Author Topic: Genesis Top 20 Now Up:Pols Voice (Page 3)  (Read 6668 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Genesis Top 20
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »
Hey, we have the same number one! Always nice to see that.  :tup
Was it predictable?

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 10:27:06 AM »
Not at all
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 12:54:22 PM »
Alright, let's get this going. My write ups are going to be really, really short, so don't expect something like the Rush Top 50.

20. Duke's Travels / Duke's End

A great pair of songs that are mostly instrumental, aside from a couple lines at the end of Duke's Travels. Duke's End would have been an awesome ending for the Duke suite if it would have made it onto the album, but it's still good ending the album.

19. That's All

I'm not the biggest fan of the self-titled album, but this song is great. It's not prog by any means, but it's still a fun song to listen to. The bass and keyboards go very well together. Mike has an awesome guitar solo as the song fades out.

18. The Battle of Epping Forest

The intro and outro to this song are quite cool, but of course the main attraction is Peter changing voices and the many different time signatures.  I wish there were slightly more instrumental parts to the song, and a little less lyrics, but overall, it works well.

17. One for the Vine

One of the last long songs Genesis would ever make. I really like the somber feel of the song. The lonely sounding intro and piano both compliment this feeling very well. The part at around 4:40 is changes the tone, but it's awesome to listen to.

16. Invisible Touch

This song is such a guilty pleasure for me. Definitely nothing prog about this, but it's a really upbeat song and is always a good song to listen to. I will say that the instrumental section is too short and should have been longer.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: Genesis Top 20 Now Up:Unlegit (Page 2)
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
Great choices besides the obvious one.  :tup

Offline masterthes

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 02:48:56 PM »
Invisible Touch is such 80's cheese, but yes, it is a guilty pleasure. That's All, however, is probably their best pop song

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Two great songs, two good songs, and one not-so-good song...

...Surprise! The not-so-good song is Epping Forest!
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 05:13:48 AM »
Hey, we have the same number one! Always nice to see that.  :tup
Was it predictable?
I didn't really think about it, honestly.  ;D

Anyway, Unlegit is up and it's already a promising list - I love The Battle of Epping Forest. One For The Vine is 16 places too low, though...  :smiley:

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »
Anyone heard the cover of "Fly on a Windscreen" by Controlled Bleeding on one of the Genesis tribute albums?  Killer cover.  One of the best.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
Anyone heard the cover of "Fly on a Windscreen" by Controlled Bleeding on one of the Genesis tribute albums?  Killer cover.  One of the best.
"Fly On A Windscreen" Lol.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »
My bad... Brain Fart.  "Broadway Melody"...  SOrry.  Its been a VERY long and trying day.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »
Oops, forgot about this. Here we go.

15. The Knife

The Knife is definitely one of the most popular Genesis songs from the early days, and for good reason. The soft instrumental section is a good break from the heavy verses. The organ and drums are the highlights.

14. Eleventh Earl of Mar

A great song from an underrated album. The lyrics are a bit odd, talking about his daddy and such. I really like the piano and vocal part and the transition from that back into the main song. The keyboard sound at :52 is worthy of looping and repeating.

13. Watcher of the Skies

What a great intro this song has. It has that really cool atmospheric sound with the mellotron. The mellotron sound is actually cool throughout the entire song. Archive 1 has a version of the song with a nice extension of the ending.

12. In the Cage

Great song from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. The other sections are really good, but the instrumental part is the best thing here. Banks had some really great keyboard sounds throughout the entire album, but this is one of the best.

11. Turn it on Again

13/4. That's what this song is in. Of course, it's basically just 4/4 three times, with an extra beat at the end, but it's still cool. The song itself is one of the best from the transition period. I love all the different medleys they did with this song throughout multiple tours. I recommend you check one out if you haven't already.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 09:20:34 AM »

Okay, Lolzeez.  Quick test of your music knowledge.  "Fly on a Windscreen" by....?  You have an edge if you're not American, I think.  That artist hasn't been valid in the states in well over a decade.

But damn, that really was a bit of a leap from "Broadway Melody...".  I guess the lyrics got stuck in my head.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
Great update 5/5  :tup
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »

Okay, Lolzeez.  Quick test of your music knowledge.  "Fly on a Windscreen" by....?  You have an edge if you're not American, I think.  That artist hasn't been valid in the states in well over a decade.

But damn, that really was a bit of a leap from "Broadway Melody...".  I guess the lyrics got stuck in my head.
Depeche Mode? Oh and btw awesome update!  :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »
11. Turn it on Again

13/4. That's what this song is in. Of course, it's basically just 4/4 three times, with an extra beat at the end, but it's still cool.

But it's not.  The main riff is divided 6+7, so if anything, it's 6/4 twice with an extra beat.  It's definitely not 4/4 three times because there are no fours.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »
11. Turn it on Again

13/4. That's what this song is in. Of course, it's basically just 4/4 three times, with an extra beat at the end, but it's still cool.

But it's not.  The main riff is divided 6+7, so if anything, it's 6/4 twice with an extra beat.  It's definitely not 4/4 three times because there are no fours.

You're right. My apologies.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
11. Turn it on Again

You might want to tell Genesis that - they've been going on and on and on for decades about how "Turn It On Again" was "in 13/8" (in various interviews, videos, biographies, etc. etc.).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »

Awesome song from an awesome album from an awesome band. :D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »
Guys, guys, guys... isn't it "Fly On A Windshield"?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 10:05:12 PM »
11. Turn it on Again

You might want to tell Genesis that - they've been going on and on and on for decades about how "Turn It On Again" was "in 13/8" (in various interviews, videos, biographies, etc. etc.).

-Marc.

Maybe it's a British thing.  To me, 13/8 sounds like an unusually long measure, but still a single bar, something you might actually see written.  So there's that.

But because the convention is to give the quarter note the beat, I'd call it 13/4 because the main riff is 13 beats long.  But a written transcription wouldn't say 13/4.  There would be alternating bars of 6/4 and 7/4; 13/4 is just too long for a single measure.  Or maybe there's another way to do it that I haven't thought of.  I could see 13/8 as an actual time signature, so maybe that's why Genesis think of it that way.

There aren't really hard and fast rules when the riff is that long.  If Genesis say it's 13/8, then I suppose it is.  But if you write up the sheet music for it, the idea is that someone has to actually read it, in which case you'd give the quarter note the beat, and I'd think that alternating bars of 6 and 7 best conveys the riff.

Something else I just thought of.  Mike originally came up with the riff as a slow, driving beat.  Like "I Can't Dance" but in 13.  Phil and Tony had trouble grooving with it, and they suggested speeding it up.  Perhaps that's why they think of it as 13/8, because originally it was 13/4, and they doubled it up.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2013, 02:23:45 AM »

Awesome song from an awesome album from an awesome band. :D
Used to like them but I haven't listened to their songs in ages!

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »
Guys, guys, guys... isn't it "Fly On A Windshield"?

-Marc.

Good ol' Depeche Mode.  Saw them a couple of times back in the day (Violator tour).

"windshield", "windscreen".  Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.  Iceberg, Goldberg.  Whatever.  I'm getting too old to keep track of my colloquialisms from various regions of the globe.  Granted, the "americanized" versions are so much easier to deal with.  I mean, you're liable to get lynched if you're looking to "light a fag" in the States.  Just have a smoke.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »
But it's not just a phrase, it's the proper title of the song.  You can't just substitute an equivalent expression.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »
But it's not just a phrase, it's the proper title of the song.  You can't just substitute an equivalent expression.

"The Lamb Lays Down On Broadway"
"Fly On A Windscreen"
"In The Case"
"Counting Off Time"
"The Waiting Area"
"There Goes The Supernatural Anesthetist"
"Dinner's Ready"
"Get'em Out By Thursday"
"The Blade"
"The Return Of The Huge Hogweed"
"Dance In A Volcano"
"Eleventh Earl Of

-Marc."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »
You so silly

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »
Funny.  Point taken.

Wasn't my intent, I just was tired and couldn't come up with the right words.  Sometimes words escape me in my old age.  At least I could be the fodder for your humorous remarks.
Really surprised you didn't conclude the "The Lamb Lays Down.." with the final song, "That". 

I love the "Huge Hogweed".  That's greatness, I must admit.
If you went with just album titles, you could have:

Selling Britain By The Quid
   ...And Then There Were a Few...
   One Side Studio

Um.... That's all I could come up with while I'm at work.  Anything else that floated through my head was way too stupid.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
Ugh, I had some good write-ups for these next songs but I accidentally clicked away without noticing and starting browsing the forums again... I'll just post the songs this time around. Sorry.

10. Los Endos

9. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

8. Dancing With the Moonlit Knight

7. Abacab

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2013, 11:28:06 PM »
Woot! Los Endos!

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 07:35:55 AM »
bump

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2013, 07:14:13 PM »
My apologies guys, I totally forgot about this thread.  :facepalm: Anyways, I'll just finish up my list here and then someone can take over if they want.

6. The Cinema Show

I love the really soft overall atmosphere of this song. It really is something else throughout the whole intro. The keyboards are definitely the highlight of this song, as they create the feel of it. The acoustic guitar doesn't hurt either.

5. Robbery, Assault and Battery

Very fun song to listen to. The 13/8 part is just stunning. The drumming is my favorite part of the song, and they get absolutely crazy during the instrumental section. Phil sort of copies the theatrics of Peter with the different singing parts, but I think they are done very well. Can't go wrong with this song.

4. Squonk

Another song off of A Trick of the Tail? Yes! This song totally defines the transition period. The drums are great, and while they are not as complex as Robbery, Assault, and Battery, they bring a cool feeling to the song. The song is mostly pretty hard rocking, but at the end, there is a really nice soft section with some organ. I wish this part did not fade out, or at least extended longer.

3. The Musical Box

What a fun song. I can't really say anything new about this song, as it is constantly heralding as one of the top Genesis songs. I will say that it is just a tad overrated, mostly because of the slightly too long intro, but still definitely one of their best.

2. Supper's Ready

Genesis' defining epic for sure. There's only one thing that keeps this from being my number 1: the intro. It is beautiful, but unfortunately, it takes just a little too long to develop for my tastes, and consequently, pushes this song down to number 2. Still, Supper's Ready is very deserving of all the praise it gets.

Also, at 3:38ish, is this very similar to the opening riff of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

1. Firth of Fifth

Close one between this and Supper's Ready, but ultimately Firth of Fifth takes the cake for me. Right from the piano intro, you can tell that the song is going to be amazing (too bad Tony Banks never really played the intro at all live). And it is. If you are not a fan of Genesis, you need to check out this song and Supper's Ready.

There's my list. Again, sorry that I forgot about this. Hope you enjoyed it! Whoever wants to go next can start as soon as they'd like!

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »
I love seeing Squonk placed that high. And Firth of Fifth is a very worthy #1.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »
Nice to see the Top 4 Songs from my Genesis Survivor in your Top 6!
1. Firth Of Fifth
2. Supper's Ready
3. The Musical Box
4. The Cinema Show

Ironically, the top 3 are YOUR top 3 in the SAME ORDER! Weird!

-Marc.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2013, 09:02:14 PM »
I think lots know my opinion on Firth. :lol Supper's Ready is my definite #1 though, and The Musical Box would also be in my top 5. Cinema Show in my top 10. Nice choices. :tup