Author Topic: Rush Top 50  (Read 6557 times)

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush Top 50
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
Subdivisions is my all time favorite Rush track.  Limelight is top three.  Also in the top five for me is Distant Early Warning and Natural Science; so hopefully one or both make the cut.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »
Surprising to see Leave That Thing Alone! that high.

Time Stand Still and Force Ten are very underrated songs, true gems.

The video for Time Stand Still is a pure cheesfest, and I love it!

Not even as half cheesy as Distant Early Warning  :P.

:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »

By my estimation, it's way too low.  I still say it is the best Rush song of the last 30 years and one of their 10 best ever.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »
I'd go as far to say it's my favourite Rush instrumental.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »

By my estimation, it's way too low.  I still say it is the best Rush song of the last 30 years and one of their 10 best ever.

For me, it is a cool little instrumental track, I have nothing to complain about it, but it doesn't really shine neither. It is very well placed on Counterparts though.

I'd say The Main Monkey Business is way better.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »
And we are in the top ten! I'm actually going to post 2 right now, and 3 later (that either means later tonight or tomorrow).

10. Cygnus X-1

The first part of the Cygnus X-1 pair of songs off of A Farewell to Kings. There is only one thing keeping this song from being any higher: the heavily distorted spoken word introduction. It is almost exactly like The Necromancer. The electronic background sounds are actually quite cool, but I always want to skip the first minute because of the voice. After the intro, the bass fades in slowly with a really cool groove before the rest of the band joins in. The vocals are great, especially the scream at the end, which I believe is the highest note Geddy Lee hits in studio. The best part of the song is the last section of the song, right before the famed scream. It is so heavy, especially with the brass-sounding synth and the busy drums.

9. YYZ

This had to show up eventually, didn't it? I just love how loud the bass is mixed in the song, even loud by Rush standards. That may be the best part of this song, even though there are some other awesome things too. One of those would be the middle section with the drum fills trading off with a bass groove and guitar. And of course, the guitar solo is great as well, especially with the broken glass. It is hard to pick what you like best, because everything about the song is amazing.

More to come!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
Bravo!

My bets for songs yet to come:
Dog Years
Half the World
Tai Shan
Superconductor

:biggrin:

Seriously, the obvious ones have been said, but I'll guess for Vital Signs, Double Agent and Afterimage.

E: Hai Rush-experts, has YYZ been played on every tour since 1981?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
Bravo!

My bets for songs yet to come:
Dog Years
Half the World
Tai Shan
Superconductor

:biggrin:

Seriously, the obvious ones have been said, but I'll guess for Vital Signs, Double Agent and Afterimage.

"YYZ" was not played during the Roll The Bones Tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:27 PM »

-Marc.

And the fans went protesting to Geddy's house with torches and pitchforks  :biggrin:?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »

-Marc.

And the fans went protesting to Geddy's house with torches and pitchforks  :biggrin:?

and they recorded it, got in their time machine, and used it for the intro to "Witch Hunt"
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »

-Marc.

Well, I like to think Rush listens to their fans well, even back then. After the RTB tour, "YYZ" has been played ever since, and on the CP and TFE tours, "YYZ" was played as the encore! And speaking of the CP Tour, it remains to be the only tour on which no part of "2112" was ever played, but on the next tour, they brought out the whole damn thing!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »

-Marc.

and they recorded it, got in their time machine, and used it for the intro to "Witch Hunt"

:lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2012, 02:02:28 PM »

-Marc.

Very good  :lol :clap:.

Well, I like to think Rush listens to their fans well, even back then. After the RTB tour, "YYZ" has been played ever since, and on the CP and TFE tours, "YYZ" was played as the encore! And speaking of the CP Tour, it remains to be the only tour on which no part of "2112" was ever played, but on the next tour, they brought out the whole damn thing!

-Marc.

I think that after 2112 was released, they were afraid that world wouldn't be able the handle the awesome and would have been in some way or another be destructed, if they'll play the entire song.

But after seeing the horrors of 1990s eurotranceboom, they realized that this world of ours is after all quite strong and brought us some prog rock awesomeness to comfort us.

Got to listen to Different Stages some day.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »
Two for two so far.  :metal
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2012, 02:40:07 PM »
As much as I love Cygnus X-1, I'm not sure if it would be in my top 10. Definitely top 20 though.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
Bravo!

I love Afterimage, but I'd be really surprised if it's in a top 10.

And I'll be disappointed if Vital Signs shows up.  Definitely not top-10 worthy; probably in my bottom 25% of Rush songs.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:58 PM »
As much as I love Cygnus X-1, I'm not sure if it would be in my top 10. Definitely top 20 though.

Book 1 is in my top 3.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2013, 12:42:41 PM »
8. Natural Science

The last multi-part epic Rush has ever made. The intro, with the echoed vocals and acoustic guitar, is really cool and serves as an awesome build up to the next part. The riff in this part is awesome, vocals are well sung and the drums are phenomenal. However, I think the sound effects make this section amazing. They go along really well with the interesting lyrics and play with your mind. The fill at 3:52 is just insane. The final part changes at around 5:05. This is more straight-forward rock, but it's still really good, and the shredding guitar solo is great too. This song is a great farewell to their truly prog rock era, especially with the waves fading out at the end.

7. Red Barchetta

While this isn't the proggiest track Rush ever recorded, it's just so fun to listen to. The beginning is very relaxing, and it gets progressively more rocked out. I think the lyrics are about a future where you cannot drive cars, and the uncle kept one to drive, so the police chase him, but I'm not really sure. Anyways, they are still really clever, and definitely not normal car song lyrics. My favorite part is at 3:50, directly after the guitar solo. It just sounds so good, with the perfect mix of synth, guitar, drums, bass, and vocals. The outro is also amazing though. I wish I could hear what they did after the fadeout, as they continue to play when the song gets quieter.

6. Marathon

Here's the oddball Power Windows track, which I believe someone did call. This is one of Rush's most underrated tunes in my opinion. It was so cool that this song was brought back for the Time Machine tour, after resting it for nearly 20 years. Using running a marathon as a metaphor for life is pretty ingenious. The bass is not mixed very high, but Geddy's lyrics more than make up for this. His vocals are one of the best of the synth era. Neil is great as always on the drums. Unlike most songs in this era, Alex has a pretty big role in this song, besides the chorus, which instead has some great keyboard. I consider his guitar solo one of his most underrated, if not the most underrated. After the solo, there is a really cool slow break that builds back up into the final chorus. Oh yeah, did I mention that they brought in an orchestra for the final chorus and outro? That's so cool! Like Red Barchetta, I really want to hear what they do after they fadeout.

Next update is going to be the top 5!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
Ah, Marathon.  Great choice.  Probably my favorite off Power Windows if I had to pick one, which is hard.  Everything about it is perfection.  great vocals, great drama, great solo, great use of the chorus, great blending of lyrics and music.

Natural Science, can't go wrong, and Red Barchetta, great tune.  But Marathon is the choice pick here.  It transcends 80s cheesy synths into greatness.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »
Three brilliant songs :hefdaddy

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »
Natural Science is a top 3 for me. Marathon and Red Barchetta are also favorites of mine.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 01, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »
love marathon  :hefdaddy
really only got into it around the time machine tour, cause it was my first rush show and i wasn't familiar with the synth era as much.  love it tho  ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2013, 03:36:25 AM »
Three all-time greats. From any band.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2013, 01:17:46 PM »
5. 2112

Blah blah blah. Obviously this song had to come out soon enough. This song was the perfect transition from their more simple hard rock era to their truly progressive era. This song connected them with the masses. This song gained them worldwide fame. Of course, you can't forget about the shorter songs on 2112 as an album, but this was obviously the main part of the album.

Overture sets the stage for the rest of the song with its great synth-laden intro, awesome guitar solo, and of course, the part starting at 3:30. When played live, everyone would fist pump all the while shouting "Hey!" in time with the music. Still, even in studio, this part is epic. There is a short, soft break before going into The Temples of Syrinx, and that just makes it even heavier. The guitar riff and drums are certainly strong, but Geddy's vocals shine here. They are some of the highest he's ever done, and it's for almost 2 minutes straight. Rush was forced to tune the song down in recent years because he just couldn't sing that for every night of the tour.

Discovery is a good break from the heaviness of The Temples of Syrinx. The part starts with the peaceful sounds of a waterfall and Alex tuning his guitar. Geddy's voice is very nice here. I don't know why they chose to omit this part when playing it live in the 70's. The section progressively gets faster and louder before going into another rocked out tune: Presentation. Presentation is the turning part of the album. It shows Geddy as the main character of the album, with his softer voice, as well as the priests, with his high screamed vocals. At the end of the part, Alex plays a good fast-paced solo.

Oracle is another part that was unfortunately left out when performed live. It's short, but I like it a lot. Neil does some really cool stuff on the drums. Soliloquy is the darkest part of the song. The narrator ends up killing himself, and the solo right before it is sorrowful and almost signifies this. Grand Finale is the best part, easily. The guitar riff is just amazing, especially when backed by the bass and the solo as well. The drums are crazy good as always. "Attention all planets of the solar federation. We have assumed control. We have assumed control. We have assumed control."

4. Hemispheres

The other side-long epic. Hemispheres is basically everything 2112 was and better. It refined what few flaws 2112 had. It continued the story on from A Farewell to Kings. This also signified the end of an era, as they couldn't really expand anymore into the prog side of Rush, so they just went another - just as good, mind you - direction. Still, if you were to pick a song that showed Rush's progginess, this would be one to consider.

Prelude sets the stage of the song, much like Overture did for 2112, showcasing many riffs and other things found later on in the song. Geddy's vocals are the highlight of this part: "Every Soul a Battlefield!" There is silence after this part, separating it from the next part: Apollo. Apollo and Dionysus battle back and forth for control over the people. They are basically the same part, just with different lyrics. The song immediately launches into Armageddon, which ties for my favorite part. I love that it is mostly in 15/8, split up into 7/8 and 8/8. The solo is really cool, as it switches back and forth through each channel. The people from Cygnus X-1 return at the end of the song.

The guitar chords at the end of the Cygnus X-1 are played at the beginning of Cygnus. You can also hear slight bits of audio from Cygnus X-1 during the soft keyboard part. This part is really nice, as it is only keyboards and Geddy singing. Then, suddenly, the full band comes back in, taking you completely off guard. This part shows the narrator from Cygnus X-1 becoming Cygnus, the God of Balance. Fitting, huh? The song supposedly ends on the free-form ending and the gong, but there is one more short part. The Sphere is tied as my favorite part with Armageddon. It is just acoustic guitar with very peaceful singing by Geddy. It concludes the epic, and in my opinion, should have closed the album. I can also see it as Rush saying that they're done with the prog era, and moving onto something new.

Hoped you enjoyed these long write-ups. I was basically just typing what I felt while I listened to both songs. You guys are doing pretty well with the guessing, but there is one more song that's a major curveball. I'll likely unveil it tonight, and finish the last two songs tomorrow morning.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »
2112 is legendary. I love every note and sound of it.

Hemispheres- I don't. I loved AFTK- adored it, and Cygnus Part 1 was a huge part of that. Book 2 is boring, the story and lyrics are rubbish and there's no dynamics to it. There are some decent parts but it was a huge letdown from the song I loved on AFTK. Side 2 is better than side 2 of 2112 for me, and the only reason to play this album at all. And yes, I know I'm in the minority on this, and no I'm trolling  ;D  Oh and I don't like the guitar sound. A big step back from AFTK.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »
Well, here's the top 3. I may write some stuff for them later; don't really feel like doing it right now.  :P

3. The Enemy Within

YOU READ THAT RIGHT!

2. La Villa Strangiato

1. Tai Shan

No.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:34:56 PM by Unlegit »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »
1. Tai Shan

YOU READ THAT RIGHT AS WELL!

A little early for April Fools, isn't it? :neverusethis:

-Marc.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2013, 02:46:24 PM »
1. Tai Shan

-Marc.

It's not April Fools.  :tdwn

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »
1. Tai Shan

-Marc.

I know it isn't...it's just a little shocking is all. I mean, considering even the band themselves dislike the song after having some distance from it, it's odd for anyone to consider it in their top 10 Rush songs, or let alone 20! Not that I'm knocking you down or anything, but it's just an unusual choice to me. I do like it, and I don't have the universal hatred for it that most Rush fans seem to have, but it's definitely not Top 10 material to me. But to each their own!

-Marc.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »
1. Tai Shan

-Marc.

I know it isn't...it's just a little shocking is all. I mean, considering even the band themselves dislike the song after having some distance from it, it's odd for anyone to consider it in their top 10 Rush songs, or let alone 20! Not that I'm knocking you down or anything, but it's just an unusual choice to me. I do like it, and I don't have the universal hatred for it that most Rush fans seem to have, but it's definitely not Top 10 material to me. But to each their own!

-Marc.

Actually, yeah, I don't hate it either as much as other people, it's certainly not the worst song they've done, but it's not one of their best either. It definitely isn't my number one though  :laugh:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2013, 03:27:52 PM »
It's "Xanadu", isn't it??

-Marc.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »
How do people feel about "Halo Effect"?

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »
How do people feel about "Halo Effect"?

It's in the lower reaches of Clockwork Angels for me, but certainly a lot better than some of the stuff they've done.

It's "Xanadu", isn't it??

-Marc.

Could be.  :\

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »
Another fan of Tai Shan here. Nowhere near their worst song, not even the worst on HYF.

But yes, my vote is Xanadu for the real no 1.