Author Topic: A sergeant serving on D-Day answering questions on Reddit.  (Read 863 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
A sergeant serving on D-Day answering questions on Reddit.
« on: December 25, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
I am Ernest Moore; I served in WW2 as Sergeant under 713 LCPL Mine Sweeping Flotilla and Corporal in the British SBS.

I am his grandson and he is willing to answer absolutely anything about his time in WW2. Please be patient as I answer as many questions as detailed as possible.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/15fd20/i_am_ernest_moore_i_served_in_ww2_as_sergeant/

Fantastic stuff to read.

This question gave me chills and something i always wondered myself:
Can you describe what you were thinking and feeling approaching the battle of D-Day? What was it like to be there and not knowing what would happen to you? It's cool to see vivid re-enactments like movies but nothing beats first hand experience.

SgtErnestMoore
Everything was silent. I was in a boat with fellow British Troops. The American's however, were shouting out threats in an attempt to boost morale. My thoughts were always back home with my family.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: A sergeant serving on D-Day answering questions on Reddit.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:22:51 PM »
Good read.  The British mentality towards sucking it up and just doing the shit that needs to be done has always intrigued me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:36:52 PM »
"Twice to my knowledge they've had to lower the standards for joining the forces because people of my caliber are simply not about anymore. "
:lol
Initially, I laughed, but it's actually kind of sad.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 10:47:34 PM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 11:05:28 PM »
Way too true than it should be. It is pathetic. Anyway, good read; very interesting. My grandfather is a WWII vet and I talk with him about his time in the war every chance I get and it is truly harrowing, terrifying, bloodcurdling experiences every fucking time; what really gets me is that he's stone cold while telling the stories, as if he's trapped in that time and state of mind despite the fact that he's done a lot with his life since then. My sisters will be tearing up as he tells the stories and he's just  :|. It almost makes me want to laugh how badass he is, but then the reality sets in that it's with him even now. I'm sure this man lives it everyday. Many different emotions.  :-\

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 06:26:59 AM »
Wow TioJorge, awesome to hear about your grandfather. It's facinating and yet scary when you think about all the stories and memories all these vets have that most of us will never fully understand unless your been there.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:47:49 AM »
My grandfather was also at Normandy.  He was in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.  He never really talked about it much.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »
Both of my grandfathers were WWII vets. One did clean up duty on the battlefields in Italy. I can't begin to imagine the horrors he saw. He was a quiet and loving man,but never mentioned the war at all. I know my dad talked with him about it a bit, and my dad wont talk much about what they shared either. He passedaway when I was in my early twenties and still didn't understand the importance of family lore.

My other grandfather was a Marine in the South Pacific. He passed away about seven years ago, and a few weeks before he died, I was able to sit with him and hear his stories of the war and more importanly of the lifelong bonds that were formed there. I will always be grateful for taking the time to hear that part of his story.