Author Topic: Forward Shapes and Marco Minnemann  (Read 1004 times)

Offline userx

Forward Shapes and Marco Minnemann
« on: December 22, 2012, 04:36:55 AM »
While listening to the progarchives playlist while doing something else, rarely a song pulls me out of whatever I was doing and by the time the playlist reaches it's end I usually don't remeber any song in particular - that' to me means - nothing there  worthy of my time because although I appreciate musical complexities which you discover by listening more deeply I also believe that an artist also must find a way to chanel his art through more accessible means, i.e for a perfect composition in my mind you need to have both the musical complexity and accessibility which might be difficult to accomplish and that's why I am of the opinion that there is ever so little good music in this world and I am extremely picky.

However, one day I'm writing something on my computer and the progarchives playlist plays in the background. Come song number 3: Forward shapes: Mirrors of you and I stop what i was doing to repeat the song. this resultet with me downloading the album (while it was still downloadable) and listening it for 21 days now about 2-3 times a day without listening to anything else whatsoever.

Only yesterday I'm thinking: Drums are really fitting everywhere. I can' remember having the same feeling listening to anything else recently. and I'm thinking I might be subjectieve and I feraed that the the drummer is just a regular Joe who just has a good ear for these songs. If you asked me to tell you: I would have told you that there's the best druming I have heard in a while but I would be reluctant to say so because I'd be afraid that the drummer is nothing special. Yesterday, I found out that none other than Marco Minnemann did the drums on this album which gave me the inal push to say: yes the drums are fantastic, and marco Minneman is fantastic. then I also realised that the same feeling never came while listening to ADTOE and the feeling that Minnemann is far "better" drummer than Mangini but that another thing (point is you know the drums are good when they themselves show themselves to you, not when you need to look for whatever it is good in them because that usually means damage control and some sort of compromise critique.

Anyway, a fantastic album I would recommend to anyone liking DT. For me, in my top3 albums of all time, but opinions differ as well as range of music you've been exposed to

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Forward Shapes and Marco Minnemann
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:02:01 PM »
I also think Minnemann is better that Mangini but to each his own. I have listened to a couple of his solo albums as well as some of his former bands and the guy can pull off about anything and can do it really good.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline userx

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:24:14 AM »
also, this thread wan't supposed to be about Marco Minnemann but about this new band Forward Shapes and their debut Legacy and I strongly recommend getting it (since I'm disappointed that noone here commented on it).

Anyway here's the only song that can be found on youtube which is my 4th favorite from the album (my top 3 being the 1st three songs):

Forward Shapes - Proclivity (track no.7)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khov-JLnvmM&feature=share

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »
I also think Minnemann is better that Mangini but to each his own. I have listened to a couple of his solo albums as well as some of his former bands and the guy can pull off about anything and can do it really good.
Were you the one that sent me his song "Sperm" on my roulette?  :rollin

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
Why would you be upset if it was an unknown drummer? He could very well be way better than anyone.

Anyways pretty interesting stuff.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline userx

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »
Why would you be upset if it was an unknown drummer? He could very well be way better than anyone.

As I said I was afraid that my subjectivity was getting the best of me in a way that the drums maybe weren't that good objectively. But when I found about Minnemann I thought to myself: Wow man, you can really notice these things even when you're subjective :). Bottom line, I noticed something strange (good) about drums but wasn't sure whether it was because I liked the music :)

So, I found three other songs and an album sampler you can listen to for free:
https://soundcloud.com/forwardshapes/elusive-instrumental-full-song
https://soundcloud.com/forwardshapes/degrees-of-freedom
this one's radio edit: https://soundcloud.com/forwardshapes/holding-on-radio-edit

https://soundcloud.com/forwardshapes/legacy-album-sampler

Still none of these are in my top 3-4 from the album but I'm interested what those with the prog ear have to say
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:20:39 AM by userx »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 02:29:29 PM »

As I said I was afraid that my subjectivity was getting the best of me in a way that the drums maybe weren't that good objectively. But when I found about Minnemann I thought to myself: Wow man, you can really notice these things even when you're subjective :). Bottom line, I noticed something strange (good) about drums but wasn't sure whether it was because I liked the music :)

Ahh...I get ya.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »
Were you the one that sent me his song "Sperm" on my roulette?  :rollin

Probably  :lol

Edit: I heard one of those songs and I liked it. I'll listen to some more
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 03:00:12 PM by Nekov »
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline userx

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 01:33:22 AM »
to me, top tracks are 1. 2. 3. and 7. none of which I can find for download anymore. I also read some of the reviews and many of them think that this band if they remain active are "the next big thing" "gonna be huge" "not understand why they aren't signed yet" all the way to the singer that is characterised like "female James LaBrie" :)

by the way I generaly don't like female vocals but I'm helpless here :)