Author Topic: Pink Floyd Top 20 - Now Up: wasteland (Page 5)  (Read 7397 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Pink Floyd Top 20 - Now Up: wasteland (Page 5)
« on: December 22, 2012, 04:23:09 PM »
All that talk about Pink Floyd in the Pink Floyd survivor gave me this idea - I've been wanting to write something in a while and since there are quite a few PF fans abound, there'll probably be some following here as well. I don't know if someone wants to take over after I'm done or not - if you do, let me know.

Up next:

- ReaperKK
- Unlegit
- wasteland
- Lolzeez

And without further ado, we begin, three at a time. Feel free to comment, make snide remarks or whatever tickles your fancy upon reading these.

20. Us and Them - The Dark Side of the Moon

Recently voted as the best song on DSOTM throught DTF consensus, I can imagine that many would place this higher, but I'm not one of these people (obviously). Yes, it's a great song and I really enjoy it, especially the main guitar/piano melodies, and the sax on the Pulse version is pretty swell as well, but Pink Floyd has quite some (19) better songs, so it only just makes the list.

19. One Of These Days - Meddle

Another great song from a great and underrated album - sure, most people agree that Echoes is off-the-charts amazing, but the other songs go unappreciated in context, which is a shame. The main groove of this song is pretty awesome and Gilmour's guitar work is great throughout. Not much else to say to this one, I guess. It's a great start to one of PF's best records and my favourite PF instrumental.

18. Keep Talking - The Division Bell

I probably rank The Division Bell higher than most people, and this song is one of the reasons for that. The main riff (or what you want to call it) is simple but very catchy and the samples are used to maximum effect. Gilmour's soloing in this song is top-notch as well - even though he isn't the most technical guy out there, his sense of melody is unparalleled. The song could have done without the background vocals towards the end, though, but it's still a great song and one that I rarely see getting the love that it, in my opinion, deserves.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:09:35 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pink Floyd Top 20
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 05:01:38 PM »
Huge PF fan, probably my favorite band of all time. I wanna do a Top 20 after you!

As for the list:

One of these days is a great track, probably would make my Top 20, I probably listen to it more than Echoes.

Keep Talking is a great song, PULSE version is even better.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 05:09:39 PM »
Meddle and The Division Bell are my #3 and #4 Pink Floyd albums respectively, so it's great to see songs from those records here.
I will be following this one.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 05:10:18 PM »
What's the top 2?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 05:16:11 PM »
I love The Division Bell (I may like it more than The Wall) but Keep Talking isn't one of my favorites. Its a good song but there are others that I think are better like Coming Back To Life, High Hopes Wearing The Inside Out, and A Great Day For Freedom. Hopefully one of those 4 will be on your list.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:31:38 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 05:25:13 PM »
Animals and Dark Side of the Moon

I don't think I'll ever understand the allure of Animals. Don't get me wrong it's a great album however it's definitely the weakest of the 70's releases (With maybe Obscured By Clouds being exception). Dogs is the best track and pretty much the only track that is memorable.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
Nice idea. I'll be listening to the songs as you post them. I've never been on fire for Pink Floyd (more of a Roger Waters fanboy), so maybe this will help.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »
Just listened. I have heard but am mostly unfamiliar with PF's albums that are not part of the "Big Four". One Of These Days was spectacular. Keep Talking was interesting, too. Wright's synth lines especially shone out. He turns that normally cheesy 80's keyboard patch into something magical.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:56:36 PM »
Cool! Could I do a top 20 after ReaperKK?

All great tracks on this update.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »
Following!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 01:30:07 AM »
Sign me up after reaperKK and unlegit, Tom  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 04:16:50 AM »
17. Fearless - Meddle

Another great song off of Meddle. This is a very soothing song with some great acoustic guitars and a very simple structure, but offers some very good and thought-provoking lyrics all the same. It kinda feels like a storm waiting to break loose, but it never does, and that's kinda the appeal, if that makes any sense. I'm not the biggest fan of the outro, though, I never really got what that was supposed to accomplish, but yeah.

16. Fat Old Sun - Atom Heart Mother

Another very soothing tune with some gorgeous guitar work. The lyrics are great again and they show that while Waters was probably Pink Floyd's best lyricist, Gilmour was no slouch either. They seem to be about an impending death and how you deal with it, or at least's that my interpretation. The guitar solo in the second half of the song is one of my favourite Gilmour solos, it just fits the song and its mood in a way that few others do.

15. Coming Back to Life - The Division Bell

Another one off of The Division Bell? Yes, now shut up, because this song is great. Some more great lyrics by Gilmour, this time dealing with regret, I think, a very relatable topic, but still written in a very poetic manner. The vocal melodies are what make this song, though, they're absolutely gorgeous. The Pulse version is even better than the studio version, Gilmour's delivery of the vocals there never fails to send chills down my spine, especially during the intro part, where it's only him and the keys.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 04:46:46 AM »
Fearless  :heart

Love that song. Oh and btw,following

Better have High Hopes and Pigs (TDO) somewhere on your list. Oh and Us And Them needs to be higher.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 04:48:39 AM »
Great pick with Fat old sun.  :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 07:11:39 AM »
20. Us and Them - The Dark Side of the Moon

Recently voted as the best song on DSOTM throught DTF consensus

I just wanted to point out that winning a survivor and being voted "the best" is not the same thing.

In a survivor, each round eliminates what is, by majority vote, the "weakest" or "worst".  The problem is that really great songs, or songs which you or I or any other given individual might think are great, often polarize people.  What makes it great to us is exactly what bugs the shit out of other people.  That's why we so often see songs voted off early and people saying "WTF?!  That's the best song on the album!"  You get enough people who feel that way and happen to be online for the voting that day, and a song which is also the favorite of many can easily be eliminated.

As things proceed, I often find myself looking at the choices and my faves are already gone, and all I'm doing is voting from what's left.  Picking off the weakest one at a time is definitely not the same as picking the strongest overall.  If we were doing that, there would be exactly one round of voting per album.  Pick your favorite, the highest number of votes wins, move to next album.  If we did that, I'd bet that the results would be different, every time.

Having a "survivor" -- when you think about it -- is a bizarre and completely assbackwards way of determining the best.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »
Great three picks!

Fearless - Great tune, something that always sticks in my head.

Fat Old Sun - I never really got into this tune until I saw the live version on "Remember That Night" dvd.

Coming Back To Life - like the album version, love the PULSE version.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »
I'd consider doing this, but I'm one of those "Dark Side and after" fans, so my list probably wouldn't be very interesting.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »
I wanna do one of these. Sign me up bro.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 12:32:36 PM »
Sure thing!

14. Wish You Were Here - Wish You Were Here

What a great song. So simple and yet so heartfelt, with some tasty playing from all instrumentalists, especially Wright's keys give the whole thing a lot of depth. Some great lyrics that everyone can relate to, delivered with the usual sense of poetry; I'm not the biggest fan of Roger Waters as a person, but he really was one of the best lyricists in music. The outro drags on a tad too long, but apart from that, this song is perfect.

13. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun - A Saucerful of Secrets

One of Pink Floyd's earliest masterpieces, this song showed the astounding potential that the group had. Built around a very simplistic but spacey and haunting keyboard and bass motif with barely audible lyrics in the background, this song is what I would show someone who asked me what psychedelic music is. Funnily enough, I used to hate this song, but when I relistened for the survivor, I suddenly found new appreciation for it and now it's one of my favourites.

12. Time - The Dark Side of the Moon

Beautiful intro on this one, perfect layering of keys, guitars and percussion, and the rest of the song doesn't disappoint either. Some very good lyrics again, with an astounding delivery, the "Home - home again" part is probably my favourite. The only part of this song that I don't like all that much is the transition from the intro into the sung passages. Sure, they're both great but the transition is a little jarring. Other than that, this song is a flawless masterpiece.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »
Both updates have some great tracks! The first is a little more original while this one is more of the classics, not that that's a bad thing.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Great update however Set The Controls isn't a top 20 song for me, it's ok.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
Great batch!  :tup

Maybe WYWH and Time would find a spot in my top 10 spot, though ;)
- Marco

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »
Time is possibly my favourite PF song :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »
Nice to see Coming Back To Life. As overplayed as it is, Time is my favorite PF song.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun is a great song. Time is a masterpiece and Wish You Were Here while not in my top 20,is still a great song.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 04:11:54 AM »
Thanks for all the interest!

11. Dogs - Animals

Since I listed Animals as my second favourite PF album, you were probably all wondering when a song from that would show up here. Well, here it is. As I probably don't have to tell anyone, Dogs is pretty much 17 minutes of awesomeness. Great, great lyrics and some of Gilmour's best guitar work in Pink Floyd. Really, all of this song is awesome, but I'm especially partial to the "Who was..." part, that's the climax of the song for me and one of Pink Floyd's best moments for sure.

10. A Great Day for Freedom - The Division Bell

Placing this over Dogs will probably cause some of you to doubt my sanity, but I simply enjoy it more. Yes, Dogs is a masterpiece in ways that this one can never achieve, but I have to be in the right mood for it, otherwise I'll probably skip it if it comes up on shuffle - not so with A Great Day for Freedom. With lyrics about the fall of the Berlin Wall, it hits very close to home, because even though I wasn't even born, it was probably an event that shaped my life a lot, if that makes any sense and I hear a lot about the event from my family, so it was always an interesting topic for me. Musically, it echoes the lyrics perfectly, with both hope and disappointment resonating somewhere in there. The vocal melodies are nothing short of gorgeous as well.

09. Hey You - The Wall

Probably everyone on this forum knows that I think that The Wall, as an album, is overrated, but that doesn't stop individual songs from that album being awesome, and Hey You is definitely one of them. Interestingly, I actually heard the DT cover of this song before the original and that inspired me to check out The Wall, and while it left me a little underwhelmed, I still conceded that Pink Floyd's version of Hey You is far superior to the DT one. Water's vocals just fit the tune a lot better, especially in terms of emotional delivery and Gilmour's guitar solo after the "I'm coming home" part is nothing short of amazing. If all of The Wall were like this, no other Pink Floyd album could match up, but sadly, it isn't.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:01:16 PM by Scorpion »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 04:19:04 AM »
I've not listened to dogs in years, maybe I should make up for my madness, now. And I agree with the other two songs, they are just great. Also, I think I like the DT cover more than the original Hey You. But again, I'm not a fan of Water's voice.
- Marco

Offline Mladen

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 04:43:43 AM »
Never really liked A Great Day for Freedom. The other two, however, are classics.  :hefdaddy

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 06:43:24 AM »
Not a fan of dogs or a great day for freedom :/

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »
Cool I'll follow the rest of this!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 06:54:57 AM »
Three great picks, they would all be around #10 for me as well.
Squ

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
Never really liked A Great Day for Freedom. The other two, however, are classics.  :hefdaddy

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 11:36:51 AM »
Eh, don't care for Dogs or A Great Day for Freedom but Hey You is great.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
All 3 are great choices but Hey You is a little overrated, imo.