Author Topic: Pink Floyd Top 20 - Now Up: wasteland (Page 5)  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Pink Floyd Top 20 - Now Up: ReaperKK (Page 3)
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2013, 08:16:01 AM »
Thumbs up for Have a cigar.  :tup Echoes is also great, I guess I'd rank it around #9 as well, being that I don't enjoy the noisy psychedelic section as much as the rest of the song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2013, 09:00:01 AM »
I gotta say that "Have a Cigar" doesn't really do it for me. I can't put my finger on what it is, but there is something about it musically that just doesn't work for me. I can appreciate the lyrics (because they are great) and the song from an objective view, but it's kinda the song that brings down the album as a whole for me. With that said it's not bad, just not.. great.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »
Echoes should be higher, but good picks!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2013, 06:09:18 AM »
8. Time - Dark Side Of The Moon - I used to love this song because it was a cool song. It had a interesting opening with the clocks, which kicks into this dark sort of drum solo section. The verses are song beautifully, the back and forth between David and Richard is perfect and it all comes to an end with the reprise of Breathe. Over the years though I've really appreciate the song more because of the lyrics. It's truly great writing about getting older and some of the lines really stick with me. Off DSoTM I think this song stands the best on it's own.

7. Learning To Fly - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason - AMLoR is my first cd ever, I think I may still have it somewhere. Anyway it has a very special place in my heart because I'd come home from elementary school and I would listen to this cd over and over, to the point where my parents had to had it from me because I was driving them nuts. As I got older I don't listen to it as much as other PF albums but it's still great. Learning to Fly is one of the highlights of the album. The heavy synth and airy guitar solo really add to the song and gives it an amazing atmosphere.

6. Comfortably Numb - The Wall - Not much I can say about this song because for the most part everything has been said. This is the song that made me want a guitar at 9 years old, I remember playing air guitar to this solo countless times. When I did finally get a guitar it was the first solo I learned how to play (played it poorly back then :lol) I was obsessed with it for quite some time.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2013, 06:25:15 AM »
8. Time - Dark Side Of The Moon - I used to love this song because it was a cool song. It had a interesting opening with the clocks, which kicks into this dark sort of drum solo section. The verses are song beautifully, the back and forth between David and Richard is perfect and it all comes to an end with the reprise of Breathe. Over the years though I've really appreciate the song more because of the lyrics. It's truly great writing about getting older and some of the lines really stick with me. Off DSoTM I think this song stands the best on it's own.

I appreciate everyone's lists and I love PF; but I love them so much I couldn't really rank songs quite so easily... sure they would rise and fall much more often than album rankings. Having said that...

Time will always be one of my favorite songs ever. It's musical qualities, lyrics and composition are just superb and the song has always been personal for me as I realized how short life really is at a young age.  :hefdaddy

Offline Man-Erg

« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2013, 06:36:04 AM »
A Momentary Lapse of Reason is probably my least favorite album ever (of those that I've heard, of course).

Offline Mladen

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2013, 08:32:30 AM »
I'm not a fan of AMLOR, but Learning to fly is one of its few highlight, that's for sure.

And what can be said about the other two classics that hasn't already been said?  :hefdaddy

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »
Imo AMLOR is an excellent album. Ah well. I'd predict your top 5 but I'm too lazy. Maybe your number 1.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:25 AM »
Great updates! Time and Comfortably Numb scored similarly high for me, and Learning to Fly missed the list only barely, such a great tune.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »
I am also a fan of A Momentary Lapse of Reason. It's not perfect but there's some real good stuff there "Learning to Fly" included.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2013, 10:58:59 AM »
The majority of AMLOR is really good.  Okay, The Dogs of War is weak, the two A New Machine tunes are lame, and the studio version of Sorrow is too heavy and emotionless (unlike the live versions, which slay), but the rest is very worthy. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
^What he said. "On the Turning Away" is my fav track on that album. Would probably make my top 20

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
Three great songs. Learning to Fly is definitely the best off AMLoR, a very underrated album in my opinion.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2013, 08:05:39 PM »
The majority of AMLOR is really good.  Okay, The Dogs of War is weak, the two A New Machine tunes are lame, and the studio version of Sorrow is too heavy and emotionless (unlike the live versions, which slay), but the rest is very worthy. 

Agreed. The album sounds so stale. The songs really do come alive when performed...um... live. I listen to Delicate Sound of Thunder often, but sold AMLoR a long time ago.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »
Following this now, it should be quite interesting to read. However, I won't do one of these top 20s yet; I don't know all PF albums well enough for this.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »
Writing up some more now, I was away at a golf tournament so I got distracted

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »
5. Wish You Were Here - Wish You Were Here - Another song that has been over explained and over analyzed but it deserves all the attention it gets. To me this is about as simple as a song gets, there isn't much to it but that's part of it's beauty. Everything comes together and to me it's one of those rare blends of lyrics and music that are just perfect for one another.

4. Yet Another Movie - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason - I wouldn't rank this song so high if it wasn't the first song I can remember myself being obsessed with. It's a great song, all the effects at the beginning create a wonderful atmosphere and the solo at the end is fantastic. It has such a soaring quality to it that puts the song over the top.

2 songs today, 2 tomorrow, and the day after I'll post my number 1 :)

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »
Surprised to see Yet Another Movie. It's a very underrated song, but I wouldn't put it this high. Good to see some recognition for it of course. Wish You Were Here is another classic.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2013, 08:06:15 PM »
4. Yet Another Movie - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason - I wouldn't rank this song so high if it wasn't the first song I can remember myself being obsessed with. It's a great song, all the effects at the beginning create a wonderful atmosphere and the solo at the end is fantastic. It has such a soaring quality to it that puts the song over the top.

Been ages since I've heard the album version, but I've always loved the live version. I remember it being the first song I'd ever heard with a movie clip in it, which for me at that time, was awesome.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »
Second to last update!:

3. Speak To Me/Breathe - Dark Side Of The Moon I lumped these two tracks together because they flow into each other so well. These two are such a great opener to an album that is just spectacular, the tone is set and the bar is high. Honestly when I was compiling my list I didn't think Breathe would get ranked so high but I just kept moving it up after each revision. There is a certain quality to the song that just makes it stick with me all day after hearing it. I'll often find myself singing the song throughout the day.

2. High Hopes - Division Bell - This song is the best close to any PF record, it's a great song to close out their career as a band as well, if I remember correctly it was the last song to be finished from the DB recording sessions. The song has all the elements it needs to be a perfect song, it takes it's time to develop into a powerful ending with the strings and the lap steel solo from David. A song that has always struck a chord with me, it's a perfect end to a great PF record.

Tomorrow my number 1!!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2013, 10:47:50 PM »
Two good, but overrated songs in my opinion.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2013, 02:22:55 AM »
Both are among my favourite PF tracks.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2013, 03:50:16 AM »
Breathe isn't one of my favourites from DSOTM, but I enjoy it a lot. High Hopes is simply spectacular. :tup

Offline masterthes

« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »
Two great choices. I don't think I'd rank Breathe as high, but I definitely see why you would

Offline Mladen

« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »
Always great to see Breathe so high.  :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2013, 06:46:06 PM »
1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Wish You Were Here - Talk to me 5 years ago and this song wasn't even in my top 5 but every time I revisit PF this song always seems to get better. There are always new things that I'm discovering with each listen, and I'm on many, many listens of the song. It's perfect from start to finish, it doesn't seem to lag like Echoes does. All the parts flow from one another beautifully and the atmosphere of the song couldn't be more perfect. It's a very haunting song, one that when I hear it sticks with me for some time after. All in all it doesn't get better than this IMO.

There you have it, that's my list! Sorry for the many delays!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2013, 07:15:14 PM »
Can't go wrong with Shine On.  :tup

Great list overall! Really enjoyed it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:27 AM »
Heyyyyy we have the same #1! :hifive:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2013, 04:43:43 AM »
Great choice for #1. It's probably my #1 as well, at least the first part.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2013, 05:21:50 AM »
Heyyyyy we have the same #1! :hifive:

Yup, I'm eager to see the next list :)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
Yup, I'm eager to see the next list :)

As am I, therefore:

Unlegit, you're up!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »
Alright, finalizing my list right now, will likely start either tonight or tomorrow.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pink Floyd Top 20 - Now Up: Unlegit (Page 4)
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2013, 05:55:20 AM »
cool :tup can't wait to read it .

Offline Unlegit

Re: Pink Floyd Top 20 - Now Up: Unlegit (Page 4)
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
Let's get this on the road!

20. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast

The title pretty much sums up what this is: a very psychedelic song with Alan, supposedly one of Pink Floyd's roadies, describing his breakfast. For the most part, I don't really care for this type of song, but this one is really fun to listen to. If you don't care for Pink Floyd's early period, I recommend this song, as it is one of my favorites.

19. Take it Back

Take it Back doesn't really have that "normal" Pink Floyd sound, but admittedly, I still really like it. It's definitely a lot more poppy sounding in many ways, especially with the synth-like keyboard sound. Gilmour's vocals are great here, and sound evne better coupled with the background singers.

18. Mother

Great song off of The Wall. The acoustic sections are nice, but nothing extraordinary. The real highlight here is the instrumental section, and while short, is really nice, especially the guitar solo. I also like the switch off singing of Waters and Gilmour.

17. What Do You Want From Me

Another song coming from The Division Bell. This song has a very blues-influenced feel to it, I guess sort of similar to Gilmour's solo albums, but not really. The background vocals are very fitting here. The mini guitar riffs are really cool; I wish there was a full on guitar solo.