Author Topic: After Earth  (Read 3713 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
After Earth
« on: December 24, 2012, 09:52:21 AM »
Okay so 'After Earth' is a new movie coming out 2013 made by M Night Shyamalan. I have learned by now that one should not get overly excited over a new Shyamalan movie and I'm not. I'm keeping my expectations at a reasonably low level. That being said, this new film of his looks pretty different than what he usually does. That can either actually be something cool, or it could crash and burn.

The Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZIt20emgLY

Okay so this is the only trailer so far of this movie and I have to say that there is some cool imagery in there. And Will Smith is a good actor, that's just how it is. It sets up a pretty good tone and it makes the movie look at least kinda cool. But then again, which trailer doesn't.

The Website:
https://www.afterearth.com/site/

The official website for the movie is also up. First of all, that is some great 'music' in the background. If that is in the score I'm at least pumped for the score. Also what suprised me was the actually pretty cool backstory presented here on the website. That is some cool stuff and if this is executed well it could actually be cool.

So what are your thoughts on this new Shyamalan project? Have you heard of it at all? Are you a Shyamalan fan?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: After Earth
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
Seems like it could be okay... My one question right now is...how far in the future does this take place? If every specie on the planet evolved to kill humans, and there were eventually no humans left, that evolutionary trait would breed out of them over time.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:30:25 AM »
Seems like it has potential...kind of a cool concept.  Just read the info on the website, lotta stuff going on in the story.

However, this IS an M. Night Shyamalan movie and he has a propensity to fuck up potentially good movies, so like BlackInk I'll hold my judgements until it comes out.

Also, the kid that plays Will Smith's son is actually Jaden Smith....Will Smith's son....Pursuit of Happyness 2.0!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »
My one question right now is...how far in the future does this take place? If every specie on the planet evolved to kill humans, and there were eventually no humans left, that evolutionary trait would breed out of them over time.

From what I can see on the website, this is probably 500 - 600 years from now. There's not much to go on though so that could be wrong.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 11:43:09 PM »
Saw the trailer for this before The Hobbit and I'm pretty sure M. Night's name wasn't even mentioned on the thing, but I could've just missed it.  Anyways, the trailer was meh and I'm not all that interested in this.  However, now that I know it's a M. Night movie, I'm wondering... is this the sequel to The Happening?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 04:55:27 AM »
However, now that I know it's a M. Night movie, I'm wondering... is this the sequel to The Happening?

THAT would be very weird

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 07:39:21 AM »
Saw the trailer for this before The Hobbit and I'm pretty sure M. Night's name wasn't even mentioned on the thing, but I could've just missed it.  Anyways, the trailer was meh and I'm not all that interested in this.  However, now that I know it's a M. Night movie, I'm wondering... is this the sequel to The Happening?
No, I don't remember seeing his name either. Maybe that's his new marketing strategy.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:03:31 AM »
New trailer:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/08/watch-the-new-trailer-for-shyamalans-after-earth

This movie is actually starting to look pretty good.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:50:03 AM »
I'm 100% onboard for this movie now. That trailer was awesome. So where are all the humans training in the beginning? To me it looks like we may have colonized Mars, but the moon they show is too close and too spherical to be one of Mars'.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 07:09:41 AM »
I'm on board. I love post apocalyptic / man has been humbled type movies. Heck, I even liked The Postman and Waterworld. Plus, I like Will Smith. It bugs me his son is being thrust upon us but I'll give him a shot.
  I'm also on board for the upcoming Tom Cruise movie 'Oblivian' it looks pretty neat also.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 07:17:22 AM »
Learning M. Night Shyamalan wrote the screenplay gave me some doubts about the movie, but I'm still on board because Gary Whitta also worked on it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:30:33 AM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 07:21:43 AM »
I'm on board. I love post apocalyptic / man has been humbled type movies. Heck, I even liked The Postman and Waterworld. Plus, I like Will Smith. It bugs me his son is being thrust upon us but I'll give him a shot.
  I'm also on board for the upcoming Tom Cruise movie 'Oblivian' it looks pretty neat also.

I loved his kid in The Pursuit of Happyness

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 07:31:18 AM »

I loved his kid in The Pursuit of Happyness
Yeah he was. My issue is more of jealousy than anything. Like most of the actors/actresses in Hollywood...it's really not about talent. It's about who they know and being born into it. The more and more you look into it all those folk out there are either related or tied together somehow.
   Will's kid may be an awesome actor but he only got the shot cuz he's Wills kid
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:31:28 AM »
Personally...I like M. Nights movies. I have not seen the Airbender film, but it's not like I havent been entertained by all of his other films that I've seen. The Happening, Lady in the Water, The Village, Signs, Unbreakable, Devil...all we're entertaining for me. I really think his one great "flaw" in film making- was jumping off in a big way with Sixth Sense. Since that time everything else he's done has been held up to that film, and one could argue that none of those aforementioned films comes even close to that movie and story. Could all of those other films have gone in a different direction or taken another turn and gone over the psy-thriller edge? Sure. Just like I might write something about a dark, slithering, malevolent creature that lives in the storm sewer on a suburban cul-de-sac, I could just as easily write about a raccoon that dwells there as well. I can see how he takes the viewer to a certain point in the story and when you anticipate and hope that "the shits about to go down", he can leave you feeling unsatisifed because he doesn't "step off the curb" so to speak,. But I think you're still entertained along the journey nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:39:29 AM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »
Personally...I like M. Nights movies.

You're not alone there. The Happening wasn't bad, it was okay, Signs was pretty good and The Village is amazing. It's just Lady In the Water and Airbender I really don't like.

I'm 100% onboard for this movie now. That trailer was awesome. So where are all the humans training in the beginning? To me it looks like we may have colonized Mars, but the moon they show is too close and too spherical to be one of Mars'.

I think there's information on that on the official website I posted in the OP.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »

I think there's information on that on the official website I posted in the OP.
[/quote]

In that case, I'm just going to let it be a mystery. I want to go into this movie knowing no more than I do now.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 11:27:27 PM »
I have a few of issues with that plot. First off, how does everything on Earth have the mental capacity to go "Okay, humans are a problem. Let's all evolve to hunt those fuckers down."? Second, how does that evolution even take place in such a short time that humans still exist (albeit on another planet)? Third, what would be their reasoning for evolving in such a way, and lastly, wouldn't evolving in that manner alter the course of the planet's ecosystem?

I feel that the concept would've been much more believable if they had said "This planet is hostile as fuck, it's quarantined for a reason.", but alas, Hollywood has to make everything human-centric.

It looks like it could be an enjoyable film to watch, though. The action in the preview looked pretty good.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 06:07:58 AM »
Do my eyes deceive me?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 08:57:05 AM »
M. Night Shyamalolan. Wonder what the twist is?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »
Shyamalan AND Will Smith?

Include me out.  :tdwn
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 10:21:32 AM »
The Plants are the People and the People are the Plants!  :o

zomg!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 11:01:11 AM »
Maybe the twist is that it's a good film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 11:05:11 AM »

Shyamalan I can completely understand, but what's wrong with Will Smith?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »
Oh. Shy-am-a-la-ma-ding-dong

Shy-am-a-la-ma-ding-dong we hate you

And  Shy-am-a-la-ma-ding-dong

Shy-am-a-la-ma-ding-dong  Hates us too !

M. Night. Shy-am-a-la-ma-ding-dong - Our one good movie friend !

M. Night. Shy-am-a-la-ma-ding-dong  Our One Good Movie Friend !

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 04:55:34 AM »

Shyamalan I can completely understand, but what's wrong with Will Smith?
He always portrays Will Smith.  Unless he's portraying Muhammed Ali.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »
Looks cool, but I'm cautious because it's Shyamalan. Will see it, though.

I also wonder about how the evolution/time stuff lines up... but I think the planet and most of its inhabitants currently have very good reasons to WANT to kill humans  ;)
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »
Looks cool, but I'm cautious because it's Shyamalan. Will see it, though.

I also wonder about how the evolution/time stuff lines up... but I think the planet and most of its inhabitants currently have very good reasons to WANT to kill humans  ;)

Yeah, looks like an environmental subtext (stating the obvious I realize).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »
If Hollywood is the only thing to wake people up in regards to the to environment.. so be it.