Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 980155 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #11025 on: March 22, 2022, 11:50:21 AM »
My controversial opinion:

I like the modern, glossy production. If that means backing and/or click tracks, then so be it. It's still LIVE to me because they are still singing/playing live, and a few feet in front of me no less. The world's seriously greatest musicians. I am grateful!

I agree. I think their live show improved drastically after Mangini joined. I don't think it's necessarily because of Mangini, but they really concentrated on the presentation of the show. Starting with the ADTOE tour they had those weird (but cool) cube shaped screens and a more sophisticated light show. Before then I always felt like their shows were more low budget. Occasionally they would try to be higher budget and it seemed like a poor man's version.

Or he could have just made a pre recorded statement and lip synched to it pretty bad on purpose, lol

:rollin  That would have been amazing. 
Oh my god. That would have been some amazing Andy Kaufman stuff right there!

Online Trav86

« Reply #11026 on: March 22, 2022, 12:02:26 PM »
I remember leading up to the ADTOE tour, JP said something along the lines of “we’re going to use an actual production company to design our show. Instead of just us doing it.” And I’m sure that’s what they’ve done since.  It is much more professional now with lights and video created for each song. Before they kept using the same stock videos for different songs. You can’t do what they do now, if the setlist is constantly changing.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11027 on: March 22, 2022, 12:58:07 PM »
Personally, I tend toward liking both types of shows.  The larger productions shows (like the ones they've had since ADTOE as discussed) and the stripped down shows (my personal favorite being the 2010 Columbus OH show; GA admission and we were right in front of JP).  Each type of show has it's draws for me.  If I was forced to choose one over the other, I'd honestly choose the stripped down, spit flying, sweat-in-the-eyes show every time.  Making eye contact with JP for the majority of the show (and my wife catching a pick that he basically handed to her) will always stick with me.  I felt like the show was just for us.

Of the polished shows I've seen (at least one or two every tour since TOT), my favorite was likely the DC 2014 show for the Along for the Ride tour.  That show and setlist was just incredible for me!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11028 on: March 22, 2022, 06:57:10 PM »
Possibly super controversial... I generally do not care for some of James' vocals on that 1993 bootleg CD. Maybe he felt like pushing it up to 110% for the live shows at the time, but as I said elsewhere, he delivered an A+ performance for I&W, if he just hit 90% of that live, it would have been magnificent. But in going for that extra 10%, he does his performance and his skills a disservice.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11029 on: March 22, 2022, 07:12:20 PM »
Possibly super controversial... I generally do not care for some of James' vocals on that 1993 bootleg CD. Maybe he felt like pushing it up to 110% for the live shows at the time, but as I said elsewhere, he delivered an A+ performance for I&W, if he just hit 90% of that live, it would have been magnificent. But in going for that extra 10%, he does his performance and his skills a disservice.

Even in the I&W and Awake days, James wasn't perfect at every show. I did a big bootleg listening binge a couple of months ago from those tours. Some shows, James was on and some he wasn't.
I can say that they played a ton of shows during this time and there had to be wear and tear. I don't think their accomodations/travel were the greatest in those day. I know when a saw them a few nights later, it was snowing in Boston.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol