Author Topic: People we lost in 2012, now incl. Charles Durning & Jack Klugman  (Read 715 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
People we lost in 2012, now incl. Charles Durning & Jack Klugman
« on: December 25, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »
Jack Klugman died yesterday at 90, Charles Durning today at 89. Two wonderful men and fantastic actors.

I was a big fan of the TV Odd Couple, and any one of the "12 Angry Men" automatically has a small place in film history. Just read he was the last of the 12 to pass.

I first saw Charles Durning in The Sting, and he was stellar in everything else I'd see him in. Dog Day Afternoon, Tootsie, and maybe my favorite, an episode of NCIS. And dude fought at Normandy and in the Battle of the Bulge.

Ernest Borgnine. The Wild Bunch. The Dirty Dozen. Enough said.

Lots of musical stars passed in 2012. But the one that still doesn't seem real is Davy Jones. I know their star has long since faded, but I will always be a huge Monkees fan. Was there ever a less imposing star in the history of music?

Is it wrong that this time of year I always wonder how El Barto did in his pool?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: People we lost in 2012, now incl. Charles Durning & Jack Klugman
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
Two that hit me hard this year were Jon Lord, and Joel Goldsmith.
RIP to all of the great people we lost this year.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
*moment of silence for Jack Klugman and Charles Durning*

Like Blob posted, RIP to those we lost this year.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
I'd forgotten about Klugman in 12 Angry Men (although to be honest, I preferred the remake).  Plus, I was a huge fan of  Quincy growing up.  Great show for impressionable youths.

Borgnine was a crucial part in The Wild Bunch.  It was the final unspoken decision at the end which made the whole movie come together, and he was the one that really sold it. 

Durning was great in Dog Day Afternoon.  Played an interesting role as the high strung but generally good natured sergeant, contrasting beautifully with the spooky-ass Agent Sheldon.

Flying under everybody's radar was Mike Scaccia.  Best known for being Ministry's guitarist, but for those of us from Dallas, he was better known as one of the founders of Rigor Mortis.  I probably met guy once or twice at parties, but don't really have much recollection, compared to his RM bandmates.  He dropped dead on stage in Fort Worth two nights ago. 

As for my pool endeavors, I did alright, but not great.  Coincidentally, Klugman's death knocked me out of the top 20 in one of my pools.  He wasn't worth many points, but he was on seemingly everybody's list but mine.  Anyhoo, my hits for this year were: Abdelbaset Al Megrahi, Robin Gibb, Etta James, Joseph "JoePa" Paterno, Steve Sabol, Jim Stynes, and Andy Williams.  Looking forward to a better showing next year, as I've been scouring the entertainment rags and making notes of who's doing what sort of drugs.  Couple of fairly young junkies gonna score me some big points. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ruba

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »
Flying under everybody's radar was Mike Scaccia.  Best known for being Ministry's guitarist, but for those of us from Dallas, he was better known as one of the founders of Rigor Mortis.  I probably met guy once or twice at parties, but don't really have much recollection, compared to his RM bandmates.  He dropped dead on stage in Fort Worth two nights ago.

I was going to post this.

I am a huge Ministry fan, like some of you must know. For me, Mike has been THE Ministry solo guitarist. He really knew how to shred, but not only for sake of playing fast. His fast solos very melodic and I love all those weird feedbacks on Filth Pig-album. The outro solo in Crumbs gets me everytime.

I was very happy, when I saw that he was involved in songwriting in Ministry's latest Relapse album. And I was totally floored when I heard the solo in the magnificent opening track Ghouldiggers. His solo in Weekend Warrior is also golden.

Playing in Ministry seems to raise the risk of dying young. Their live guitarist William Tucker committed a suicide in 1998 and the bassist Paul Raven died in 2007, because of heart attack.

I'm still shocked. Rest in Peace Mike Scaccia, you will never be forgotten. I'll play Ministry's Hero for your honor now.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:17:03 AM »
And we didn't even get Kony...  :-\

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:31:25 AM »
Some other big names passed this year.

Andy Griffith

Phyllis Diller

Dick Clark

Mike Wallace

Ronnie Montrose

And no matter what we think of her life choices, Whitney Houston was a tragic loss. 

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 11:23:23 AM »
Ray Collins (Mothers Of Invention) 12-24-2012
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.