Author Topic: Genesis Top 20 Now Up:Pols Voice (Page 3)  (Read 6667 times)

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
Re: Genesis Top 20 Now Up:Unlegit (Page 2)
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2013, 12:13:44 AM »
Identical to my top 3  :tup
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2013, 07:28:32 PM »
Bump. Whatever happened to this thread? Beowulf? Anyone?

I might have a go at a list sometime, but I'm not ready yet.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »
Sorry...  I'd like to find the time, but right now isn't it.  Unfortunately, (and not to be a buzzkill, but...) I'm in the very early-- yet still ugly-- stages of a divorce after almost 16 years.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »
Sorry...  I'd like to find the time, but right now isn't it.  Unfortunately, (and not to be a buzzkill, but...) I'm in the very early-- yet still ugly-- stages of a divorce after almost 16 years.

oh man, sorry to hear about that.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2013, 10:46:05 AM »
I would like to do one in a while.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2013, 11:02:32 AM »

oh man, sorry to hear about that.

Thanks, but its for the best.  My attorney put it best.  After a 5-10 minute summation of what's wrong with the marriage, he said, "What in the hell took you so long, boy?"  I kid you not.  He's a good ol' boy from the country (outside the main Dallas/Fort Worth metropolis).

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Beowulf.

I'm working on my list now.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
Shame to hear that Beowulf. Hope you can sort it out easily and painlessly.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2013, 10:27:16 PM »
Well... Sorry to hear.. Anyways whoever wants to go next,make a move.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2013, 01:56:30 PM »
Alright, I'll have a go at it. :)

20. Blood on the Rooftops

Steve Hackett shows off with some very well done classical guitar playing. The song has a hazy, chilly, atmospheric, and nostalgic feel that fits Wind and Wuthering's cover to a T. Tony Banks perfectly contributes some lush and mysterious keys. The lyrics about pop culture and world events are good and conjure up some interesting imagery. Plus, it's funny to hear Phil say Tarzan, foreshadowing his future Disney career. SPOOKY.

19. Watcher of the Skies

Even though this makes my top 20, I feel like the intro is a tad overrated. I mean, it's cool, but I've never been head over heels in love with it. The song really takes off when the rest of the band comes in. Nice choppy riffs and a kind of military feel throughout. The vocal melodies are sorta unorthodox, but that's what makes it prog, man. Those scratchy guitar squeal things Hackett does are memorable. I love little weird things in songs like that, because they spice things up. Oh, and the lyrics are pretty nifty.

18. Burning Rope

A highlight from a somewhat spotty album. I freakin' love those massive drum fills in the opening. This track has a kind of dreamy, floaty vibe, which is neat, but there is also this underlying urgency mixed in. Mike Rutherford isn't known as a great lead guitarist, but his echoey, Hackettesque solo here is quite effective.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
No complaints there :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
Burning Rope recently grew on me.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »
Watcher of the Skies  :tup

Other songs are good, but not great.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »
Could the thread title possibly be updated? :D

17. Home by the Sea

I like to count songs separately, so I'm only talking about the first part here. A chilling story served well by poppy and catchy, yet also creepy music. Great lyrics. Collins sings with a lot of emotion, instilling the song with a sense of desperation. I especially like the "sit down" part. Genesis never fully lost their prog edge, even on their most commercial albums.

16. The Knife

I'm not the biggest fan of Trespass (sorry), but I do love this song. It's one of the band's most intense compositions, with some hard rocking moments, as well as a moody middle section for good contrast. Peter's performance is intimidating and commanding. Rutherford's powerful basslines drive the song along nicely, and Anthony Phillips does a nice job too. Not bad for a bunch of kids!

15. Dodo/Lurker

Abacab is kind of a weird album, really. This is the proggiest moment, and man does it ever rock. It's infused with a lot of Genesis' trademark quirkiness, especially in the Lurker section, with that hilarious and zany keyboard melody. Anyway, the lyrics and vocals are pretty crazy, and I like the way the song goes all funky in some parts. Lots of tasty drumming throughout. Plus, it sounds like Phil says Darth Vader (he doesn't, but he should have).
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2013, 12:38:35 AM »
Not sure if I would put Dodo/Lurker that high but the others are good.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2013, 07:34:41 AM »
Not sure if I would put Dodo/Lurker that high but the others are good.
Yup.

Also,title updated.

Offline Unlegit

Re: Genesis Top 20 Now Up:Pols Voice (Page 3)
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2013, 10:23:09 AM »
The Knife and Dodo/Lurker are awesome.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2013, 10:38:59 AM »
Interesting.  I've always been much more partial to the Second Home By The Sea.  Just good stuff.  But I completely agree with The Knife.  Good hard edge (no pun intended) right off the bat.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2013, 10:46:10 PM »
Thanks for the title update. :tup

14. Los Endos

A Latin-inspired, jazz fusion style track? Sure! The bubbling bass and propulsive percussion just make you want to dance around dweebishly. Lots of fun energy on display here. It was neat to reprise Dance on a Volcano and Squonk, and the little lyric quotes from Supper's Ready are a nice touch.

13. The Cinema Show

Really, the keyboard solo is the main draw. The pre-solo sections are good, even great, although the lyrics are kind of weird IMO. I like that "na na na-na" part a lot. But the keyboard solo. Yes, it's amazing. Some awesome drum work going on underneath, too. Tony incorporated synths a little later than a lot of his contemporaries, but he utilized them well right off the bat. This song's even better on Seconds Out, but I'm ranking the studio version here.

12. The Return of the Giant Hogweed

Those silly lads. PG really shows off his off-kilter, theatrical flair on this one. As an aside, I wish he hadn't stopped playing the flute. Hogweed's sci-fi story is entertaining, and the music is filled with a lot of nifty quirkiness and flashy playing. Nursery Cryme has a raw production quality that actually works well here. The explosive finale surges with raw power, and is one of the band's greatest moments. Turn and run!
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2013, 11:01:59 PM »
Los Endos.  :heart The Cinema Show is great too.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2013, 08:17:05 AM »
Los Endos.  :heart The Cinema Show is great too.
Yup.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2013, 04:58:01 PM »
11. Dance on a Volcano

Pffft, Genesis won't be able to make it without Peter.......WHOA, THIS IS GREAT!!! That must have been the reaction of many a fan when they heard this here tune. The boyz had something to prove, and they did it right away on this tightly composed, progtastic, memorable song. I love those massive-sounding bass pedals. The hyper instrumental section at the end is ace.

10. The Fountain of Salmacis

THE MELLOTRON. It's the sound of classic prog, and man is it used to superb effect on this song. That intro gives me chills. The song gets really awesome when it turns all rocking in the middle. Mike plays some fun basslines and Phil goes nuts on the toms. For a band that has such a pastoral quality, Genesis was also great at fast and exciting instrumental sections. When I was studying Crete last year, the line "Mount Ida rises like an island!" kept coming to mind. Boo yeah.

9. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight

One of Gabriel's shining moments with the band. He turns in a gripping, charged performance here. The song has a certain intensity to it in both its subdued and loud sections. Genesis knew how to use dynamics to great effect, and DWTMK is a good example. Hackett has several cool moments. The quiet, eerie ending is alright, but unfortunately seems kind of random.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2013, 05:41:33 PM »
I love the ending too much. No idea why.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, was talking about Dancing With the Moonlit Knight. But seriously, it's just two sets of four descending notes repeated, but it sticks with me like nothing else. It's really captivating to me, I could listen to it on loop for hours.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:18:40 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2013, 09:34:37 PM »
Nice to see Dancing on a Volcano. Can't go wrong Dancing With the Moonlit Knight either.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I love the ending too much. No idea why.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, was talking about Dancing With the Moonlit Knight. But seriously, it's just two sets of four descending notes repeated, but it sticks with me like nothing else. It's really captivating to me, I could listen to it on loop for hours.

Yeah, it's nice. I think it could fit better in a different song, though.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2013, 07:02:39 PM »
8. One for the Vine

Tony Banks puts on a clinic on this expansive and atmospheric mini-epic. He really came into his own on the two post-Gabriel albums. So much so, that it probably made Steve feel marginalized. Anyway, the part where everything goes all crazy in the middle is the best, especially that duck sound. I LOVE it when songs explode unexpectedly from quiet parts to all-out rocking (prog does this a lot). I also love this track's epic ending. Sometimes Collins sounds like a cat in this song. Just felt like mentioning that.

7. Duke's Travels

Duke is a really good album, but it's light on all-out prog moments until this thing comes out and punches you in the gob. Phil lays down some sick, driving beats for Tony to go all fancy over. Some of Banks' best work, I'd say. The whole track flows very well and has a great sense of excitement to it. The reprise of Guide Vocal is absolutely awesome and gives me chills. Such a spot-on arrangement.

6. Eleventh Earl of Mar

A fun song with a good driving energy. Starting off all eerie in an almost tongue in cheek way, it then becomes an upbeat, catchy toetapper. It's hard to not move to the music. I love those parts where it really lays down the stomp with a big ol' rumbly bassline. The airy, peaceful section in the middle is a great breather. It was cool to end the song with the return of the freaky opening.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »
All 3 of these tracks were in my top 50.  :tup

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2013, 02:07:40 AM »
All of those are amazing songs :tup

Edit: But you put them in the wrong order :lol

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2013, 04:59:46 AM »
8. One for the Vine

Tony Banks puts on a clinic on this expansive and atmospheric mini-epic. He really came into his own on the two post-Gabriel albums. So much so, that it probably made Steve feel marginalized. Anyway, the part where everything goes all crazy in the middle is the best, especially that duck sound. I LOVE it when songs explode unexpectedly from quiet parts to all-out rocking (prog does this a lot). I also love this track's epic ending. Sometimes Collins sounds like a cat in this song. Just felt like mentioning that.

[...]

6. Eleventh Earl of Mar

A fun song with a good driving energy. Starting off all eerie in an almost tongue in cheek way, it then becomes an upbeat, catchy toetapper. It's hard to not move to the music. I love those parts where it really lays down the stomp with a big ol' rumbly bassline. The airy, peaceful section in the middle is a great breather. It was cool to end the song with the return of the freaky opening.

I simply love W&W.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »
5. Entangled

A beautiful, mesmerizing track. The chiming acoustic guitars and wispy vocals create a dream-like feel that fits the lyrics perfectly. The haunting keyboards in the last part of the song are incredible. This band sure knew how to set a mood, and this is one of their most successful attempts. It's equal parts serene and unsettling.

4. Can-Utility and the Coastliners

So much of what made Genesis amazing all crammed into a tidy little song. It quickly shifts between different moods without seeming scattered. Starting off pleasant enough, it soon transforms into a turbulent rocker that brings to mind the crashing of waves. And the whole band gets a lot of awesome stuff to do. I love that one frantic bass part. Doesn't Peter sound crazed at the end? Yes, yes he does.

3. Squonk

Genesis is an interesting band in part because of the stories they tell. This story of an ugly, poor little creature is intriguing and ultimately sad. I totally love the drums in this one. Such a great, pounding beat with some cool Phils (har har) thrown in. Mike drives the song along with both bass pedals and bass guitar. The singing is great, although sometimes it's a little difficult to make out the words. I like how the song unexpectedly changes at the end.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
Finally someone giving Can-Utility the respect it deserves. God I love that song and it's top 5 for me too.

EDIT: Nevermind, Lolzeez ranked it high too. Yay. :D

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »
Finally someone giving Can-Utility the respect it deserves. God I love that song and it's top 5 for me too.

Yeah, but it didn't make his Top 5 (barely). :coolio
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Sqounk  :heart

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2013, 09:52:32 PM »
Squonk was our opening song for a long time.  This was in 1982.  The places we played, I don't think a single person had ever heard it.  Whatever, we had good time.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:15 PM »

Can-Utility is awesome.