Author Topic: The Mayan Factor  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
The Mayan Factor
« on: December 21, 2012, 09:13:09 PM »
Despite the fact that I always use these guys as my secret trump card during roulette rounds, I thought I'd finally start a topic so /everyone/ can listen to how amazing these guys are.

The Mayan Factor formed a bit before 2003 and released their debut album "In Lake Ch'" in 2003. You could describe their sound as "art rock" I suppose, alternative with prog influences and a very heavy earth-ish vibe, think the Earth section of Thrice's Alchemy Index -- lots of that kind of influence, tons of acoustic guitar and hints at a tribal-type feel during certain songs. Their music is somewhat dark and moody, full of atmosphere and emotion. Their second album, "44" was released in 2005 and was a bit more prog/alternative rock. While the first album featured three songs with a heavy rap/scream near the end of the album, 44 was completely absent of these style vocals. A few years later, the vocalist, Ray Ray, passed away, unfortunately, and it seemed as though the band was done. However, TODAY, the band released an album that had previously been demos by their vocalist that they had edited and recorded over, called "Yesterdays Son." And what a fitting day to do it, right? The new album has a much lighter sound, almost very happy on various songs, and it's very sad yet uplifting, knowing the history of the band. The Mayan Factor are performing their last show tonight, but will soon be starting a new band together with a new vocalist under a new name to continue on their vocalist's legacy.

IN ANY CASE, definitely check out these three songs, very indicative of their style and sound:

Warflower - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7dTksrEW-I

Hopi Elders - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4dDiPpJFzA

Preacher's Daughter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSMWmaLPSDY

The band's vocalist had a rough childhood and life, and it is very apparent through his lyrics at times-- however, the music is beautiful and sometimes even haunting. I urge you to at least listen to Warflower, as it is one of my favorite songs ever. :tup

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Mayan Factor
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:20:11 PM »
...maybe if I put "70s prog featuring Steven Wilson" in the title people will actually listen and reply to this

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 11:37:42 PM »
oooh... Steven Wilson? WHERE??!?!?

jk

I'll add them to my list of bands to check out soon. Probably maybe possible when I get home from work
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 01:50:03 AM »
The song you sent me for my roulette was pretty cool.  :tup

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
...maybe if I put "70s prog featuring Steven Wilson" in the title people will actually listen and reply to this

Throw in "guest appearance by Devin Townsend" and you're golden here.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »
Received these guys in my roulette from Heretic. Quite good.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
Sweet, some replies~~ Maybe having SW and DT in the description would help. :lol

Zantera, definitely listen to one of their albums in full. Doesn't matter which, they're all at least 4.5/5 for me.

WindMaster-- glad you enjoyed them. Looking forward to seeing what you think of their new album if you get around to listening to it! :)

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
Last.fm recommended this band to me a while back and I checked out one of their songs. Sounded pretty cool, but for some reason I never listened to any more of their music. Maybe I should try to get into them now...

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 05:35:39 AM »
I heard some of their music a few years ago now, but I lost the album when my hard drive got wiped and haven't listened since. I'll get hold of it again because I remember it being pretty cool stuff.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 07:20:28 AM »
Aim For The Sky has been my phone alarm almost one year now. It's pretty good song and perfect for the alarm along Warflower. Other songs are quite meh in my opinion.

EDIT: Just remembered Focus-Reborn - Cool reference to Riders of the Storm!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »
Yeah, that reference is pretty awesome. I'd definitely say check out 44 and the new one, Yesterdays Son, seems like you've only heard the stuff off of In Lake Ch'? 

Anyways, you guys totally need to check out full albums by these guys. The atmosphere alone on the albums is enough!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 01:31:42 AM »
Yeah, that reference is pretty awesome. I'd definitely say check out 44 and the new one, Yesterdays Son, seems like you've only heard the stuff off of In Lake Ch'? 

Anyways, you guys totally need to check out full albums by these guys. The atmosphere alone on the albums is enough!

No, actually I listened to 44 but didn't like it. Now I'm just listening to Yesterdays Son, sounds a lot better!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 07:12:12 AM »
Listening to the song Warflower. The music sounds cool, but I'm really bothered by the obvious autotune on the vocals.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .