Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 979389 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #9765 on: October 06, 2019, 08:32:18 AM »
Well, it's not like the rest of the band came forward praising it. Not a single band member has talked about it in the last ten years. I think JP might like it, JLB and JM are most likely indifferent toward the song, and JR and MM have nothing to do with it. Some of the B-sides from Falling into infinity have a better chance of returning to the set list than You not me.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9766 on: October 06, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »
So you're saying You Or Me is gonna come back?

Offline DTA

« Reply #9767 on: October 06, 2019, 11:11:41 AM »

At this point, You Or Me is the ultimate DT live rarity now that DLPM has been played but I doubt the band even remembers it exists

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9768 on: October 06, 2019, 12:20:54 PM »
Ah yes, “You Not Me” with the Desmond Child sing-a-long chorus that helped *almost* kill any momentum the band had going dead in its tracks, hated by both the band and the fans alike, its only redeeming quality is that it refocused the band to move away from 90s alternative dreck and back to prog greatness with SFAM. 

Yeah…probably not going to show up on a setlist anytime soon.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #9769 on: October 06, 2019, 12:34:52 PM »
Yeah. I really like it.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #9770 on: October 06, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »

At this point, You Or Me is the ultimate DT live rarity now that DLPM has been played but I doubt the band even remembers it exists

I really like "You or Me" a lot, but like many, I don't listen to "You not Me" at all.  In fact I think this is the only DT song that I never listen to.

However, if this is the kind of song that floats your boat, I think that is awesome and more power to you.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline NoFred

« Reply #9771 on: October 06, 2019, 08:39:10 PM »
I didn’t know enough then and I don’t know enough now... just let me breathe is a masterpiece the likes viper king wishes it could be :)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #9772 on: October 07, 2019, 03:30:48 AM »
I didn’t know enough then and I don’t know enough now... just let me breathe is a masterpiece the likes viper king wishes it could be :)
they're both as non-DT as can be though IMHO (and I don't listen to either of them), but considering your opinion (which I respect), they both are "masterpieces", masterpieces at not being typical DT pieces if you get my drift
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline DTA

« Reply #9773 on: October 07, 2019, 06:10:37 AM »

I really like "You or Me" a lot, but like many, I don't listen to "You not Me" at all.  In fact I think this is the only DT song that I never listen to.

However, if this is the kind of song that floats your boat, I think that is awesome and more power to you.

I’m the opposite. I think YNM is an excellent hard rock song while YOM is very unremarkable. There’s no wasted space in YNM while YOM has some unnecessary parts. Plus the chorus on Not is way better.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9774 on: October 07, 2019, 06:29:20 AM »
Plus the chorus on Not is way better.

AKA "the reason they got Desmond Child in the first place".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline NoFred

« Reply #9775 on: October 07, 2019, 06:34:01 AM »
they're both as non-DT as can be though IMHO (and I don't listen to either of them), but considering your opinion (which I respect), they both are "masterpieces", masterpieces at not being typical DT pieces if you get my drift
Lol yeah being non-DT was the “masterpiece” qualifier there, and between the two I like JLMB by a wide margin.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #9776 on: October 07, 2019, 06:47:57 AM »
Ah yes, “You Not Me” with the Desmond Child sing-a-long chorus that helped *almost* kill any momentum the band had going dead in its tracks, hated by both the band and the fans alike, its only redeeming quality is that it refocused the band to move away from 90s alternative dreck and back to prog greatness with SFAM. 

Yeah…probably not going to show up on a setlist anytime soon.

Hence the “controversial opinion”
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9777 on: October 07, 2019, 07:04:32 AM »
I don’t find YNM as bad as some people say it is, it just isn’t a very good song compared to the rest of the catalog (and this applies to most of FII anyway). Whether it should be included back on the setlists or not, I think not. Just listen to the few live versions available online and James sounds like he ‘s having a hard time with it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #9778 on: October 07, 2019, 07:37:27 AM »
I don’t find YNM as bad as some people say it is, it just isn’t a very good song compared to the rest of the catalog (and this applies to most of FII anyway). Whether it should be included back on the setlists or not, I think not. Just listen to the few live versions available online and James sounds like he ‘s having a hard time with it.

During a time when he was struggling with a lot of songs.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9779 on: October 07, 2019, 07:54:22 AM »
Gets a bad rap from fans all because MP doesn't like it.

No, it gets a bad rap from fans because most fans don't like it.

But if we're talking about "obscure" songs from the band's earlier days making a live comeback, I'd like to see Burning My Soul.  One of my least favorites from FII, but I've long felt that it would be great in a live setting.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9780 on: October 07, 2019, 08:33:57 AM »

But if we're talking about "obscure" songs from the band's earlier days making a live comeback, I'd like to see Burning My Soul.  One of my least favorites from FII, but I've long felt that it would be great in a live setting.
I actually heard BMS live during one of the concerts I attended on the 6D tour in 2002 (can't remember which one, but it was the "pre-excised" version, meaning what we now know as Hell's Kitchen was actually part of the piece making it 10 minutes long or thereabouts) I've never heard them play You Not Me live (and I've seen them 9 times so far, 3 times with MM, 6 times with MP)

Offline Ruba

« Reply #9781 on: October 07, 2019, 09:31:28 AM »

It was played on the 30th anniversary tour so not that long ago. I saw them play it and I would've been really surprised to see it, but a friend I went to the show with spoiled that beforehand. I actually like the song, but I would've preferred them playing Lines in the Sand by a large margin.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9782 on: October 07, 2019, 10:57:59 AM »
Not sure that it's controversial, but John Myung definitely doesn't play his fretless bass or the Chapman Stick on nearly enough songs, and they should both be incorporated on the next album.

I told him that, too.  Which means nothing will come of it lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9783 on: October 07, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »

I’m the opposite. I think YNM is an excellent hard rock song while YOM is very unremarkable. There’s no wasted space in YNM while YOM has some unnecessary parts. Plus the chorus on Not is way better.

I think YNM is vastly superior to YOM.  I also YNM isn't even close to DT's worst song.  IMO, it's in the top half of songs on FII.  That said, of the 36 DT album tracks I've yet to hear live, YNM isn't particular high on the list of those I'd like to hear.

In fact, of the songs I haven't heard live (and excluding those on DOT), the only ones I really hope will end up in a set list some day are Anna Lee, most of SDOIT (I've only heard SS, ATCR and LT/GF), Vacant and Wither.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #9784 on: October 07, 2019, 01:49:55 PM »
IMO the songs that DT has released that I consider to be "beneath them":

You Not Me
Burning My soul
Just let me breathe
I walk beside you
Build me up break me down
Hymn of a Thousand Voices

So count me in the "please never play you not me because it's one of your worst songs" category.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9785 on: October 07, 2019, 02:10:49 PM »
Hymn Of A Thousand Voices is really, good. It closes my Astonishing Abridged CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9786 on: October 07, 2019, 04:01:32 PM »
Hymn Of A Thousand Voices is really, good. It closes my Astonishing Abridged CD.

If you don’t have ONW closing an abridged version of TA, you’re doing it wrong :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9787 on: October 07, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »

If you don’t have ONW closing an abridged version of TA, you’re doing it wrong :P

I don't. It ends better with Hymn. The whole point of making an Abridged version was to trim the fat.

Our New World doesn't even feel like part of the story. Having Our New World close The Astonishing is like having Viper King come on after PBD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9788 on: October 07, 2019, 04:07:57 PM »
No, it's not quite that awesome.  But it is still pretty good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9789 on: October 07, 2019, 04:11:24 PM »
Well my point was that both songs feel totally unrelated musically to what comes before it.

And I love Viper King!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9790 on: October 07, 2019, 04:12:55 PM »
Hymn Of A Thousand Voices is kinda bad, but the story of TA doesn't really make sense without it, so I kinda have to leave it on my abridged CD. :-\

Our New World is much better though, & would've closed the album perfectly.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9791 on: October 08, 2019, 01:06:34 AM »
Astonishing is the perfect closing for The Astonishing.

Seriously, I know the album isn't everyone's cup of tea, but as a standalone song... is there really that much difference between the final section of the song, the "People can you hear us" section, and Grand Finale from Six Degrees, Surrender, Trust & Passion from Illumination Theory or Salvation from In the Presence of Enemies? they're all bombastic and larger than life closures to the respective albums.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #9792 on: October 08, 2019, 02:16:07 AM »
Astonishing is the perfect closing for The Astonishing.

Seriously, I know the album isn't everyone's cup of tea, but as a standalone song... is there really that much difference between the final section of the song, the "People can you hear us" section, and Grand Finale from Six Degrees, Surrender, Trust & Passion from Illumination Theory or Salvation from In the Presence of Enemies? they're all bombastic and larger than life closures to the respective albums.

I guess not, but context matters. SDOIT, ITPOE & IT had a fuck-ton of exciting & dramatic moments that had their build-ups felt like they meant something. In Astonishing on the other hand, the entire song is constructed on semi-triumphant reprises (many of which have already been played to death on the earlier album tracks), so the "People can you hear us" doesn't have nearly the same effect as it would if (hypothetically) it were at the end of a 20-minute epic whose previous movements were captivating in any way.

It'd be like if you played Razor's Edge out of context after The Answer Lies Within. It just wouldn't work because there'd be no tension to resolve from.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9793 on: October 08, 2019, 04:00:56 AM »
Oh well, I can see your point musically, but I was considering Astonishing the song in the context of the entire album, and how it serves as a big finale - I'm happy that it ends like that and not with Our New World or even the somehow triumphant, but less intense, Hymn of a 1000 Voices.

I know the song is made up of reprises from other temes of the album, but the ending is a cool and bombastic reprise. After all also Gran Finale from Six Degrees ends with the main theme (wanna know how a 42 minute songs end? you basically already know 6 minutes in, as the Overture ends), and Razor's Edge eargasmic solo follows Someone Like Him's melody, so I'm happy with the way Astonishing ends even if the song itself is nothing new and doesn't present, within the standalone song, much tension to serve a contrast to the eventual ending.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9794 on: October 08, 2019, 07:46:54 AM »
Astonishing is a fantastic finale.  No, it isn't as bombastic as the other finales IDNDT mentioned.  But for the type of album TA is, it is the perfect finish.  So satisfying.  If you've ever been to a broadway musical, you can just picture the sets of characters coming out onstage for their final bows to thunderous applause during each reprise.  Perfect. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:21:28 AM by bosk1 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9795 on: October 08, 2019, 07:53:43 AM »
Astonishing is a fantastic finale.  No, it isn't as bombastic as the other finales IDNDT mentioned.  But for the type of album TA is, it is the perfect finish.  So satisfying.  If you've ever been to a broadway musical, you can just picture the sets of characters coming out onstage for their final bows to thunderous during each reprise.  Perfect.

Exactly

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9796 on: October 08, 2019, 08:09:14 AM »

It depends case for case I guess, but I assume that most lyricists who pay homage, assume that someone, somewhere, knows the subject, and will realize the connection.

Bruce Dickinson has a song called A Tyranny of Souls whose first stanza is *entirely* and *precisely* the first lines of MacBeth, it's not indicated anywhere in the booklet. I know, "everyone" know Shakespeare while an obscure japanese manga is harder to identify, thus with more people that could assume the lyrics are entirely original, but I don't think copying words from literature or other media in songs is that uncommon.

A nitpick:  Priest is a Korean comic (manhwa), not Japanese.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9797 on: October 08, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
Astonishing is a fantastic finale.  No, it isn't as bombastic as the other finales IDNDT mentioned.  But for the type of album TA is, it is the perfect finish.  So satisfying.  If you've ever been to a broadway musical, you can just picture the sets of characters coming out onstage for their final bows to thunderous applause during each reprise.  Perfect.
and a logical ending too, musically speaking, because the motifs of every character get a reprise. Standard procedure in musical theatre. (I'd say it worked even better live too, I've seen TA live and I liked it quite a bit more than the album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #9798 on: October 08, 2019, 04:14:48 PM »

Indeed. We were discussing ONW as the closer because we were talking about an abridged version of the album, but Astonishing works quite well as a musical finale.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 04:58:51 PM by gzarruk »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9799 on: October 08, 2019, 04:36:24 PM »
I don't recall for sure, but I believe ONW was the closer on the promo copy.