Author Topic: Pink Floyd Top 20 - Now Up: wasteland (Page 5)  (Read 7398 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pink Floyd Top 20 - Now Up: Unlegit (Page 4)
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2013, 08:41:17 PM »
I've always liked Alan's psychedelic breakfast, good choice. Take it back is a great song that I didn't expect see here. What do you want from me is good too, there is a song on gilmours first album that has the same intro guitar solo.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »
Sorry. It's clear that I can't keep up with these lists. I'll (try to) post a big update tonight.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2013, 10:25:13 PM »
16. Atom Heart Mother

The longest Pink Floyd song (aside from Shine On You Crazy Diamond if it is pieced together). This is the first real epic that Pink Floyd ever attempted, and thus, is flawed in some ways, similar to The Fountain of Lamneth. However, the Funky Dung part as well as the finale are both very strong parts of the suite.

15. Dogs

One of the most overrated Pink Floyd songs ever in my opinion. The first couple minutes and the ending are both really good, but the middle ambient section completely drags the song down. It goes on droning for much longer than it needs to be. If they had cut out half or so of this section, the song would work much better. Still, it's an enjoyable listen from time to time, especially the guitar solo starting at about 3:50.

14. Any Colour You Like

Great underrated song from The Dark Side of the Moon. It is pretty much instrumental, but there is some soft singing in the background. The synth and the guitar solo are both highlights. Also, live versions of this song performed during 1975 improve the song even more. I highly recommend that you listen to those extended versions.

13. Hey You

Opening the second disc of The Wall, Hey You is definitely one of the highlights off of the album. Like the rest of the album, it is extremely dark in tone, but it works to its advantage. I really like the contrasting of Gilmour's softer and more relaxing vocals and Waters' higher pitched singing. The part directly after the guitar solo has an awesome chord progression.

12. Us and Them

Us and Them is the longest song off of The Dark Side of the Moon. Aside from the annoying background singers in the chorus, which sort of kill the very soft mood throughout the rest of the song, it is great. I'm a big fan of saxophone, and this song is no different. The two solos are very good, with the second one being slightly stronger than the former.

11. Run Like Hell

While this is not one of Pink Floyd proggier songs, it is still performed amazingly well. The slightly dampened(?) guitar sound fits great with the "Run, Run, Run" chant as well as the echoed vocals that constantly switch through each channel. I was never a fan of the sound effects at the end, but luckily the song doesn't fade out on it like Another Brick in the Wall (Part II) and ends on a hard chord.

10. Pigs (Three Different Ones)

The second song off Animals in this update. This song suffers from following pretty much the same chord progression throughout the entire song, however, the chords are constantly being improved and experimented on. The talk box solo is quite cool, but the best part is the ending guitar solo, which is one of my favorite Gilmour solos ever. It's awesome that Pink Floyd extended this song during live performances, similar to Any Colour You Like.

Here's my update. Again, my apologies for the very delayed. I'll really make an effort to not forget about this and finish by the end of the week, but obviously no guarantees. Hope you enjoyed reading these so far.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2013, 05:21:05 AM »
Some great picks there. There was a time where I really loved Atom Heart but I rarely listen to it anymore. Not a big fan of pigs or dogs.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »
Great picks! I agree that Dogs could use some shortening, but to me, it's still far superior to Pigs. I'm no big fan of Any Colour You Like or Atom Heart Mother, though, both fail to hold my interest throughout, even though there are some cool parts in both.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2013, 10:44:32 PM »
9. Learning to Fly

Definitely not in the vein of a "regular" Pink Floyd song (if that even exists), but I've gotta say, they completely nailed it. Very disappointing that this song only made it to the consolation. I really enjoy the very relaxing sort of mood the vocals and instruments make. The chorus is amazing with the background singers coupled Gilmour's almost whispered singing.

8. One of These Days

Intense. Heavy. Crazy. Easily one of Pink Floyd's most "rocked out" songs ever, if not the most rocked out (I'm sure there is a song I'm missing). Obviously the bassline is the forefront of the song, but all the instruments shine here. Although half of the song is building up to the climax, it is so cool anticipating when the full band kicks in. The PULSE version is pure amazingness.

7. Time

One of the most popular Pink Floyd songs, and for good reason. The two and half minute opening with the ringing and chiming of clocks and alarms before going into the mysterious intro is very atmospheric. Of course, the main focus of the song is the amazing guitar solo, however the rest of the song, especially the reprise of Breathe, is all awesome stuff.

6. Wish You Were Here

A perfect song to listen to when wishing to relax and chill. The opening fading in from Have a Cigar with the radio-like sounding guitar and the ending fading out into the wooshing sounds of Shine On You Crazy Diamond is just ingenious. Not much more I can say about this song, but it's just so peaceful.

Next update will have two more songs, and then I'll reveal the final two in the last update. Stay tuned!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2013, 06:04:09 AM »
w00t! Learning to Fly, I love that song. I always prefer live versions, Tim always adds a great solo to the song.

The rest of this list is great :tup

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2013, 06:17:43 AM »
Four great songs, though I would only place Time quite as high. Great to see some more love for One Of These Days (though it's not on PULSE - I suspect you're talking about Delicate Sound of Thunder?).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2013, 07:49:56 AM »
One of These Days is on the Pulse DVD, though. ;)  And they did release a live version from The Division Bell tour on the High Hopes single.

But yeah, the live versions from the last two Floyd tours obliterate the original. Gilmour's tone was too heavy on the studio version and made the latter half of the song sound too noisy.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2013, 08:03:24 AM »
Gotcha! :tup I only have the CD, but according to Wiki, it's only on the cassette and LP version.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
Shame they didn't include it on the CD

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
5. Money

This is the first Pink Floyd song I ever heard, and it still remains one of my favorites today. I've never understood why it isn't that favored among the majority of fans. The 7/4 time signature throughout most of the song, aside from the guitar solo, seems so natural. The saxophone solo is great but it is shadowed but the amazing guitar solo following it.

4. Comfortably Numb

This had to show up sometime, didn't it? I'd consider this the most popular Pink Floyd song, but that is arguable. Anyways, it is definitely deserving of being so popular. Of course, the amazing ending guitar solo is the main focus of the song, but everything else is very strong as well. Waters' vocals are great during the verses, and Gilmour has some of his best parts during the chorus. The first guitar solo is often forgotten in wake of its rival, but that one is awesome too. I highly recommend checking out the PULSE live version; it is even better than the original in some ways.

3. Sheep

This is one of the more under appreciated songs of Pink Floyd's vast catalog. While Animals is considered one of Pink Floyd's best albums, this song is usually not that appreciated. That's a shame, because it is so great. The keyboard intro is quite awesome, especially when the bass slowly fades in and the drums kick in too. The whole song is awesome, but the best part is definitely the outro, which may be my favorite Pink Floyd moment of all time. The guitar riff is just delicious, and is even better backed by the bass and keyboard. And at the end, you have some sounds of sheep - fitting, I suppose.

Last update coming soon! I think we all know what the two songs are going to be, but the question is, in what order? Hope you enjoyed reading this write ups.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #153 on: February 17, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »
Three great songs that I ranked similarly high, I believe. I agree with you on Money, it's a shame that so many people dismiss it. The main groove of the song is fantastic.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
Gotcha! :tup I only have the CD, but according to Wiki, it's only on the cassette and LP version.

Check it out on the DVD, it's really a great song.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »
2. Echoes

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond

No point in explaining both songs, as they're both so well known and almost universally considered to be Pink Floyd's finest works ever. Hope you enjoyed my list! Sorry it took so long there in the middle, picked it up a bit though at the end. Anyways, whoever's up next can start!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2013, 02:09:07 PM »
Great songs, both in my Top 3. Also, you have the same Top 3 as Reap and me! :hifive:

Marco, you're up.