Author Topic: How to be a better person  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: How to be a better person
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 03:05:15 PM »
I understand where your coming from just doesn't fit my modeus operandum (sp) I don't base my happiness of material things or keeping up with the Jones's , try to instill that on my kids, which isn't always easy now adays with all the new fangled gadgets

I'm lucky enough to be comfortable living within my means  and try to seperate my wants from my needs which isn't always easy for some people

In that case, I picked a bad example.  I'm just saying that even if you're content with your current situation, everybody has things, even just little things, that they can think of that would make things just that much better.  You have to have goals.  Working towards these goals means pushing yourself to be more than you are.  It's great to be happy with who you are, but I think we should always be trying to improve ourselves.  Maybe not everyone sees it that way.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 03:08:29 PM »
A lot of people I've seen claim to "not care what anyone else thinks about them" seem pretty insistent that you know that they are the type of people who don't care what anyone else thinks about them.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
A lot of people I've seen claim to "not care what anyone else thinks about them" seem pretty insistent that you know that they are the type of people who don't care what anyone else thinks about them.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 01:16:50 AM »

:lol

And also, I agree with everything Orbert has said. Hitting the nail on the head. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 08:12:51 AM »
I understand where your coming from just doesn't fit my modeus operandum (sp) I don't base my happiness of material things or keeping up with the Jones's , try to instill that on my kids, which isn't always easy now adays with all the new fangled gadgets

I'm lucky enough to be comfortable living within my means  and try to seperate my wants from my needs which isn't always easy for some people

In that case, I picked a bad example.  I'm just saying that even if you're content with your current situation, everybody has things, even just little things, that they can think of that would make things just that much better.  You have to have goals.  Working towards these goals means pushing yourself to be more than you are.  It's great to be happy with who you are, but I think we should always be trying to improve ourselves.  Maybe not everyone sees it that way.

Bingo.....
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »
Just for clarification, you don't think there's any room for improvement in who you are as a person?
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »
Just for clarification, you don't think there's any room for improvement in who you are as a person?

NO i'm sure there is I just don't strive for it..I am content 
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »
Even when I agree with something he's saying, I tend to disagree with how he's conveying it now. He also does one of the worst things any columnist can do; State that if you disagree at all, you're only proving their point. If you need to build a defense mechanism into your writing, you're doing it wrong.
I think sometimes it can be good to address potential counter arguments in your writing (e.g. if you are debating something), but "People that disagree are simply too immature to understand the point of the article" does ring alarm bells.

So while I don't think it's a perfect article or the best I've read on Cracked, I think there's basically one or two key messages that, even if they're not something to live by, I agree that everyone should really consider at some point.

If you're a creative person who doesn't actually create anything, a kind person who doesn't actually help others, a brave person who's never actually done anything courageous, a funny person who doesn't actually make people laugh, or an intelligent person who never actually does anything clever, then the only person to blame for people not appreciating you for the creative, kind, intelligent soul you are is yourself, not the "shallow" people who don't "care about what's on the inside".

You don't need to change your life because of it, but I think it is a harsh truth that's not too commonly heard, and that everyone should at least consider and remember. I'm sure at one point or another we've all seen ourselves one way because we feel that way on the inside, even if we can't point to anything we've actually done that demonstrates it. It's our responsibility to turn "who we are inside" into something tangible that other people can actually appreciate, not their responsibility to become mind readers.

And the other more practical side of it relating to work etc. (very useful to young people, I think) - you will be paid for what you do, not what you are. No one's going to pay you to just sit there and be smart, for example. They might pay you to use being smart to solve difficult problems that need to be solved to make money, but no one's just going to say "this person's a smart, decent, hard working guy - let's give him some money!"

At least that's the valuable material I can take away from this article. Young people thinking about their career and people who feel they don't get enough love for being good people on the inside, take note.

Or alternatively you could just watch Batman Begins and heed the, rather counter-intuitive sounding, quote: "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »
Damn, you should write for Cracked.  It is true that we tend to think we have qualities we don't actually have.  (For example, I've always fancied myself as "nice"  but have realized that I haven't really shown the world much evidence of it.) 

Offline Ħ

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »
One thing I have read often which might apply to the endeavor to be "better" (i.e be more useful to others) - fulfilling your roles. Stop meandering. Be the best father/mother/boss/salesman/student/frycook/etc that you can be. Don't just treat your roles like they aren't meaningful and won't amount to much, even if they are temporary.

*shrugs* That's just what I've heard, and it seems like good advice.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 01:50:27 AM »
Yes, it is!  :tup

I am quite fortunate to have those sentences sort well carved in my mind since early childhood.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco