Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979602 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #10220 on: October 05, 2020, 10:55:22 AM »
^Nice^
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #10221 on: October 05, 2020, 12:12:49 PM »

In The Presence Of Enemies is their worst Epic.

I used to think the same. But now, it's one of their best song and epic, IMO. Especially the second part is amazing. Too bad DT seems less interested about playing pt2.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online pg1067

« Reply #10222 on: October 05, 2020, 12:47:37 PM »
I don't think there is anything at all dumb about John Cage or his compositions.  They show an elevated viewpoint of music, and what it means, and what can be achieved with it.  It's almost a deconstruction of composition.

I'm surprised you are just now learning about 4'33".  It's fairly well-known, and I know it's been discussed here on the forum before.  But maybe it was a long time ago.

One of the points of 4'33" is for the audience member to focus on the lack of sound, which opens one up to all of the real sound happening all around them.  Plus, it's cool to just be quite for a while, although apparently it unnerves some people.

Opinions and all, but "sit there and do nothing for four and a half minutes" isn't even a "composition," and something that consists only of a bunch of droning chords that "is scheduled to have a duration of 639 years" and which ostensibly starts with a 17-month rest is pretty much the height of "dumb," IMO.  I can't comment on anything else he did because, after those two things, I have no interest in seeking any of it out.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10223 on: October 05, 2020, 01:08:15 PM »
I don't think there is anything at all dumb about John Cage or his compositions.  They show an elevated viewpoint of music, and what it means, and what can be achieved with it.  It's almost a deconstruction of composition.

I'm surprised you are just now learning about 4'33".  It's fairly well-known, and I know it's been discussed here on the forum before.  But maybe it was a long time ago.

One of the points of 4'33" is for the audience member to focus on the lack of sound, which opens one up to all of the real sound happening all around them.  Plus, it's cool to just be quite for a while, although apparently it unnerves some people.

I understand what he is trying to do.

He's trying to get the musician to listen to the environment, as the environment is the musician now. Listening in to how these sounds create a rhythm, and sometimes a melody. That is the composition of the piece.

If you think it's just about Silence, to me, you aren't really listening to the song.  :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10224 on: October 05, 2020, 01:56:24 PM »
Yeah, I likewise "get" what he is trying to achieve.  But I also do not see any artistic merit to it otherwise and have zero interest.  Just because I get it doesn't mean it is a good idea.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #10225 on: October 05, 2020, 03:36:29 PM »
Yeah, I likewise "get" what he is trying to achieve.  But I also do not see any artistic merit to it otherwise and have zero interest.  Just because I get it doesn't mean it is a good idea.

I do and think it's fucking brilliant.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online pg1067

« Reply #10226 on: October 05, 2020, 04:11:14 PM »
This whole discussion reminds me of this "painting":

which sold for $43 million.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #10227 on: October 05, 2020, 05:25:29 PM »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online pg1067

« Reply #10228 on: October 05, 2020, 05:59:05 PM »
tl:dw

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #10229 on: October 05, 2020, 08:28:19 PM »
The distinction of "real art" from "not real/degenerate/art in airquotes" is a tool used by fascists to exert their cultural superiority & enforce the (culturally rooted) status quo of art by targeting works that question it (especially when that distaste turns into vandalism or harassment of the creators). Not to say that you're doing either, but to imply that that painting or 4'33" simply has less inherent value is what I'm talking about. Norms & conventions are cool & all, but if something's value is tied to how closely it follows them, then progressive music (& thus, this entire forum) wouldn't be here. :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10230 on: October 06, 2020, 01:03:44 AM »
...or, to put it more simply, somebody is allowed to consider a piece made of silence a silly and pretentious thing without harboring at the same time a desire to invade Poland  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #10231 on: October 06, 2020, 01:44:10 AM »
Well obviously, but that doesn't make it not a composition, or the painting not a painting, or either of them less valuable objectively. Opinions I understand, but devaluing its status another thing entirely, especially when that's mostly motivated by the art's deviation from the status quo (or rather, the dominant culture).

Just watch the video. It has examples & explains it better than I ever could.

Online pg1067

« Reply #10232 on: October 06, 2020, 09:25:54 AM »
Well obviously, but that doesn't make it not a composition, or the painting not a painting, or either of them less valuable objectively. Opinions I understand, but devaluing its status another thing entirely. . . .

I've changed my mind.  And, not coincidentally, just this morning, I will be filing lawsuits against numerous people I found sitting quietly in public places for infringing the copyright in 4'33".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10233 on: October 06, 2020, 09:33:12 AM »
The distinction of "real art" from "not real/degenerate/art in airquotes" is a tool used by fascists to exert their cultural superiority & enforce the (culturally rooted) status quo of art by targeting works that question it (especially when that distaste turns into vandalism or harassment of the creators).

Perhaps.  But it is also a tool of those with decent tastes to simply call out that which is silly and has little to no artistic merit.  Don't confuse two.

*The views expressed in this post may or may not correlate to a desire to invade Poland.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #10234 on: October 06, 2020, 09:35:52 AM »
Well obviously, but that doesn't make it not a composition, or the painting not a painting, or either of them less valuable objectively. Opinions I understand, but devaluing its status another thing entirely. . . .

I've changed my mind.  And, not coincidentally, just this morning, I will be filing lawsuits against numerous people I found sitting quietly in public places for infringing the copyright in 4'33".

You have to be with instrument in hand, to be playing the piece... :biggrin:

Online NoFred

« Reply #10235 on: October 06, 2020, 11:02:24 AM »

You have to be with instrument in hand, to be playing the piece... :biggrin:

What’s an instrument?

The absurdity in al this is really in the 600+ year performance. So they have walled in the organ so the sound doesn’t bother anyone? The artist is fine the performance is wasteful

Online pg1067

« Reply #10236 on: October 06, 2020, 12:34:20 PM »
On a related note, I've written a sequel to 4'33" this morning:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10237 on: October 06, 2020, 12:40:11 PM »
Sequels are never as good as the originals.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #10238 on: October 06, 2020, 03:20:50 PM »
Cage had gone to a place where he expected total silence, and yet heard sound. "Until I die there will be sounds. And they will continue following my death. One need not fear about the future of music."[15] The realization as he saw it of the impossibility of silence led to the composition of 4′33″.

Now that makes even more sense to me why he made it.

On a related note, I've written a sequel to 4'33" this morning:

I think that's this piece...Alphonse Allais's 1897 Funeral March for the Obsequies of a Deaf Man, consisting of twenty-four blank measures

Also...

In defining noise music and its value, Paul Hegarty in Noise/Music: A History (2007) contends that Cage's 4′33″ represents the beginning of noise music proper. For Hegarty, noise music, as with 4′33″, is that music made up of incidental sounds that represent perfectly the tension between "desirable" sound (properly played musical notes) and undesirable "noise" that make up all noise music.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10239 on: October 06, 2020, 03:57:18 PM »
Here's how I probably rate the DT studio albums as of 22:52 on Tuesday night October 6th 2020.

1. Octavarium
2. Scenes From A Memory
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Distance Over Time
5. The Astonishing
6. Train of Thought
7. Dream Theater

8. A Dramatic Turn of Events
9. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
10. Falling Into infinity
11. Images and Words *
12. Awake
13. Systematic Chaos
14. When Dream And Day Unite

* I don't think I&W 'sucks' - but it's just too dated for me.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10240 on: October 06, 2020, 04:03:37 PM »

I don't think he was stupid. I conducted the piece once. One eye on the players (who do not play in the piece) and one eye on a stopwatch :D (opening and closing the piano lid three times too. Effort people. Effort.)

Yeah, I get the concept and what it's meant to illustrate, but if there were no performing instruments and only the sound of ambience, then technically it isn't something he composed at all.  It's just an observation of an idea being shared with others.  He's unveiling art that was already there and bringing it to the forefront.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10241 on: October 07, 2020, 07:27:15 AM »
Here is my chilling in Pennsylvania at 9:30 in the morning ranking:

1. Distance Over Time
2. Systematic Chaos
3. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
4. Train Of Thought
5. Scenes From A Memory
6. Falling Into Infinity
7. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
8. Octavarium
9. Dream Theater
10. Images And Words
11. A Dramatic Turn of Events
12. Awake
13. When Dream And Day Unite
14. The Astonishing

Offline Trav86

« Reply #10242 on: October 07, 2020, 07:49:40 AM »
Here’s my “posting for no reason/who gives a shit what I think” ranking...

Scenes From a Memory
Images and Words
The Astonishing
Distance Over Time
Awake
Train of Thought
A Dramatic Turn of Events
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Octavarium
Dream Theater
Falling Into Infinity
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Systematic Chaos
When Dream and Day Unite
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #10243 on: October 07, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »
My totally objectively correct until it changes again ranking:

1. Scenes From a Memory
2. Images & Words
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4. Awake
5. Octavarium
6.Train of Thought
7. Falling Into Infinity
8. A Dramatic Turn of Events
9. Distance Over Time
10. Dream Theater
11. Systematic Chaos
12. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
13. When Dream and Day Unite
14. The Astonishing

Online pg1067

« Reply #10244 on: October 07, 2020, 11:25:11 AM »
Ok...why not...

My rankings go in tier, and the order of albums within each tier is subject to change on any given day.

Top Tier
SFAM
I&W
SDOIT

Just a Notch Below
Awake
8VM
TOT

Really Good, but not quite up with the others...
DT12
ADTOE
DOT

Charlie
WDADU

Bottom of the Barrel
FII
BC&SL
SC
TA

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10245 on: October 07, 2020, 05:26:16 PM »
Lol the "Charlie" tier.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #10246 on: October 08, 2020, 01:28:03 AM »

Me too.

There are several aspects that this piece can evoke, but I cannot help but find the provocative side absolutely fascinating. You can search for discussions about 4'33 '' anywhere on the internet and you will see a crowd of people bothered by Cage's idea. Mockery and irony are the most frequent reactions and this is absolutely wonderful. They may even say that they are not bothered, but I don't believe them.  :)

In many other ways, I feel that Cage may not have been successful. But as a provocateur, there is no doubt about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10247 on: October 08, 2020, 03:00:51 AM »
Falling Into infinity has Lines In The Sand, Trial of Tears, Hell's Kitchen, Hollow Years...And New Millennium is pretty cool.

Those songs alone should save it from Last Place.

Plus the production is stellar.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #10248 on: October 08, 2020, 03:31:16 AM »
Not for me :P

#1. Images & Words
#2. Scenes From A Memory
#3. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
#4. Distance Over Time
#5. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
#6. The Astonishing
#7. Awake
#8. Octavarium (yeet)
#9. Systematic Chaos
10. When Dream & Day Unite
11. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
12. Dream Theater
13. Train Of Thought
14. Falling Into Infinity

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10249 on: October 08, 2020, 03:37:16 AM »
I'd have to go by tier too...

GOD TIER, UTTER MASTERPIECES
Scenes
Awake
Images and Words

JUST A LITTLE BELOW
Octavarium

GREAT ALBUMS ALL AROUND
Six Degrees
The Astonishing
Dramatic Turn
Train of Thought

YEAH, IT'S NOT THAT THEY'RE BAD, BUT....
Distance Over Time
Dream Theater
Falling Into Infinity

STILL GOOD BUT COME ON, I EXPECTED BETTER
Black Clouds
Systematic Chaos
When Dream and Day Unite
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10250 on: October 08, 2020, 03:53:58 AM »
Systematic Chaos was the first 'new' album since I became a fan and that was definitely a " not bad but I expected better " album.

Especially since I came on board with Octavarium - which is still my favourite.

SC basically follows the same pattern as that album but with the epic split into two.

DT12 didn't really have the " It's good but I expected better " factor apart from that snare sound. And everyone banging on about Surrender to reason when I have always found it meh.

Breaking All Illusions too for some reason... It just never grabbed me in the same way as a song like " This Is The Life " or "The Answer Lies Within"...

Along for the ride is MEH as well. But I think DT12's highs are better than ADTOE's Highs but it has worse lows. . IMO

Finally - Illumination theory has never really grabbed me either. I actually prefer the Count Of Tuscany... But i'm glad they've moved away from the mandatory 20 minute song on each album.

Online pg1067

« Reply #10251 on: October 08, 2020, 09:56:15 AM »
Lol the "Charlie" tier.

:biggrin:

Obviously, that was tongue-in-cheek, but WDADU would move up a tier with a better vocalist (which isn't saying that Charlie lacked merit, but....).

Black Clouds
Systematic Chaos
When Dream and Day Unite

I'm curious about this tier description as it relates to WDADU.  If you heard WDADU when Charlie was still in the band, then it was a completely unknown band, and you should have had no expectations at all.  On the other hand, if you only heard WDADU after being familiar with JLB era music (as is the case for most of us), what expectations did you have for the band's debut effort with a different singer.

Or, perhaps, as I often do, I'm overthinking this.   :)

Me too.

There are several aspects that this piece can evoke, but I cannot help but find the provocative side absolutely fascinating. You can search for discussions about 4'33 '' anywhere on the internet and you will see a crowd of people bothered by Cage's idea. Mockery and irony are the most frequent reactions and this is absolutely wonderful. They may even say that they are not bothered, but I don't believe them.  :)

In many other ways, I feel that Cage may not have been successful. But as a provocateur, there is no doubt about it.

That he apparently has succeeded in getting some people to regard 4'33" as a "composition," much less something that is "brilliant," indicates that succeeded at something (much in the same way that John Hammond succeeded with his flea circus).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10252 on: October 08, 2020, 10:02:00 AM »
Black Clouds
Systematic Chaos
When Dream and Day Unite

I'm curious about this tier description as it relates to WDADU.  If you heard WDADU when Charlie was still in the band, then it was a completely unknown band, and you should have had no expectations at all.  On the other hand, if you only heard WDADU after being familiar with JLB era music (as is the case for most of us), what expectations did you have for the band's debut effort with a different singer.

Or, perhaps, as I often do, I'm overthinking this.   :)

Yeah, you do  :D I generically lumped together the albums I'm not crazy for, maybe the most correct approach is having  a Charlie tier like you did 'cause the debut is for very obvious reasons unlike anything they've ever done since.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #10253 on: October 08, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »

Me too.

That he apparently has succeeded in getting some people to regard 4'33" as a "composition," much less something that is "brilliant," indicates that succeeded at something (much in the same way that John Hammond succeeded with his flea circus).

No one will think that the "composition is brilliant" in itself. This is foolish.
It is not the "composition" that is brilliant, the idea is that it is. Conceptual art. The product is irrelevant, obviously.
Certainly, not everyone will think the same way, but that is part of the world.

Another factor that makes me like the idea (besides the teasing) is that for years I thought it was something about silence, but it is not. It's about listening. If people tried to listen to the piece and think about it, perhaps they discover interesting things. But at this point I believe that Cage's purpose has failed.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #10254 on: October 08, 2020, 10:38:48 AM »
He wanted people to listen to The Sound of Silence.  I prefer the original version by Simon & Garfunkel, and the cover version by Disturbed myself.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White