridges, Outcry, Far From Heaven, Breaking All Illusions. Just, a stunning effort, and that's why I've ranked it top.

:tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #781 on: March 11, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
6. Dream Theater
We can't be friends.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #782 on: March 11, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »
New ranking, stuff has been moving around over the last couple of months.

Dark Masterpiece

1. Awake

Classics

2. Images & Words
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Scenes from a Memory

Great albums with a couple of classic tracks on each

5. Train of Thought
6. Falling into Infinity
7. Octavarium

Good

8. Systematic Chaos

Alright

10. Dream Theater
11. A Dramatic Turn of Events

Not my taste

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline deslock

« Reply #783 on: March 15, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »
The 4 standout albums, IMO:
  • A Dramatic Turn of Events
  • Images and Words
  • Octavarium
  • Dream Theater

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #784 on: March 15, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »
It's been a while since I've done this, and last time DTXII was not yet released, so here are my revised rankings

THE TOP TIER

Images and Words - The greatest album of all time.  Dream Theater may not have invented progressive metal, but with this album, they redifined the genre in their own image (nuggetz :P) and the impact of this mighty disc can still be felt in the progmetal scene today.

Scenes From A Memory - As others have said, the whole is definitely greater then the sum of it's parts.  A seminal prog-metal concept album.

Awake - My first album by the band.  In my opinion, this record has both Petrucci's and LaBrie's finest moments, and with this being the last album to feature Kevin Moore, there is certainly a magic here that was never to be repeated.

Dream Theater XII - The first album since SFAM to really rise to the level of the above mentioned holy trinity.  The triumphant sound of a band rejuvenated forged into a masterpiece of a record.

THE MIDDLE TIER

A Dramatic Turn of Events - After a string of comparatively weak albums and the departure of Mike Portnoy, this album proved that Dream Theater could not only continue, but thrive, solidly mixing their modern sound while revisiting their roots.

Train of Thought - Dream Theater's one and only balls to the wall metal album, the band pulled no punches with this record.  Very one dimensional, but consistently awesome from top to bottom.

Falling Into Infinity - While I prefer the demo versions of most songs on this album, the fact remains that, despite some weak moments, FII still features some the best music Dream Theater ever crafted, in particular Lines In The Sand and the epic Trial Of Tears.  Also, as the only album to feature phenom keyboardist Derek Sherinian, this album holds a certain charm and groove that DT never really possessed before or since.

When Dream And Day Unite - Despite the poor production and Charlie's sometimes insufficient vocals, the youthful energy and sprawling ambition of the band's debut is still enough to give this album a decent amount of merit.  It's vastly imperfect, but it also deserves much more credit then it is usually given.

THE BOTTOM TIER

Octavarium - A solid album with a few really noteworthy tracks.  Nothing really wrong with it per-se, but it simply does not stand out to me as much as many of the band's other works.

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - There are some really good songs here, but the album as a whole seems to drag in a few places on the first disc and has some very hit-or-miss songwriting on the second.  Still, a more then decent album.

Black Clouds And Silver Linings - While I enjoy it more then it's immediate predecessor (see below), BC&SL still features many of that album's less savory attributes as a result of the band attempting to sound more contemporary.  Despite also having some pretty dodgy lyrics, however, the album still shines here and there, most notably on the 19 minute monster, The Count of Tuscany.

Systematic Chaos - I should note that I enjoy every single record Dream Theater has ever released and do not consider any of their albums to be even mediocre, let alone truly poor.  SC ranks at the bottom because despite being an above average prog-metal record, it features many elements I feel are at odds with Dream Theater's overall sound, like MP's gruff vocals, adolescent lyrics and a very dry guitar-and-drums dominated production.  While I still like the album quite a lot, the fact that the band forcibly attempted to "modernize" their sound on this record leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:48:27 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline vbrodrigues95

« Reply #785 on: March 15, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »
1 - Scenes From a Memory
2 - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance
3 - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
4 - Images & Words
5 - A Dramatic Turn os Events
6 - Dream Theater
7 - Awake
8 - Octavarium
9 - Systematic Chaos
10 - Falling Into Infinity
11 - Train of Thought
12 - When Dream and Day Unite

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #786 on: March 16, 2014, 04:58:02 AM »
Updated List:

1A: Awake
1B: Images & Words
3: Scenes From A Memory
4: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
5: Dream Theater
6. A Dramatic Turn of Events
7: Train of Thought
8: Falling Into Infinity
9: Octavarium
10: Systematic Chaos
11: Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12: When Dream And Day Unite
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #787 on: March 16, 2014, 05:23:47 AM »
1: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
2: Images & Words
3: Scenes From A Memory
4. A Dramatic Turn of Events
5: Octavarium
6: Black Clouds & Silver Linings
7: Falling Into Infinity
8: Dream Theater
9: Awake
10: Train of Thought
11: Systematic Chaos
12: When Dream And Day Unite
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Umph1348

« Reply #788 on: March 17, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »
My first crack at this and it will likely change over time, but here goes:

1.  SFAM
2.  SDOIT
3/4.  ToT/Awake (really hard for me to choose between these two)
5.  A Dramatic Turn of Events
6.  I&W
7.  DT
8.  Octavarium
9.  SC
10.  BC&SL
11.  FII
12.  WDADU

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #789 on: March 20, 2014, 06:44:18 PM »
I'm new here and here goes my ranking. Mostly as a way to vent my continued disappointment with the new album. I can't even listen to it and I really hope DT hasn't jumped the shark (it's the faux symphonic keyboards, even worse than on Six Degrees that are like fingernails on a chalkboard) - I may add that I've been a fan from the early days and When Day and Dream Unite was one of those defining moments in my life as a listener and musician.

Images and Words
When Day and Dream Unite
Falling into Infinity
Awake
Octavarium
Change of Season
Black Clouds
Systematic Chaos
Train of Thought
----------------
Failures:

Six Degrees
Scenes from a Memory
Dream Theater

So why those last three? Like I said above - the faux symphonies on Six Degrees and DT are intolerable for me. Scenes is just a bad scene for me all around. The story, people, the story! I remember actually when that movie came out and laughing hysterically because it was just so bad. Anyone remember the scissors scene? I wasn't honestly sure if that was some kind of spoof or if that was serious. I still can't believe that one of my favorite bands, who seems to be comprised of reasonable and smart people, actually took that material and turned it into a concept album of all things. Plus I'm just allergic to religious/spiritual/superstitious themes (and I would include Freudian "therapy" with that). Hair raising - in a bad way.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:01:38 PM by 7enderbender »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: March 20, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »
You should've posted that in the controversial opinions thread  ;D   I'm one of the few (maybe only) people in these parts who agree with you (relatively speaking) on both SFAM and SDOIT but I wouldn't place them below Train of Thought or Systematic Chaos.

The one thing that surprises me is that most people with my taste (a big leaning towards the first 3 albums , ADTOE and FII)  tend to really like the latest album.

Anyway.......opinions, eh!   Welcome.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #791 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:44 PM »
Images and Words
When Day and Dream Unite
Falling into Infinity
Awake
Octavarium
Change of Season
Black Clouds
Systematic Chaos
Train of Thought
----------------
Failures:

Six Degrees
Scenes from a Memory
Dream Theater

Bar I&W, our rankings might as well be reversed.

You and I will get along swimmingly. :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #792 on: March 21, 2014, 01:07:22 AM »
Failures:

Six Degrees
Scenes from a Memory

We can never be friends.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #793 on: March 21, 2014, 05:24:49 AM »
Failures:

Six Degrees
Scenes from a Memory

We can never be friends.

Wow.  Calling them failures.  Isn't there a thread for controversial opinions?

Offline Invisible

« Reply #794 on: March 21, 2014, 06:57:53 AM »
Failures:

Six Degrees
Scenes from a Memory
Dream Theater

So why those last three? Like I said above - the faux symphonies on Six Degrees and DT are intolerable for me. Scenes is just a bad scene for me all around. The story, people, the story! I remember actually when that movie came out and laughing hysterically because it was just so bad. Anyone remember the scissors scene? I wasn't honestly sure if that was some kind of spoof or if that was serious. I still can't believe that one of my favorite bands, who seems to be comprised of reasonable and smart people, actually took that material and turned it into a concept album of all things. Plus I'm just allergic to religious/spiritual/superstitious themes (and I would include Freudian "therapy" with that). Hair raising - in a bad way.
Now THIS is how you make an entrance! I should've learned from this guy :lol.

My turn!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
TIER 1: Nearly flawless.

Awake: An instant favourite for me, from the dark grooviness of 6:00 'till the last note of the haunting Space Dye Vest, this album is as close to perfection as it gets.

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence: From Moore masterwork to Rudess masterwork, experimental, crazy, but really strong all around. Took me 2 years to get into this album, but when it clicked, it became a masterpiece of the second classic DT lineup.

Falling Into Infinity: Yes, there are some clunkers here, but replace them with the really great B Sides and it soars as high as the others, even on the regular album, the high points of this album greatly overshadows any of its flaws. Strong, solid, really different from everything else they've done.

Images and Words: The naivety of WDADU combined with the maturity of the experience of failure but with an optimistic view, this is pure magic. I wished they added Don't Look Past Me and To Live Forever to make it an even more piece of awesomeness.

TIER 2: Excellent.

Dream Theater: Their self titled effort combines the classic sound of the band and gives it a new spin. Not so new that it can cross the Tier 2 barrier though, even if it's consistent all the way through, it doesn't have as much spine tingling moments as the Tier 1 do, but still a great album.

Scenes From a Memory: There's some seriously good music here, and a perfectly constructed album, so why not Tier 1? The story is not that great. Other than that, it's a classic.

Train of Thought: One dimensional, it suffers from having seven great songs that don't make up for a that great album when you put them all together, but still it's an awesome heavy album, and I love the wackiness of it :metal.

Cleaning Out The Closet: Yep, it's probably one of my favourites DT albums on its own, and if it hadn't B Sides production it would be a serious candidate for Tier 1. Everything here is so pure gold that I can't believe I'm listening to a B Sides compilation. They should have released this as an album with A Change of Seasons to make for another Tier 1 masterpiece!

Octavarium: Dream Theater lesser brother in a way, concise, to the point, and with some GREAT songs in there, but also some clunkers. The opener, These Walls and the title track are nothing short of amazing, but the others don't live up to the heights, with SS being good-not-great, IWBY and Panic Attack ok and the rest I just don't like them very much. Still, the highs of this album are VERY high, so that grants them a position on Tier 2.

Tier 3: Strong, but with flaws.

Systematic Chaos: The outcast, the weirdo, the non serious of the family. This is a really good album, yes, it's flawed and it has some WTF moments all over it, but once you understand it, it becomes really good. Forget about the usual DT reflexive or emotional moments, just spin it and have fun singing along the silly lyrics!

A Dramatic Turn Of Events: If SC is the fun, weirdo, I-don't-care-what-you-think-of-me of the family, ADTOE is the conservative, safe and serious guy, and that is this album flaw for me. While it has Breaking All Illusions, the masterpiece of the album, the rest is... well... too safe, everything is good, but it's missing something. No element of surprise, no "wow, this is definetly different". I should cut it some slack considering it was the right album to do at that moment for the band, but judging by the music alone, it fails where Systematic Chaos triumph, and viceversa.

Black Clouds And Silver Linings: I seriously don't know what to say about this album. It should be on Tier 2 but for some reasons it's missing something. The Shattered Fortress is a perfect way to close the 12SS but on its own it reveals it's flaws, The Count Of Tuscany is really solid long sort of epic but the lyrics don't do much for me, A Nightmare To Remember has the overlong tradeoff solos... and the other three are good but they lack something.

Tier 4:

When Days And Dream Unite: The first album I listened from Dream Theater, and I never considered listening to them again for two years. Yes, that bad was my first impression. But, it has grown on me since and I can say it's not a bad album, and it has some moments of pure brillance paired with moments of pure failure,  which actually somehow elevates the album in a weird way, and I actually enjoy it more than some of the Tier 3, but still, Dream Theater needed an extra 10 minutes in the oven when they released this.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #795 on: March 21, 2014, 07:10:10 AM »
I really enjoyed reading your list, Invisible. :tup

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #796 on: March 21, 2014, 07:28:36 AM »
Images and Words
When Day and Dream Unite
Falling into Infinity
Awake
Octavarium
Change of Season
Black Clouds
Systematic Chaos
Train of Thought
----------------
Failures:

Six Degrees
Scenes from a Memory
Dream Theater

Your top 4 is just about perfect, if you put Scenes From A Memory on top we could be friends.  :lol Calling Scenes From A Memory a failure just screams bad taste to me, it is probably my favorite album ever by anyone. I can understand Six Degrees more, to me its great but it is wildly inconsistent. Also, the new album rules.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #797 on: March 21, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »
It's nice to see someone else who loves WDADU (and early DT), cheers :D

Offline Invisible

« Reply #798 on: March 21, 2014, 07:40:04 AM »
I really enjoyed reading your list, Invisible. :tup
Thanks! Really means a lot! I'm warming up for my Top 50, as soon as I can get my head around where to place some songs and stop crying over the fact that I have to leave some truly great songs out of it :P, so it's really great that at least someone enjoy my writeups! :)

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #799 on: March 21, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
Failures:

Six Degrees
Scenes from a Memory

We can never be friends.

Wow.  Calling them failures.  Isn't there a thread for controversial opinions?

:-) I had no idea this would be so controversial. I know that a lot of people like that album and I'm ready to admit that there are two or so good songs on there. Musically it's probably not as bad even to me as it may look in that ranking. There are just certain things that can spoil an album for me. With the new one and Six Degrees it's the artificial symphony orchestra (different story by the way when these parts are played live with the real orchestra on Score). But with Scenes loses for me because of the lyrics and themes. I can ignore religious stuff, weird political things or the Tolkien-Metal-crap to a certain extent, but an entire concept album based on a ridiculous C movie is too much for me personally. When Petrucci did the childish Illuminati nonsense on Black Clouds I was like, oh well is that really necessary - but it's just one song and then we move on from there. But the theatric going on and on with Scenes - culminating in that churchy "Spirit Carries On" thing puts me over the edge.

And now I'm going to be stoned I bet.

But seriously. DT is a great band and has been a main staple throughout my life since the 80s together with Pink Floyd, Rush and a bunch of other artists less proggy. Fun forum here from people who obviously care about great music. It's certainly fun and sit back and see how the band has developed over the years - and how people react to things depending on when they got to know their music (I suspect as one factor). WDADU was just one of those defining moments. Yes, compared to today's standards that's not a stellar production. Though I actually have a weak spot for the 80s style of engineering. Compared to a lot of (then) small bands from that time it's actually pretty good. And I always liked Dominici on that album. There are certainly a few goosebumps moments on there I think (Killing Hand anyone?). And also fun to look back at what different members brought to the table - and I mean that really only in a good way.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: March 21, 2014, 10:05:44 AM »

With opinions like that, I'm betting you're already stoned. :neverusethis:

(j/k welcome to the forum!)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #801 on: March 21, 2014, 12:20:30 PM »

Yes, welcome.  This is one of the great things IMHO about DT and their fans - musical diversity.  There are some fans that like them for their very proggy stuff and others that like the metal side.  I personally like it all, but I can certainly respect someone's opinion if they don't.  I guess I should know better but there are sometimes when I'm really surprised.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #802 on: March 21, 2014, 12:38:41 PM »

:rollin :clap:

Well, I guess if you hate the story that much, SFAM can be seen as a failure. I'm in the middle ground, it has parts that work, other that are bad but the music is so good I can forgive them, but I do see your point.

As for the synth orchestra, I don't mind it, and since they are not that prominent on Six Degrees(the album) I don't see it as a reason to put the whole album as a failure, the same with DT12(which actually has some real orchestra by the way). But to each their own I guess... welcome to the forum! :tup

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #803 on: March 22, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »

Hey, we're all music fans here. :neverusethis:

#420yoloDTvsDT

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #804 on: March 31, 2014, 06:54:40 AM »
Finally finished my ranking process, so I can post this without guessing.

The lower the points, the better the album:

1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (59,17)
2. Train of Thought (90,86)
3. Octavarium (117,88)
4. Systematic Chaos (138,29)
5. Images & Words (146,88)
6. A Dramatic Turn of Events (148,89)
7. Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From a Memory (159,75)
8. Awake (198,36)
9. Black Clouds & Silver Linings (200,33)
10. Falling Into Infinity (213,18)
11. Dream Theater (215,22)
12. When Dream & Day Unite (278,13)

ADToE ended up lower than I expected, and both 8V and SC did better than I thought. DT12 did about as bad as I expected it to, except I thought that it would beat FII and BC&SL.