Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 980056 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #10465 on: December 23, 2020, 01:34:01 PM »
Just an observation.  JLB seems to be going for a darker vibe these days, the dark hair, lots of bracelets and rings, skulls on his shirts, and a lot ink.   
While watching Distant memories the other night, my friend asked "is that JLB's evil twin brother"?  She still loved his performance though. We watched Score about a week earlier so you can see the contrast.   :lol

Labrie still rocks btw!  :metal
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 01:49:28 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10466 on: December 23, 2020, 02:58:31 PM »
Yeah, I think he's kinda overdoing it but in the end it's just looks. I can't believe that he, as an adult man with nothing to prove, would feel miserable going through that because "that's the look that sells, gotta go for it, damn", if he does it, he must enjoy it and feel comfortable doing that, so kudos to him.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #10467 on: December 23, 2020, 03:41:26 PM »
The guy is a chaos agent. Walks into the tattoo shop at fifty fucking five years old and gets a sleeve right away featuring, amongst other things, an image of himself as a pirate, because he's so amused how it caught on that Jordan calls him that. Absolute nutcase. Love that for him.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline sam1oq

« Reply #10468 on: February 23, 2021, 05:05:59 AM »
WDADU is a great album with good production for its time. It's also much more consistent than almost any of their post-ToT albums (and FII).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10469 on: February 23, 2021, 05:29:40 AM »
WDADU is a great album with good production for its time. It's also much more consistent than almost any of their post-ToT albums (and FII).

I agree completely. I rank it Top 5 for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10470 on: February 23, 2021, 10:02:15 AM »

I wouldn't go as far as to say "great album," but I otherwise agree.  In particular, I have no real issues with the production, and it's probably the best DT album in terms of the bass production.  Had Labrie been on it, my view would change greatly.  Compare the Live at the Marquee version of TKH with the album version.  The former is about 20x better because of the vocals.  I typically rank WDADU ahead of FII, SC, BC&SL and TA.  Not quite sure where it falls relative to DOT, but the high points of ADTOE and DT12 elevate those albums above WDADU in my rankings.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10471 on: February 23, 2021, 12:24:07 PM »
Just an observation.  JLB seems to be going for a darker vibe these days, the dark hair, lots of bracelets and rings, skulls on his shirts, and a lot ink.   
While watching Distant memories the other night, my friend asked "is that JLB's evil twin brother"?  She still loved his performance though. We watched Score about a week earlier so you can see the contrast.   :lol

Labrie still rocks btw!  :metal

It's Terran James LaBrie.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10472 on: February 23, 2021, 02:12:00 PM »

Musically it's fabulous but I just can't get into Charlie's vocals.  Oddly enough, though, I LOVE his vocals on his solo albums, but I think his voice improved a LOT with age, which is the opposite of what happens to most vocalists as they age.

The live album "When Dream and Day Reunite" with LaBrie on vocals is a better-sounding take on those songs.  They sound a little weird with James but I think he improves the songs quite a bit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10473 on: February 23, 2021, 02:46:40 PM »

Musically it's fabulous but I just can't get into Charlie's vocals.  Oddly enough, though, I LOVE his vocals on his solo albums, but I think his voice improved a LOT with age, which is the opposite of what happens to most vocalists as they age.

The live album "When Dream and Day Reunite" with LaBrie on vocals is a better-sounding take on those songs.  They sound a little weird with James but I think he improves the songs quite a bit.

So when I do a DT album ranking, I always list WDADRu. So I agree with you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #10474 on: February 23, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »

Offline Metaldude

« Reply #10475 on: May 13, 2021, 10:02:34 PM »
These will be fighting words fer sure - Octavarium is kinda meh.
I don't mind the opening sequence but the rest is, well meh. Maybe I am not sophisticated enough to get it.
BITS is my fav DT song, but I often wonder if
"Sun, come shine my way
May healing waters bury all my pain"
would be better rendered thus-
"Sun, come shine my way,
May healing sunshine melt away my pain"
Or...
"Sun, come shine my way,
May healing waters wash away my pain..."
I think they can be shifted around vocally to fit.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #10476 on: May 13, 2021, 10:06:13 PM »
Your favorites will probably change many times. It took several listens for me to get and love Octavarium. Now its my no. 1. Some songs take a While to get. Take your time  :biggrin:

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #10477 on: May 13, 2021, 10:15:25 PM »
Your favorites will probably change many times. It took several listens for me to get and love Octavarium. Now its my no. 1. Some songs take a While to get. Take your time  :biggrin:

I never liked the album or the title track back when it came out. Now I love the title track but not the album.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #10478 on: May 14, 2021, 12:12:57 AM »

I never liked the album or the title track back when it came out. Now I love the title track but not the album.
I agree. RoaE, SS are top songs as well, but the rest is a bit meh. Still DT though..

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #10479 on: May 14, 2021, 12:24:09 AM »

and take the time  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10480 on: May 14, 2021, 08:59:04 AM »
I don't care for TALW, and I can take or leave IWBY.  The rest of the album is fantastic.  It's really cool that we have great live versions of almost the entire album (I'm guessing we won't ever get Never Enough with MP out of the band, unless it shows up on a Lost Not Forgotten release). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #10481 on: May 14, 2021, 10:39:19 AM »
I'd take the title track, SS and TW as the best tracks on the album. TROA and PA are very good too, but I don't really care about the other 3.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #10482 on: May 14, 2021, 11:28:27 AM »
-WDADU was one of the top 3 best DT albums
-Dominici is underrated (at least, in the studio...)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10483 on: May 14, 2021, 11:54:39 AM »
No argument from me on that - I love WDaDU!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #10484 on: May 14, 2021, 11:58:07 AM »

Eh.  not for me...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10485 on: May 14, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »
These will be fighting words fer sure - Octavarium is kinda meh.
I don't mind the opening sequence but the rest is, well meh. Maybe I am not sophisticated enough to get it.

For me, Octavarium can be broken down as follows:

0:00-3:48 - Complete waste of time
3:49-5:15 - Cool intro.  A flute solo?  That's cool.
5:16-7:58 - Kinda snoozy but not bad
7:58-8:46 - Nice chorus
8:46-12:16 - Second verse...a bit better than the first.  Nice build.
12:16-18:28 - NOW YOU"RE TALKING!!!  The instrumental sections leading into and out of the Full Circle section are epic, and I really dig Full Circle.
18:28-19:55 - Sometimes I overlook the Intervals section, but it's REALLY good.
18:56-end - Ok...NOW I can breathe.  There's a LOT happening here, but basically this 5+ minute section is the outro of the song, and it's a great way to close it out.

Overall, I love it, but I typically skip the Continuum/steel guitar intro and sometimes will skip the whole first half (if I'm pressed for time).

I don't care for TALW, and I can take or leave IWBY.  The rest of the album is fantastic.  It's really cool that we have great live versions of almost the entire album (I'm guessing we won't ever get Never Enough with MP out of the band, unless it shows up on a Lost Not Forgotten release). 

I've never been too much of a fan of TROAE.  A lot of sameness with TGP and TDS (another one like this?!  be careful what you ask for).  I like TALW.  These Walls is just ok, and I do NOT like IWBY.  This is where the "each song in a different key" thing hurt them.  It always seems like James is having to struggle too much on the chorus.  LOVE Panic Attack.  Don't like Never Enough (and HATE the lyrics).  ITNOG Pt. II is cool, and 8VM...see above.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10486 on: May 14, 2021, 12:48:09 PM »

Eh.  not for me...

geeeemo, I'm with you on that one.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #10487 on: May 14, 2021, 01:38:29 PM »

Eh.  not for me...

geeeemo, I'm with you on that one.

I really have tried. It just feels so "not smooth" or too choppy. There are some great parts, great guitar, but it feels a tad not right. I feel like DT evolved from here to Scenes, where they finally settled in - each album moving toward a better mix of prog and metal.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #10488 on: May 14, 2021, 04:50:27 PM »
I do feel like WDaDU has more to offer than its often-dismissed status would say about it, because there is a spontaneous, exciting creative energy to much of the album. Smoothly written or not, songs like A Fortune in Lies and Light Fuse and Get Away are pretty exhilirating imo. It's also easily one of the band's most metallic albums, which probably would've come across more witha production job that didn't sound like a demo. In a way, the occasional jankiness also feels like part of its charm as a debut from a young and ambitious band.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #10489 on: May 15, 2021, 08:17:37 AM »
WDADU was one of the top 3 best DT albums

until FII or Scenes was released.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #10490 on: May 15, 2021, 12:31:42 PM »
On its own, WDaDU is a fine album. Had it been released in ‘84-86 I think it would have found an audience, but even for 1989 a lot of it sounds dated with a few sprinkles, here and there, of the greatness to come.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10491 on: May 15, 2021, 02:03:57 PM »
It's very hard to get past the production and mix of the studio album. The songs themselves are fine and actually have a quite a lot of energy, you can sense that energy of a young band. But that energy is sucked up and the album doesn't represent that well at all. If it had a more punchier mix, and production, that could reveal that energy that the album is lacking as is.

These songs show themselves live, And you'll hear that energy when listening to these songs played during their early years.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #10492 on: May 16, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »
When it comes to long epics, I tend to find myself listening to ITPOE more often than ACOS.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10493 on: May 16, 2021, 03:56:09 PM »
When it comes to long epics, I tend to find myself listening to ITPOE more often than ACOS.

I've said it before but i find ACOS to be their worst Epic/Multi-Part Song.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10494 on: May 16, 2021, 03:58:25 PM »
I always liked their Octavarium look, the perfect balance between being badass rockers, and adult men going well into their 40s.

We deffo need this Petrucci back. Growing massive bushy beards is a trend and i'm sure in a few years JP will go back to the goatee.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10495 on: May 16, 2021, 04:03:50 PM »
My thought for the day :

Images and Words already sounded dated 13 years later in 2005 when Octavarium came out.

Now it's 16 years since Octavarium and it still sounds fresh.

My opinion of course. I&W has that super clean early 90s sound and that horrible snare sound whilst Octavarium still sounds modern and punhcy and yet with clarity and headroom.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #10496 on: May 16, 2021, 04:14:04 PM »
This for me also. Especially the Chaos in Motion version.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #10497 on: May 16, 2021, 04:44:34 PM »
My thought for the day :

Images and Words already sounded dated 13 years later in 2005 when Octavarium came out.

Images and Words sounded dated in 1992

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10498 on: May 16, 2021, 07:46:07 PM »
On its own, WDaDU is a fine album. Had it been released in ‘84-86 I think it would have found an audience, but even for 1989 a lot of it sounds dated with a few sprinkles, here and there, of the greatness to come.
It's very hard to get past the production and mix of the studio album. The songs themselves are fine and actually have a quite a lot of energy, you can sense that energy of a young band. But that energy is sucked up and the album doesn't represent that well at all. If it had a more punchier mix, and production, that could reveal that energy that the album is lacking as is.

These songs show themselves live, And you'll hear that energy when listening to these songs played during their early years.
The thing is, you guys are looking at WDaDU after the fact. Had you been there when there was no other DT albums to compare it to, likely your opinion would be different. That certainly is the case for me. Not saying that it sounds perfect by any stretch, but I'm pretty sure you would view it differently even now.

My thought for the day :

Images and Words sounded dated in 1992
Did you pick it up in 1992?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10499 on: May 16, 2021, 07:50:45 PM »
Saying something sounds dated is the most baseless criticism ever.  Most music sounds dated in the sense that it sounds of its time.  The Beatles music totally sounds like it's from the 60's, thus it sounds dated as well. 

Besides, even if you do not the triggered drums and/or some of the songs, Images and Words sounds awesome.  You can hear everything clearly, and the melodies literally leap out of the speakers at you.  Most bands who have done all or most of their studio work since the 90's would be so lucky for any of their albums to sound that good.